Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:26:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 580
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 460
Total: 461

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: First fears board member to be infected by cunnilingus?  (Read 12672 times)

Offline ProbablyInfected

First fears board member to be infected by cunnilingus?
« on: July 27, 2006, 01:46:58 pm »
Hi everyone,

let me introduce myself shortly: I am probably going to be the first poster on the fears board who has been infected without having had unprotected vaginal intercourse or needle sharing. Now, a lot of people have probably made this claim before, but in my case, things really are different. If you bear with me for a moment, I will explain my situation.
I am a european male, 29 years old, who unfortunately happens to be extremely unpopular with women; without prostitutes, I would hardly ever get laid. As a consequence, I have been visiting prostitutes quite often, 70 times for the last two years might be a reasonable guess. As another consequence, I have never ever, in my whole life, had unprotected vaginal intercourse. I got unprotected blowjobs a total of three times (two from working girls, one from one of my extremely rare one night stands), and I gave oral once to a working girl who demanded this (I tried to explain to her that I considered this risky, but she said that she did not have any problems and after some convincing, I gave in). In the last two years, no condom ever broke on me, at least as far as I remember, and I have a habit of checking for condom failure after intercourse. Infection prior to this period has been ruled out by a negative HIV antibody test 12 weeks after a failed condom two years ago. Until a short time ago, I was considering my overall HIV risk to be acceptably low, because I felt I was playing by the rules, and that HIV was a scourge one could be quite safe of avoiding if one did so. In particular, I did not worry much about the cunnilingus incident (which by the way happened four months ago), because apart from a very short episode of licking her outer genitals, I had resorted to stimulating her genital area through rubbing my closed lips against her, working hard to avoid intake of genital fluids. I did force some of my bodily fluids out in the process, partly because I thought using spit as lubricant might be a good idea do avoid the skin of the lips getting broken, thus becoming a potential site of entry for HIV or other dangerous pathogens. In addition, most of my visits were to high-class brothels in germany, and in fact I never made use of street prostitution; so I thought that the girls I fucked with had a low probability of having HIV in the first place. However, it now appears that the enemy still sneaked in. Now, I can hear you say that I had close to no risk; but bear with me a little longer, the evidence will become more convincing as we go.
Around six weeks ago, I got athletes foot. It started with blisters in between two of my toes. The blisters were painful, but initially I did not think about it very much and would just put a disinfecting cream on them when they broke. After several weeks, I realized that this was not going to get better on its own and went to the doctor. At this point, the infected site had become badly inflamed because of heavy bacterial overgrowth. The inflammation receded completely and very swiftly upon starting antfungal and antibacterial treatment, but the fungal infection has not completely resolved even two weeks into application of topical antimycotics.
Now, you may still wonder what the matter is here. After all, a fungal infection that does not go away after two weeks is not that unusual, is it? And I agree that my athlete's foot, on its own, is no reason to panic. Neither is the fact that the site became infested with bacteria. It can be argued that I brought both upon myself, by wearing closed sport shoes in summer, not changing socks for weeks, and waiting another couple of weeks until seeing a doctor with my problem. In a sense, I could, up to this point, count myself happy that this did not spread further than the space between those two toes.
So, will there be a happy ending to this story? I doubt it, for there is a final twist to it: today, the hospital sent me the lab culture results from the swab that they had taken from the infected site on my foot. The things that were growing there, in addition to the fungal infection, were apparently not those which had been expected upon visual examination by the doctor who treated me. Instead, it seems to be so that I had THREE different strains of bacteria living in that wound concurrently. One of them was Pseudomonas aeruginosa, which is an opportunistic invader. Another is also a kind of bacterium that is rare in immunocompetent individuals. As I have no other risk factors for immunodeficiency, this leaves but one conclusion, I fear.... :'(
I will be going for an HIV test tomorrow. Where I live, there is no rapid testing, so I will have to wait for a whole week for my results. But then, it seems, I will join the ranks of the other boards here, having been infected through cunnilingus and having had extremely rapid progression to an immunodeficient state. I guess these characteristics will make me a first on this side of the board, but I also guess someone has to be first.
So, what is the take-home message? In my opinion, it should be: don't fail to take the possibility of infection through the oral route serious! It can happen, it does happen, and when it happens, it happens for a lifetime. While of course it is possible that in fact a condom broke on me without my noticing, I tend to doubt it; I can only reiterate the fact that I do check my condoms after sex, I do check that girls are using water-based CE-certified lubes on me, I did everything right in this respect. And, condom breakage is not a subtle thing, when it happens, it is quite easy to detect. So, this leaves oral in my case.
I just hope that this post prevents others from doing the same mistakes as myself. Staying safe means avoiding contact, in any way, shape, or form, to potentially infectious bodily fluids. Keep this in mind, and the things that are now about to happen to me won't also happen to me.

Stay safe, stay well,
ProbablyInfected

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: First fears board member to be infected by cunnilingus?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 02:45:20 pm »
ATTENTION GENERAL READERS OF THIS THREAD: PLEASE NOTE THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD IS MISLEADING. IT IMPLIES THE ORIGINATOR OF THE THREAD IS LIKELY TO HAVE BEEN INFECTED THROUGH CUNNILINGUS. NOTHING THAT HE REPORTS IN HIS OPENING OR SUBSEQUENT REMARKS SUPPORTS THAT SUPPOSITION ON HIS PART.

I do wish you good luck with your test result.

However, I also urge readers to consider that you are presuming to caution others against becoming infected through giving cunnilingus when you have in fact no proof at this point that you are HIV+. By the way, please clarify if you are saying you have never had unprotected intercourse with anyone and cunnilingus would be the only means by which you could have been infected, if indeed that has happened.

Your story also sounds remarkably similar to one which has shown up in this Forum before and I can't help wondering if you have written about this here previously under another name. 

We always advise anyone who's sexually active to get a full panel of STD tests done regularly, which means at least annually and every six months would be even better. Getting checked out regularly would certainly have been warranted before this given the experiences you have detailed. Are you now current with tests for other STDs?

At this point it remains uncertain as to whether you are in fact HIV+.  As I said before I wish you good luck with your test result.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 12:13:31 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline ProbablyInfected

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 03:12:08 pm »
I wish you well with your HIV test.

Thanks. Given the circumstances, I'd need a hell of a lot of luck indeed....

However, I urge readers to consider that you are presuming to caution others against becoming infected through giving cunnilingus when you have in fact no proof at this point that you are HIV+.

Well, I could theoretically have another type of immune disorder. But I dare say that all of them are rarer than HIV.

By the way, please clarify if you are saying you have never had unprotected intercourse with anyone

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. The only situation where I would consider having unprotected intercourse with anyone is in a mutually monogamous relationship. So far, nobody has ever fallen in love with me, so I have never had a relationship. Consequently, I have never ever had unprotected intercourse. Condoms have failed on me, but not during the time not covered by my last HIV test of two years past, which was negative.

and cunnilingus would be the only means by which you could have been infected, if indeed that has happened.

Can't think of any other way it could have happened, unless it happened by insertive oral, which I doubt because I consider getting a blowjob to be really much closer to zero risk than cunnilingus. Likewise, I consider protected vaginal intercourse essentially zero risk for HIV, if a latex condom is used and does not fail.

Your story also sounds remarkably similar to one which has shown up in this Forum before and I can't help wondering if you have written about this here previously under another name. 

Nope, I have not written about this under another name before. However, I would be curious to see a similar story, if you happen to have a link ready.

Are you now current with tests for other STDs?

I last checked for the most prevalent STD's (HSV-2, Chlamydia, Gonorrhea) one year ago and the result was that I never had one of them. I did not check for genital HPV infection, because it is my understanding that one cannot do anything about asymptomatic HPV infection, if it happens, and because I felt that I was following safer sex guidelines religiously anyway, so I thought I was not at risk of giving anything to anybody.

ProbablyInfected

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 03:32:33 pm »
You don't have to have an immune disorder to get Pseudomonas aeruginosa. You only have to have a port for it to enter.

Skin and soft tissue infections, including wound infections, pyoderma and dermatitis. Pseudomonas aeruginosa can cause a variety of skin infections, both localized and diffuse. The common predisposing factors are breakdown of the integument which may result from burns, trauma or dermatitis; high moisture conditions such as those found in the ear of swimmers and the toe webs of athletes and combat troops, in the perineal region and under diapers of infants, and on the skin of whirlpool and hot tub users. Individuals with AIDS are easily infected. Pseudomonas has also been implicated in folliculitis and unmanageable forms of acne vulgaris.

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 05:31:33 pm »
Probably,

It's HIGHLY unlikely for you to have been infected in what you describe.  Cunnilingus is very, very low risk (esp. wth the superficial way you performed it).

You could change your name to "ProbablyNOTInfected".

It's not surprising that you contracted a serious foot infection when "wearing closed sport shoes in summer, not changing socks for weeks, and waiting another couple of weeks until seeing a doctor with my problem".

Let us know what you find out.... but I would expect a negative result.

Morgan
Morgan Landers

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 07:49:44 pm »
It can be argued that I brought both upon myself, by wearing closed sport shoes in summer, not changing socks for weeks, and waiting another couple of weeks until seeing a doctor with my problem.

Prob,

You don't change your socks for weeks - and I bet you don't wash your feet either - and you wonder why you have weird bacteria growing between your toes?

No wonder you're not popular with the ladies. It sounds like a little personal hygiene wouldn't go amiss. Go take a shower (with soap) and quit blaming your foot problems on hiv. You haven't had a risk.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 09:38:26 pm »
Now that we have a few more unpleasant details your totally inappropriate thread title is even more offensive than I thought at first.

Nothing you are reporting supports that this is an HIV situation.

However, in more ways than one it would appear you need to clean up your act.

And I still wish you good luck with your test result.
Andy Velez

Offline Asianboy

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 11:36:37 pm »
Did i get that right ? there is a small risk with cunnilingus ?
Probably,

It's HIGHLY unlikely for you to have been infected in what you describe.  Cunnilingus is very, very low risk (esp. wth the superficial way you performed it).

You could change your name to "ProbablyNOTInfected".

It's not surprising that you contracted a serious foot infection when "wearing closed sport shoes in summer, not changing socks for weeks, and waiting another couple of weeks until seeing a doctor with my problem".

Let us know what you find out.... but I would expect a negative result.

Morgan

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 01:42:44 am »
Asianboy,

Cunnilingus can be a small risk with menstrual blood involved.  Seriously, you can relax about this "theoretical" risk.

Morgan
Morgan Landers

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 04:44:17 am »
Asian,

If you have questions, start your own thread. We do not tolerate thread hijacking, as you will discover when you read the Welcome Thread.

Start your own thread. Thank you for your cooperation.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline ProbablyInfected

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2006, 11:17:58 am »
Hello everyone,

I just picked up my test results. When I went to the clinic, I was really trembling with fear, not only of getting back a positive result, but also of in fact having to start treatment very soon, and of course because of the possibility that maybe infection would rule out any possibility of finding what I have always sought but so far not managed to get, namely the love of a nice young woman. Now, the news still has to sink into the deeper levels of my fear-ridden mind, but according to this test, which I have no reason not to trust, I am antibody-negative for HIV-1/2 and p24-antigene-negative as well, so clearly my fears turned out to be completely unfounded . I also realized that my unfounded and irrational level of HIV anxiety might have been offensive to some here; anyone who has been offended by my previous posts, and by my completely inappropriate user-name I truly wish to ask for their forgiveness. On a related issue, it would be interesting to know if I am allowed to change my user name or to create another account here, because the one I now have has clearly not been a choice to be proud of.
The next thing I will do now is get some rest, and some sleep. Thanks to everyone who has posted to this thread for their kind support, you did manage to give me some hope, and certainly helped me to find the strength to actually go through with testing and picking up the results.

Best of luck to all of you,
Probably_a_tiny_bit_stupid  ;)

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2006, 11:39:50 am »
GOOD FOR YOU!!!!  But this isn't a shock!  Move forward and we hope to NEVER see you here again for all the RIGHT reasons!

Andrew
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2006, 06:09:49 pm »
Probably,

Well, I hate to say I told you so...... oh the hell with it.  I told you so!

Morgan   ;)
Morgan Landers

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.