Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:27:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 285
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 281
Total: 281

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: lots of symptoms and ailments... awaiting three month mark  (Read 9895 times)

Offline Rory_G

lots of symptoms and ailments... awaiting three month mark
« on: June 23, 2012, 03:40:30 pm »
Hi all,

I'm a 30 year old male, relatively healthy, 10 sex partners total, just recently got out of a long term relationship.  I recently had a bout Guillain Barre syndrome and the timing has me worried the trigger could be HIV infection. Here are the facts/timeline

May 5 - sex with a woman I did not know well.  Used a condom but I was drunk and it came off inside her. 

May 9 - felt ill, burning pain in my lower abdomen, groin was tender/swollen (lymph nodes?)

May 16 - got tested for bacterial STIs, all clear

May 18 - started having neurological problems  (weakness, muscle spasms, difficulty swallowing).  This actually began about a week prior but only became very noticeable around the 18th.  Saw my doctor (and several others).  Had several neuro. tests over the coming weeks, all clear.

June 7 - Finally saw a neurologist who thinks my neurological problems were a mild case of Guillain Barre. I won't go into too much detail about GB itself but it usually has a viral cause.

June 22 - after weeks of gradually getting better from GB (still weak/tired but otherwise functional), I started to feel sick.  Sore throat and swollen neck lymph nodes, headache, small white-ish cankers in my mouth, and some diarrhea. 

I've called my doctor and asked for an HIV test.  He thinks I'm worrying too much (but then he thought that about my GB as well).  I will go to the lab at the three month mark.

My questions...

Could the timeline and symptoms I mention suggest HIV infection?  Maybe it wasn't what made me ill around May 8, or even what triggered GB, but I'm more worried about what I'm feeling now. 

Given that I've had these symptoms fairly quickly, is a three month wait entirely necessary?  What if I only waited, say, 2.5 months? That sounds silly but I really want to address this ASAP.

Thanks for your time...

Offline RapidRod

Re: lots of symptoms and ailments... awaiting three month mark
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 03:58:50 pm »
You don't have an HIV concern you never had an exposure.

Offline Rory_G

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 04:01:08 pm »
You don't have an HIV concern you never had an exposure.

I thought the sex on May 5 could be a possible exposure.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 04:12:07 pm »
You didn't hold onto the condom when you withdrew did you?

Offline Rory_G

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 04:15:18 pm »
You didn't hold onto the condom when you withdrew did you?

I guess not... I think it rolled up into her during sex.... I didn't notice... a stern reminder that drunk sex is usually a bad idea.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 04:55:56 pm »
Having the condom roll off while inside her was technically a risk. But only just. Until that happened you were protected. It was single and very brief possible exposure. HIV is significantly harder to transmit from female to male than the other way around.

Taking all of that into consideration I expect you will test negative. Test at 3 months and pick up your negative result.
Andy Velez

Offline Rory_G

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 05:13:05 pm »
Thanks Andy, I find this a bit reassuring. 

Still, my concerns are with the symptoms themselves, rather than the fact that I was unprotected with a stranger.  Any thoughts re: the symptoms, or is it all too vague?  Have you ever heard of HIV-related Guillain Barre?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 05:28:36 pm »
Neither the presence nor the absence of symptoms will ever tell you anything accurately about your HIV status. Only an HIV test taken at 3 months gives you that answer conclusively.

And I would expect a negative result for you.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 05:20:31 am »
Rory,

Did she (or you) have to dig the condom out of her? Because if not, then you're likely worrying over nothing where hiv is concerned. Even if it came off sometime during and was pushed up inside her, you're still unlikely to end up positive following this one-off.

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days. A six week (or more) negative is highly unlikely to change, but must be confirmed at the three month point.

You're past six weeks now, so if you test now and get a negative result (which I expect) that will be an excellent indication of your true hiv status.

If your doctor won't test you until three months, you can find a testing center near you by putting your zip code into poz.com's Health Services Directory.

I really don't see this as an hiv situation. GB can be caused by both viral and bacterial infections as well as a certain type of autoimmune disease and a certain type of cancer. So stop focusing on hiv.

Ann

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Rory_G

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 11:16:13 am »
Hi Ann,

Thanks very much for this.  I had to dig it out of her at one point.  There was definitely some unprotected contact.  But I still find this reassuring.  I will get tested soon, maybe in a week or so.  That will be about 8 weeks.

It's weird, I had one set of symptoms at the three day mark or so which seemed to trigger the GB.  Then I had to deal with the GB for just over a month.  Then, about a week ago (6 week mark)  I started to get another set of symptoms (swollen neck glands, extreme fatigue) that has me almost as worried as I was over GB. 

I will try not to freak out too much until I get tested.  Thanks again!

Offline Rory_G

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 05:46:00 pm »
One more question about seroconversion:  how is the rate of seroconversion affected by a person's general level of health?  Would a person with a strong immune system s/convert more quickly or slower?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 06:58:09 pm »
I'm not sure that you had what would even qualify as a very low level risk. For sure I expect you to test negative. And ARS symptoms do not come and go at different times. If they are going to appear at all they show up for a couple of weeks and then they are gone.

Whatever is going on with you has nothing to do with HIV and you should discuss those symptoms with your doctor.

I don't see this as an HIV situation and I expect you will test negative. 
Andy Velez

Offline Rory_G

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 01:24:37 pm »
Thanks again Ann and Andy.  Seeing my doctor today. Will get tested ASAP (just about 8 weeks now).

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 01:42:13 pm »
A negative at 8 weeks would be very close to an all-clear on HIV. Just to be perfectly certain it would be good to re-test at 3 months for a conclusive negative result.

Good luck.
Andy Velez

Offline Rory_G

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 05:59:56 pm »
saw my doctor today.  He didn't pay much mind to my current symptoms--aggravating, because the last time he did that I turned out to have Guillain Barre.  He couldn't feel anything wrong with my lymphs or spleen (again, not reassuring given all the symptoms I've had in the past week or so). 

Anyway, he gave me a lab req. for an HIV test but nothing else.  So, I may wait another two weeks or so before going in for testing. I'll try and keep my head on my shoulders til then.     

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 06:09:52 pm »
OK. I expect you to come out ok on the HIV test.
Andy Velez

Offline Rory_G

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 09:33:46 pm »
sorry to take up more of everyone's time, but these symptoms won't go away.  It's been a little over a week now.  Tender neck, armpits, groin, nausea, some diarrhea,  White-ish canker in my mouth, sore muscles, sore joints.  The malaise keeps getting worse and I know it's not just stress.  Any thoughts as to what else this could be?  Any other viruses that produce these symptoms?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 05:47:40 am »
Rory,

Our focus here is on hiv. We cannot give general diagnoses - or any diagnoses for that matter. All we can tell you is that whatever is going on is highly unlikely to have anything to do with hiv.

You're just going to have to wait for the appropriate time to test. There's nothing more we can tell you here.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Rory_G

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 05:23:33 pm »
just got blood tested.  It's the eight week mark, hopefully that's close enough for accuracy.  The lab tech said it would take two weeks.  This is going to be a long two weeks... living with these flu-like symptoms and all. 

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 06:52:55 pm »
If you get a negative at 8 weeks it strongly points towards a conclusive negative at 3 months since it's even questionable as to whether you had a risk at all.
Andy Velez

Offline Rory_G

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2012, 04:39:13 pm »
... I read in another thread that there's never been a man whose posted here that contracted HIV from a one-off with woman (i.e. through vaginal sex). 

If this is true, it makes me a bit more optimistic... still worried about these symptoms and wondering if whatever it is, is related to my bout of Guillain Barre.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2012, 04:51:53 pm »
Fortunately worries and wondering are not facts. And I still expect you to come out of this ok.
Andy Velez

Offline Rory_G

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2012, 05:22:38 pm »
Hi Ann and Andy,

Thanks very much for your patience and insight.  All that's keeping me somewhat composed right now is the chance that this may not be HIV... though my list of symptoms keeps growing... new:  dry mouth, nose, and eyes, eyes and skin are highly sensitive to sunlight... and, to top it off, I've been shedding some skin from the tip of my penis (I'm uncircumsized).

I have about 12 days to wait for my test results... I know there are some common sense factors saying I shouldn't stress too much, but I know my body and there's definitely something wrong, between the GB, and everything else.

I can't promise I won't keep going on like this.  I just felt like talking to someone, and right now, it seems this forum is all I've got. 

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2012, 06:52:47 pm »
None of your symptoms are in anyway HIV specific.

Unfortunately now you are busily misinterpreting everything that happens or doesn't happen to your body through HIV jitters.

Andy Velez

Offline Rory_G

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2012, 02:39:02 pm »

I've read on this forum that ARS symptoms won't last longer than two weeks. I've read other places on the web that they may last up to four weeks. Can someone comment on this? Are there any known instances of ARS lasting between two and four weeks?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2012, 03:12:38 pm »
If symptoms are going to show up at all, they last a couple of weeks. The average time to seroconversion is 22 days after a risky incident.

Do yourself a big favor and stop surfing the net about HIV. All you will do is find more to feed your fears with and all to no good purpose.

I expect you to come out of this situation ok.
Andy Velez

Offline Rory_G

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2012, 04:15:34 pm »
Thank you Andy, I know that is good advice... it's just that with these symptoms I can't do much at the moment, so my options are Netflix, Xbox and looking up HIV stuff.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2012, 06:50:33 pm »
Yah, well control yourself and nix on surfing the HIV stuff on the net. OK on Netflix and Xbox, whatever that is.
Andy Velez

Offline Rory_G

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2012, 07:51:05 pm »
Doctor called today.  Test came back negative. This was a blood test done at 7.5 weeks, during flu-like symptoms and well after neurological symptoms. So, I'm thinking I should be in the clear...  I will do a follow up at 13 weeks just to be sure.

I still have something going on (gotta be viral) but I'm close to taking HIV off the list. Thanks everyone for your help and guidance.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2012, 07:45:39 am »
That's happy news. I expect you will continue to test negative.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.