Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:34:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 795
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 591
Total: 592

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Don't even know what to feel  (Read 3873 times)

Offline DT

Don't even know what to feel
« on: August 28, 2012, 07:07:40 pm »
Hey there everyone.  So, recently my wife went through a battery of tests for her pregnancy and was told the test for HIV came back positive.  Through our last pregnancy (about a year and a half ago) she was negative.  I got tested today and I also am HIV+.  Neither of us really have a clue how this is possible.  We don't sleep around, and neither of us do drugs of any kind.  We suppose it could have happened during her C-Section, or possibly about a year ago, when I helped a fella that cut his arm pretty badly on a broken window (I had just sustained a cut on the back of my hand earlier that day, and didn't think before I helped the individual).  To make matters worse, my wife has been breastfeeding our boy up until about 2 weeks ago ... so we're having to get him tested as well.

Anyhow, I'm tired, frustrated, angry, scared ... well you know, pretty much every negative emotion that exists.  Seriously ... WTF?

Thanks for listening.  I suppose I'll likely get to know you guys and gals fairly well in the next few years.

Offline tednlou2

Re: Don't even know what to feel
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 02:14:47 am »
Just wanted to welcome you to the forums.  I wish you didn't have to come here, but it is what it is.  I won't speculate on the mode of infection.  Just wanted to say hello and I am sorry you both have to deal with this.  And, all the best for a negative result for your baby.  I know that would give you both a lot of relief. I look forward to hearing more from you. 

Ted

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Don't even know what to feel
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 05:27:24 am »
Unless the cut on the back of your hand was deep, gaping open and still bleeding (ie fresh) when you got this guy's blood on you, then that isn't a very likely source of your infection (if you are indeed poz).

Have you both had your positive antibody tests confirmed with Western Blot tests?

False positive antibody results can often happen during pregnancy, and sometimes they just happen. Western Blot testing will reveal whether you've had false positives or true positives. True, it would be a strange coincidence if you both got false positives, but it's not impossible. Stranger things have happened.

So, can you tell us whether or not you've both been confirmed positive with WB tests? The WB test is standard hiv diagnosis protocol but doctors who are inexperienced with hiv diagnosis don't always realise this. It's important that you check this out.

If you are both poz what matters now is not where the hiv came from, but how you deal with it from here on out. With today's meds hiv is no longer a death sentence, but it does require vigilant attention to your health. Either way, you're ultimately going to be ok.

By the way, when was the last time YOU had an hiv test before your wife tested poz? Just because she was negative the last time she was pregnant doesn't mean YOU were negative as well. It's possible (and much more likely than the blood scenario) that you were poz before your relationship with her and just didn't know it.

Exposure doesn't always equal infection. We've had negative wives post here who had positive husbands diagnosed during their relationships. I also know a woman personally who was having unprotected sex with a positive man for three years before he was diagnosed (it wasn't a new infection) and she remained hiv negative. This could have been true for you and your wife during the first few years of your relationship.

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.