Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:00:30 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 619
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 608
Total: 609

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Exposure risk? Sharing cocaine straws.  (Read 4785 times)

Offline peacheskeen

• Standard
Exposure risk? Sharing cocaine straws.
« on: October 25, 2019, 05:03:15 pm »
Hi there! After reading much conflicting information on the internet. I thought I'd reach out and give this forum (amazing what you guys do) a shot. I recently spent a night out with a friend who is newly positive (didn't know at the time) sharing everything from multiple cigarettes to cocaine. I know bad behavior, but it was a one off that I don't plan on repeating etc. etc.

My question is, is there risk of transmission here, especially considering his high viral load at the time? We snorted shared rolled up bills seconds after each other and my nose did bleed, can't speak to his though. I had also been sick leading up to this so there were likely irritations in my throat/nasal passage to begin with. 

Also while I'm here, sharing cigarettes/lipstick regardless of chapped lips shouldn't be an issue, right? My mind tells me an obvious no, but anxiety is a trip.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Exposure risk? Sharing cocaine straws.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 05:16:52 pm »
Nothing you mentioned is an HIV concern.

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline peacheskeen

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 05:20:26 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply Jim. So there is no risk here? I shouldn't get tested when the appropriate amount of time goes by (I'm in a monogamous relationship and have no other risky behavior)?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 05:23:15 pm by peacheskeen »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 05:29:50 pm »
No risk, no need to test over this. I'm sorry you are stressing about this but you might as well be asking me if sharing a cup of tea would be an HIV risk. It's not.

I'm in a monogamous relationship

If you have been or are engaging in unprotected intercourse with your partner this would as example meet all the biological conditions needed for acquiring HIV.

Now I don't judge couples that decide to engage in unprotected intercourse, it's often based on trust within a relationship, however, just note this trust or faith does not prevent HIV and any unprotected intercourse is simply accepting a possible risk to you of acquiring HIV.

It would be wrong of me not to point out this obvious HIV risk to you, so test regularly, understand your real risks.   

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid HIV infection:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, every time, no exceptions. Consider starting PrEP as an additional layer of HIV protection going forward

Keep in mind that some sexual practices which may be described as ‘safe’ in terms of HIV transmission might still pose a risk for transmission of other STI's, so please do get fully tested regularly and at least yearly for all STI's including but not limited to HIV and test more frequently if unprotected intercourse occurs

Also note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms and the only way of knowing is by testing.

More information on HIV Basics, PEP, TaSP and Transmission can be found through the links in my signature to our POZ pages, this includes information on HIV Testing

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the AM I Infected Forum you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here . It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be deleted.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline peacheskeen

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 05:40:55 pm »
Gotcha, thank you and sorry if this was insensitive at all, I was truly confused about the information re: sharing snorting devices that I have been reading online and couldn't find an example mentioning a bloody nose - hence looking for your expert opinion.

And yes, I agree with you and appreciate the reminder re:trust and usually use condoms and get tested once/twice a year to be safe but as my testing just took place this month I didn't want to put my partner at risk if there was one (which as you say, clearly there is not).

Have a great weekend and thank you again for your help today!

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 05:51:29 pm »
You're welcome.

sorry if this was insensitive at all

Don't worry, you're grand. Take it easy
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline peacheskeen

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 01:30:02 pm »
Oof sorry to be back here but I'm even more confused now. I went to the clinic to get tested to ease my mind as I've started to develop a fever and swollen lymph nodes all over my body, mainly neck and groin, (noting that it was negative but also is way to early for any conclusive results). My tester informed me that my actions, the bloody nose + sharing straw, were in fact a risk but a low one at that.

Truly hate to be a bother here and add to the back and forth, but would you mind elaborating on why this is not a risk in your assessment? Essentially the provider informed me that there could be microscopic blood that would be transmittable for an unknown amount of time taking into consideration my actions and my friends recent positive test results.  Is this in fact possible, although improbable?

I really appreciate your time, effort, and patience with me while I wait for the time to pass to a conclusive result.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2019, 01:42:55 pm »
Hiya,

I have to be honest and say I have a really hard time believing that a tester said: "microscopic blood " on objects like this would be a risk, shit if I stuck you with a needle myself it would take more. That said I once had a doctor who thought shaking hands was a risk, and another who thought sneezing was how HIV spread it's not if it was we would all be in quarantine and most of the planet infected by now.   

So sadly I do know first hand there are lots of misinformed people but I can't really help you with regards to what others say.

Snorting cocaine and, sharing the straw is not an HIV risk, although theoretically a Hepatitis risk but based on what you posted tiny at that so no panic and, only if there was blood to blood contact-route and a speck of blood would do it either and that's 50-100x times more infectious than HIV but ill presume the bill was not covered in blood. I'll spare you the don't do drugs nonsense, but I will say use your own bill if you can.

Where to start well back to basics ... HIV is extremely difficult to transmit and unbelievably fragile it does not remain infectious outside the human body (such as on surfaces or exposed to air) and it cannot reproduce outside a human host. See once outside the human body the receptors corrode and render it unable to infect.

Ultimately HIV transmission is always a biological event and biologically, four conditions need to be present simultaneously for HIV transmission to occur even in theory: The virus must be present in infectious body fluid from the HIV positive person, it must be present at sufficient levels to cause infection. There must be an effective route of transmission, and it must reach susceptible cells in another person.

All in all, you did not meet the requirements from what you posted for the transmission of HIV

The below is your only HIV risk posted here so far

If you have been or are engaging in unprotected intercourse with your partner this would as example meet all the biological conditions needed for acquiring HIV.

Now I don't judge couples that decide to engage in unprotected intercourse, it's often based on trust within a relationship, however, just note this trust or faith does not prevent HIV and any unprotected intercourse is simply accepting a possible risk to you of acquiring HIV.

It would be wrong of me not to point out this obvious HIV risk to you, so test regularly, understand your real risks.   

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid HIV infection:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, every time, no exceptions. Consider starting PrEP as an additional layer of HIV protection going forward

Keep in mind that some sexual practices which may be described as ‘safe’ in terms of HIV transmission might still pose a risk for transmission of other STI's, so please do get fully tested regularly and at least yearly for all STI's including but not limited to HIV and test more frequently if unprotected intercourse occurs

Also note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms and the only way of knowing is by testing.

More information on HIV Basics, PEP, TaSP and Transmission can be found through the links in my signature to our POZ pages, this includes information on HIV Testing

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the AM I Infected Forum you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here . It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be deleted.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 01:46:02 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline peacheskeen

• Standard
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2019, 02:01:28 pm »
Thanks Jim – I really appreciate your quick and straightforward reply. As for the tester, this wasn't a doctor by any means and he himself did not seem very confident in the risks of my case, whereas he mentioned he would have been if it was say, injection paraphernalia.

Hence my coming back here, for additional support/advice. Thanks for the answer. Is it safe to assume from your answer that even if the bill was covered in blood before I used it -- it would not longer be HIV infectious because of its exposure to the outside environment rendering it unable to infect?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2019, 02:17:41 pm »
 ;D You're welcome.

Is it safe to assume from your answer that even if the bill was covered in blood before I used it -- it would not longer be HIV infectious because of its exposure to the outside environment rendering it unable to infect?

Well, the extream case of the guy bleeding half to death might change my position slightly only slightly as there is only so much blood that could cover a bill.  I presume there was no ambulance required or hospitalization so my position remains no HIV risk.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline peacheskeen

• Standard
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2019, 02:23:45 pm »
 :D thank you. Appreciate that you can make me laugh at a time of panic.

Keep doing what you do and want to note how grateful I am for the resource you and your colleagues provide here.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2019, 02:24:37 pm »
You're welcome
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline balmo

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2021, 10:36:31 am »
Hi there,

I'm posting on behalf of my partner; she recently did cocaine with a person of unknown status, sharing a dollar bill to snort. At one point they both had bloody noses while continuing to share the bill, is there any possibility of exposure?

Thank you in advance, I am trying to help absolve her of her worry/anxiety.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2021, 10:56:43 am »
One and the same person asking questions already answered.

The bill was no HIV risk to you.
Permanent ban for the new account, 28-day ban on the old account.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 11:04:31 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2021, 11:10:05 am »
The HIV is fragile and would not survive in the ambient environment in a viable manner to cause infection by the actions you have described in your post.

Please access this link to learn how the virus is transmitted:

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/hiv-transmission-risks
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 11:16:28 am by Ptrk3 »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.