Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:56:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 608
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 585
Total: 586

Author Topic: Can a compliant prep user pass on HIV while remaining HIV neg?  (Read 6524 times)

Offline Alexnyc

• Standard
Can a compliant prep user pass on HIV while remaining HIV neg?
« on: September 09, 2019, 08:46:13 am »
I take prep every day, am hiv neg, and get tested every 3 months. If I have unprotected sex with a handful of regular partners, some of whom are not on prep, can I realistically pass on hiv to one of them that is not on prep while I remain hiv neg?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Can a compliant prep user pass on HIV while remaining HIV neg?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 10:13:31 am »
Hiya,

Okay so PrEP everyday and presumed negative HIV status based on last test results.

while I remain hiv neg?
Can a compliant prep user pass on HIV while remaining HIV neg?

Why the question? Is this just interest of has something happened?

Anyhow you can't pass on something you don't have. As for your HIV status PrEP is not a guarantee although if you are correctly adherent the risk of acquiring HIV is extremely minute. 

Now if one of your partners was posting as a "Am I infected" section for a risk assessment I would be telling them to test ... in action I would be telling them to seriously consider condoms & PrEP for the future to reduce their own risks.

Jim
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 10:16:36 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Alexnyc

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 01:03:49 pm »
Thanks for the clarification. A lot people not on prep suggest having unprotected sex of partner is on prep. I’m often asked. And I always wonder to what extent that may expose them to risk of contracting hiv considering I’m perfectly compliant with my prep regimen.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 02:13:02 pm »
Hiya

You're welcome. Look PrEP gives you a layer of protection from HIV, so keep looking after yourself.

A lot people not on prep suggest having unprotected sex of partner is on prep

Yeah, I bet they do. Let's be honest condoms are a pain although living with HIV is not always a party! Ultimately I think people are responsible for their own choices and protecting themselves.

If someone was to ask me "Was I at risk" after having condomless sex with a guy claiming to be on PrEP below would be my initial assessment

Trust does not prevent HIV. If the guy is indeed on PrEP that's great for him, because taken correctly it reduces his HIV risk.  You, however, have no way to know for sure about his PrEP usage or HIV status, neither do I.

Now no need to panic but my risk assessment is you engaged in sexual activity that met all the biological conditions required for the transmission of HIV and therefore I would recommend testing to confirm your HIV status

Also, I would recommend talking to your healthcare provider about starting PrEP yourself going forward as an additional layer of HIV prevention

Here's what you need to know to avoid HIV infection:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, every time, no exceptions. Consider starting PrEP as an additional layer of HIV protection going forward

Keep in mind that some sexual practices which may be described as ‘safe’ in terms of HIV transmission might still pose a risk for transmission of other STI's, so please do get fully tested regularly and at least yearly for all STI's including but not limited to HIV and test more frequently if unprotected intercourse occurs

Also, note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms and the only way of knowing is by testing.

More information on HIV Basics, PEP, TaSP and Transmission can be found through the links in my signature to our POZ pages

Kind regards

Jim
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 02:20:19 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.