Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:40:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 606
Total: 609

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: im poz wife is neg (question)  (Read 6177 times)

Offline midland moe

im poz wife is neg (question)
« on: August 17, 2008, 11:32:25 am »
Ive read alot of the answers here, and elsewhere, but I havent gotten a definitive...yes or no...as to my situation. Oral sex in general is described as "safer sex"...

I am hiv positive, diagnosed in april of this year. wife has tested twice and thankfully is negative. (tested right after I found out, and 3 months later.) We havent had any sexual contact since I found out.

here is my hypothetical question.

Is there a risk of transmission to her if I perform oral sex on her? I am STD free (hiv aside). I am not undetectable (yet) on my viral load, but assuming I achieve undetectable status from all I gather there is either NO RISK or virtually no risk to her becoming infected from me performing oral sex on her.

Diagnosed + 4/15/08               VL 570,000  cd4  85
started ATRIPLA 7/20/08         VL 301,757  cd4  45
8/22/08                                 VL       171  cd4  185
11/25/08    undetectable                           cd4  371

03/30/09    undetectable                           cd4  464
07/07/09    undetectable                           cd4  419
12/04/09    undetectable                           cd4  534
        cd4 % 20
04/09/10 undetectable                                cd4  667
         cd4%  22.1
07/16/10   undetectable                              cd4  573
         cd4%  23.8
03/25/11   undetectable                              cd4  655
         cd4%  29.4

Offline RapidRod

Re: im poz wife is neg (question)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 01:56:29 pm »
No.  There is no risk of you giving her HIV from going down on her. Use condoms for vaginal and anal sex and she won't contract HIV. Didn't you discuss this with your ID doctor?

Offline midland moe

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 02:01:11 pm »
No, I am getting treatment through the clinics at the local public hospital. They are extremely hurried during appointments, and answer any questions with a referral to counseling from some local HIV group or another...I admit I should seek help from counseling, but as of yet, I am relying on what I can read here and elsewhere on the net for my info. Its indigent healthcare inother words...they are not uncaring, just extremely busy and overworked...there is 1 nurse practicioner and 1 MD for the entire HIV clinic. (which services the entire city of roughly 600,000 people)

Thanks for your quick response Rod, but to be 100% clear in my mind...

there is NO chance of transmission thru oral sex me on her

or there is only a "theoretical" risk which could be described as minute or almost no risk?

also are we wise in waiting until I become "undetectable" before resuming even this type of activity?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 02:05:06 pm by midland moe »

cd4 % 20
         cd4%  22.1
         cd4%  23.8
         cd4%  29.4

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 03:56:00 pm »
Mid, I join Rod in affirming there is absolutely no risk to her in you performing oral on her.

You may want to know there are ongoing longterm studies of sero-discorandant couples, both straight and gay. There has been lots of unprotected mutual oral and only protected intercourse, both vaginal and anal. There results have been that not a single HIV negative partner has become infected.

Just keep using condoms for intercourse everytime.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline midland moe

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 04:29:52 pm »
Thank you Andy and Rod for your fast responses. I have looked and looked, and it seems that when assessing a "risk" to oral sex all of a sudden there doesnt seem to be a distinction between oral between a man and a woman and oral between 2 guys, where I can see that it is 2 entirely different activities taking place.

I guess for further assurance if anyone knows of any "official" literature or studies that I could be pointed to read on my own I'd be greatly appreciative.  I appreciate the info Ive gotten here, but for my sake and hers, I would like to get a second third fourth opinion etc...but Im not gonna ask everyone here to chime in...

a link to a study or website etc and I will do the reading myself..I just cant seem to find any that deals with man on woman oral sex exclusively, and from what I gather there does seem to be some risk associated with other types of oral sex...

I am not trying to be argumentative or discount anything you have passed on to me, but I do want to arm myself with as much info as I can. thanks so much for all the support...I get so much out of jsut reading here alot of the time.

cd4 % 20
         cd4%  22.1
         cd4%  23.8
         cd4%  29.4

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 03:48:25 am »
Moe,

You won't find a study that deals with man on woman oral sex exclusively because there isn't one. Saliva is not infectious and so there is no reason to do such a study. You would NOT be putting your wife at risk by going down on her.

You also won't be putting her at risk by having intercourse while you're wearing a condom. Condoms have been proven to prevent hiv infection, provided they are used correctly and consistently. Read through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use them with confidence.

And welcome to the forums!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline loop78

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 04:40:21 am »
I'm writing just to make you feel safer, as you've already been answered by some of the most knowledgeable people in this forum.

There is no risk on oral when the poz is the one performing oral sex on a neg. This is true whatever the sex of the two people involved.

What is more controversial is the risk associated with oral when the neg is performing oral sex on a poz. Here the opinions range from a "no risk" assessment to a "very low risk" one. Is in this last scenario where oral health, viral load and whether there is ejaculation may play a factor. Anyway, the studies Andy has quoted include this kind of practice, so the risk, if there is indeed one, is pretty low.

Welcome to the forums!

Offline dixieman

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 11:06:43 am »
Midland moe... I guess this gives you a get go to Eat away!...

Offline raveboijosh

• hooo ya
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 03:06:06 am »
well sorry to ask another question in someone else's but I have been completely baffled about the oral sex thing... I am gay.. and the positive one... should my partner not perform oral sex on me... I am undetectable.. I totally understand that intercourse should always be safe... but what about oral?

Offline loop78

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 04:09:32 am »
well sorry to ask another question in someone else's but I have been completely baffled about the oral sex thing... I am gay.. and the positive one... should my partner not perform oral sex on me... I am undetectable.. I totally understand that intercourse should always be safe... but what about oral?

Josh, the risk is supposed to be really really low. That really low risk is even lower given you're already undetectable. There are also the studies Andy mentioned of serodiscordant couples who had unprotected oral and there were no infections. However, ultimately it's up to both of you to decide where to draw the line of the level of risk you're able to assume.

For example, if you wanna know my personal view about this, I'm also in a serodiscordant relationship. However my viral load is pretty high, as I'm not on meds yet. That's why I decided not to have my partner go down on me. However, if I were undetectable, let's just say things would be different.  ;)

Sorry for the highjack!  :-[

Offline ArisGreekSquared

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 01:05:21 pm »
The risk is really low, however, if you have a tendency to pre-cum then it may not be recommended.  Your mouth does have protective enzymes to acquire HIV infection through your mouth but isn't 100% safe.  I'd say if you don't pre-cum there's no reason your partner can't give you a bj.

Offline raveboijosh

• hooo ya
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 11:53:00 pm »
thanks guys!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.