Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:14:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773209
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 543
Total: 544

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: U=U campaign - does it change anything?  (Read 3002 times)

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
U=U campaign - does it change anything?
« on: November 04, 2021, 02:58:17 pm »
U=U campaign

Might be an unpopular opinion but ill share and see what the thoughts are.

So seen a lot of posts on social media and people talking in HIV groups regarding how much difference this campaign means to people living with HIV ect. But I see few practically first-hand experiences of how it has made a difference.

So for me, the Swiss statement and TaSP isn't new, so maybe I am in the minority. The Questions and interactions I get are the same ludicrous crap as before U=U, except I  sometimes get asked if my VL is UD as if my viral load would somehow create a risk where non-existed in the first place, like using the same cup etc. and essential day to day contact.

The ignorant will remain ignorant no matter the slogan.

So, maybe my world is different from others, or I'm in the minority, right? So does anyone here have a directly good experience thanks to the U=U campaign and not the science behind it?

From my world and point of view, the only good thing about U=U is the attention to TaSP/Swiss statement as it did not get enough attention beforehand. However, it doesn't make a real difference and I have to admit I had ignored U=U when it started as a fad and it's far from a perfect message.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 03:36:11 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline daveR

Re: U=U campaign - does it change anything?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2021, 07:24:39 pm »
Nothing positive about it. It is only talked about inside HIV circles. The general public know nothing about it. Like many other things, if someone is not directly affected by some thing, they take no interest. I would be happy with it if they put the same amount of effort into advertising U=U as they put into the doom and gloom warnings of the 1980's.

At its current level of awareness, it is a waste of time.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2021, 08:40:54 pm »
The general public know nothing about it. Like many other things, if someone is not directly affected by some thing, they take no interest. I would be happy with it if they put the same amount of effort into advertising U=U as they put into the doom and gloom warnings of the 1980's.

At its current level of awareness, it is a waste of time.
^ totally this!
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline TabooPrincess

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2021, 01:31:59 pm »
I would say it’s not even properly known in hiv circles to be honest (UK)
I had a situation recently and asked my clinic for advice and was told it was ‘minimal risk’ rather than ‘no risk’. This from the supposed experts.
09/ 2008 - Seroconversion
11/2008 - Tested pos, cd4 640 vl 25400
12/2008 - cd4 794 vl 27798, 35%
03/2009 - cd4 844 vl 68846, 35%
06/2009 - cd4 476 vl 49151, 33% (pregnancy confirmed)
08/2009 - cd4 464 vl 54662, 32%
Started meds for pregnancy (Kaletra, AZT, Viread)
09/2009 - cd4 841 vl 3213, 42%
10/2009 - cd4 860 vl 1088, 41%
11/2009 - cd4 771 vl 563, 38%
12/2009 - cd4 885 vl 151 42%
Discontinued meds after baby born
02/2010 - cd4 841 vl 63781, 38%
05/2010 - cd4 1080 vl 113000, 39%
08/2010 - cd4 770 vl 109242
12/2010 - cd4 642 vl 111000, 34%
06/2011 - cd4 450 vl 222000, 33%
11/2011 - cd4 419 vl 212000, 24%
03/2012 - cd4 280 vl 118000, 26% (repeated Cd4 at 360)
05/2012 -cd4 360 vl 99,190
10/2012 Atripla, cd4 690, vl 80
12/2012 Darunavir, norvir, truvada, Cd4 680, vl u/d
07/2013 cd4 750,ud

Offline Séan_Dublin

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2021, 01:53:18 pm »
Hi Jim,

You're based in Ireland right? I'm sure you've been exposed to (excuse the pun) the big U=U campaign that's been running over the past while by certain public figure types (I don't know how else to describe them lol) within the gay community. My experience that if you follow that cohort on social media the U=U message and promotion is continuous which I think is amazing but I feel it probably only reaches the urban gay community in places like Dublin. I could be wrong though, especially with the younger gay community. They seem so informed these days. More than I was anyway (I'm 38).

I had a good experience at the weekend chatting to a guy on Grindr. He used the word clean in his message to me and I explained the problems with that word especially with people living with HIV and then he asked did I know my status. I said I did (it was the first time I declared it on an app since my diagnosis over a year ago). I said I was undetectable etc. He said that was cool and he knew about that because of the U=U message that he was seeing everywhere and because of a certain podcast. My sense is that the word might reach smaller communities quicker than larger communities. I was actually shaking telling him but felt great after. I can obviously only speak from a local experience (Ireland) and it might be different in other countries.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2021, 02:37:29 pm »
Hi Jim,

You're based in Ireland right? I'm sure you've been exposed to (excuse the pun) the big U=U campaign that's been running over the past while by certain public figure types (I don't know how else to describe them lol) within the gay community. My experience that if you follow that cohort on social media the U=U message and promotion is continuous which I think is amazing but I feel it probably only reaches the urban gay community in places like Dublin. I could be wrong though, especially with the younger gay community. They seem so informed these days. More than I was anyway (I'm 38).

I had a good experience at the weekend chatting to a guy on Grindr. He used the word clean in his message to me and I explained the problems with that word especially with people living with HIV and then he asked did I know my status. I said I did (it was the first time I declared it on an app since my diagnosis over a year ago). I said I was undetectable etc. He said that was cool and he knew about that because of the U=U message that he was seeing everywhere and because of a certain podcast. My sense is that the word might reach smaller communities quicker than larger communities. I was actually shaking telling him but felt great after. I can obviously only speak from a local experience (Ireland) and it might be different in other countries.

Hiya,

Yeah, I am in Ireland, and I've also seen the social media push and I'm glad to hear you had a good experience sharing your HIV status  :)

Fair comment and I suppose it's a matter of perspective, n the past, I could just explain TaSP & Swiss statements and it was fine.  Although I admit, I'm not dating or meeting people sexually and it could be that it's made some difference in that setting, maybe more awareness there?

U=U however, for me in Ireland has just led to people asking about my viral load when sharing teacups or other no HIV risk situations regardless of my viral load including a few medical professionals, so seems they are hearing the message but the ignorant will remain ignorant.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 02:51:07 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.