Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:33:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 670
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 644
Total: 644

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Pissed off or not.....  (Read 8174 times)

Offline ds4146

Pissed off or not.....
« on: June 07, 2010, 08:42:34 pm »
have not really decided. Initial thought, what a whore...and then of course all he has done for the AIDS cause. However at some point and particularly at some age you need to decide what is important. Did I read this here or somewhere else, doesn't matter: "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

Singer Elton John received a $1 million fee to perform in front of 400 guests celebrating radio talk-show host Rush Limbaugh's fourth wedding Saturday night, People Magazine reports.

Limbaugh, 59, wed Kathryn Rogers, 33, at the Breakers hotel in Palm Beach, Florida.

Limbaugh is an outspoken opponent of gay marriage while John is openly gay and in a civil partnership with male partner David Furnish.
Celebrity guests at the wedding reportedly included former Bush adviser Karl Rove, baseball slugger George Brett, former New York City mayor Rudolph Giuliani, and golfer Tom Watson.

According to People, the couple met six years ago, while Rogers was running a charity golf tournament and Limbaugh was in the process of divorcing for the third time.

The Palm Beach Post reported that as many as 50 private security guards were hired for the wedding.

Web site Gawker.com hired a plane to fly over the wedding site towing a banner that read "Rush: Congrats on your 4th marriage. XO, Gawker." The saying on the banner was chosen from suggestions made by readers. Rejected suggestions included "This time he really means it," "Wishing you months of bliss," and "Congrats on #4 from those of us who can't have 1."

The magazine reports that the newlyweds took Limbaugh's private Gulfstream jet to a honeymoon in Mexico and Africa, among other locations.

© 2010 MSNBC Interactive.  Reprints

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Pissed off or not.....
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 08:45:05 pm »
have not really decided. Initial thought, what a whore...and then of course all he has done for the AIDS cause. However at some point and particularly at some age you need to decide what is important. Did I read this here or somewhere else, doesn't matter: "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

Singer Elton John received a $1 million fee to perform in front of 400 guests celebrating radio talk-show host Rush Limbaugh's fourth wedding Saturday night, People Magazine reports.

Limbaugh, 59, wed Kathryn Rogers, 33, at the Breakers hotel in Palm Beach, Florida.

Limbaugh is an outspoken opponent of gay marriage while John is openly gay and in a civil partnership with male partner David Furnish.
Celebrity guests at the wedding reportedly included former Bush adviser Karl Rove, baseball slugger George Brett, former New York City mayor Rudolph Giuliani, and golfer Tom Watson.

According to People, the couple met six years ago, while Rogers was running a charity golf tournament and Limbaugh was in the process of divorcing for the third time.

The Palm Beach Post reported that as many as 50 private security guards were hired for the wedding.

Web site Gawker.com hired a plane to fly over the wedding site towing a banner that read "Rush: Congrats on your 4th marriage. XO, Gawker." The saying on the banner was chosen from suggestions made by readers. Rejected suggestions included "This time he really means it," "Wishing you months of bliss," and "Congrats on #4 from those of us who can't have 1."

The magazine reports that the newlyweds took Limbaugh's private Gulfstream jet to a honeymoon in Mexico and Africa, among other locations.

© 2010 MSNBC Interactive.  Reprints

Here's hoping he donates that million to some dreadful left wing cause.

MtD
(Who has always thought Elton to be grossly overrated)

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 08:49:38 pm »
Maybe, and hopefully, he'll donate a good chunk of that million to AIDS/HIV research or some political cause that supports gay rights. It will be a nice middle finger to that disgusting pig known as Limbaugh.

[Ah, Matty beat me to it... Almost the same idea :)]
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline fearless

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 09:17:16 pm »
Wishfull thinking Matty and Rev. He'll simply pocket the million and continue on.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 11:38:22 pm »
I heard on Keith Olberman that there is definitely a question about not only the amount, but also the destination of the money.  His office has supposedly stated that the full amount was $2,000,000.00, and those amounts are only collected to be placed into the Elton John AIDS Foundation.  There was no final statement on which two stories are correct, but I am sure we will all find out soon enough.  I really don't care what his motivation was, I'm sure he pissed in the punch.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 01:13:25 am »
Maybe this is similar to what he did with Eminem when he performed with him at some music awards.  He was known for making homophobic remarks and also in his songs.  Maybe Elton thinks he can change people's attitudes--the catch more flies with honey than vinegar theory.  Or, maybe he took pleasure in taking some of Rush's money.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 04:48:03 am »
So he publically hates gays but privately thinks they are entertaining and should sing at his wedding?

We don't know why Elton John did this but would be interesting to know, wouldnt it.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 04:57:31 am »
So he publically hates gays but privately thinks they are entertaining and should sing at his wedding?

We don't know why Elton John did this but would be interesting to know, wouldnt it.

It's quite possible to hate a group but acknowledge and even avail oneself of the purpose they serve.

I'm pretty sure that Rush has Mexicans clean his pool and trim his lawns just as I'm confident that the only the finest New York Jew lawyers keep his legal affairs in order.

And who do you think might do his banking? ;)

So yeah, it's fitting and not at all surprising to learn a fag played at his wedding.

MtD

Offline mecch

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 06:27:15 am »
(With the little difference he's probably not a Jew baiter in public, is he?)

But yeah, yours is the point I wanted to make but didnt succeed.  Maybe Elton is just laughing all the way to the bank. 
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 06:36:13 am »
(With the little difference he's probably not a Jew baiter in public, is he?)

But yeah, yours is the point I wanted to make but didnt succeed.  Maybe Elton is just laughing all the way to the bank. 

Well not in public. I mean look how everything ended for Helen Thomas.

MtD

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 07:34:36 am »
Dangle a couple of million in front of you mo's and you would sing for the President of Malawi.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 08:11:57 am »
Dangle a couple of million in front of you mo's and you would sing for the President of Malawi.

Absolutely. Just let me clear my throat.

MtD

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 08:12:46 am »
A few years ago I remember an interview Elton John did where he talked about how from now on most of what he made would go to fund his charity's from now on . I wish I could remember the exact interview but I cant remember what lunch was yesterday .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 08:26:07 am »
A few years ago I remember an interview Elton John did where he talked about how from now on most of what he made would go to fund his charity's from now on . I wish I could remember the exact interview but I cant remember what lunch was yesterday .

Was that before or after he filed bankruptcy?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 08:32:56 am »
Was that before or after he filed bankruptcy?

I don't know Dachs ... I was just doing some reading about what I stated and cant find anything to back up the statement also . When I read about this performance for Rush that interview came to mind but I am probably wrong on the details .

I did find where he said from now on royalty's from all of his new singles would go to charity .
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 08:53:46 am by jg1962 »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 09:12:02 am »
Elton John: A singer known as much for his lavish stage show as the songs he sings, Elton John filed bankruptcy in 2002. John allegedly spent up to $400,000 on flower arrangement alone and was accruing debt at the rate of $2 million a month. While he blamed his accountants for his financial distress, he ultimately filed bankruptcy to discharge his debts.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 10:56:17 am »

LMAO....You got that right. For 2 mill I could be very entertaining..That's my Aunty, keeping it real.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline mecch

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 11:03:47 am »
Then he toured Europe non-stop at astronomical ticket prices, and also earned millions for all his soundtrack and stage writing.  Good for him!  Think of all the fags in the design industries he has supported over the years with his lavish spending.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 11:37:58 am »

Forget singing and forget two mill. For just a hundred grand I'd probably do pretty much anything (except illegal stuff --ain't spending time in jail for anybody) for some people whom I personally despise.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 11:39:32 am by Rev. Moon »
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2010, 05:48:28 pm »
Forget singing and forget two mill. For just a hundred grand I'd probably do pretty much anything (except illegal stuff --ain't spending time in jail for anybody) for some people whom I personally despise.

For two million I'd give Rush a blumpkin.

MtD

Offline jethro

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2010, 07:36:15 pm »
Perhaps it will be Larry King interviewing Elton John.   "Elton, WTF??"

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2010, 08:41:20 pm »
As much as Elton John has done to support PWA and the gay community I really don't care who he sings for . As much money as he has raised for people in need I'm willing to trust he knows what he is doing and where the heart is .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2010, 10:24:21 pm »
I'm sure he'll be asked why he did it.  I know it has been reported the fee is going to his AIDS charity.  $2 Million for AIDS research/charity?  I would probably spend an evening with the Devil for that.  It would be one thing if he performed for free.  Then I would be like, WTF?  He probably enjoyed taking that money from Rush and giving it to the people Rush has talked about so badly.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2010, 08:58:33 am »
I've got a lot of respect for Elton John. Not Elton the pop star, but Elton the man who has done more than anyone else in the entertainment business for the cause of hiv. Gotta give the man credit. Way to go, Reggie!
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline ds4146

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2010, 09:57:49 pm »
I don't know about that, perhaps, but I think actually that there are other people who have been just as helpful and we did not have to wait for them to exit the closet: Elizabeth Taylor (okay she was getting dressed or divorced) and Judith Light.  I am still waiting to hear where the money is going before the final call, but clearly I am not alone in wondering.

Just a few comments around this issue....

Queerty.com, a popular gay blog, lashed out at the 'Rocket Man' for accepting "bloody money" from Limbaugh.

"It will be Rush who writes out the check to Elton for the seven-figure sum; money that, let's all face, Elton doesn't really need," the site writes. "And even if his intention was to donate the cash to a LGBT youth group, it's already bloody money, and tainted."

Village Voice columnist Michael Musto flat-out called John a "whore" during an appearance Monday night on 'Countdown With Keith Olbermann.'

This isn't the first time John has cozied up to someone perceived to be a touch homophobic. His duet with Eminem at the 2001 Grammy Awards turned heads and led to a long friendship between the pair.

Whether John's fans will exit in droves because
of the wedding gig remains to be seen. But for one Advocate reader, the damage was done.

Offline mecch

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2010, 04:27:37 am »
What a rush to judgment on the part of gay men of a perfectly loveable artist, Elton John.

Also, people can be friends even if they have opposite political or cultural agendas.  Thank God for that.  Who cares if Elton John is friends with Eminem?  I enjoy Eminem's music a lot and also think his supposed anti-gay rants are interesting to think about because they are in the context of his artistic expression and role-playing.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2010, 07:01:35 am »
What a rush to judgment on the part of gay men of a perfectly loveable artist, Elton John.

Also, people can be friends even if they have opposite political or cultural agendas.  Thank God for that.  Who cares if Elton John is friends with Eminem?  I enjoy Eminem's music a lot and also think his supposed anti-gay rants are interesting to think about because they are in the context of his artistic expression and role-playing.

Give me a break. You have no more idea of Elton John's personality characteristics than anyone else around here. Plenty of dick's give to charity. People are more likely to "rush to judgement" over this absurd statement.

"Think of all the fags in the design industries he has supported over the years with his lavish spending."

Offline mecch

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2010, 08:15:52 am »
Give me a break. You have no more idea of Elton John's personality characteristics than anyone else around here. Plenty of dick's give to charity. People are more likely to "rush to judgement" over this absurd statement.

"Think of all the fags in the design industries he has supported over the years with his lavish spending."

1)  Eh hem, I've met Elton several times and worked with him and his staff on fund-raising benefits.

2) So you are saying he's a dick because although he gives to charity, he also earns money from dicks?  Huh?

3) Yeah, its true.  Conspicuous consumers with A LOT of money to spend support entire industries in which a lot of gay people work.  Are you insane not to recognise this?  Spend a few years in Paris, New York London or LA among the "servant classes" of the super rich.  

Open your eyes to the world, and keep your nasty negativity to yourself.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 08:24:14 am by mecch »

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2010, 08:37:49 am »

Eh hem, I've met Elton several times...

Eh hem, what a crock of shit.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 09:09:33 am by Dachshund »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2010, 09:29:58 am »

Village Voice columnist Michael Musto flat-out called John a "whore" during an appearance Monday night on 'Countdown With Keith Olbermann.'[/color]

Didn't we all already know that?

I have to admit that I'd rather he very publicly turned down this gig. But, if the money IS going to aids charity, then at least it will be money well spent even if it is perceived as blood money. It's money Rush never would have given for the cause.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2010, 11:40:21 am »
How exactly, is Rush Limbaugh's money any more tainted, than the Ryan White or ADAP funding from Washington? Both sources, would rarely, if ever, give to AIDS causes of their own volition. Rush certainly and far too many members of Congress view pozzies as expendable human beings, as the current ADAP crisis illustrates; where we can't find a stinking $126 million to close the gap.

Personally, I have nothing but the utmost respect for Sir Elton John, both as an artist and as a human being. He remains one of the greatest gifts to us pozzies, for his tireless efforts to better our lot in life. Yes, sometimes desperate times, require desperate measures and keeping pozzies alive has always been a desperate situation. I find it unsettling that so many of you, can stand in judgment of Elton, when you haven't done even 10% of what he has done... for all pozzies. Remember what they say about people who live in glass houses.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 11:51:21 am by killfoile »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2010, 11:51:42 am »

How exactly, is Rush Limbaugh's money any more tainted, than the Ryan White or ADAP funding from Washington? Both sources, would rarely, if ever, give to AIDS causes of their own volition.

Excellent point. So yeah, take the money and run.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2010, 12:02:33 pm »
1)  Eh hem, I've met Elton several times and worked with him and his staff on fund-raising benefits.

I worked with Sir Elton as well, I delivered the bread to the Blue Door Hotel and the chef made Elton a Panini Sandwhich.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Merlin

• As My WILL, So MOTE It Be !
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2010, 01:43:30 pm »
The winner should be Elton John for his Aids Trust fund. The joke should be on Limbaugh. Imagine someone supposedly HATES you for what you represent but turns around and pays you $2mil to perform at his wedding. No issues with taking this hateful sucker's money for my own cause. How else are we gonna get this Limbaugh loser to part with $2mil to help the GLBT community?
Perhaps, Limbaugh has a secret wide stance and this is his own secret way to tell GLBT that it's alright to, Say you, Say me, Screw you, Screw me.  :D

Way to go Elton.  :-*
I'll leave Hatred to those not strong enough to Love.

+++

Believe & The Power Of The Mind Transforms.
Make It Happen...

+++

I blame them for nothing.
I forgive them for everything.

---->> Mary J. Blige on dysfuctional parents

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2010, 02:07:44 pm »
I worked with Sir Elton as well, I delivered the bread to the Blue Door Hotel and the chef made Elton a Panini Sandwhich.

I went to work with Madonna after Elton fired me. He didn't appreciate it when he found me trying one of Renate's dresses on. 

Offline mecch

« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 02:56:18 pm by mecch »

Offline BlueMoon

• Calling from the Fun House
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2010, 06:22:45 pm »
What's the big deal, Elton John is playing at a gay wedding. 

Well the groom almost certainly is.  Don't know about the bride.
It's a complex world

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2010, 07:46:21 pm »
How exactly, is Rush Limbaugh's money any more tainted, than the Ryan White or ADAP funding from Washington? Both sources, would rarely, if ever, give to AIDS causes of their own volition. Rush certainly and far too many members of Congress view pozzies as expendable human beings, as the current ADAP crisis illustrates; where we can't find a stinking $126 million to close the gap.

Personally, I have nothing but the utmost respect for Sir Elton John, both as an artist and as a human being. He remains one of the greatest gifts to us pozzies, for his tireless efforts to better our lot in life. Yes, sometimes desperate times, require desperate measures and keeping pozzies alive has always been a desperate situation. I find it unsettling that so many of you, can stand in judgment of Elton, when you haven't done even 10% of what he has done... for all pozzies. Remember what they say about people who live in glass houses.

Where the hell have you been?  Mister much needed voice of reason.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2010, 08:24:02 am »
I went to work with Madonna after Elton fired me. He didn't appreciate it when he found me trying one of Renate's dresses on. 

Elton fired you? Too cool.

Is Madonna as much of a bitch as she seems to be? Enquiring minds need to know. 

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline john33

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2010, 10:39:00 am »
according to people at work who've worked in hotels where she has stayed, apparently somewhere between bitch and a pain in the ass

(edited for spelling)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.