Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:04:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772961
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 139
Total: 139

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Garlic  (Read 23088 times)

Offline Roie

Garlic
« on: March 11, 2008, 02:45:20 am »
I am taking Kaletra and truvada.
one of the warning for Kaletra states "HIV-positive people should also be cautious about using garlic supplement"

I am wondering about this. Does it mean not to use garlic as a seasoning in any of my meals? (almost everymain dish I make requires at least 1 clove)

Or is is taking garlic tablets that are available over the counter at a health food shop?
(Not that I do or have but just wondering)
Cruise on down the High Way

"When people who are not ready jump in, things can go horribly wrong. For most of us, there is always time to take a deep breath, consider one's options and make a careful, sound decision based on clinical fact, not emotion."
MtD

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Garlic
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 03:02:59 am »
You can use garlic as a seasoning in your food. The warning refers to supplemental garlic products such as garlic tablets/capsules and the like.

Be well,

MtD

Offline Roie

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 05:28:30 am »
You can use garlic as a seasoning in your food. The warning refers to supplemental garlic products such as garlic tablets/capsules and the like.

Be well,

MtD

Thank God!!!
Life without garlic would be unbearable, might have had to go play in the traffic...

"When people who are not ready jump in, things can go horribly wrong. For most of us, there is always time to take a deep breath, consider one's options and make a careful, sound decision based on clinical fact, not emotion."
MtD

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 05:43:06 am »
From the AIDSmeds Lesson on Kaletra:

Herbal products can also interact with Kaletra. St. John's wort should not be used with Kaletra, since it can greatly reduce the amount of the Kaletra in the bloodstream. HIV-positive people should also be cautious about using garlic supplements or milk thistle with Kaletra—test tube studies suggest that both herbal products can interact with the same liver enzyme system (cytochrome P450 3A4) responsible for metabolizing Kaletra. This may alter the amount of Kaletra in the bloodstream. These and other herbal products should be used with caution, until further studies are conducted.

So it's more something to be aware of, not a Huge Big Fuss. ;)

Garlic on and be well,

MtD

Offline catwoman

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 11:42:01 pm »
Enjoy the garlic!  I'm on the same combo.  I looove garlic.  I just made a juice today of carrot/celery/garlic and it was good.  Garlic is so powerful all you need is one clove in the juice.

Offline Okealyshire

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 01:16:33 am »
Some time many years ago I read an article that claimed garlic was sinful: because it can induce a mild high, which thus diverts your mind from God, it is therefore as prohibited as other hallucogenic drugs. Consumption of garlic, as does consumption of marijuana and opium products, will put you in danger of hell's fire. The author failed, of course, to mention that all these substances are part of creation.

Well. Now having linked this thread about garlic with another about spirituality and HIV (http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=20482), let's see what happens ;D

Offline bear60

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 02:54:40 pm »
With all due respect......to try to get a discussion on  nutrition to inject religion and/or spirituality is really not a good idea. Nutrition IS the religion in this particular forum, after all.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 04:19:32 pm by bear60 »
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline carcrash82

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 04:33:48 pm »
i'm on the same combo, Kaletra and Truvada. I was told no garlic supplements but garlic in meal is fine.

But they told me to definately steer clear of grapefruit juice and Ecinacia, along with St John's Wort

after about one year of meds i gradually developed, and now am completely allergic to alcohol. I've tried beer, wine - it all comes up after about 3 mins. I also went off cigarettes completely, i was 20 a day.

weird pills. they do the job, but weird.
diagnosed Jan '06
cd4 50 VL 1miliion  2%

May '08 cd4 310 VL undetectable

truvada and kaletra. they work but i'm very tired. Laughin's good though!

Offline Roie

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 06:00:28 am »
i'm on the same combo, Kaletra and Truvada. I was told no garlic supplements but garlic in meal is fine.

But they told me to definately steer clear of grapefruit juice and Ecinacia, along with St John's Wort

after about one year of meds i gradually developed, and now am completely allergic to alcohol. I've tried beer, wine - it all comes up after about 3 mins. I also went off cigarettes completely, i was 20 a day.

weird pills. they do the job, but weird.

That "Off Ciggarettes"  is a good thing. You see, you get extra bonuses from our meds. I am on these meds 4 months and i have no problems yet with wine. Interesting ...

MtD

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 08:14:48 am »

Ummm... that doesn't seem like a food allergy, at all, but a gastric issue that could worsen.  I've heard other people on Kaletra and Truvada complain of ssimilar side effects not limited to alcohol which caused dramatic weight loss.  Have you had a consult with a gastroenterologist?
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline Adamus

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 07:16:10 am »
Hi Everybody I first time writing on this forum, I wrote today in section news that garlic supplements as capsule are not recommended at all for somebody who is taking Invirase. But what about natural Garlic and cooked garlic, Is it the same not to be recommended? Anybody knows about it? Sorry for my English but I am Polish. Thanks in advance for answer.

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 10:23:14 am »
garlic for cooking is fine.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 11:30:04 am »
garlic for cooking is fine.

shouldn't you write: "garlic for cooking is required" ?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 11:49:06 am »
yes this is true, very true.
But I might add,  cooking with fresh garlic is required. None of this jarred minced crap or god forbid.....garlic powder

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 12:26:56 pm »

But I might add,  cooking with fresh garlic is required. None of this jarred minced crap or god forbid.....garlic powder

Oh goodness -- that goes without saying.  I'll even add that finely diced with a chinese cleaver always tops even the use of a garlic press, but I do use both.

And please do not forget the proper storage of head of garlic in a terracotta garlic pot -- definitely slows any sprouting.  Actually I have this one and it double as a quick roaster.

Now I'm craving 44-clove garlic soup!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 12:29:43 pm by philly267 »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 01:53:41 pm »
Oh goodness -- that goes without saying.  I'll even add that finely diced with a chinese cleaver always tops even the use of a garlic press, but I do use both.

And please do not forget the proper storage of head of garlic in a terracotta garlic pot -- definitely slows any sprouting.  Actually I have this one and it double as a quick roaster.

I never use a press,  it bruises the garlic.   

44-clove garlic soup?  you must have been reading my mind, I was thinking about making some myself. 

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 08:05:10 pm »

And this was just posted in the "News Section: today : (or yesterday)

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/1667_14733.shtml

Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Roie

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2008, 12:45:36 am »

And please do not forget the proper storage of head of garlic in a terracotta garlic pot -- definitely slows any sprouting. 

I had absolutely no idea.

MtD

Offline somdamon

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2008, 05:27:11 pm »

Wow...44 clove garlic soup! Thanks for the link - sounds decadent - I am all about garlic!

Damon
All you have been waiting for is your own permission.
--  Emmanuel (Pat Rodegast)

Offline 40hrs

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2008, 11:18:37 pm »
am having problems with high cholesterol and Triglycerides, anyone else on HIV meds with the same problem and if so what was done to bring em down??? i take a combo of sustiva, ziagen and viread

Offline Lorenzopier

• 36 Years Poz via HAART & Micronutrient Technology.
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2008, 02:47:26 am »
Hello 40hrs
Niacin works very well for me.

http://stroke.about.com/od/medications/p/niacin.htm

Offline Roie

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2008, 05:26:36 am »
am having problems with high cholesterol and Triglycerides, anyone else on HIV meds with the same problem and if so what was done to bring em down??? i take a combo of sustiva, ziagen and viread

Me too,
I am on Kaleta and Truvada.
So far been eating oats (quacker) for breakfast every day, but realistically I realize that I will have to start on some medication.
My doc will prescribe something at next visit, In the meantime I am also supposesed to exercise.

MtD

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2008, 07:38:43 am »

Hello, I  am also having a little difficulty, with cholesterol. You may find this link from the lessons helpful. By the way welcome :

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/Hyperlipidemia_7522.shtml

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Rural_oz

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2008, 04:48:00 pm »
I hope you don't mind me bringing this issue up again but I was wondering if anyone else can give me some input.  On the garlic issue, I don't take suppliments, only use garlic in cooking.  (I LOVE GARLIC!)
However I have begun to notice that since I started meds a few weeks ago, if I have a meal with a heavy garlic content (ie last night 5 cloves in a marinade) I wake up the next day feeling very groggy....
(Groggy being an aussie term which means a kinda hungover feeling, heavy head, tired, blah feeling)
Most mornings I am OK and I am noticing the pattern of this grogginess linked to the garlic ?!?!?!
Anyone have any thoughts....
p.s. the grogginess is NOT linked to drinking too much wine in this case  ;)

Offline gregoryagogo

• Gregory's Time Capsule & Stuff
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2009, 10:44:55 am »
I never use a press,  it bruises the garlic.   

I s'pose a sharp knife cuts the garlic?!
-Gregory

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.