Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:22:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 383
Total: 384

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: What is the most risky time to start transmitting?  (Read 12473 times)

Offline kredi

What is the most risky time to start transmitting?
« on: September 07, 2006, 05:53:35 am »
First of all thank you very much for this lovely forum.

My story is like this ;

I am a married man at age of 29. I travel a lot for business purposes. On August 16th, I visited Azerbaycan and at that day I drunk a lot in a bar and did a very stupid thing. I had sex with a prostetude . It was vaginal intercourse. I inserted my penis for 10 minutes. But as I was drunk , I could not ejeculate. (Without protection). I washed my penis area with soup carefully in the morning of the night I had sex.(seven hours after sex)

Just after one day, I went back to my country and had unprotected sex with my wife but did not ejeculate. After this I had protected sex with my wife thinking that I got HIV virus.

On 2nd of September, I realised that my lympth on the left of my neck started to swell. Today (07.09.2006) it became smaller. I checked other parts of my body if there are other lympths that are swelling. I could not found one.

The case is that I am on business trip to some middle east country at the moment. My wife called me 2 days ago that , she has throat aching and feel tired and thinks that she got cold really bad.

My question is that,

Is there a possibility to transmit HIV, just one day after you receive the virus?(I did not ejeculate) Is there possiblity to transmit in this very short time interval with precum?

Sorry for my poor English. But I am worried about my wife. If I transmitted or not. I know that even for me it is very hard to guess if I got HIV but think as if I got HIV virus , is it possible for me to transmit the virus to my wife after one day I receive the virus without ejeculation?

Thanks in advance and BR

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: What is the most risky time to start transmitting?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 07:23:16 am »
kredi,

It is unlikely that you would transmit the virus so quickly if you were in fact infected during your unprotected encounter with a sex worker.

You have had a risk and you do need to test. Please keep in mind that hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus and more so from a woman to a man, so the odds are heavily in your favour of testing negative.

As the vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, you can test at six weeks for a very good indication of your status. However, a negative result at this time MUST be confirmed at the 12-13 week point.

Symptoms or the lack of symptoms means nothing when it comes to hiv infection. Only hiv antibody testing will reveal your hiv status. Keep your hands off your glands because constantly touching them to see if they're swollen will MAKE them swell and keep them swollen. Nothing you report from either you or your wife points to hiv.

For further testing and transmission information, please read through the Welcome Thread and follow the Lessons links found there.

You do need to test, but you have a very good chance of coming out of this hiv negative.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline kredi

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 07:45:55 am »
Thank you so much for your respond.

Actually I do not wonder so much for my case. Of course I wonder but I wonder more for my wife.
Can you kindly give a comment conserning the below question ;

My question is that,

Is there a possibility to transmit HIV, just one day after you receive the virus?(I did not ejeculate) Is there possiblity to transmit in this very short time interval with precum?

Thanks in advance and BR

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 08:56:19 am »
I refer you back to Ann's answer since you're essentially asking the same question again.

Yes, there was a risk. But HIV is not an easy virus to transmit. It's significantly harder to accomplish from female to male. So the odds are in your favor against it occuring in this single incident. But low risk is not the same as no risk so you do need to get tested. You should do that at 13 weeks after the most recent unprotected incident.

Neither your symptoms nor your wife's can be taken as indications of your HIV status. There is nothing about those symptoms which is in anyway HIV-specific. Only a test result can give you the answer you need.

In the meantime until you hopefully test negative you should be using a condom when you have intercourse with your wife. If your symptoms persist you should discuss them with a doctor.

Good luck with your test.

Cheers, 
Andy Velez

Offline kredi

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 09:12:16 am »
Sorry to bother you with the same question.
Thank you so much for your help.

It seems there is nothing to do except to be tested.

When I return back to my country I am planning to get tested. Actually only 25 days will be passed over possible exposure.
I will for sure will be tested after 13 weeks also but I think 25 days can be also a choice just to recover from this worry a small bit.

What about the viral load. As far as I undertood viral load is the number of HIV cells loacated in an amount of blood.
And as far as I understood if the viral load is higher , the possibility to transfer the disease to others is higher per sexual contact.
Is the viral load gets its highest value in the body just after one or two days after the exposure?

Thanks in advance and BR

Does sexual friction in vaginal sex irritates the penis in a way that we can receive hiv from these irritated places on the skin?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 09:57:26 am »
The "average" time to seroconversion is 22 days. Any negative result is always encouraging.

All but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after an exposure to the HIV virus.

Andy Velez

Offline Sae

• Joined June 2005
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 10:23:13 am »
I just want to add something to this thread...

KR, you had unprotected sex....and while HIV is certainly something to consider and test for, other sexually transmitted infections are far, far, far more easily transmitted than HIV.

You need a full STD panel for thing Chlamydia, Gono, NGU, HPV before you have unprotected sex with your wife.  Syphilis shares a testing timeline with HIV, so you must wait for that test.

HIV is not easily transmitted from female to male, but other curable infections are. 

Get a full STD panel, and in the future please use condoms each and every time you are not in a securely monogamous situation  Don't have unprotected sex unless the other person has tested negative on everything with all appropriate timeframes.

Sae.
Meh.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 10:30:58 am »
A hearty seconding on SAE's good suggestion. The other STDs out there are much easier to get and anyone who's sexually active should be getting a full panel done regularly. At least annually and every six months is even better.
Andy Velez

Offline kredi

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 11:41:03 am »
I would like to thank you so much for all your sugeestions.
I will definetly do so.

Do you know the time that has to be passed for the overall STD tests after exposure?

Thanks in advance and best regards

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006, 12:35:51 pm »
kredi,

For most STIs you can test 10-14 days afterwards, with the exception of syphilis, which shares a three month window period with hiv. Also, syphilis is like hiv in that if you have actually been infected with syphilis, it will show up in tests before the three months is over. However, just like with hiv, you need to test for syphilis at three months for a conclusive result.

If you have symptoms of an STI before ten days, such as an open sore or unusual discharge, then go to the doc as soon as something like this shows up. Otherwise, wait ten days to two weeks. Don't assume that no symptoms means no infection, as some STIs can be present without causing any obvious symptoms.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline kredi

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 06:31:16 pm »
I can not tell you how lovely you are.......
I will definately get tested for all......

I will surely share the results with the forum users....

Thanks many times and best regards

Offline kredi

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2006, 04:46:53 pm »
I went to the doctor today. I just wanted to show my lymph to the doctor. I did not mention about my risky situtation about hiv infection as my wife with me at the moment. Doctor made some examinations on me. If I have other lyph nodes swelling.
Afterwards she wanted me to have some blood tests like ARC (C-reactive protein level) and other blood tests. Everything was normal. Tomorrow I will go for Hiv test without my wife. If I was HIV+, is there a possibility to turn out my blood values unnormal?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2006, 04:56:52 pm »
HIV does not show up in CBC or WBCs.

Offline kredi

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2006, 04:59:38 pm »
Thank you very much for the answer but what about ARC?

Offline kredi

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2006, 05:19:33 pm »
So much sorry for the multiply replies but I wrote it wrong.
Not ARC , I meant CRP ( (C-reactive protein level).

So much sorry....

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2006, 05:26:48 pm »
The CRP test is sometimes used in patients with inflammatory bowel disease and some forms of arthritis and autoimmune diseases to assess how active the inflammation is and to monitor the treatment. The CRP test is also used to monitor patients after surgery or other invasive procedures to detect the presence of an infection during the recovery period. CRP tests are not specific enough to diagnose a particular disease. Rather, CRP is a general marker of infection and inflammation that alerts medical professionals that further testing and treatment may be necessary.

Offline kredi

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2006, 05:42:01 pm »
Many thanks ....I am an engineer that's why the test results that I have with me is like trying to read Japanese.

As I mentioned I will for sure go for HIV test tomorrow.
I surely understood "good blood test results do not indicate that I do not have HIV"
But I thought, bad result can be an indication of HIV if someone had risky sexual act but at the same time HIV test is needed.

If you have any add-ons to the above description , I will be pleased.

Sorry for my English and thanks in advance.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2006, 06:08:14 pm »
Kredi,

The only sort of test that can reveal whether or not you have HIV infection is an HIV antibody test performed after the window period has passed.

No CRP mate.

MtD

Offline kredi

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2006, 06:35:07 pm »
What about the Monocytes? My.Mono level is too low. I read that HIV directly attacks cells like monocytes.
My monocytes level is 0.063 . it must be between 0.1 to 1.10. I think it is extremely low. The other blood related results are ok.
I am going nuts. Please help me....

For tomorrows test , I want to make myself ready even for any positive result.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2006, 07:12:19 pm »
Ok, I'm starting to get annoyed with you.

What did I just say? I believe it went something like:

The only sort of test that can reveal whether or not you have HIV infection is an HIV antibody test performed after the window period has passed.

No tests for monocytes or anything else can tell you your HIV status. Only an HIV antibody test can. We take the time to read and answer your questions in a thoughtful and honest way. You could at least do us the courtesy of reading those answers.

Ya dig?

MtD

Offline kredi

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2006, 07:30:21 pm »
So much sorry....When you are in suspect of this ilness,even you get the answer you are not satisfied.
Because your phsycology becomes unnormal.

Anyway, as a conslusion ;

1- I will get the test and receive the results tomorrow.
2- I will share the result with the forum users.
3- I promised myself not to ask any further questions until I get the results.

So much to trouble you. Thanks in advance and best regards

Offline kredi

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2006, 10:50:25 am »
Today I got my test results :

Anti HIV I-II       0,36    <1.0 Negative    S/CO

I think that means, negative result.
I got this test after 26 days after possible exposure....

I will be pleased if you can comment on this.....

Best Regards and thanks in advance

Offline kredi

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2006, 04:54:15 pm »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today I got my test results :

Anti HIV I-II       0,36    <1.0 Negative    S/CO

I think that means, negative result.
I got this test after 26 days after possible exposure....

I will be pleased if you can comment on this.....

Best Regards and thanks in advance

Offline kredi

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2006, 06:34:30 am »
Sorry for multiple mails..
But is there something wrong with my test result?
Nobody gives answer to my question....

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2006, 06:39:28 am »
kredi,

As the average time to seroconversion is only 22 days, your negative result is an encouraging one. However, you still need to test at the three month point.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline kredi

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2006, 06:44:29 am »
Thank you very much Ann....

but what does the 0,36 value means? Musn't it be zero?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2006, 06:53:21 am »
No K, it doesn't have to be zero to mean negative. It just has to be below a certain value, which yours is. It's really a number for the laboratory boffins, not mere mortals such as yourself.

As Ann says, make sure you get that definitive test at 13 weeks.

MtD

Offline kredi

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2006, 08:07:09 am »
Hello to All again.

Yesterday (40 days after possible exposure), I had Elisa test once more. The result was negative again. I still have lymph swelling.
It is not visible from outside but when I touch it ,I can feel it.It is on the left side of my neck.

Anyway it seems the tests are going well. I hope I do not have a positive result at the 13th week test.

BR

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2006, 08:35:38 am »
Given that all but the smallest number will seroconvert within 4-6 weeks after a risky incident, a negative at 40 days is excellent. I expect you to continue to test negative.

You need to stop feeling, touching, squeezing and whatever else you are doing with your lymph nodes. Doing any of that can actually create a problem where there is none. Really.

Andy Velez

Offline kredi

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2006, 08:42:02 am »
Andy , thank you very much for your reply.
By the way , I took these tests in two good hospitals. they both gave the results in 4 hours.
Isnt it a very quick time? Does antibody test can take only 4 hour?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2006, 08:46:30 am »
Kredi,

There are several different forms of hiv antibody tests available and one kind will give you your result in only twenty minutes. If you'd read the Welcome Thread and followed the Lessons links like I asked you to in my very first post to you, you would know all about the various tests. Get reading.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2006, 09:02:23 am »
OK, so now you're doubting the validity of your results since you got them very quickly? As contrasted with anxiously worrying that something is wrong if they took a longer time? Man, you are nuts with this stuff, no kidding.

There is in fact an FDA-approved and perfectly reliable test which can give you a result in 20 minutes.

My suggestion is that you look at the half full glass and be happy with your negative test result.

Andy Velez

Offline kredi

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2006, 10:27:55 am »
Dear Ann and Andy,

You are completely right, I am going nuts :-)
sorry for accupying your precious time. Internet stuff made me thought in this way. When you surf through webpages, you start to get mad.

I actually suggest everyone not to go through so many webpages and try to understand what ilnesses they got. It is the best to go to a doctor and if anyone has suspect just to go for testing.

Many thanks again and again.
BR

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2006, 10:31:45 am »
Lay off of surfing the web for more (dis)information. It's bad for your health, no kidding.

Stay productively busy during the rest of your waiting time and you will be amazed at how quickly and easily the time can pass. Really.

I expect you to come out of this ok.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline kredi

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2006, 05:14:06 am »
After 50 days of possible exposure, I gave blood in order to be tested again. I also wanted to be tested for hepatits. (Anti HBc, Anti HBs, Anti HCV, HBs Ag, Anti Hiv I-II) I will get all the test results 1 hour later and update you with the latest information.

I have some questions concerning the tests :

1- If I have hepatits in my body, does it effect the window period for HIV?
2- I read that new generation Elisa test can be able to detect the antibodies in 3 or 4 weeks, because they are capable of realising even a little small amount of antibody if it exists? Where can I understand if I have been tested with new generation or old generation tests? Can I understand that from the test report?
3- Lately I received my test results with a value of  "S/CO". Mine was 0,36. If this value gets higher in new test result, does it mean that my body started to make antibodies? For example if I get a result S/CO = 0.55, does it mean my body made more antibodies then the last test time?

Offline kredi

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2006, 09:03:14 am »
Hello again ,

I received the results. I have no hepatites . My HIV test result is 0.32 S/CO negative after 50 days.
My Anti HBs is positive. The reason for it is that I had  vaccine for Hepatitis B before.

Anyway it is going well for me at the moment. If you can also answer the questions that I have asked in my previous reply, it will be apreciated.

Thanks in advance and Best Regards

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2006, 09:38:27 am »
kredi,

1, NO.

2, Yes, the newest generation tests are more sensitive in the first few weeks. It doesn't make much difference though at 50 days. Your negative result is unlikely to change.

3, NO.

Again, your 50 day negative result (that's over seven weeks) is unlikely to change. I fully expect you to collect another negative result when you get your conclusive test at three months.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline kredi

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2006, 02:21:44 am »
Dear Ann,

Thank you so much for the reply. Until last week I also felt that my tests were going very well.
But the case is that my wife got really sick. She showed all the symptoms for the primary infection. It took 5 days to recover from her ilness. Believe me she showed all the symptoms of Primary infection. She even gave 1,5 kilograms in the first 3 days of her ilness.

Anyway, I hope everything will be ok.

Thanks again and again.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.