Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 10, 2024, 02:16:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773100
  • Total Topics: 66327
  • Online Today: 351
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 313
Total: 313

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Condom Use...but...  (Read 25273 times)

Offline echo419

Condom Use...but...
« on: August 01, 2006, 09:32:28 pm »
I had unprotected vaginal sex with a girl I had known for about a month, then about a week and a half later, a friend said that the girl was a bit "nuts and needy" and had claimed to one of his friends that she had AIDS.

I was concerned because she had already admitted that she had genital warts before (I didn't care because my ex had them, and I likely did too since it' transmits easily) but she had a made a big deal out of it, saying how no one wanted her because she had that STD. Suddenly, I thought she had not been fully truthful about what she had...

So I asked her if she had HIV, she said no. I asked her if she would get tested with me, and she agreed to. So the next day, I took her to planned parenthood and we both got tested with OraQuickAdvance tests. We were both negative...as far as I know. My test was meaningless for my exposure to her though, since it was only a week and a half after our unprotected sex. Though it does rule out infection from previous partners.

We tested at planned parenthood, and did anonamous results. They said we could not see each others test results directly, only our own, but we could request photocopies of our results, which we both did, and both forms were "Negative" for HIV. And the numbers and info on the forms was indeed correct. I was so suspicious that I even took note of the fact that the "Negative" checkmark was written in a darker, thicker ink than the other markings, indicating it was checked off later, obviously after getting the negative result, or at least I told myself so...

However, I don't trust her on this fully.....I know alot of people don't disclose HIV infection to partners, and if she thought she was going to be exposed by a test, there would be no limit to what she would say or do to prevent that....and I'm not sure if I trust the testers either. If she was already positive, all she would of had to do is say she wanted a fake test result, and said she feared domestic violence or something, and they would of done it for her, right? In the name of confidentiality?

I wouldn't worrry, but I heared what I hope is an urban legend about confidentiality, where a man tested positive for HIV, asked the tech to be there when he told his pregnant wife the bad news, but the guy said he was negative right in front of the tech, and the tech said nothing because of confidentiality. It sounds like an urban legend to me though..

About 5 weeks after our encouter, I started thinking I might have thrush, and waking up with a couple of tiny white things on my lips, and a coated tounge, ect. When I did that "Spit in a bottle and see if stuff grows" thrush test, stuff growed...so I think I have thrush. While I have not had a fever, just a mild headache a few times, and no rash, diarreah, or other HIV ARS symptoms (And I know fever is almost always present), I am concerned about the potential of thrush. While I have had no white spots that bleed or anything that looks like pictures of thrush, I think I may just have a mild case, and I am otherwise healthy and not on antibiotics or anything.

I generally consider myself a rational person, so this is very disturbing to me, being so suspicious, and actually afraid to get tested again...
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 09:36:15 pm by echo419 »

Offline AIDS2HIV

• www.aids2hiv.com
Re: Suspicious of partners results...
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 10:06:41 pm »
About 5 weeks after our encouter, I started thinking I might have thrush...

THATS your whole problem .....YOUR THINKING*            Go talk to a counselor,address the real issues you have, its not HIV
Its the future of Hiv Education, and Resources www.aids2hiv.com      Got Community?

Offline one in a million

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 12:12:32 am »
True, I bet it is difficult to trust somebody fully who is willing to go and take a test with you because you are worried she has hiv. Sounds fishy. I wonder if she had been there before and whited out the positive and switced it to a negative, or maybe her dad works there and changed the the results! You never know! 

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 01:14:32 am »
True, I bet it is difficult to trust somebody fully who is willing to go and take a test with you because you are worried she has hiv. Sounds fishy. I wonder if she had been there before and whited out the positive and switced it to a negative, or maybe her dad works there and changed the the results! You never know!

Million,

This is really silly advice to give in a forum like this. If you don't have anything sensible to offer then you should stay quiet. Not to mention that you should stay in your own thread.

MtD
(Who honestly wonders)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 01:33:08 am by matty.the.damned »

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 01:57:59 am »
One in a million, if you are being sarcastic this really isn't the place.

Insofar as the origial poster, confidentiality laws do not mean someone gets a fake negative test. As a matter of fact, HIV is a reportable disease in many places. Most, actually. You guys went to get tested together, and were both negative.

To consent to unprotected penetrative sex, as Ann eloquently states, is to consent to the possibility of contracting a sexually transmitted illness. If you were not certain of her status, and yours, then you absolutely should not have had unprotected sex. Period.

It would appear that your relationship with this girl is over. At least I hope it is, since you are listening to your friends' comments about your partner being "nuts and seedy."

While it is not absolutely certain that either or both of you were not in the brief window period before seroconverting, it's probably at least ninety percent or better odds that your tests were both accurate.

Perhaps in the future, when you decide to engage in a monogamous relationship, you can go in together, get a baseline HIv test, then continue to use condoms for three months before getting your confirmation. After that, you will have as clear a portrait of your partner's HIV status as your trust will allow.

regardless, your fantasies about the clinic conspiring to infect you are just that.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline echo419

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 07:51:59 pm »
Thanks, I've never been more glad to be called paranoid!

Offline echo419

HAART and OraQuick False Negatives
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 02:41:44 am »
I read a study that 4 out of 100 people who were already on HAART tested false negative on the OraQuick test during a study. Each of them had started HAART soon after infection and had an undetectable viral load, and each of them had earlier stored blood samples test positive.

Considering the fact that some people might not be forthcoming with their HIV status, does this mean that OraQuick testing for couples may not be the best option if one is concerned about the serostatus of a partner?

Obviously, 96% sensitivity is good enough that no one would be able to bet on getting a negative OraqQuick result with HAART if they were trying to conceal status though.

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
Re: HAART and OraQuick False Negatives
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 04:30:08 am »
Echo,

I read that study too. 

I seriously doubt that anyone would employ this test as a deceptive measure when they only have a 4% chance of success. 

There are, I'm sure, many easier ways of deceiving partners should you be one of Satan's minions hell bent on doing so.

Morgan
Morgan Landers

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 08:19:05 am »
Echo,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline echo419

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2006, 04:10:59 pm »
Does anyone know if night sweats would just be a sweaty neck/armpit, or the entire body? And I don't have a fever...I don't get it.

Offline echo419

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 03:14:38 am »
I feel alot safer now...

I "Did the math" so to speak.

If she was infected and lying about it, first off, there would be 1 in 20 chance of her actually getting a false negative on the OraQuick.

Then, 1 in 1000 odds of infection, which would be less if she was actually infected and on HAART

Then, 1 in 20 odds of me not having a fever during ARS, all my other "Maybe" symptoms not withstanding.

So...

1 in 20
Then 1 in 1000
Then 1 in 20 again

Like, 1 in 400,000? or 40,000? Regardless, pretty high odds that I'm OK from this incident, that is if she was really lying about infection, which is paranoia anyway.

Yeah, I feel better now, thanks for the support (And kicks in the nuts, which I deserved for being so cynical)

« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 03:18:13 am by echo419 »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2006, 04:37:56 am »
HAART does not prevent the spread of HIV..Period. You can do all the math you want, but until you are tested and find out your results you are just playing guessing games.

Offline echo419

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2006, 07:48:18 am »
Well, I planned on getting tested...I'm at 7 weeks now so I feel confident it'll be pretty accurate.

HAART doesn't reduce chances of spreading HIV, but low viral load does, and all of the people who got false negatives with OraQuick due to being on HAART also had undetectable viral loads at the time.....that seemed the common theme of causing this error. (And yes, I know, low viral load induced by HAART doesn't translate to a low viral load in sexual fluids, but the data shows that there is a general corralation from the studies I read.)

The only probable way she could of had a false negative is if she was on HAART and lying about status and had that 1 in 20 false negative, or in the window period after being infected by someone else. I highly doubt the former and the latter now, so the chances of me having HIV are about nill.

But still, I know I need to test to totally forget about it, I'll likely march into PP tomorrow and just get it over with.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 07:51:07 am by echo419 »

Offline echo419

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2006, 03:30:22 pm »
Negative OraQuick test at 7 weeks, I'll retest at 3 months just to be on the safe side, but that's pretty encouraging from what I read.

Offline echo419

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2006, 08:44:11 pm »
I keep having these night sweats, but it's just my neck that's sweaty, the rest of me is dry, and no fever...

I've heared that night sweats without fever are not indicative of ARS, especially if they started more than 6 weeks after exposure, is that about right?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2006, 08:53:41 pm »
That's correct. Symptoms or the lack of symptoms is not a way to diagnosis HIV.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2006, 05:44:26 am »
Echo,

You seem to have a misunderstanding of hiv testing and I suggest you follow the Lesson links in the Welcome Thread

A person who is hiv positive and on HAART will test positive on an OraQuick hiv test. The hiv tests look for antibodies, not the virus itself. HAART does not affect antibodies. Once a person develops hiv antibodies, they will always test positive.

It is highly unlikely that your seven week negative will change, but as you did have unprotected intercourse, you do need that confirmation at 12-13 weeks. I'm fully expecting another negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline echo419

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2006, 06:58:19 am »
Well, I know it tests for antibodies. However, the Oraquick package insert itself warns of very rare false negatives when used on someone who was put on HAART early, and where it kept the viral load supressed, because it removed something that the rapid tests check for...

Out of 101 test subjects, 4 tested false negative while on HAART, for 96% Sensitivity. But again, it's hardly enough of a decrease in sensitivity to risk getting tested and having a positive result if one was trying to conceal HIV status. A simple "I don't want to get tested" excuse would be far more likely....and only someone who is paranoid enough to look for stuff like a worried well would know about this potential problem anyway.

And combined with my own negative result at 7 weeks, I'm confident enough that my 3 month test will be negative.

Here is the study that found the false negative issue with HAART and Oraquick

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=154669

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2006, 08:19:39 am »
echo,

The bottom line here is that these findings have absolutely nothing to do with you or anyone else who comes to this forum for information.

You cannot know your own status going by someone else's test results. You can ONLY know your own status through taking your own test.

As you are not currently on a HAART regimen, you do not have to worry about getting a false negative result on an OraSure test.

I do not expect your seven week negative result to change.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline echo419

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2006, 01:49:28 am »
The night sweats just won't go away, but still no fever...I don't get it. I have no other explination for the night sweats, no antidepressants, nothing else that could cause them to start at 6 1/2 weeks post exposure, except for HIV it seems. No one lists night sweats as an anxiety symptom that I can see...

Yet I also hear from both Dr. Bob and another source that night sweats without fever are not worrysome for ARS? But my mouth is dry and tastes funny and my throat seems somewhat swollen and sore at times.....and I lost a pound of weight over the last 2 weeks with very little exercise.

My symptoms seem to have been spread out over several weeks, which isn't like ARS, but I also tested negative at 7 weeks (More like 6 1/2), which means I would be a late seroconverter and my ARS symptoms wouldn't be typical, right?

If it wasn't for these night sweats, I could dismiss it totally and just wait for my 3 month test, but I've never had them before except when I drink, and even without fever, they can be a sign of ARS, correct?

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2006, 02:19:23 am »
Night sweats? Seriously, dude, how hard were you looking?

The following medical conditions are some of the possible causes of Night sweats as a symptom. There are likely to be other possible causes, so ask your doctor about your symptoms.
Practical reasons for sweating during the night:
Over-heating during sleep
Spicy foods before bedtime
Hot drinks before bedtime
Hot weather
Hot bedroom
Too many blankets
Exercising before bedtime
Menopause
Perimenopause
Emotional problems
Stress
Nightmares
Sleep walking
Sleep apnea
Obstructive sleep apnea
Fever - see various causes of fever
Infections and other serious conditions may include:
Virus
Common cold
Flu
Hepatitis
Abscess
Subphrenic abscess
Tuberculosis
Pulmonary tuberculosis
Thyroid disorders
Leukemia
Hodgkin's disease
AIDS
Endocarditis
Brucellosis
Immune system disorders
Stroke
Heart disease
Bowel disease
See also causes of cold sweats (night sweats are usually a form of cold sweat at night)

source:

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/sym/night_sweats.htm

Seriously. CAN'T be anything but HIV? C'mon, tell the truth. You aren't looking at ANYTHING except HIV as your cause, are you?

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline echo419

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2006, 02:21:35 am »
...no, I suppose I'm not.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2006, 02:23:22 am »
Gee. what ELSE can cause night sweats?

a ten second google found this list:

Malignancy
Lymphoma
Leukemia
Other neoplasm
Infections
Human immunodeficiency virus
Tuberculosis
Mycobacterium avium complex
Infectious mononucleosis
Fungal infections (histoplasmosis, coccidioidomycosis)
Lung abscess2
Endocarditis
Other infection
Endocrine
Ovarian failure
Hyperthyroidism
Diabetes mellitus (nocturnal hypoglycemia)
Endocrine tumors (pheochromocytoma, carcinoid tumor)
Orchiectomy3
Rheumatologic
Takayasu's arteritis
Temporal arteritis4
Other
Obstructive sleep apnea
Gastroesophageal reflux disease
Chronic fatigue syndrome
Granulomatous disease5
Chronic eosinophilic pneumonia
Lymph node hyperplasia6
Diabetes insipidus8
Prinzmetal's angina9
Anxiety
Pregnancy9
Drugs (Table 3)
Antipyretics (salicylates, acetaminophen)
Antihypertensives
Phenothiazines
Substances of abuse: alcohol, heroin
Over-bundling
Autonomic over-activity
stress or emotional distress

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20030301/1019.html

Welcome Thread

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2006, 02:30:29 am »
PS: Not trying to be a jerk. Only pointing out that were it not for the comment your "friend" made about the girl you were seeing, I submit that you would not have given this much thought at all.

As Ann says, to consent to unprotected sex is to consent to the possibility of acquiring an STD. It appears unlikely in the extreme that you contracted one from this girl, this time. But I highly recommend in the future, you do not make safer sex decisions based on how a person acts or looks or what your friends say. Nor should your post-sexual concerns be colored by rumor or innuendo. That's not fair to you or your partner.

Assuming that each and every partner is HIV positive, and proceeding with the simple caution of using a condom for penetrative sex until such time as you can both test reliably negative together, and you decide to trust your partner with your status, seems like a logical.. if not downright adult.... choice. Also lets you sleep better at night.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 02:36:30 am by jkinatl2 »

Welcome Thread

Offline echo419

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2006, 02:35:07 am »
I totally agree, I made poor choices in that regard. Alot of this may just be guilt over that.

Offline echo419

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2006, 09:01:28 pm »
Does anyone know if Oral Thrush would show up just on the lips in the morning and no where else? My tounge is coated, but it doesn't really fit the "Thrush" description. I have had a -very- dry mouth the last few days because of worry and it made it worse this morning...., but regardless, I do usually notice little slightly whiteish things along the lines where my lips meet in the morning, or have noticed them for the last few weeks regardless of my mouth condition, but they don't have redness under them when they whipe away, and only are there when I first wake up.

Does anyone know if this is typical thrush? This is like the last real symptom I have besides the sweats, because my throat feels pretty good now!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 09:03:45 pm by echo419 »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2006, 09:05:26 pm »
That is not thrush on your lips. It's goop from breathing through your mouth when you are sleeping.

Offline echo419

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2006, 09:15:55 pm »
Yeah, I do tend to mouth breathe when I sleep lately, my nose has always been kinda chronicly stuffed up in one nostril or the other.

Offline echo419

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2006, 10:35:51 am »
I don't have anything to worry about...

Now, at 3 months after our little unprotected romp, this girl tested by home access for me, did everything right in front of me, gave me the envelope to mail off, and when the results came, she let me check on them with the number. This was a conventional test I think, and there is no way HAART or anything would interfere with it. I also know it's her blood because she did the test across the room from me.

She went above and beyond to get rid of my worries on this issue, and now all I can do is apologize to her. Most people would of just told me to go away, I know I would of, but she cares about me, and obviously wants there to be trust between us....and I just doubted her.

I'll be having another test anyway, because I am going through a MEPS Physical in a month, but I know without any doubt that it will be negative.

My night sweats cleared up the same day I got the negative test from her...go figure.

Thanks for the support guys!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2006, 10:51:11 am »
echo,

Protect your negative status by using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline echo419

« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2006, 11:42:16 am »
Thanks Ann, I will take precautions from here on out.

I also want to donate to a chairity related to HIV/AIDS, do you know one that does alot of good work?

Offline echo419

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2006, 06:02:28 pm »
Well, I guess I spoke too soon. It turns out that seroreversion is reported on those who start treatment early, but they remain infectious. "Early" is defined as being within 12 months of infection, which doesn't seem very "Early" to me, since people at high risk should be getting tested every 6 months anyway. Granted, the chances of being nonreactive on both Home Access (According to one of the studies, the particular ELISA used by home access is 98.8% accurate even in those treated early and effectively) and an OraQuick are low....but who knows?

In my case, I know she has genital warts, she says she found out about them a few months to a year (She keeps changing the time) after breaking up with her last boyfriend, but she claims that they didn't do an HIV test on her when they found genital warts, just a pap. Isn't it standard practice to do an HIV test whenever any STD is found? Sounds fishy....and if they found HIV infection at the same time as genital warts, they would of put her on early HAART no doubt, since it's standard practice to start meds early.

Here are the two articles detailing the issue of seroreversion in those caught early and treated early with HAART.

http://www.aidsmap.com/en/news/c4bb2e4a-da3c-46a1-b8f8-f560d2f64afe.asp

http://hivinsite.ucsf.edu/pdf/p01-kb-new/kbr-03-01-11-sero.pdf

The entire reassurance of having her willing to get tested evaporates if she could know she would get a negative from past experience...

Oh well, that's what my next test will tell me I suppose. Guess it was too good to be true.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 06:05:43 pm by echo419 »

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2006, 06:12:51 pm »
Well, I guess I spoke too soon. It turns out that seroreversion is reported on those who start treatment early, but they remain infectious. "Early" is defined as being within 12 months of infection, which doesn't seem very "Early" to me, since people at high risk should be getting tested every 6 months anyway. Granted, the chances of being nonreactive on both Home Access (According to one of the studies, the particular ELISA used by home access is 98.8% accurate even in those treated early and effectively) and an OraQuick are low....but who knows?

In my case, I know she has genital warts, she says she found out about them a few months to a year (She keeps changing the time) after breaking up with her last boyfriend, but she claims that they didn't do an HIV test on her when they found genital warts, just a pap. Isn't it standard practice to do an HIV test whenever any STD is found? Sounds fishy....and if they found HIV infection at the same time as genital warts, they would of put her on early HAART no doubt, since it's standard practice to start meds early.

Listen up,

I cannot understand why you're obsessing about her testing or having warts or anything else. The only HIV test that matters is the one that you need to have at the 12-13 week mark.

MtD

Offline echo419

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2006, 06:27:57 pm »
Matty,

I'm aware that's the only test the matters in the end, but knowing the likelyhood of what that test is going to be is important to keeping myself together until then.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2006, 06:31:42 pm »
Matty,

I'm aware that's the only test the matters in the end, but knowing the likelyhood of what that test is going to be is important to keeping myself together until then.

And that "likelihood" is that test will be negative.

MtD

/edited for a typo/
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 10:41:12 pm by matty.the.damned »

Offline echo419

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2006, 08:57:24 am »
Okay, deleted
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 01:01:28 pm by echo419 »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2006, 09:46:37 am »
That is not thrush!!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2006, 10:02:05 am »
echo,

That is NOTHING like thrush. It's goo that many people wake up with in the morning.

And take that photo down. We do not encourage this practice as we cannot diagnose via photos. If you don't remove it, I will.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline echo419

Thanks!
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2006, 05:33:52 pm »
Thanks again for your support, meant to post this in my original thread...

Offline echo419

Re: Thanks!
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2006, 09:22:27 pm »
Oh....I forgot to mention, took and OraQuick today, 12 weeks post exposure, negative.

Thanks for the support...and I know that there are people who have HIV that use this site, who really do need new treatments and such....most of the people giving me information about HIV have it themselves, and I can't just forget about that.

Is there a good, HIV related chairity I can donate to? I want to donate to one that doesn't do loopy stuff like not promoting condoms because of a religiously driven pro abstinance bent or something...

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2006, 10:07:03 pm »
Glad you found the support here to be helpful.

And congratulations on that happy test result. Protect that gift by always following safer sex guidelines.

Just about any HIV/AIDS service organization can always use a donation. See who's in your area. If you have trouble finding one let us know but we prefer that you choose one on your own.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline seemilesrun

Condom Use...but...
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2006, 10:19:36 pm »
I do not usually sleep around, and always use protection, but a couple nights ago, I had protected sex....but, it didn't go all the way to the base of my penis, they never quite fit all the way down, and it left about half an inch exposed. After sex, I noticed I had a little red, painful to the touch boil on the uncovered area, it didn't seem like it was "Open", and there was only one of them, but it was still not healthy skin, and it certainly got vaginal fluids on it. The boil was gone the next day. I looked up most of the STD's that cause such things, like Herpes and Syphillis, and it doesn't seem to fit the description of any of those STD's, but still, it was certainly worrisome.

Should I be concerned that I could get HIV over this? She claims she has been tested recently, and even asked me if I had any STD's before sex, but you never know....

Offline Matty the Damned

Re: Condom Use...but...
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2006, 10:23:38 pm »
Miles,

No this isn't a risk situation for HIV infection since the head of your penis was covered by the condom. Condoms are a very effective barrier against HIV and in any event it's not an easy virus to transmit. Particularly from female to male.

That said and with a nod to your concerns about other STD's, you should probably have a full STD screen done. A full screen will include an HIV antibody test. Sexually active people should have a full screen performed at least twice a year. STD's like gonorrhoea, chlamydia and herpes are much more prevalent and contagious than HIV. If it's been a while since your last screen or if you've not had one before, you should consider making an appointment with your doctor or local clinic.

Please read our Welcome Thread to learn more about how HIV is and is not transmitted.

Regards,

MtD

Offline seemilesrun

« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2006, 12:02:48 am »
Since this isn't a risk for HIV, should I just go get an STD Screen as soon as possible, rather than waiting for 3 months for the HIV test to be accurate, seeing how it's not a real exposure risk, but I could have another STD?

If I have something else, I want to know as well, because I know other STD's can't always be stopped from spreading by condoms

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2006, 12:11:12 am »
Miles,

Well that's up to you. It's true that some STD's (such as genital herpes and syphilis) can be transmitted to parts of you not covered by the condom. If you're really concerned make an appointment with your doctor or local clinic and discuss your particular needs.

MtD

Offline seemilesrun

« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2006, 12:30:29 am »
I will do so, just to be on the safe side. I'm not too worried about having anything because it doesn't fit the typical symptoms of such things, but it's worth checking out. I'm just relived to hear it's not a risk for HIV.

Thanks!

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2006, 02:15:47 am »
I'm glad I was able to help you Miles.

One thing, many STD's can be asymptomatic. Symptoms are never a good thing to rely on in these matters. It's about risky behaviours and testing at the appropriate times.

Regards,

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2006, 06:50:14 am »
echo,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

It's good to hear of your negative result - your conclusive negative result. Please protect your negative status by not having unprotected intercourse again until you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have BOTH tested negative together.

Use condoms and avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2006, 07:05:43 am »
seemilesrun,

Can I ask why you are using different usernames while posting to our forums? Thus far, you have also used echo419

Please realize that this kind of activity is disrespectful of other forum members, as well as our moderators. People spend a considerable amount of time helping others in these forums. Using multiple accounts is at the very least annoying, if not deceiving and disrespectful of others. It is also against our Terms of Membership which you agreed to when you became a member. This information is also contained within the Welcome Thread, which you should have read by now. So really, you have no excuse.

You must realize that the answers won't change, no matter how many names you post under.

I would appreciate a reply to this message, and I hope you will commit to using just one account - preferably your original one. If not, you will be banned from further access to the forums.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline echo419

« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2006, 12:22:29 am »
Thanks Ann...I feel bad about posting under another name...but I would of felt stupid posting about a new worry right after getting my negative results...especially if it had been a real risk (I used a condom, I thought it was safe, but it was still a -what if?- to me at the time)

After I got my negative results, I finally felt safe about having sex with a girl I have been dating for about a month. I couldn't stand the possibility of infecting someone if I thought I was even possibly infected (Especially if I was acute with a high viral load, which I read is the "Engine" behind alot of transmission), and even with condoms I just wouldn't of felt I was being safe enough.  And I would of had to disclose that I thought I may of been exposed even with protection, which could of ruined the relationship, and my reptuation in the dorms at my college.

We had protected sex after I got my reliable 12 week test back, me and my current girlfriend....as I mentioned in the other thread, and I freaked out, thought I might have another STD and had just -really- infected myself through it..I didn't realize just how much the HIV scare had shooken me up. I had to just go up on to the top of the west hills (I'm in Portland Oregon, it's beautiful here) and just sit...and think about what I had done, the mistakes I had made, and simply let the past go. If I continue to worry about infection even with protection, I would never be able to trust in a relationship again, it's that simple.

I made a 50 dollar donation to the Robert Fransisco AIDS Foundation since his archives were so helpful to me in terms of reassurance, and I was fascinated by how he handled his infection (Especially by something as rare as a needlestick), and still lived life to the fullest.  I also plan to take part in the Portland AIDS walk later this month. I feel a bit like the classic person who didn't think much about an issue until it potentially affected me, but I think I at least should take that walk in solidarity for new treatments and prevention.

Thanks for all the help, and I apologize for being so irrational.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.