Main Forums > Someone I Care About Has HIV

Will normalcy ever exist again

<< < (2/2)

Tonny2:

ojo.          Hello there!…yes, time will bring back normalcy, as Jim said, after you get his lab results you two will know what follow, treatment, and then you will be able to talk about the subject, how he acquired, the good thing is that you didn’t acquired…take your time and please keep us posted, we are here for you two…hugs

Lost84:
Thank you all so much. Just being able to talk to someone has helped more than you know. To see how your able to have a positive mindset gives me hope. I will keep everyone posted.

Jim Allen:

--- Quote from: Lost84 on May 12, 2023, 01:25:48 pm ---Thank you all so much. Just being able to talk to someone has helped more than you know. To see how your able to have a positive mindset gives me hope. I will keep everyone posted.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, so please keep us posted and remember that you can't support him if you are drowning, so take care of yourself. If its time out, like walks, gym or having a night out, whatever it is you do to relax, make sure to be doing it.

Lost84:
Good news. The Dr said by my husband's next visit he should be undetectable. His next visit is less than a month away. I'm really happy for him.  I do however have questions that I feel like no one is giving me a direct answer to. I'm taking prep but do I take this forever? If he's undetectable why would I still need to continue to take it? Also, Im having extreme anxiety about sex. I love him and do want to be intimate with him but I'm scared. I wish I could shut these feelings off but they are always there .

Jim Allen:
I would normally park this type of post and question in the "How to prevent HIV " section but I will leave it here.

--- Quote ---I'm taking prep but do I take this forever?
--- End quote ---

Short answer, No.

--- Quote ---If he's undetectable why would I still need to continue to take it?
--- End quote ---

Well, nobody can guarantee that someone will take their meds, but once your partner has a suppressed viral load (below 200 copies) for six+ months and they then continue to take their meds, they can not pass on HIV sexually, even if you don't take PrEP and condomless intercourse does occur; See https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=71864.0

In the meantime, use condoms for any intercourse as HIV can't pass through an intact latex condom and it reduces the STI risks and take your PrEP as an additional layer of HIV prevention.

--- Quote ---Also, Im having extreme anxiety about sex. I love him and do want to be intimate with him but I'm scared. I wish I could shut these feelings off but they are always there .
--- End quote ---

To be expected, this is new to both of you. Give it time, talk to a therapist perhaps, and definitely talk to your partner about how they are feeling, prehaps they feel the same, maybe you could start off light to get comfortable again and in the meantime, use condoms & PrEP if any intercourse does happen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version