Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:51:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 206
Total: 207

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Newly Poz  (Read 4339 times)

Offline lilred122214

Newly Poz
« on: August 05, 2009, 08:16:30 pm »
Hey, So I just tested Positive a little over 4 months ago... I am currently in a Poz Neg relationship, which for me has been going really well...  I guess my main wonder is do alot of people get depressed or isolate? I have noticed that i have not been active a lot with support system or the people i love? I have a therapist but we are just starting to tackle this. Just want some feedback ???

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
Re: Newly Poz
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 09:42:50 pm »
Hello and welcome aboard.  Good to see that you have someone by your side; support and love are crucial.  You will read here that the reactions vary.  Some people take a long time to finally accept this change in their life and continue LIVING, others are able to move on rather quickly.  My first week I was rather numb, angry with myself and the one that I loved (a story for another post), and simply getting my affairs in order in a sort of mechanical way.  There was some crying, but my anger would not allow me to grieve as I perhaps should have.   Within two weeks I felt more hopeful (information, support and love from my "selected six", and a new-found interest in facing a life that I had thus far not lived to its full potential).  Joining these forums also made it much easier indeed.

Depression can happen; this can be a lot to absorb.   I guess it all depends on our own history, and how we have dealt with loss, issues, and/or difficulties in the past may influence the approach that we will take regarding this diagnosis/ new life.  Someone who clings on to life with a fatalistic approach may face a longer "grieving" stage.  Someone who is optimistic (not in denial, let me be clear) will probably have an easier time transitioning back to life.  The fact that you are opening to your therapist about this will be of great help.

It is only normal that you don't feel as "active" as you may have been before; you just need to process all this info and figure out what the best course to follow (for you) may be.  Just be sure to plan on living a healthy life; this includes knowing your numbers and having the right doctor(s) to work with you through this.  Eat well; exercise; work on eliminating bad behaviors if you had any.   One great thing is that you have a partner/companion and support system.  You should see yourself bouncing back to "normality" soon.

Hope that I made sense.  Wish you only the best.

Big Hug

LBTM
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 09:45:48 pm by livebythemoon »
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline justaguy

Re: Newly Poz
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 12:48:54 am »
Hey, So I just tested Positive a little over 4 months ago... I am currently in a Poz Neg relationship, which for me has been going really well...  I guess my main wonder is do alot of people get depressed or isolate? I have noticed that i have not been active a lot with support system or the people i love? I have a therapist but we are just starting to tackle this. Just want some feedback ???

Livebythemoon makes many good points.  I'm about 4 months into this myself, and my therapist and I have spent a lot of time on this very issue.  His explanation is that having HIV is kind of like a second coming out process.  I don't know how your coming out process was (assuming you're gay), but for me, I was a very isolated person before I came to terms with being gay.  I closed myself off, because I didn't feel like I could identify with all the straight people around me.  Once I got comfortable with my feelings, and made gay friends, I found that I still isolated myself in certain ways, particularly in that I wanted to hang out with gay people more than straight people because of that whole common bond/sympathy thing.  And right when I was finally totally comfortable in my own skin, I wind up with HIV, and it's a whole new set of secrets....So maybe that's a little of what you're going through = not feeling like you can relate to friends that don't have it.  Even my therapist, who is a very empathetic person and my friends who I have told will never know what it feels like to be positive, just like a straight man will never know what it is really like to be gay.  They can be understanding and open minded, but unless you are in this position, no one can truly understand it.  I know that there are days when I definitely feel like a leper, but I know it's an issue i have to deal with (and apparently so do you), so I rationalize those feelings away, because when you get down to it, we're the same people we were before.  I even told my therpaist once that finding out I was positive was almost anti-climactic - it wasn't nearly the earth shattering event I thought it would be.  I don't feel hopeless, I don't feel like my life is over, and I don't want to curl up and die.  In many ways it's been a wake up call to start living life in a little bit more selfish way - enjoy the beautiful and wonderful things in life.  I don't know if any of this rambling has helped, but I definitely understand your feelings.  Good luck, it sounds like you're on the right track.
Estimated infection: 3/2008
Tested HIV positive: 3/31/2009
CD4 136/unknown %/VL 150,000: 4/6/2009
Started Atripla 4/17/2009
CD4 255/19%/VL 409 5/27/2009
CD4 247/??/VL 161 6/27/2009
CD4 257/21%/VL 60 7/22/2009
CD4 352/22%/VL Undetectable 10/21/2009
CD4 490/27%/VL Undetectable 2/15/2010
CD4 397/?/VL Undetectable 7/2/2010

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.