Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:49:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 386
Total: 389

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: vitamin deficient, HIV positive and about to have Gastric Bypass Surgery  (Read 11302 times)

Offline starmarc1

hello everyone.... due to lack of information out in the world about being positive and undergoing gastric bypass...i am going to try to post information about what is happening to me personally as i am having gastric bypass surgery scheduled December 19, 2011. I hope this is able to help somebody.

i am 34 african american female, i have 2 children (both negative) I was dx in 96, i have never been on any meds except for during my last pregnancy as precaution in 07. i am currently not on any meds either except for high blood pressure and my valtrex, yes i also have herpes. currently i am 5' 8" and weigh 307 pounds i suffer from high blood pressure, sleep apnea(mild) high cholesterol, and vitamin deficiency.
i am deficient in vitamin A, D, B12, and iron

April, 2011 numbers
CD4-915
CD8- 1235
Viral Load- 7437copies

September numbers:
CD4- 951
CD8- 1201
Viral Load- 1430copies

so here i am today, i am currently taking multivitamins, calcium citrate with d3, and b12 sublinguals.
 i will be doing more blood work in December which will be my last blood drawn before the surgery so i will have a way to compare because i will get my blood drawn a month after surgery and every month for the next 6 months just to keep records so i can document what happens. i really hope this reaches out to somebody so it will be of help. i will keep you guys posted soon

Offline mpositive

Re: the effects of Gastric Bypass and women living with HIV
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 09:10:40 am »
starmac,

I had Lapband surgery in 2006.  In 2008 I was infected with HIV.  Unfortunately, the HIV meds became very difficult for me to take and did cause me some difficulties.  However, not the virus itself.  If you are going thru gastric bypass, you should not have the same experience as I, however, my concern with your procedure is the ability to absorb your nutrition.  Apparently you are already aware of that and are taking supplements.
Good luck to you and much success!
M

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: vitamin deficient, HIV positive and about to have Gastric Bypass Surgery
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 09:24:02 am »
M, you originally replied to starmac in the Women's forum, where as a man, you are not permitted to post. Starmac posted the same questions here in the Nutrition forum, so I put your reply here.

Starmac, sorry, I don't have any words of advice, except perhaps to say that a mate of mine had this surgery done and he's found that he has to eat around seven or eight very small meals a day to meet his nutritional needs. If he eats too much at one time, he gets a severe stomach ache.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline starmarc1

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 10:27:03 am »
mpositive, thank you for responding and thank you for all the well wishes,  i also had lap band in 2010, my band failed so i am converting to bypass, i am aware that every person is not the same and we all will have different experiences. i just hope and pray everything goes well as far as absorption. but from what i am hearing and reading, there are certain HIV meds out there that will not be affected as far as absorption is concerned....hopefully all goes well with being med free after surgery! will keep everyone posted!

Ann, thank you so much for you response. and you are right with any type of bariatric surgery, we will have to eat different than most people.....we do have to eat many many small meal a day and supplement with vitamins for the rest of our lives...you are correct if we don't follow the strict guidelines we can have problems such as stomach aches and other types of illnesses, it will be a very difficult journey but with great outcomes I'm praying for. will keep posting update!! thanks you guys! thanks for the support!

Offline NycJoe

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 10:52:51 pm »
Good luck on your surgery.  Keep us up to date.  Hopefully this one will help you better than the lapband.

Joe

Offline nicki763

I am looking for someone who is going through this like I am

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
I am looking for someone who is going through this like I am

Hi Nicki, welcome to the forums.

I would suggest that you start your own thread and tell us a little bit about yourself. It's not clear what you're going through - although I realise you may be talking about gastric band issues.

Is there something specific you're worried about, such as what your numbers (CD4 & VL) are like and how that relates to your gastric issues?

If you start your own thread, people will answer you specifically, rather than having some people come in and not realise that the original poster hasn't posted to this thread since November 2011 (and answer the OP instead of you).

All you have to do to start your own thread is to go to the main Nutrition & HIV forum's main index page.

Once you're there, click on the New Topic button on the upper right-hand side of the page (under the Welcome banner) and write your post.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.