Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:24:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 273
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 275
Total: 275

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Could this be the holy grail ?  (Read 364775 times)

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
Re: Could this be the holy grail ?
« Reply #450 on: September 10, 2009, 10:51:54 am »
v: the link goes to a login page

Offline veritas

« Reply #451 on: September 10, 2009, 01:18:56 pm »

Inch,

Sorry about that ----  Here's the abstract.

Antiphospholipid Antibodies: Paradigm in Transition
Lawrence L. Horstman; Wenche Jy; Carlos J. Bidot; Yeon S. Ahn; Roger E. Kelley; Robert Zivadinov; Amir H. Maghzi; Masoud Etemadifar; Seyed Ali Mousavi; Alireza Minagar

Published: 03/18/2009

Abstract
Objectives: This is a critical review of anti-phospholipid antibodies (aPL). Most prior reviews focus on the aPL syndrome (APS), a thrombotic condition often marked by neurological disturbance. We bring to attention recent evidence that aPL may be equally relevant to non-thrombotic autoimmune conditions, notably, multiple sclerosis and ITP.
Organization: After a brief history, the recent proliferation of aPL target antigens is reviewed. The implication is that many more exist. Theories of aPL in thrombosis are then reviewed, concluding that all have merit but that aPL may have more diverse pathological consequences than now recognized. Next, conflicting results are explained by methodological differences. The lupus anticoagulant (LA) is then discussed. LA is the best predictor of thrombosis, but why this is true is not settled. Finally, aPL in non-thrombotic disorders is reviewed.
Conclusion: The current paradigm of aPL holds that they are important in thrombosis, but they may have much wider clinical significance, possibly of special interest in neurology.

v

Offline veritas

« Reply #452 on: September 10, 2009, 01:27:40 pm »
Relevant paragraph to HIV from above article:

HIV/AIDS
A viral cause of APS has been proposed.[318] HIV infection carries a high frequency of aPL[34,319] but here, too, the aPL in HIV were considered to be of the infection-related type and non-pathogenic. Haynes et al[46] point out that anti-HIV antibodies mounted by most patients fail to neutralize the virus, but a rare few do mount neutralizing responses, and those studied turned out to be polyspecific aCL, similar to the aPL profile seen in lupus (SLE). Indeed, they cite references indicating that SLE patients appear to be protected against contracting HIV, and argue that the general population fails to make such aPL because they have been deleted from the repertoire as self-reactive. In support of their contention, one of the neutralizing anti-HIV they studied was autoreactive with dsDNA, centromere B, histones and other self targets.[46] Relatedly, Zhang et al[320] investigated why most people fail to mount effective immune responses to HIV envelope proteins (Env), and suggested that Env suppresses CD40L expression, which in turn blunts the T cell ability to activate DCs. However, we feel that findings of Zhang et al[320] are consistent with the scenario given by Haynes et al.[46] Specifically, the aPL seen in the context of HIV and other infections may be more than epiphenomena and could offer important clues to immune function.

v

Offline veritas

« Reply #453 on: September 23, 2009, 08:50:07 am »

What will be discussed at these symposiums in Paris next month?

AIDS Vaccine 2009 - Scientific Program

Symposium 2: Generation of Antibody Responses and Diversity

Regulation of Broadly Neutralizing Antibody Responses: The Initial B Cell Repertoire To HIV-1 Envelope
Barton Haynes, Duke University Medical Center, USA

Broadly neutralizing anti-HIV-1 antibodies disrupt a hinge-related function of gp41 at the membrane interface
Likai Song,Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, USA

Symposium 6: Refining Immunogen Design

Structural basis of broad neutralization of HIV-1
Ian Wilson, The Scripps Research Institute, USA

Plenary Session 3: B Cell Biology

Development of anti-HIV antibodies in humans with high titers of broadly neutralizing antibodies
Michel Nussenzweig, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, The Rockefeller University, USA

Closing Session

Are we targeting the right HIV determinants?
Françoise Barré-Sinoussi, Institut Pasteur, France

v

Offline veritas

« Reply #454 on: September 23, 2009, 09:06:44 am »

In my previous post, look for PGN632  in Paris ------- Remember this?

http://www.cavd.org/Lists/Conference_Abstracts/DispForm_Custom.aspx?List=1509afcc%2D36c2%2D4e00%2D96cb%2D6d344366a502&ID=5

Why so quiet about this antibody?
What has been happening for the past year?
Stay tuned ........!

v

Offline veritas

« Reply #455 on: September 23, 2009, 09:32:26 am »

For those of you who do not remember the background of the PGN antibodies, here's a little history:

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/studies-presented-at-aacr-annual,792469.shtml

"Dr. Xianming Huang, assistant professor of pharmacology at UT Southwestern Medical Center and lead author of the study, noted, "Dendritic cells are the professional antigen-presenting cells of the immune system and they play a crucial role in initiating adaptive immune responses. Dendritic cells must be mature, or activated, to be effective, yet tumors and other pathogens such as viruses often possess the ability to undermine this maturation, thereby suppressing the immune response. The results presented today suggest that by blocking exposed PS, anti-PS antibodies have the potential to promote dendritic cell maturation in the body and thereby stimulate a more effective immune response"

Is it Happening ??????

v

Offline veritas

« Reply #456 on: September 25, 2009, 09:56:24 am »

Speaking of research ---- Does Poxvirus utilize PS?   YUP!!!

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2009/09/23/0909376106.abstract?sid=b7e7b186-3492-4dbc-b6c8-69df58d7e0ec

Another potential target !

IT'S HAPPENING !!!

v

Offline veritas

« Reply #457 on: October 05, 2009, 08:27:09 am »

Anti-ps, Bavituximab, shows positive results in Phase 2 lung cancer !

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Peregrine-Pharmaceuticals-prnews-1354732101.html?x=0&.v=1

Lung cancer is one of the most difficult cancers to treat.

Recent analysis from the 21-patient cohort now shows the median progression-free-survival (PFS) for these patients was 6.5 months, which compares favorably with the PFS range of 4.2 to 4.5 months reported in a similar patient population receiving carboplatin and paclitaxel as a single agent in NSCLC trials that were the basis for the design of the ongoing bavituximab study. Peregrine also reported that it has completed enrolling the total of 49 NSCLC patients planned for this study.

v

Offline veritas

« Reply #458 on: October 07, 2009, 09:37:38 am »
How many collaborations are studying anti-ps?   See here:

Supplement 1: Master List of Peregrineʼs Infectious Disease PS Targeting Collaborations (scroll down to view HIV collaborations)

http://www.peregrineinc.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=87&Itemid=153

St.Georges  Medical School  in London is one of the major collaborators in the study of HIV.

Do any of our UK friends know St. Georges ? I wonder why so many 1st class medical centers are researching anti-ps ? Why is the Gates Foundation pouring research funds into anti-ps?

WHY?  Because ----------

Anti-ps  -----  It's Happening !!!

v
ps: please notice most research is in chronic infection !
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 09:41:59 am by veritas »

Offline veritas

« Reply #459 on: October 07, 2009, 10:06:19 am »

Could it be that with all the research going on with anti-ps as an anti-viral that a company must form a team to keep track of it all ?  Yup!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Peregrine-Pharmaceuticals-prnews-517780487.html?x=0&.v=1

Is it Happening?  You bet!

v

Offline freewillie99

« Reply #460 on: October 07, 2009, 12:24:32 pm »
You bet!

Shouldn't that be "You betcha"?

Wasilla Willie
Beware Romanians bearing strange gifts

Offline veritas

« Reply #461 on: October 07, 2009, 12:51:34 pm »

This link shows where anti-ps is being studied as a therapy:

http://www.peregrineinc.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=84&Itemid=150

•Peregrineʼs PS targeting antibodies are now under investigation as potential therapy for chronic HIV infection at leading HIV research centers in the U.S. and U.K. Data presented by Duke University scientists at the international AIDS Vaccine.

Is it happening?  You betcha!  ( For you Free! )

v

Offline datdude

« Reply #462 on: October 07, 2009, 06:46:37 pm »
I'm confused, is anti-ps supposed to cure hiv, can vertas give me a simple explanation of what anti-ps is supposed to do to hiv. Thanks

Offline J220

« Reply #463 on: October 07, 2009, 07:13:15 pm »
I'm confused, is anti-ps supposed to cure hiv, can vertas give me a simple explanation of what anti-ps is supposed to do to hiv. Thanks

Are you kidding? There's 10 pages in the thread, surely you can find the answer somewhere there.....
"Hope is my philosophy
Just needs days in which to be
Love of Life means hope for me
Born on a New Day" - John David

Offline datdude

« Reply #464 on: October 08, 2009, 05:32:08 pm »
I see things about cancer but no I'm not kidding, I don't have time to read through 10 pages of information, I'm just wondering exactly what anti-ps could do to Hiv, and I wasn't asking you for a smart remark, I was asking veritas for a simple answer since he knows so much about anti-ps.  :o

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #465 on: October 08, 2009, 07:10:43 pm »
I see things about cancer but no I'm not kidding, I don't have time to read through 10 pages of information, I'm just wondering exactly what anti-ps could do to Hiv, and I wasn't asking you for a smart remark, I was asking veritas for a simple answer since he knows so much about anti-ps.  :o

I guess it comes with the territory that when there's a long-standing, popular thread that gets regularly updated with new information there will be those that miss what came before and it becomes daunting to read the whole thread.

There are sections in the thread that contain the answers to what you're asking. I can't find them right now but I know they're there, lol.

Offline carpediem98

« Reply #466 on: October 09, 2009, 12:09:56 am »
Here's an answer I gave to a similar question a while back... it's not COMPLETELY what you're looking for, but it's a good quick primer on anti-PS for anti-viral purposes:

My understanding of the principle is this.  HAART doesn't impact resting cells containing HIV because every drug involved in HAART acts directly against a specific activity of the virus - the virus is going to copy its RNA, or it's going to insert a double-stranded DNA into that of a host cell, or it's going to chop up a strand of DNA to begin budding, etc.  HAART directly intervenes, and if the cell is resting, HIV can't be interrupted while it tries to do any of those things because it isn't trying to do any of those things.

Anti-PS, howerver, doesn't act against an active virus, but against a compound on the outside of any cell containing a viral particle, whether it's "awake" or "asleep."  The reason for this would be that the cell begins to show signs of damage once it is compromised by the virus's entry.  At that point, the phosphatidylserene (PS) flips and is on the outside, and the cell appears to the rest of the immune system to be a normally dying cell rather than an infected, otherwise "normal" cell.

It might take repeat dosings to get it into all the nooks and crannies of the body, but eventually - theoretically - the anti-PS drug will have coursed throughout the body, and as it goes along, it will encounter these resting cells along with all the active, infected cells.  The resting cells, when they "wake up," will enter the bloodstream already marked for deletion as an "unwelcome invader."  HIV will not have a chance to replicate because the cell will be marked for destruction immediately upon waking up.  Theoretically, then, anti-PS has the POTENTIAL to be a treatment that would eradicate HIV as anything but a harmless, resting passenger.

Offline veritas

« Reply #467 on: October 09, 2009, 05:50:24 am »

datdude,

Here you go:

HIV - Phosphatidylserine Breakthrough

The July announcement by NIAID Director Dr. Anthony Fauci to scrap the upcoming "PAVE-100" HIV vaccine clinical trial, (following on the heels of the failed Merck "STEP" HIV vaccine trial), showed yet again how difficult and elusive the goal of an effective HIV vaccine remains.

In the midst of these sobering developments, an important new insight was gained into why experimental HIV vaccines have failed to elicit an adequate immune response. The discovery, published in the August issue of the Journal of Virology (1), came from the leader of NIAID's “CHAVI” organization, Dr. Barton Haynes of Duke University, who is also a principle investigator of the Gates Foundation HIV vaccine effort.

In their paper, Haynes and colleagues discuss experiments showing that HIV weakens the immune system much faster than previously thought. The primary mechanism responsible for this immunosuppression is an overwhelming amount of what Haynes terms "microparticles", which are tiny particles shed from the outer membranes of infected and dying cells. This cellular debris accumulates during early HIV infection, and circulates throughout the body blunting the functions of the immune cells that would ideally fight the virus. Popular news articles have discussed this aspect of the Duke researchers' findings, but the details and broader implications of the team's discovery have yet to be elucidated in the media.

The paper explains that the microparticles contain the molecule phosphatidylserine (PS) exposed on their surface. PS is a lipid that normally lines the interior of the cell membranes of every cell in our body. As a cell dies, it loses the ability to maintain PS on the inside of the cell membrane. The PS flips to the exterior, where it is perceived by immune cells as a sign of a dying native cell. The Haynes team cite recent data showing how exposed PS appears to be the fundamental signal that shifts the behavior of immune cells into not mounting an antigen-specific attack, since PS is interpreted as a sign of “self” rather than a foreign invader (2). Other researchers have also recently illustrated the suppressive effects of PS on macrophages, the resulting cytokine environment, dendritic cells, and T cells (3-7). It is thus no surprise that recent research has also revealed exposed PS as a feature common to many diverse pathogens (8-22), as if they independently evolved to exploit a similar mechanism of evasion, since it provides the crucial advantage of triggering an inappropriate immune response, facilitating the pathogen's survival and proliferation.

A review of Haynes' recent patent applications provides further details that have yet to be published in the journals. In one application, titled “Multicomponent Vaccine” (23), Haynes explains that any future successful HIV vaccine must interrupt this PS-mediated immunosuppressive signaling. A specific goal mentioned is for a vaccine to induce antibodies to PS (anti-PS), thereby blocking the overwhelming immune suppression seen in the Duke research, allowing the viral immunogen in the vaccine the chance to evoke T and B cells which effectively fight the virus.

In yet another recent patent application, Haynes proposes using anti-PS as a promising treatment for people already infected with the virus (24). He discusses the ability of anti-PS monoclonal antibodies to bind to HIV and HIV-infected cells, saying anti-PS "can be safely used as a therapeutic Mab for treatment of HIV infected subjects", and that it can "broadly neutralize HIV in an unprecedented manner".

Perhaps the most fascinating comment found in one of Haynes' many recent patent applications is his suggestion that HIV's method of immune evasion may be a general escape mechanism utilized by other pathogens (24), and that similar means of therapy may be effective against other diseases. Indeed, a review of the recent major journals corroborates this concept:

In April, the journal Science published experiments showing that the pox family of viruses, (vaccinia), utilize exposed PS to gain entry into cells (25).

In the March issue of the journal Clinical Cancer Research, scientists from Harvard University discuss experiments in which blocking PS signaling helped facilitate complete melanoma tumor regressions (26).

The protozoan parasites responsible for many of the deadly diseases affecting much of the developing world have been found to rely on exposed PS to successfully avoid the immune system of their host (16-22).

Several cancer researchers have recently published data which bears a striking resemblance to the new findings of the Haynes HIV group, showing a very similar method of systemic immune suppression caused by PS-exposing microparticles shed from tumor cells (29-34), (see also 27, 28).

In another recent Haynes patent application he also discusses PS-exposing microparticles as playing a role in the pathogenesis of several auto-immune diseases as well as atherosclerosis (35), (see also 36-40).

Taken together, these discoveries suggest a new immunological perspective of pathogenesis in general. A paradigm appears to be emerging in which the necessary and admirable flexibility of the immune system has been exploited precisely where it is most vulnerable – when it must commit to a 'friendly' response. The recent HIV research by Haynes and colleagues, focusing on PS-induced immune suppression, and the safe therapeutic targeting of exposed PS with antibodies, carries implications of unprecedented broad therapeutic potential.

The above is on page 1 of the thread. Carpediem gave you a good summary also. If your interested in anti-ps, take the time to read the thread. Even though it gives a lot of information as to the MOA (method of action) of anti-ps  against other pathogens and cancer, the moa is the same for all and if it works in one , it should work in all.They are farthest along in the cancer application (phase 2). The trick here is to mount a strong enough immune response for the antibody to do it's job. That's what they are testing at CHAVI.

Carpe:
Glad you started to post again. How have you been feeling? Stick around will you we miss ya!

v

Offline carpediem98

« Reply #468 on: October 10, 2009, 04:15:02 pm »
Thanks, V.!
I've been well - so well that I've not been online much, in fact!  I've moved to a great new home, have some wonderful things happening in my career, and have been physically well for several months now (aside from a brief visit from H1N1).

In order to keep this on-topic, here's another article about Peregrine's new anti-viral efforts - http://www.ritabiotech.com/news.html?page=1&id=293.  It contains this snippet:

Peregrine's anti-PS antibodies are also generating positive data in preclinical HIV studies conducted by researchers from leading universities and medical research institutions in the U.S. and U.K. with funding from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and the National Institutes of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID). These studies have yielded promising results that support the potential of PS-targeting agents for use as therapeutics, in vaccines and as topical microbicides, an especially promising application urgently needed in the effort to help women avoid infection with HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases such as herpes viruses and chlamydia. In addition, collaborators are also investigating the utility of PS-targeting antibodies against CMV infections and leishmaniasis, a protozoan disease that attacks people and cattle in tropical regions, with devastating effects on both health and economic well-being.

It also has this great, concise description of the basic mechanics of anti-PS.

PS [phosphatidylserene], a lipid molecule normally found only on the inside of cell membranes, becomes exposed on the outside of the membranes of certain viruses and virally infected cells. A rapidly growing body of published scientific research confirms that exposed PS is directly involved in the pathogenesis of many serious infectious diseases. Exposed PS enables viruses to evade immune recognition and dampens the body's normal responses to infection. By masking the exposed PS, PS-targeting antibodies are believed to block these effects, allowing the body to develop a robust immune response to the pathogen. Peregrine's PS-targeting antibodies have been shown to help clear infectious virus from the bloodstream and to induce antibody-dependent cellular cytotoxicity. Researchers have found that PS is exposed on the outer membrane of cells infected with HIV, influenza, herpes simplex viruses, hemorrhagic fever viruses, measles and members of the smallpox and rabies virus families. Scientists have also found that PS is exposed in certain infections caused by protozoan organisms, such as malaria and leishmaniasis.

Offline veritas

« Reply #469 on: October 11, 2009, 05:54:00 am »

carpe,

The indications that anti-ps is being tested for is mindboggling! When the DOD showed interest and awarded one of their largest grants for broad spectrum anti-virals to anti-ps, I realised that quite a few scientists must believe there is something fascinating here.
The cancer indication has been moving along with great results (close to phase 3). What's holding up the viral end is beyond me unless it has to do with the government. However, if there were any problems with the viral end, I'm sure all this reasearch would have been terminated ---- instead it's increasing. Makes you go -"HMMMMMMM"! Thanks for the link!

v

ps: Good luck in your new home. Glad to hear everthing is going well. H1N1--ugh! You beat it though --BRAVO !

Offline leit

« Reply #470 on: October 12, 2009, 08:00:49 pm »

have been physically well for several months now (aside from a brief visit from H1N1).

Please forgive my OT. In your doctor's opinion, had you somehow a "different"/more serious form of H1N1 flu (because of HIV)?
Thank you!

Offline brazilianman

« Reply #471 on: October 22, 2009, 06:06:15 am »
veritas any news of bavituximab hiv?

this study was not cron task to end months ago?
they should publish the research reports

Offline veritas

« Reply #472 on: October 22, 2009, 08:30:32 am »

brazilianman,

Still no info on the HIV/HepC trial  They are being very quiet about the viral results in all indications. DOD seems to be in control  as far as testing goes for other viral indications and CHAVI is carrying the ball on the HIV side. However, there is more news on cancer:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Peregrine-drug-prompts-apf-2411616754.html?x=0&.v=1

Time will tell. ( they are being too quiet)

v

Offline veritas

« Reply #473 on: October 23, 2009, 05:44:16 am »

A lot of information coming out of Paris. Here's a sample:

P05-04

Neutralizing antibodies induced by immunization with liposomal gp41 peptide simultaneously bind both the 2F5 or 4E10 epitope and lipid epitopes

GR Matyas1, L Wieczorek2, Z Beck2, C Ochsenbauer-Jambor3, JC Kappes4, NL Michael1, VR Polonis1, and CR Alving1

1Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Rockville, Maryland, USA; 2Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine, Rockville, Maryland, USA; 3University of Alabama at Birmingham, Brimingham, Alabama, USA; 4University of Alabama at Birmingham/Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Birmingham, Alabama, USA

Background: The purpose of this study was to produce peptide- and-lipid-induced murine monoclonal antibodies (mAbs) that replicate the characteristics of the 2F5 and/or 4E10 human antibodies for binding both to the membrane proximal external region (MPER) of gp41 and the adjacent lipid bilayer for neutralizing HIV-1 infection of CD4+ lymphocytes.

Methods: Liposomes containing both a synthetic MPER peptide (662-LELDKWASLWNWFDITNWLWYIK-684) as a peptide antigen, phosphatidylinositol-4-phosphate (PIP) as a lipid antigen, and monophosphoryl lipid A as a potent adjuvant were used as a formulation to immunize mice. MAbs were then produced and tested for binding to MPER, gp41, and PIP and for the ability to neutralize a replication-competent molecular clone of HIV-1 encoding a primary envelope protein and Renilla luciferase as reporter in human peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMC).

Results: Multispecific IgM MAbs were produced that bound PIP and that simultaneously bound to either the core MPER site of 2F5 or that overlapped with the 4E10 site. The mAbs also bound to negatively charged phospholipids, including cardiolipin, and lipid A. They had lipid binding specificities similar to those observed for 4E10 (Matyas et al., BBA 2009; 1788:660-5). In contrast to 4E10, these murine mAbs bound weakly to cholesterol and not to galactosyl ceramide. While these murine mAbs neutralized HIV-1 less well than 2F5 IgG, they inhibited more efficiently than the IgM isotype of 2F5.

Conclusion: This study employed widely used, clinically acceptable, safe, generic antigen-adjuvant constituents that potentially could be used for human immunization. Using liposomes containing MPER peptide and PIP as antigens and lipid A as an adjuvant for immunization, multispecific antibodies that simultaneously bind gp41 MPER and adjacent lipid and neutralize HIV-1 infection in a PBMC assay were induced. This is the first time that both the peptide and lipid binding specificities of 2F5 (or 4E10) have been induced experimentally in a neutralizing antibody

It's Happening !

v

Offline J220

« Reply #474 on: October 23, 2009, 12:08:37 pm »
For those of you like myself who own Peregrine stock: they just had a reverse stock split (1:5), apparently they are trying to keep their stock value up to meet NASDAQ requirments and also to attract more investors:

http://peregrineinc.com/media/siteFiles/FAQs-Reverse-Stock-Split.pdf (PDF file).

So if you saw the PPHM stock suddenly jump over 500%, no, don't go celebrating just yet, it corresponds to the split...although the stock price is up, each investor has less number of stocks, making the equity value the same...lol. Maybe soon we can celebrate, but not just yet....!

P.S. ticker has the "D" suffix for the next 20 days or so, then it will revert back to PPHM....standard protocol for reverse splits.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 05:50:15 pm by J220 »
"Hope is my philosophy

Offline esper

« Reply #475 on: October 23, 2009, 10:08:54 pm »
I just spent the last 2 days reading this entire thread. Veritas, Inchlingblue and many others thanks for your time and effort to put the detailed links, analysis, and step-by-step progression of this research here. I'm newly diagnosed and this has given me a great education (lots of the tech details of course I don't fully understand, but I'm working on it). Of course, this is one of many avenues being explored by various reseachers, but its pretty exciting. All of this take time to research, tests, trials, setbacks, adjustments, etc....but its pretty exciting all the same. Thanks for this. Esper
tested positive June 26, 2009
06/26/2009-CD4 428: VL 56,200: 34.1%
09/28/2009-CD4 388: VL 105,000: 31.9%
11/16/2009-CD4 330: VL 242,000: 23.4%
12/11/09 started stocrin (sustiva) & truvada
02/02/2010-CD4 588: VL 204: 31.6%
04/27/2010-CD4 620; VL 154; 38.5%
08/25/2010-CD4 504; VL undet; 39.2%
11/16/2010-CD4 499: VL undet: 44.6%
03/01/2011-CD4 534: VL undet: 33.2%
06/01/2011-CD4 709: VL undet: 45.6%
12/11/2011-CD4 537: VL undet: 41.5%
06/10/2012-CD4 597: VL undet: 42.8%
Switched to Atripla 12/2012.
Latest 09/2015-CD4 816: VL undet: 49.2%

Offline veritas

« Reply #476 on: November 04, 2009, 05:50:01 pm »

Anti-ps takes another step !

http://ir.peregrineinc.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=421983

It's still happening !

v

Offline xman

« Reply #477 on: November 04, 2009, 07:51:29 pm »
The hcv/hiv trials was delayed for another year. Phase I will not present any results until September 2010. Is there any reason for this slow progress?

Offline veritas

« Reply #478 on: November 05, 2009, 04:58:41 am »

xman,

The bulk of the research on anti-ps viral is being done by CHAVI and the Dept of Defense. Peregrine has limited funds themselves and are pushing the anti-cancer. The research being done by CHAVI and DOD is research that is very valuable to the anti-ps anti-viral platform and the researchers doing the work are the top infectious disease scientists in the country and the world. It will take time.

v

Offline xman

« Reply #479 on: November 05, 2009, 03:54:13 pm »
It will take time.

v

Yes it will take time. I was reading the article about experts that warn AIDS will remain a global crisis in 2031 unless there is a more comprehensive response. It's quite bizzarre that scientists still ask for time after 3 decades. They aren't aware of the consequences if we don't move on quickly.

Read here:
http://www.poz.com/articles/aids_global_crisis_2031_1_17515.shtml

Offline veritas

« Reply #480 on: November 06, 2009, 05:00:31 am »

xman,

It's true, the costs are not sustainable over the long term for this disease.  Thus, all the new research with respect to the global groups that are working on the problem like CHAVI with anti-ps and  the other research that can be found here on the research forum. Hopefully ,there will be a breakthrough.

v

Offline J220

« Reply #481 on: November 06, 2009, 10:52:18 am »
It's quite bizzarre that scientists still ask for time after 3 decades. They aren't aware of the consequences if we don't move on quickly.

Read here:
http://www.poz.com/articles/aids_global_crisis_2031_1_17515.shtml

I beg to differ, I don't think anyone is "asking" for time. It just takes time to develop these things. And I doubt any scientist or medical researcher is not aware of the magnitude of not only the present crisis but how much worse it will get if this not defeated.

But I think news such as this are necessary to keep this in the public's eye.

Getting back to anti-ps (or derivatives), Veritas did you read about this?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/11/091105165527.htm

Inchblue also posted on it here:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=29768.0

Seems like Peregrine has some competition! I will have to keep an eye on that one too. It does seem like validation of the methology, though (flag pathogen and let body kill it, as opposed to directly eliciting an antibody/ cellular response).

Cheers, J.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 01:23:05 pm by J220 »
"Hope is my philosophy

Offline veritas

« Reply #482 on: November 06, 2009, 02:06:22 pm »

Ray,

I did read that link , but thanks for posting it here. The therapy is quite similar to anti-ps in it's mechanism of action and although I have not researched it yet, I bet the proteins being targeted are gp41 and gp120. I believe these are constant on the virus. I welcome any avenue that has the potential to lead to a breakthrough. Good one to watch. Any therapy that is going to work must get around the stealthy aspect of the virus with respect to the immune system. Let's hope one of these is it !

v

Offline veritas

« Reply #483 on: November 10, 2009, 09:11:03 am »

Duke has anti-lipid vaccine in development:

http://www.dukehealth.org/HealthLibrary/News/scientists_explain_binding_action_of_two_key_hiv_antibodies_could_lead_to_new_vaccine_design

"The research team is already working on designing a vaccine that incorporates a lipid component.  “The demonstration of the role of virion lipid reactivity in the overall function of these neutralizing antibodies has provided key insights into what the immune system may need to see to make such antibodies”, says co-author and Vaccine Institute Director Barton Haynes. “New vaccine designs trials based on these observations are now ongoing in animals.” 

How will these antibodies attach to the virus ?:

"The 2F5 and 4E10 antibodies have unusually long, loopy protein segments that are hydrophobic, meaning that they are attracted to lipids.  The researchers found that successful docking of the antibody to the HIV outer coat membrane region required antibody attachment to HIV’s membrane, which contains lipid. "

It's Happening !

Offline veritas

« Reply #484 on: November 10, 2009, 12:42:41 pm »

Anti-ps and Brain cancer:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/New-Study-in-Clinical-Cancer-prnews-1276474526.html?x=0&.v=1

" Treatment in Combination with Radiation Doubled Survival Time and Produced Long-Term Cures in Lethal Brain Cancer Model -
- Confirms PS-Targeting Antibodies Have a Dual Mechanism of Action that Both Destroys Tumor Blood Vessels and Initiates a Robust Immune Response to the Tumor -
- New Studies Demonstrate Therapeutic Potential of Bavituximab in Brain Cancer In Addition to Ongoing Phase II Trials in Advanced Breast and Lung Cancers -"

It's Happening in Brain Cancer Too !

v

Offline veritas

« Reply #485 on: November 18, 2009, 09:44:43 am »

Another step forward for anti-ps/ anti-viral:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Peregrine-Pharmaceuticals-prnews-3864345621.html?x=0&.v=1

It's happening !

v

Offline veritas

« Reply #486 on: November 22, 2009, 09:33:15 am »

Duke University using results from Thai vaccine trial in quest for their vaccine:

"The latest IAVI Report details the modest protection achieved in the Thai RV144 trial. The Report also discusses the subsequent research that scientists will be performing to mine as much as possible from the available samples. In short, in the words of the report, “The Search [for correlates of immune protection] Is On”.

The scientist tasked with heading the steering committee of the overall search is Dr. Bart Haynes of Duke University. Besides helping direct the effort, Haynes’ particular project will involve the investigation of protection provided by antibodies, and not just directly neutralizing antibodies"

http://www.iavireport.org/archives/2009/Pages/IAVI-Report-13(5)-raft-of-results.aspx

v

Offline veritas

« Reply #487 on: November 23, 2009, 08:57:47 am »
The world collaborates on anti-ps. 5 collaborators are working on HIV. The list of scientific , medical and anti-viral advisors reads like a who's who of the medical research world.

http://www.peregrineinc.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=29

The above link shows the addition of Dr. Bruce Chabner----- Clinical director of Mass. General cancer center, Chief of Hematology and Oncology at Mass.General and a Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School. It doesn't get any better than this!

It's Happening !!!!!

v
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 09:02:46 am by veritas »

Offline veritas

« Reply #488 on: November 25, 2009, 08:41:31 am »

Offline veritas

« Reply #489 on: December 20, 2009, 10:23:27 am »

An in-depth report to the Global HIV/AIDS Vaccine Enterprise:  CHAVI

https://chavi.org/wysiwyg/downloads/Fall_Report_Enterprise_Report_(web).pdf

This report brings the global community up to date concerning the research for an HIV vaccine. The report is extensive.

For those of you who are interested in following the research closely concerning an HIV/AIDS vaccine, this extensive report focuses on what the global community is doing and how information is being shared throughout the world to reach it's goal.

A long read!

But it's Happening !

v

Offline veritas

« Reply #490 on: January 05, 2010, 03:10:13 pm »

Latest PS research findings ------  for both cancer and viral disease:

http://www.mdpi.com/1420-3049/14/12/4892/pdf

5.2. Annexin A5 in infections
It has been shown that many viruses can induce both apoptosis and PS exposure in the infected
cells. PS can also be found in the outer membrane of enveloped retrovirus [136]. We studied the
influence of AnxA5 on chronic macrophage infection with HIV-1, known to expose PS on its surface.
We found that infectivity in human macrophages of HIV-1 was significantly reduced in the presence
of AnxA5 [131]. Zandbergen and colleagues explored the role of PS during Leishmania disease and
discovered that virulent inoculums of Leishmania promastigotes contained a high ratio of PS exposing
apoptotic parasites. However, after apoptotic parasites depletion from the virulent inoculum,
Leishmania did not survive in phagocytes in vitro losing their disease inductor capacity in vivo [107].
In summary, AnxA5-based therapy strategies may be also useful to improve immune reactions against
various infectious agents which use the PS exposure as a tool to improve their survival by fooling the
immune system as well as against apoptotic cancer cells (Figure 4).

Long read !

v

Offline veritas

« Reply #491 on: January 21, 2010, 08:46:31 am »

Targeted therapeutics for infectious disease up-dated by Perigrine Pharmaceuticals:

http://www.peregrineinc.com/images/stories/media/siteFiles/Bavituximab%20Anti-Viral%20Fact%20Sheet%20Jan%202010.pdf

Not fantasy, it's still happening !

v

Offline veritas

« Reply #492 on: January 21, 2010, 09:13:24 am »

Let's not forget Cancer:

http://www.peregrineinc.com/images/stories/media/siteFiles/Bavituximab%20Anti-Cancer%20Fact%20Sheet%20Jan%202010.pdf

They are being very aggressive with the cancer push AND It's Happening!

v

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #493 on: January 21, 2010, 09:14:54 am »
Hey Veritas,

You're familiar with confirmation bias, yes?

MtD

Offline veritas

« Reply #494 on: January 21, 2010, 09:47:11 am »

MTD,

I'm fully aware of the term ---- confirmation bias.

I'm simply reporting the progress of a new paradigm ----- anti-ps therapy ----- as it runs through it's stages of development.

Are you familiar with the moa of this new paradigm? How it doesn't attack the virus directly, but attaches to the virus uncloaking it's ability to hide from the immune system. This represents a unigue mechanism that has been embraced by the CHAVI group in developing a cure and a vaccine. Dr. Philip Thorpe's lab has been made a part of CHAVI. ( Dr. Thorpe is the inventor ).

Peer reviews have all been positive to date and the clinical trials thus far have shown top=line safety data as well as some efficacy in both cancer and viral applications.

Follow the research, I believe you will find it intriguing !

v

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #495 on: January 21, 2010, 10:02:30 am »
Honey, It's great that you find all these links and stuff but has it ever occurred to you that you only see cures? Uncritically and without reservation?

This represents a unigue mechanism that has been embraced by the CHAVI group in developing a cure and a vaccine. Dr. Philip Thorpe's lab has been made a part of CHAVI. ( Dr. Thorpe is the inventor ).

Dr Thorpe eh? Given that you're familiar with confirmation bias, perhaps you're also familiar with this term: argumentum ad verecundiam.

MtD

Offline veritas

« Reply #496 on: January 21, 2010, 11:35:33 am »

MTD,

I'm fully aware that the fact the potential therapy has been embraced by the CHAVI group , doesn't automatically mean it is going to be succesful. Dr. Thorpe's forte is in research with a bent for oncology.
He noticed that viruses  also display PS on their outer coat thus  sparking the anti-viral work. This mechcanism was picked up by the CHAVI group for study in the HIV arena.
This happens to be a branch of hiv research that I find intriguing ,since, as stated before, it attacks a non-mutatable portion of the virus.
Cure? possibly. Vaccine? hopefully. Guarantees? NONE.

a propinquus mens est amo a propinquus libri a congeries .

v

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #497 on: January 28, 2010, 06:19:04 am »
Veritas,

Previously in this thread I spoke to you harshly. I regret that. I was high handed and arrogant, and I apologise to you. You're valued contributor here and you deserve better treatment than I handed you.

AIDSmeds has a well deserved reputation for excellence in HIV/AIDS education, treatment and testing information, not to mention community support.

It's a shame the Research forum lets AM down on that count.

I have to say my view of the AM Research forum is less charitable and I conflated my dim view of this sub-forum with your good faith contributions.

I hope you might allow Matty the Damned the benefit of the doubt on this occasion. :)

MtD

Offline veritas

« Reply #498 on: January 28, 2010, 02:23:42 pm »
Matty,

I agree with respect to the reputation of Aidsmeds. The good work done here has helped many overcome the fears of being  afflicted with HIV as well as providing excellent information to discuss with their IDs. Many people read these forums looking for information on topics that can certainly be  difficult to live with. More often, than not, they find that information.

With respect to the Research Forum, I only agree to a certain extent. This forum is quite different from others in that, here, we are dealing with theoreticals and potentials.  Personal opinion doesn't mean much here unless it can be backed -up with appropriate reference. It takes a lot of searching and dot connecting to reach that goal and not everyone is willing or able to do the necessary research. However, what this forum does provide is proof that HIV is being researched by some of the greatest minds in medicine and this alone is enough to be hopeful. We're not  forgotten. Sure, I'd like to see more in-depth research on some topics as to who, what, where, when, why, whither and whatfor but, again, that can be difficult.
Let's not cut this forum short.

As for your remarks to me, I kinda like arrogant self confident guys. I think I'll check out Quantus flights to Perth (since I hear, Perth is similar to Newport, RI , a resort town I like to visit). Hope your not in Sydney.

v

« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 04:01:51 pm by veritas »

Offline veritas

« Reply #499 on: January 28, 2010, 02:50:40 pm »

The Keystone Symposia -- Look at who's talking on Monday, March 21. Is it CHAVI? Yep.

http://www.keystonesymposia.org/meetings/ViewMeetings.cfm?MeetingID=1051

It's Happening!

v

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.