Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:23:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 403
Total: 404

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Fear of Mexico  (Read 7909 times)

Offline bosco

Fear of Mexico
« on: February 14, 2008, 04:28:41 pm »
Ok, I admit that my fear of going to Mexico is irrational. Anyone on the forum been their before? Can you tell my anything that might calm my fears? I'd love to go to AMG but might end up on the cruise if I can't come to grips with going to Mexico.

NOTE: Before you start thinking this has something to do with fear of travel, add this to the mix. I lived in the Republic of Ireland three years, in Puerto Rico for almost two years, I've been to Europe several times, as well as South America. I say this because I love to travel...
"Dog is my co-pilot".

Offline fearless

Re: Fear of Mexico
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 05:07:40 pm »
Can you be a little more specific about what you actually fear?

I spent 4 weeks in Mexico in 2004 and could not recommend it more highly. It was fantastic. Wonderful people, and great food. I would say, worry about nothing. Take the usual precautions, but worry about nothing.
I had a vl of about 750,000, cd4's of about 450 and no meds. Upon my return, I was so relaxed and stress free, that I had an undetectable vl and added about 100 cd4's.

Steve
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 05:10:58 pm »
Bosco, honestly sweetie, if I can live in Honduras for 9wks with a newborn and my dreaded INLAWS...you can make it in Mexico. 

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline bosco

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 06:22:09 pm »
Can you be a little more specific about what you actually fear?

I spent 4 weeks in Mexico in 2004 and could not recommend it more highly. It was fantastic. Wonderful people, and great food. I would say, worry about nothing. Take the usual precautions, but worry about nothing.
I had a vl of about 750,000, cd4's of about 450 and no meds. Upon my return, I was so relaxed and stress free, that I had an undetectable vl and added about 100 cd4's.

Steve

I'm not even sure I can verbalize it...remember I did say it was irrational. But it doesn't have anything to do with meds, since I'm not currently on any for HIV.
"Dog is my co-pilot".

Offline allanq

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 06:58:32 pm »
Here in the U.S. we get a lot of negative impressions of Mexico. Mexicans are so undesirable that we're even building a wall along the border to keep them out! (Has anyone heard of a single terrorist that has slipped across the Mexican border? I guess terrorists wouldn't ever come through Canada.)

Many Americans think of Mexico as a poor, corrupt, and dangerous country with bad sanitation and food that will make you sick. Americans who have visited unappealing border towns like Tijuana or Juarez think that is what Mexico is really like.

I've visited Mexico several times--Mexico City, Puerto Vallarta, Oaxaca, and most recently three beautiful colonial cities northwest of Mexico City. (The cities were San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, and Querétaro.) I have never had any problems during any of my visits. I have always had a wonderful time. The people were courteous and friendly. The food was excellent. I never got sick. I never got robbed.

Mexico is a wonderful mix of native and Latin cultures. There are lots of attractions, and if you go, you'll have a great time! Get a guide book from the library or go on the internet and read up on Mexico and Mexico City, and maybe it will help you get over your fears.

Allan

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 12:20:01 am »
I'm very interested in going to the AMG 08 where ever it ends up being held...however I'd like to find someone from the forum to room with...since I wouldn't know anyone.

So what has changed since then...what is it you are scared Of?

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline mjmel

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 07:52:44 am »
There is crime in Mexico City and there is crime in New York City and there is crime in London and ....well, you get the picture here. It's going to be OK in Mexico City. We will move about in small groups or as a whole group anywhere we go--at least that's how it was in San Francisco last year. There are beaucoup touristy destinations and a country rich in history and culture to explore.
You can hook up with a roommie. As the dates near you'll see inquiries & posts in AM Gathering threads regarding pairing up.
It's your decision in the end, of course. You must be comfortable with whatever you do -- which is what you're determining by presenting this thread. (yes, I get that.  :D)
Tip: If you ask someone for directions in Mexico do confirm that with another opinion as the Mexican people are such a polite people and such an accommodating people, that they would rather guess than not be able to help you out. (Got that bit of insight out a guide book I'm reading. The author is a US citizen who moved to Mexico with his partner and has been living there for 10 years.)
Mike
(who has known one or two tasty hispanic men.  ;))
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 08:03:24 am by mjmel »

Offline mjmel

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 08:00:40 am »
oops. deleted a double post.

Offline bosco

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 04:17:21 pm »
So what has changed since then...what is it you are scared Of?

Hugs
Jan :-*

Not entirely sure, maybe being there and having some crazy medical problem...remember I did say its irrational.
"Dog is my co-pilot".

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 08:22:53 pm »
Bosco:

First off, if it's an emergency medical problem you're most afraid of, there is the American British Cowdray Hospital very near the center of the city. This place is fantastic. About nine months into living in Mexico City, i started experiencing terrible abdominal pains. To make a long story short, a friend took me to ABC, where I was diagnosed with appendicitis and had to undergo emergency surgery. My surgeon was schooled in Mexico and trained in New York -- he couldn't have been nicer and actually performed the surgery laproscopically. I received top-notch surgical -- and HIV -- care at the hospital.

As for Mexico City crime, as others have stressed, this is risk virtually everywhere these days. Common sense is pretty much all you need when traveling to, and within, Mexico City. While there are a few extra precautions -- always have your hotel or restaurant call a sitio taxi, and be sure to use the official airport taxis when arriving at Benito Juarez International -- basic tourist safety measures are all that's needed. Closer to the date of AMG, I'll be more than hapy to spell out things a bit more carefully.

Feel free to PM me with any specific questions or concerns you might have about Mexico City travel. It's a spectacular city.

Tim Horn
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 10:05:54 pm by Tim Horn »

Offline bosco

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 09:26:00 pm »
Thanks Tim! That was very nice of you.
"Dog is my co-pilot".

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.