Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:00:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 623
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 364
Total: 365

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Prezista, Truvada, Norvir- Weight gain?  (Read 16604 times)

Offline friendlybrawly23

• Terc999
Prezista, Truvada, Norvir- Weight gain?
« on: May 01, 2014, 02:38:42 pm »
I currently have been taking Prezista, Truvada, Norvir for 6 months and have been the only medication I've been taking since i was diagnosed positive 6 months ago. I gained a significant amount of weight. I weighed 160 when i started the meds and now im 200 in a span of 6 months. Has anyone else had similar weight gain with these medications? If so what did you do to lose the weight? Besides eating healthy because that is what I've been doing.
Terc999

Offline hivtalian

Re: Prezista, Truvada, Norvir- Weight gain?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 02:36:55 pm »
Hi hugo,
I take the same since 4 months + isentress.
Actually I noticed a small increase in my abdominal fat (I usually work out 4 times a week and eat very healthly) and I was kind of alarmed...
But since 1 month I've changed my workouts doing more cardio and now I gained 3 kg of lan mass and don't have that fat over my abs.
I think our drugs can slightly increase abdominal fat (in some people) but you can work on it with physical activity... that's my experience:)

Good luck !

PS have you noticed any change in your face? sometimes I feel like my cheek are thinner but maybe i'ts just an impression...afgter just 4 months everyone says it cant' be lipo.. (I really hope so because that's a big fear I have:/ )

Offline weasel

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 06:24:49 pm »

Hi Hugo , nice to meet you  :)

I've been HIV Poz  longer than you have been alive  :o

On a good note , I am on the same MEDS as you ,   I do not believe
       these MEDS cause weight gain .

Are you taking any thing for anxiety ?  I have found that to be a real
       issue to weight gain .   

I have to watch what I eat , I gain weight very easy , but in my case I
       consider it to my age  .

I would suggest becoming more active .   

I've read a few of your posts , I hope you are feeling more in control
      of your life .   HIV  is not the end of the world , forgive me for saying
      you could have a way worse health issue . I lost my older brother years
      ago from a brain tumor , when I am down and out , I have to remind myself
      I have lived a very long time with HIV and for the most part life is good .

be well ,   Carl
" Live and let Live "

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 04:10:26 pm »
i'm on prezista, norvir, Isentress and have the same type of weight gain happen to me as well.  I was 172 when I started and my weight went up to 205 like in 4 to 6 months.

When my doctor checked my cholesterol it was pretty high and told me I had to drop 10 or 15 pounds, so I've been doing the gym more often and watching what I eat.

My doctor also put me on a low dose of Adderall to try and help boost my energy levels throughout the day.  I've lost about 8 pounds past couple months.
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline DodgerDawg

• "Dude, It Could Be Worse"
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 01:22:11 pm »
Hi, I was diagnosed about the same time as you, and I am on the same meds as well ,  even starting at about the same weight as you. I started meds in hospital the end of January 2014, at a weight of 164. As of today, my weight is 195. However I'm 6'5" and that is an ideal weight for my height.  Checking your weight every day at the same time, and knowing what your BMI is, and where it should be, is a great help.

Take care, Kevin
January 2014 CD4 = 5      .03%  VL = 1,800,000
June      2014 CD4 = 206  .15%  VL =            48
January 2015 CD4  = 211  .13%  VL =            71
June      2015 CD4 = 155  .12%  VL =             UD
July       2015 CD4 = 148  .11%  VL =             48

Offline Mrmojorisin

• My Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 06:31:00 pm »
I have been on that regimen for just over 2 years now. When I started I was 130lbs..about 35lb below my normal weight. I was back to my normal weight within about 6 months and have maintained that weight..Other than regaining my normal appetite, I have not had any abnormal weight gain..
Started Meds On 5/1/2012 Norvair, Truvada, Prezista, and Bactrim

4/17/2012--CD4 83/ VL 353,000  7.0%
5/15/2012--CD4 218/ VL 4,970    14.1%
6/27/2012--CD4 146/ VL 420      6.1%
10/11/2012-CD4-223/ VL-62       9.5%
2/14/2013--CD4-215/ VL-119      13.6%
7/3/2013---CD4-256/ VL-UD       18.0%
10/18/2013 CD4-223/ VL-UD       22.2%
01/23/2014-CD4-381/VL-UD       25.3%--Dropped the Bactrim
05/01/2014 CD4-370/VL-UD       23.5%
01/08/2015 CD4-455/VL-UD       28.7%
06/18/2015 CD4-422/VL-UD       31.9%
01/07/2016 CD4-275/VL-UD       31.3%
02/10/2016 Switch meds to Tivicay and Truvada
04/25/2016 CD4-426/VL-UD        34.1%
07/14/2016 CD4-414/VL-UD        38.0%

"arrrrhhhhh ahhrrhhhhh aaaarrhhh"- Chewbacca

Offline salviati

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 09:01:31 am »
Hello you all,
I am on the same regimen and had the opposite symptoms. Never been so slim in my life, so different things happen to different bodies.

Offline salviati

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 07:32:35 pm »
I take Truvada, Atazanavir, Norvir, don't work out right now and never been in better shape. These meds may have long term side effects but as per now all they do to me is good, I feel good all the time and my weight is consistent. Of course I watch what I eat.

Offline zach

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 09:57:56 pm »
i am on the OP combo, i have been for about four months now. my starting weight was 135lb my normal weight is 160, but haven't seen that in a couple years. since starting meds my weight has not moved up or down

Offline wolfter

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 08:44:06 am »
I switched out of my combo and added Prezista and Norvir along with my Truvada and Intelence.  During that period, I lost more weight.  It had nothing to do with the meds but rather other factors that were happening during that time.

One must consider a host of factors before automatically blaming the meds.  I'll limit my responses as to not usurp the thread but most of the time, weight gain/loss is simply a matter of calories consumed v's calories spent. 

I spend a quite a bit of time during my doctor's appointments discussing nutrition and weight issues.  He had me consult with a nutritionist a while back that worked a little bit.  Perhaps your doctor needs to address such a radical weight change.

Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Since1993

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 02:30:02 am »
Within six months of starting my regimen of Prezista, Norvir and Epzicom, I gained back 30 of the pounds I had lost.  I think its difficult to determine if your increase in appetite is caused from improved overall health status or the medications itself. 

When I was ill and lost weight, I developed body image issues because I felt skeletal and unhealthy.  I would avoid looking in the mirror nude because I felt like I had the body appearance of a 70 year old man (I'm in my 40's).  Now that I've recovered some of the weight, I'm beginning to feel overweight.

I personally don't mind carry around a few extra pounds and being healthy because I now have the ability to exercise and can make adjustments to keep my BMI closer to normal.

Norvir has gastrointestinal side effects which include diarrhea, which you think would detract from weight gain. 

Offline poztoo

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, 01:01:18 pm »
take Isentress, Intellence, Prezista, Norvir AND travuda. T's 1200, VL ND. But gained 20 unwanted pounds. recently started new diet, and workout plan. Hope it works

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, 02:18:58 pm »
take Isentress, Intellence, Prezista, Norvir AND travuda. T's 1200, VL ND. But gained 20 unwanted pounds. recently started new diet, and workout plan. Hope it works
Hey welcome back! How r u....

On another matter, that sure is a long list of many drugs.   Do you take all that now everyday? Why, may I ask? Multiple resistances???
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Sean Castleton

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 12:28:31 pm »
I currently have been taking Prezista, Truvada, Norvir for 6 months and have been the only medication I've been taking since i was diagnosed positive 6 months ago. I gained a significant amount of weight. I weighed 160 when i started the meds and now im 200 in a span of 6 months. Has anyone else had similar weight gain with these medications? If so what did you do to lose the weight? Besides eating healthy because that is what I've been doing.

Hi Hubro,

As aforementioned, I had been working out with weights for quite some time before taking Truvada and have a high metabolism and never had a problem with weight gain, even at the age of 43. After taking Truvada for several years, I began getting a fat gut and "man boobs". I asked my doctor to change my meds regimen, but they said that it would be best to remain on my present regime and refused to change it.  I am not an extremely vain person, but I hated seeing all of those years of weight training go down the tubes. And would I take my shirt off at the beach, let alone go to a beach again? So I can relate to your concern.

What did help me a liitle, was cutting down on my intake of carbs and stepping up the cardio. Hope this helps.

Sincerely, Sean.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 12:31:54 pm by Sean Castleton »

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2014, 03:55:46 pm »

What did help me a liitle, was cutting down on my intake of carbs and stepping up the cardio. Hope this helps.

Sincerely, Sean.

In the other thread you seem to say you reclaimed your pre-treatment body in a few weeks by stopping tri-therapy.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline owt

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2016, 08:08:14 pm »
God, now i'm sure i'm not mad, i thought i was the only person in the world that suffer this.

Last year i was on Truvada/Reyataz/Norvir in just 4 months i gained 22 pounds i told to my doctor about this also told her my appetite increased a lot! and she told me that the medication was not the reason. i had a very hard depression problem and my appearance it's very important for me, i feel very bad this way i don't want to be fat. i know this sound a little selfish but if there's people in the world with a worst condition doesn't mean that i will be ok being fat.

i also have a worst condition Kaposi Sarcoma, and liver problems with Atazanavir for that reason i dropped the meds for a month, in that month i lost 11 pounds coincidence?

i think this is a side effects of the Protease Inhibitors, could someone tell us something about this?

Now i'm on Truvada/ Prezista/ Norvir ... i weight 175...20 pounds more that the last year my belly is so big and my legs and arms very thin.. so? i don't know what to do.

i'm not a very active person but since i started to gain weight i try to take healthy food 1 hour of cardio daily and i can't loss  any weight it is very frustrating. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 08:10:15 pm by owt »

Offline floridartist

• Time stands still, Tomorrow is already here & gone
    • Oil paintings of Florida
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2016, 09:43:28 pm »
Im a Norvir, Truvada and Reyataze with weight loss, I wouldn't mind a hospital stay for awhile in which they stuck an IV in each arm, filter my blood, then pump some good fresh blood in me with a bunch of healthy nutrients, and toss in about 10 extra pounds while they are at it, Is this possible ?   
I don't know what to paint  🎨

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.