Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:55:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 536
Total: 537

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Abnormal Pap Test  (Read 9497 times)

Offline Jena

• To God Be The Glory!
Abnormal Pap Test
« on: August 05, 2006, 05:25:48 pm »
My GYN doctor is my own personal guardian angel.  Shes the one that insisited I be tested when no one else could figure out what was wrong with me last year. When she got the results she drove to my house and sat on my porch and  cried with me as she told me the results. She insisted that I have GYN check ups every six months too. I had a normal pap in March, I went in for another test 2 weeks ago, and  guess what? When I came home from work yesterday, there she was, sitting in the rocking chair on the front porch waiting for me. I knew something was up as I walked through the gate, but she smiled and told me not to get upset. She said the test showed abnormal cells but they were " low grade" and probably caused by an infection. She said with a healthy woman she would just watch  things and have the woman come back for a repeat in a few months, but because its me, shes going to do a biopsy to make 100% sure. She said even if it turns out to be cervical cancer at this early stage it is 100% treatable.
 I love this woman as if she were my sister and I trust her completely so I am not too concerned. They are doing the biopsy on Wednesday next week.
 I also see my ID doc next Tuesday, the results from my last blood test was disapointing, my CD4 went from 309 to 206 and my VL from 55,500 to 68,500. ( My orginal CD4 was 90 and my VL was 750,000 , last year) I've been on meds for 10 months almost and although the numbers have improved dramatically they  should be better than they are. The ID doc is not as aggressive as I'd like her to be, taking a " lets give it another  3 months and then see" attitude. Easy for her to say, its not her life! So anyway, Joseph is going to the ID clinic at the University of  Cincinnati, which is reportedly one of the best, cutting edge clinics in the country, so I have made an appointment there also, although I can't get in until Nov. But thats ok, it will give me a chance to see my current doctor again and let her know what I'm planning.
Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers!
Jena

Offline Christine

Re: Abnormal Pap Test
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 06:19:27 pm »
Hi Jena,
I have had abnormal paps also. The doctor did the same thing as yours- took a biopsy, which comes back as dysplasia, then sees me again in 3-6 months. This has been ongoing for about 5 years.

I have also had some discolored areas around my vulva, and the same thing was done- biopsy and then another appointment in a few months.

Cervical cancer is one of the slowest growing cancers, so if something were to progress, as long as you continue to see your gyn on a regular basis, it should be okay. And your gyn doctor sounds great!

Hope everything is going well for you and Joseph.
Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 06:38:34 pm »
Hi Jena

I know how upsetting this news must be for you, but try not to stress too much about it at this stage.

Abnormal Pap smear results can often be explained by an infection or an inflammation, like yeast infections, herpes, trichomonas, also if you are sexual active or use vaginal preparations this will or can show some abnormalities in the cells.

Let us know how you get on after your biopsy on Wednesday...and keep us updated on your visit to your ID Doctor.

Thinking of you.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 06:48:35 pm »
Hello Jena, it is Eldon. You are in my thoughts and prayers and I hope everything works out well for you. Keep us posted.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 10:18:37 pm »
Jena: I will place you and your health in the Light of a group gathering tomorrow evening. Em

Offline Trish

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 10:28:35 pm »
Hi Jena,

I've missed you.

Sorry to hear about the abnormal Pap.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's nothing more than just an infection or inflammation as Jan has stated.

Be sure to keep us updated, okay?

All my love to you...

Trish :-*

PS, It's good to know that things are working out for you & Joseph.  All the best to both of you.  I'm very happy for you honey. :) ;D
"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is buit."  Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 10:35:05 pm »
Hi Jena

I understand your concern, and I am keeping you in my prayers and sending you lots of love and positive energy.

Let us know what you find out, and take care of yourself!

Love & hugs,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 11:57:11 pm »
Hello, sorry to hear about your abnormal pap test. Even if it is dysplasia, it can be easily treated through cryotherapy or a cone removal. I hope it turns out to be just a infection. Wishing you the best of luck.   Cristy

Offline purpledragonfly

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2006, 01:17:55 am »
Hi Jena, I too have abnormal pap test, i have to see my gyn every 6 months also. I will keep you in my prayers. Please let us know what happens Wednesday.

Love Wendy

Offline Jena

• To God Be The Glory!
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2006, 12:16:56 pm »
Thanks everyone for your  kind words and  support. Again, as always , I have to say, I love you all and don't know what I'd do without you.
Love
Jena

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2006, 12:18:59 pm »
Hey Jena,
I know this is upsetting. I have learned women with HIV often have abnormal pap smears, although I don't know why this happens. You are doing exactly what you should - keeping close watch and doing follow-ups.

Please be vigilant with this, it is important.

I will be keeping you in my thoughts and sending positive energy your way.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline zephyr

• Zephyr L.T.N.P. Foundation, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2006, 01:17:48 pm »
Dear Jena...

Sweetheart, I'm with all the others in wanting to read updates on this as more information gets gathered. You have such inner strength, evidenced by each post you write, and we are holding you close to our hearts as you navigate through this episode.

I want to share with you that I, too, had an abnormal PAP in 1980. They eventually diagnosed me with Level 5 cervical cancer, which a cone biopsy confirmed. A procedure known as 'freezing' was done, and I have been cancer free since then.

I agree with you in not wanting to adopt a 'wait and see' attitude. This is nothing to fool around with, and although it is true the cancer may grow slowly, I went from a normal PAP to a Level 5 within one year. Odds would have it that it's presence in an HIV+ woman may exacerbate it's growth process, so I support your taking a more agressive stance.

Consider yourself <<<HUGGED>>> right now, honey.

Please keep us informed!!

With much love,

Zephyr :-*
"It is character that communicates most eloquently."

Offline Jena

• To God Be The Glory!
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2006, 04:49:16 pm »
Zephie, Honey...
 Thank you so much for sharing that information with me ( us) you give me faith and hope as usual.
 I love you Honey!
Jena

Offline Nadine

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2006, 08:35:28 pm »
Jena,

Please know that you are in my thoughts. I will, like everyone else, be waiting to hear the results of that biopsy.

Hang in there lovely lady!

Offline brandy

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2006, 01:38:21 pm »
I also had an abnormal pap smear two years ago turned out i had dysplesia, which in other words is a virus called HVP, HUMAN PAPILOMA VIRUS, which if not treated can lead to cervical cancer, woman who are hivt, are are said to be HIGH RISK.
I had outpatient surgery done and that took care care of it, i recently had a biopsy of the uterus, which was the most painful experience of my life, but that came back ok.
The best thing to do is do your paps on time, and follow the instructions of your doctor.
an abnormal pap does not necessarily mean cancer.
brandy

Offline brandy

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2006, 01:45:10 pm »
jenna,
i also forgot to mention that if you think your id doctor is not aggressive enough,  you have the choice to seek another doctor when it comes to your meds and viral loads and cd4 counts.
Because in hiv women the lower your cd4 and the higher your viral load, the higher the risk is for you, not trying to scare you, just trying to offer my advise.
you have the right to see a doctor that is sensitive and compassionate towards your needs.
I will be praying for you.
LOL
Brandy

Offline Jena

• To God Be The Glory!
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2006, 08:12:40 pm »
Thanks Brandy and Nadine, I appreciate your taking the time to  give me  support. With all the other crap going on with the  HIV meds and all  the abnormal pap scare got pushed aside a bit. I did go back and the doc was ready to do the biopsybut after he checked meout with the microscope he decided I didnt need it after all because he didnt see anything at all abnormal. I had a partial hysterectomy a long time ago and I have pap smears every six months now so I feel confident that I'm doing goot  with that part of me.  :D

BY THE WAY LADIES DO YOU KNOW THAT  THE AMA RECOMMENDS THAT HIV+ WOMEN GET PAP SMEARS EVERY SIX MONTHS!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE GET YOUR TESTS LADIES!!!!!

HUGS
 Jena

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2006, 09:04:03 pm »
Jena, All I can ofer is a warm hand to hold you by, a warm embrace to warm you by.  Me and Will have you in our prayers...  Its going to be ok...  Your light burns ever so brightly..

Love

Offline poobear

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2006, 11:43:53 pm »
Hi jenna, Just to let you know I have had abnormal Paps for about 5 years and than they started to be normal.  It was HPV (Human Papaloma Virus) wich is very common in HIV + and non HIV women.  Mine happened to lye dorminat which is common.  I know have normal Paps.  I do go for Pap every 6 months, and like you said is very important.  I am now dealing with cysts on my ovaries that I get checked every 6 weeks.  I wish you the best and you.  I also agree that if you feel your current ID doctor is not agressive enogh go to see someone else.  This is your life and you do have some control,  and what you don't have controll of, hand it over to God.  My best to you   Rachel

Offline bobik

• My worksite
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2006, 07:07:56 am »
Hi Jena,

I think it is very good that you go for a more aggressive approach of your treatment. I wish you lot of strength and I hope everything will be fine.

Big hug from Holland

Coen
Coen Honig at Facebook

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2006, 12:33:29 am »
BY THE WAY LADIES DO YOU KNOW THAT  THE AMA RECOMMENDS THAT HIV+ WOMEN GET PAP SMEARS EVERY SIX MONTHS!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE GET YOUR TESTS LADIES!!!!!

HUGS
 Jena

To add to Jena's advice. My ID doc, whom I hold in highest regard, told me that because I had a hysterectomy, I no longer needed to get PAP smears. I ran this by my PCP and her PA when it came time for my routine exam. They said definitively, that is not accurate. When I told them I heard there is a sort of "memory" to uterine tissues and even so in the peritoneal areas (which would relate to the ovaries) -- they concurred and said to continue on with PAP smears. Their recommendation for me is yearly--however, if the AMA has set the standard at every six months, and if you've not had a hysterectomy--I would follow their lead.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.