Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 04:03:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773454
  • Total Topics: 66366
  • Online Today: 304
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 280
Total: 280

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hello for the UK  (Read 10416 times)

Offline pipmonk100

Hello for the UK
« on: April 25, 2023, 06:28:14 am »
Hello,
I've not yet put a pic up, I will do soon.  I'm 62 and have been living with HIV since the mid 90's, actually its unclear when I was infected but that is when I tested positive. Been on meds now for some years and am generally okay.  At the moment having a period of lows as I'm a reflective kind of guy and miss my friends still.  But on good days I am a glass half full type, and love the friends I do have.  Anyway I'm due for my daily walk and thought I'd say hello now I'm registered here.  Will spend more time this evening having a look around the site and putting some details on my profile.  I hope to open up some chats .  Cheers, Philip

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Hello for the UK
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2023, 08:45:31 am »
Hi Philip,

Welcome to the forum, and sorry to hear you are feeling low at the moment.
I hope you have a good walk. Is it the same walk every day?

Best, Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Loa111

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2023, 10:50:42 am »
Hey Philip,

Welcome to the forum. We'll find this a great place to get support & indeed a great place to have a few chats around the topic. It has been a great help to over over the last 5 years.

Hope you enjoy your walk.  :) Nothing like a nice walk to clear ones heads. Had a nice one last night myself.

Offline pipmonk100

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2023, 02:57:28 pm »
Hello both,  thanks Jim.  The walk was good.  The spring emerald green helps lift my mood, the sunshine too.  Though, we've been having so much rain of late.  I take the same route, but can alternate - clockwise and anti-clockwise - I live dangerously!!! ;)

Cheers, Philip

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2023, 03:20:07 pm »
Glad the walk was good and helped

I take the same route, but can alternate - clockwise and anti-clockwise - I live dangerously!!! ;)

Cheers, Philip

👍 That's living on the edge alright. I bet you didn't put on sunscreen? Rebel

« Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 03:34:50 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2023, 04:33:44 pm »
Our monthly virtual forum members meeting is this Saturday if you are interested https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=76748.msg783558#new
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2023, 06:57:54 pm »
I'm 62 and have been living with HIV since the mid 90's.
woohoo! another one of us. I just turned 61 last month, and have been living with HIV since the mid 80s. Thanks to the volunteer work I did through the US's Ryan White Care program I've met a good handful of us from the 90s who are still kicking

At the moment having a period of lows as I'm a reflective kind of guy and miss my friends still.
Boy aren't we lucky to have made that cusp between no meds and HAART? I'm sure you have list of your friends and partners who have been taken from us.  :'( :'(

But on good days I am a glass half full type, and love the friends I do have.
I'm a glass full type of guy :D so my take on those we've lost isn't so much about how they are gone but how happy I am to have even known them at all. I lost two long term (10 yrs each) partners and even though it rips my heart to say this, if I could do it all over again, I would! If all I could have had of them was those 10 yrs, I'd take the 10 yrs knowing the end was coming. I feel the same way about the 12 cocker spaniels I raised through the last 4 decades.

The spring emerald green helps lift my mood, the sunshine too.  Though, we've been having so much rain of late.
I'm a summer kind of guy, so i agree with the green and sunshine, just throw in some clear
pool water and I'll be all set. Right now here in South Carolina, I keep trying to be happy at least pleasant about the rain. I mean I am thinking about all the seedlings I've got going for my garden and how by the end of May we're normally into drought conditions for the rest of Summer; but it's rain and rain ruins my pool time.

So how's your health doing with your dangerous life?!?!? :D And how are your meds? Are you doing some one a day pill or are you on some combo? BTW there's a Pre-HAART Long-Term Survivors Forum  here that you might be interested in, especially if you have some issue the rest of us might empathize with or know about.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline pipmonk100

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2023, 05:58:00 pm »
Hey Philip,

Welcome to the forum. We'll find this a great place to get support & indeed a great place to have a few chats around the topic. It has been a great help to over over the last 5 years.

Hope you enjoy your walk.  :) Nothing like a nice walk to clear ones heads. Had a nice one last night myself.

Hey Loa111, thanks for your welcome earlier.  As you see I'm new around here, well, for a few years I've dropped by as a guest to see what is happening. 

I notice you had a post last January? Feeling low, like me, sorry to hear that, how have you been since. 

I'm in a bit of an isolated place both geographically and socially.  Due to health issues I can't walk far which is a bummer,  I still get out every day but only short walks.  I've taken up yoga and that has helped lots. 

But the lows return pretty regularly and I feel like screaming.   

I hope to be around for the meet up on Saturday , bit nervous and may chicken out.  Never done anything like this before. 

Anyway, again, thanks for reaching out.  and all good vibes to you.

Cheers, Philip

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2023, 09:31:32 pm »
I hope to be around for the meet up on Saturday , bit nervous and may chicken out.  Never done anything like this before.
Ok, while I'm not certain if I'll make the call on Saturday (my mother-in-law is here from Arizona), you should try to make it. It's just a bunch of people (sometimes 2, sometimes 4, one time 6. In all about 8 or 9 people have been on the chats) chatting. We talk about the weather, where people live, what's going on in their lives. Sometimes we don't discuss HIV at all and sometimes we talk about a lot of HIV related stuff. It just kinda depends on the people on the video call and what they need/want to talk about.

When all is said and done, I think these meetings are a good thing as a little bit of peer support, even if the support is just a good time meeting new people and not all about HIV ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.