Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:34:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 538
Total: 538

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Test and Treat Program May Contribute to Drug Resistant HIV (LA Study)...  (Read 4304 times)

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
Excerpt:

"...Widespread use of anti-HIV drugs in Los Angeles County could reduce new AIDS cases by almost 40%, but would also double the number of cases in which the virus had developed a resistance to drug therapy, according to a USC and Rand Corp. study..."

Link:

http://www.latimes.com/health/boostershots/la-heb-hiv-test-and-treat-20130318,0,4164505.story
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
The article doesn't bother to explain how the resistance would happen.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline OneTampa

Clearly it makes sense to treat HIV.  I agree that it would have been helpful to explain with early treatment, how the virus may become drug resistant.
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Clearly it makes sense to treat HIV.  I agree that it would have been helpful to explain with early treatment, how the virus may become drug resistant.

I have a feeling it could very possibly be due to non-compliance in people who are very newly diagnosed and struggling to take it all in - and having to remember to take meds every day when they're feeling physically fine, but mentally all fucked up.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline OneTampa

I have a feeling it could very possibly be due to non-compliance in people who are very newly diagnosed and struggling to take it all in - and having to remember to take meds every day when they're feeling physically fine, but mentally all fucked up.

Ann, very good point.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
I also have to wonder if they're putting people on meds before they've had resistance testing done and had the result back. It sounds like they're putting people on meds the minute they've tested positive.

If what they're saying is true about so many of these people becoming multidrug resistant, then it may be that they were infected with a resistant strain to one drug, and when given that drug in a combo, they then more easily become resistant to the other two meds in the combo because one isn't working.

I suspect the first theory I came up with is probably the more prevalent reason though.

I wish news agencies would write an intelligent hiv-related article for once, instead of these "dumbed-down", generalised pieces of ... crap. Sorry, can't think of a better word for it at midnight. I should be in bed.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
exactly. dumbed down doo doo.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline aaware72

I also have to wonder if they're putting people on meds before they've had resistance testing done and had the result back. It sounds like they're putting people on meds the minute they've tested positive.

If what they're saying is true about so many of these people becoming multidrug resistant, then it may be that they were infected with a resistant strain to one drug, and when given that drug in a combo, they then more easily become resistant to the other two meds in the combo because one isn't working.

I suspect the first theory I came up with is probably the more prevalent reason though.

I wish news agencies would write an intelligent hiv-related article for once, instead of these "dumbed-down", generalised pieces of ... crap. Sorry, can't think of a better word for it at midnight. I should be in bed.

Hi Ann,

I was started on Complera before my resistance test results were back.  My first CD4 count was 230 and it was recommended by my doctor to start medication right away and not wait for those results. 

My partner who also tested positive had CD4 count of 660.  It was recommended for him to start medication right a way also, however they wanted to wait on the resistance test to avoid this issue. 

The author of the article may be pulling this information from here:

Abstract

Background:

There is evidence to suggest that antiretroviral therapy (ART) and HIV testing reduce the probability of transmission of HIV. This has led health officials across the US to take steps towards a test-and-treat policy. However, the extent of the benefits generated by test-and-treat is debatable, and there are concerns, such as increased multi-drug resistance (MDR), that remain unaddressed.

Methods:

We developed a deterministic epidemiological model to simulate the HIV/AIDS epidemic for men who have sex with men (MSM) in Los Angeles County (LAC). We calibrated the model to match the HIV surveillance data from LAC across a ten-year period, starting in 2000. We then modified our model to simulate the test-and-treat policy and compared epidemiological outcomes under the test-and-treat scenario to the status quo scenario over the years 2012-2023. Outcome measures included new infections, deaths, new AIDS cases, and MDR.

Results: 

Relative to the status quo, the test-and-treat model resulted in a 34% reduction in new infections, 19% reduction in deaths, and 39% reduction in new AIDS cases by 2023. However, these results are counterbalanced by a near doubling of the prevalence of MDR (9.06% compared to 4.79%) in 2023. We also found that the effects of increasing testing and treatment were not complimentary.

Conclusions: 

Although test-and-treat generates substantial benefits it will not eliminate the epidemic for MSMs in LAC. Moreover, these benefits are counterbalanced by large increases in MDR."

http://cid.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2013/03/05/cid.cit158.short

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 09:57:14 pm by aaware72 »
"Yes, knowledge is power. Self-knowledge brings mastery of one's body."

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.