Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:36:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 351
Total: 352

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: New test results & pregnancy planning  (Read 6220 times)

Offline mara_99

New test results & pregnancy planning
« on: February 08, 2012, 03:00:45 pm »
Hi guys,

Just wanted to let you know that I started on Kaletra and Combivir, and my last results are: VL was 29 in November - that is after 4 months of ARV (the last one I had had before starting ARV was 300.000)! I would have thought that 29 is untetectable, but my doctor told me that it would have been best if it was below 20 (they used a more sensitive test). What do you think about my results? Do you think it would be safe to start trying for a baby now? Otherwise I am in perfect health, my CD 4 was 330 in November. I have no side effects from the meds, and I had already started to take Folic Acid and Iron. What suplements have you used during pregnancy?

Kisses,
Maria

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: New test results & pregnancy planning
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 09:02:48 am »
Hi Maria. Did you ask your doctor about starting now?

Personally, I can't see why you shouldn't. You'll be undetectable long before the baby is born and that's what's important. Some women do not start ARVs until later on in their pregnancy and it all turns our fine with the baby being negative.

The only exception would be if you are trying to conceive naturally with a negative partner. In this case, it is recommended that you are undetectable for at least six months before not using condoms. If I were you (and my partner is negative), I'd start counting now as 29 is undetectable on many tests still in use. I would have started counting any time after my VL was under 200. That's just me though, you'll have to decide for yourself how precise you want to get with the VL.

If the partner you are having a baby with is also hiv positive, then you don't need to worry about being undetectable for six months before not using condoms. That's only if he's negative.

When I was pregnant with my daughter 25 years ago (good lord - 25 years ago - seems like yesterday and ancient history all at the same time!), they didn't yet know about the importance of folic acid, so the only supplements I was on was extra iron prescribed by my doctor plus a prenatal multi-vitamin that my doctor recommended. I would imagine there was folic acid in that, but this is before they were stressing its importance in pregnancy.

Eating a balanced diet with plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, and fresh, lean protein is more important than supplements anyway, as the vitamins and minerals in such foods are more readily absorbed and used by the body than supplements. Stay away from heavily processed foods as much as possible and concentrate on fresh (or fresh-frozen in the case of veggies) food.

Good luck with the baby-making and don't forget to have fun while you're doing it! ;)

Hugs,
Ann
xxx
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mara_99

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 01:58:53 pm »
Hi Ann,
thank you very much for the advice;) what do you think about my Arv combination? I know it is a recommended one, but I do not understand why I was not given a category B drug (like for ex viramune) instead of cat C Kaletra. What do u think about this?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 09:32:50 am »
Maria, Kaletra is preferred over Viramune because we have more experience with Kaletra use in pregnant women than we do Viramune. It is very rare - practically unheard of - for the drugs in your combination to have any adverse effects on the baby.

You must remember that animal studies are not always a good indication of what will happen in humans. While animal drug studies can be somewhat useful, we only really know what's going to happen in humans when we use the drug in humans.

Please rest assured that the combo you're on is the most widely used combo in pregnancy and the mothers and babies do just fine.

You should also speak to your doctor about this, if only to get his or her take on the matter.

I'm wondering if the man you are starting a family with is hiv poz or hiv neg? I'm only asking due to the issue of you being undetectable and for how long before you start trying to conceive. As I said yesterday, if he's negative, you would be best off waiting until you've been undetectable for six months or more before not using condoms. If he's poz, it won't matter.

Keep us posted!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mara_99

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 04:00:01 am »
Hi Ann,

My husband is HIV negative, and I think I would rather not risk anything and go for artificial insemination (using a condome and a seringe). For my own peace of mind..I heard that this method has been used by others and it should work fine :)

Offline mara_99

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 01:53:23 pm »
Hi,

I just came from the doctor and she told me that, apart from being undetectable even at the begining of the pregnancy, what also matters is the period of time since you are undetectable. The longer the better. What do u know about this?

Offline Cunme777

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 12:28:37 pm »
Hello my fellow ladies,

Ann, I like your advice. I myself still  :D newlywed about  2 yrs, 4 months still trying to get pregnant, However, my t-c are 800 @ 36% I have switched my regime and would have to wait for my next vl. I have also been undetectable since 2002, thank the Good God, and will try to keep it that way. My hubby is + as well his t-c's in the 1300 's and undetectable @ 42%,  but we have to work on his t-level and the quality of the lil boys :( before we can get pregnant. Is there any advice you would give to increase the chances of getting pregnant.?? I take folic, pre-natal, zinc,calcium, my diet is pretty much veggies and carbs, love fruits.

Thanks in advance. :)
+ since 2001
2009 = on viramune+epzicom
t-500-680, vl-undetectable, 34%
1/2012 = switched to Viramune xr + Epzicom
t-800, vl-undetectable,36%
side effects by 6Th week.
2/23 switched to Reyetaz+Norvir+Epzicom

I give it all to God! be healthy and be strong you are more than a conqueror!.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 05:33:30 am »
Hi Cunme, welcome to the forums!

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "My hubby is + as well his t-c's in the 1300 's and undetectable @ 42%,  but we have to work on his t-level". His T-c (usually known as CD4s in these forums) are fantastic! 1300s and 42%? Wow! His CD4 levels are just fine and don't need "work".

Your numbers are pretty great too. :)

With both of you being undetectable for so long, hiv shouldn't be any concern for pregnancy, provided you are on a baby-friendly combo (is that why you're switching?).

To be honest, as you're both poz, his viral load doesn't really come into it anyway. It's your VL that's important.

I'm no expert on pregnancy or conception, but here's what I do know from both reading and life experience.

I don't know of anything really that will speed up the process of getting pregnant. Um... just keep at it! And try to relax. You often hear of stories where a couple tries for years and then as soon as they decide on adoption or just give up, the pressure to conceive is off and suddenly they find they are pregnant. Life is funny like that. ;)

If you both haven't already been checked out for fertility problems, you may want to look into that. You should have your tubes checked out (sometimes previous pelvic infections can leave scar tissue that blocks the tubes) and he should have his sperm checked out for quantity (sperm count) and mobility.

Sometimes in men, when they wear tight undies and tight jeans or pants, it can restrict their testicles and have an impact on sperm production. Get him to wear boxer shorts and jeans or pants with plenty of ball room while you're trying to conceive.

Get both of your hormone levels checked. Has he ever had his testosterone levels checked? It's quite common for hiv positive men to have low testosterone levels.

It's good to hear that you eat a healthy diet - make sure hubby is too.

Provided neither of you have underlying fertility issues, there's no reason to think you won't get pregnant. Remember to relax! As I alluded to before, being stressed about getting pregnant can sometimes keep it from happening.

I know when I got pregnant, my husband and I didn't try, I just went off the pill and we decided what happened, happened. I got pregnant within about six months. We didn't put any pressure on it happening and it just happened.

Get yourselves checked out. Sometimes it's something as simple as having him wear looser clothing. Most importantly, give it time, not pressure.

Good luck!

Hugs,
Ann
xxx

PS - Your hiv doctor may be able to refer you to an hiv-friendly fertility clinic or doctor where you can get checked out.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 05:44:21 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline mara_99

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 07:31:32 am »
Hi Ann,

My doctor told me that - the longer the period one is undetectable-the lower the chance of Hiv transmission to the baby. I have not heard this before nor read it anywhere. What do you know about this? I am UD for about 4-5 months. Please let me know your opinion. Thanks very much.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 08:08:31 am »
Mara, I guess it just makes sense that the longer you're undetectable, the better. Fluctuations in viral load are more common at the beginning of taking meds and less common as time goes on. Once you're undetectable for at least six months, the meds have the upper hand so to speak and provided you take your meds every day, the virus should remain suppressed.

Personally, I've always thought it's better to start on meds and be undetectable before attempting conception due to the chance of having a premature birth. (I'm not saying it happens more often in poz women, I'm just saying it can happen to anyone.)

Some doctors will have a woman wait until the third trimester to start meds, but what if you have the baby early and you're not yet undetectable when it happens? Chances are still excellent that the baby will ultimately test negative (due in part to the AZT the baby takes for six weeks after being born) but why have the added "what if" stress?

Also, being undetectable for a longer period of time before the birth means that you can have a natural birth. If you've only been undetectable for a period of weeks before labour begins, they will often insist on a c-section for the baby's sake.

I agree with your doctor - the longer you're undetectable, the better. With the period of time you've been UD, there should be no problem with trying to conceive now, as you will have been undetectable for many months by the time you give birth, even if the birth comes a little early.

Go for it - and good luck!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.