Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:36:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773300
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 680
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 609
Total: 609

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Thailand Based Poz People - Health Insurance?  (Read 11676 times)

Offline Loa111

Thailand Based Poz People - Health Insurance?
« on: June 14, 2023, 05:35:44 am »
Question for any expat "farang" who are positive and currently live in Thailand full time...

Are you able to get decent health insurance?

I understand health insurance for Thailand based expats is expensive for those who do not have HIV, & I've read a few cases where the health insurance companies tried to worm out of paying for those with cheaper health insurance. However I am wonder do poz expats have any hope of getting health insurance?

Offline daveR

Re: Thailand Based Poz People - Health Insurance?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2023, 07:26:02 pm »
Every company I tried here in Thailand, local and international turned me down. Pre existing didn't just exclude HIV treatment but turned me down flat. Not sure what they would do if you had an existing policy with them before being diagnosed. My guess would be they would refuse to renew. The exception to that from what I read was Aetna, the company who took over BUPA Thailand. If you have an existing policy with them before diagnosis they cover the treatment costs for HIV.

Offline joemutt

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2023, 04:01:24 am »
It's neigh impossible to get a new insurance for hiv poz foreigners here.
I am self-insured in Thailand, using mainly the public health care system.
I have kept my government mandatory health insurance in my country of origin so I can get care there, too.
Not ideal but ok.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 04:21:40 am by joemutt »

Offline Loa111

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2023, 07:36:23 am »
Hopefully in time, health insurance companies in Thailand will modernise their thinking on this.

Slightly different topic, I am here in Thailand for the summer 2+ months, and I was able to notify my travel insurance company in my home country of my poz condition, and it is on the travel insurance health cert that I have HIV. I do not think it covers HIV which is fine as I am on treatment anyway, however if something did happen me here in Thailand at least it is on record with the travel insurance which will stop any issues if anything happened to me here & I had to go to a Thai hospital.

Offline Mindless

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2023, 01:25:55 am »
Foreigner been living in Thailand for almost 9 years and diagnosed 6 year ago.

I’ve a private health insurance paid for by the company I work for, which I joined when I moved to Thailand.

Nobody knows about my condition, except for my hiv dr and a couple of others dr I was forced to disclose for health reasons (I asked the, to not keep any records). As you may know, apart from the impossibility of having private health insurances as positive person, stigma is a very big deal here.

I basically live in the terror that, if anything serious happens to me, the insurance will get to know, refuse to renew and inform my company... At that point I have no idea what will happen. I prefer not to think about it.

So, basically I pay by myself for any hiv related medical expenses or even not related, if it requires disclosure. Anyways, I still fear that at some point someone at the insurance company will find out.

Don’t know what to do. I’m even worried about writing about this on a public forum.

Thanks for bringing this up anyways

Good luck with your holiday

Dx Feb. 2018, CD 320, %14

- Atripla Feb/18 -->
- Complera (generic) 2019 -->
- Dovato (generic) 2021 -->

Offline Loa111

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2023, 06:24:10 am »
Foreigner been living in Thailand for almost 9 years and diagnosed 6 year ago.

As you may know, apart from the impossibility of having private health insurances as positive person, stigma is a very big deal here.

I basically live in the terror that, if anything serious happens to me, the insurance will get to know, refuse to renew and inform my company... At that point I have no idea what will happen. I prefer not to think about it.

So, basically I pay by myself for any hiv related medical expenses or even not related, if it requires disclosure. Anyways, I still fear that at some point someone at the insurance company will find out.

Don’t know what to do. I’m even worried about writing about this on a public forum.

Thanks for bringing this up anyways

Good luck with your holiday

Yes unfortunately Thailand is very behind the times with the stigma to HIV here.  Hopefully the insurance world in Thailand will catch up eventually.

I am very glad I declared I was poz when buying my travel insurance online. Luckily it was just on a drop down menu for preexisting conditions so I did not have to have a conversation with the insurance co about it.  In pervious years I never even thought about this, just bought travel insurance without declaring being poz, now I realise if something happened me, there is a good chance I'd have had a major issue with cover.

Yes having a nice time here. I love it :)

Offline BKKKevin

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2023, 12:17:52 pm »
I lived in Thailand as a retired Expat (mid 50yo)… It was impossible to get any standard health insurance policy underwritten… I worked with a popular insurance broker who is based in Pattaya… AA Insurance… I worked with them thru email (I lived in Chiang Mai)… was totally up front with my status and they had no problem with that and went out of their way to eventually get me a nice accident policy that the insurer was aware I was HIV+… I also got and highly recommend class 1 insurance for both my car ad motor scooter (Thru Roomji with no medical question)… I am in perfect health but felt my biggest health issue would be caused by an accident - especially on a motorized vehicle!…. So at a minimum get this coverage…

Offline Loa111

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2023, 11:06:01 am »
I also got and highly recommend class 1 insurance for both my car ad motor scooter (Thru Roomji with no medical question)

Would having HIV effect ones ability to get car insurance and insurance for the motorbike/scooter too? Or are you just mentioning that in context of AA Insurance getting you a good deal for motor & bike insurance?

What would you do for non-accident related medical costs, do you have savings set aside for that or go back to your original country for treatment?

I read on a forum somewhere that someone who cannot get health insurance in Thailand (Not a poz person, but due to other medical conditions), had 1 million baht set side for any potential future medical costs. Of course not everyone can afford to have an extra 1 million baht for this.

Offline BKKKevin

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2023, 03:52:33 pm »
There are no medical questions for class 1 car & motorcycle insurance... But this type of insurance only covers accidents while driving or passenger in the insured car (Thus to me is the biggest health risk I face - getting in an accident with my vehicles)...

HIV isn't the only reason one is denied health insurance... Most medical conditions will cause denial... I've also heard a high BMI (overweight) will cause denial...

I personally just pay as I go... I have the resources to pay out of pocket... Fir something really major that can be planned I'd just return to the US where I have full coverage health insurance...

Offline curiousfortruth

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2023, 07:28:00 pm »
Hi everyone, thanks for sharing your information.

I love Thailand and plan to come stay for awhile.

How much is it to buy HIV meds out of pocket? I'm currently on Biktarvy - do they carry this there?   

Offline daveR

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2023, 04:19:44 am »
Hi,

Yes you can get Biktarvy here in Thailand. I was on it a couple of years ago. It cost me around 3500 Thai baht for a 30 day supply. I use to get it from the Bangkok Hospital Pattaya. They have a chain of hospitals all over Thailand so it should be available where ever you are.

Best bring a prescription from your home Dr.

Dave

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.