Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:16:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773208
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 575
Total: 576

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Meds toxicity... How bad?  (Read 4212 times)

Offline newbie76

Meds toxicity... How bad?
« on: October 24, 2007, 04:48:34 pm »
This question won't really have make any difference for me... I, like many others, need the meds to stay alive.

But what I would like to know is how toxic the meds are?

Is it comparable to taking antibiotics everyday for the damage it does to our organs (liver, kidneys, ...)? Or more?

Is there a difference between classes of meds or are they all more or less the same in terms of toxicity? Are 1st line tratments "easier" on our  body?

I would just like to enphasise that I am not trying to slag off the meds or anything... as I said I am very aware that without them I would probably be very close to death by now... I would just want to know a bit more on their effect, that's all!

Thank you.
25th Apr 07: The worst day of my life
27th Apr 07: cd4 202 14%
30th Apr 07: cd4 126 18% VL 110000
19th May 07: Started Truvada/Sustiva
20th Jun 07: cd4 218 25% VL 435
13th Aug 07: cd4 374 20% VL 64
20th Dec 07: cd4 435 24% VL <50
20th Oct 08: cd4 725 31% VL <50
30th Nov 09: cd4 725 30% VL <50
01st Nov 10: cd4 755 33% VL<50
11th Nov 11: cd4 754 32% VL<50
01st May 12: cd4 864 40% VL<50
01st May 13: cd4 615 VL 609 :-/
14th May 13: VL <50

Offline allanq

Re: Meds toxicity... How bad?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 02:06:19 am »
It looks like you're doing pretty well on your regimen of Sustiva and Truvada. This is a pretty common and effective first-line regimen. (It's equivalent to Atripla in the U.S.)  At the rate your viral load has been decreasing, it looks like you're on track for an undetectable viral load in your next set of labs.

Are you thinking of switching meds or is your question mainly academic?

I'm not sure that it's a good idea to classify some meds as more toxic than others. Side effects vary greatly from person to person. For example, for some people, the psychological side effects of Sustiva are absolutely intolerable. Many others tolerate Sustiva with no problem. So some people would consider Sustiva as "toxic," but others wouldn't. For some people, Viracept and Kaletra cause severe diarrhea; others find that it is not a problem.

I can't think of any meds that are free of side effects. However, there are some that I would definitely avoid. In the nucleoside or "nuke" category, I would avoid Zerit and AZT because both of them are strongly associated with lipoatrophy (loss of fat in the face and arms and legs). Zerit also has a strong association with peripheral neuropathy. With both these side effects, it is difficult or impossible to reverse the damage once it is done. I am living with the side effects from these two drugs years after I stopped taking them.

Another thing to remember about side effects is that they often decrease after a couple of weeks, so it might pay to tough it out if you are having trouble when you first start a drug.

There are currently 25 HIV drugs from five different classes approved in the U.S. (I don't know how many are approved in the U.K.)  Even though a person might have intolerable side effects from one regimen, the odds are that he or she could do well on a different combination.

Allan

Offline newbie76

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 09:43:36 am »
Hello Allan and thank you for your reply.

My question was very general and academic, as you put it.

I am one of the fortunates that has close to no side effects, but my question was more aimed towards the "damage" such strong medicines will have on our bodies in the long run.

That is why I was asking about a comparison with antibiotics. Everyone knows that antibiotics aren't good for you, even though undisputedly they help resolve a large number of pathologies. But they kill off the good bacterias and the intestinal flora.

So what I was interested in was to know how "heavy" on our bodies the meds generally are.
25th Apr 07: The worst day of my life
27th Apr 07: cd4 202 14%
30th Apr 07: cd4 126 18% VL 110000
19th May 07: Started Truvada/Sustiva
20th Jun 07: cd4 218 25% VL 435
13th Aug 07: cd4 374 20% VL 64
20th Dec 07: cd4 435 24% VL <50
20th Oct 08: cd4 725 31% VL <50
30th Nov 09: cd4 725 30% VL <50
01st Nov 10: cd4 755 33% VL<50
11th Nov 11: cd4 754 32% VL<50
01st May 12: cd4 864 40% VL<50
01st May 13: cd4 615 VL 609 :-/
14th May 13: VL <50

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 05:15:24 pm »

I am one of the fortunates that has close to no side effects, but my question was more aimed towards the "damage" such strong medicines will have on our bodies in the long run...

So what I was interested in was to know how "heavy" on our bodies the meds generally are.

On Mutation: The concept of a HIV patient "using up" any # of available meds due to viral mutation, has become less of a "given" and more of a problem for a minority, "salvage" patients. Their virus has mutated until unresponsive to all the meds. Amazingly, many are currently reaching "undetectable" viral levels with the new integrase class drug, Raltegravir. Years ago, it was common to hear a MD say "Let's save the Protease for later", meaning saving our last/best defense for when our first line of defense fails. Protease Inhibitor "cocktails" are "yesterday's news". Every 5-10 years more each of us can stay alive, the chances for more effective available treatments increases. Even the very sick may benefit from medical breakthroughs.

On Toxicity: You ask a good hypothetical question...

HIV is a powerful virus. We can't treat it with aspirin, olive oil, fresh garlic, steamed tomatoes, skinless chicken, and multivitamins---all good things! The powerful ARV drugs available tend to be toxic. Taking antibiotics for 5 days must be very different than taking them for weeks, months, or longer. Taking any drug (other than aspirin), for years probably adversely affects critical organs, like heart and liver. For preventive reasons I was asked to go on an STI nearly seven years ago. When my VL tops 100k and/or my CD4s decline to 300, I'll start new ARV. Toxicity is more than a "quality of life issue". Since it is possible to live decades with HIV, the downside is there's a potentially long exposure of organs to toxicity from the meds. For this reason, most newly diagnosed might better wait instead of starting therapy immediately.

On Side Effects: We get a little sloppy here when we use "toxic" interchangeably with "side effects". If my heart of liver are damaged by long-term treatment, that's hardly comparable to diarrhea, Lipo, sleeplessness, gas, etc.---all common side effects from  meds. By delaying first treatments whenever possible (until steady #s reach: VL > 100k and/OR CD4 <300) we reduce the years critical organs are subject to damage by ARV toxicity. Side effects matter. But toxicity is more critical Take the least toxic ARV drugs, effective for you, when you need to---not sooner.

8) -megasept
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 05:50:19 pm by megasept »

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 09:02:10 am »
On Mutation: The concept of a HIV patient "using up" any # of available meds due to viral mutation, has become less of a "given" and more of a problem for a minority, "salvage" patients. Their virus has mutated until unresponsive to all the meds.

I think this is being overly optimistic. The "new" meds are just that, new. We really have no idea what the long-term effects of the recently introduced meds will be. Researchers may guess or hope, but only time will tell.

Also, the problem of adherence, while less of an issue with the fewer daily doses now needed, still is among us and I would be very much surprised if this new generation of possies will be any more adherent than their older counterparts.

Because of this, I think it may be premature to consider mutation and resistance "more of a problem for a minority, 'salvage' patients."

On Toxicity: You ask a good hypothetical question...

HIV is a powerful virus. We can't treat it with aspirin, olive oil, fresh garlic, steamed tomatoes, skinless chicken, and multivitamins---all good things! The powerful ARV drugs available tend to be toxic. Taking antibiotics for 5 days must be very different than taking them for weeks, months, or longer. Taking any drug (other than aspirin), for years probably adversely affects critical organs, like heart and liver. For preventive reasons I was asked to go on an STI nearly seven years ago. When my VL tops 100k and/or my CD4s decline to 300, I'll start new ARV. Toxicity is more than a "quality of life issue". Since it is possible to live decades with HIV, the downside is there's a potentially long exposure of organs to toxicity from the meds. For this reason, most newly diagnosed might better wait instead of starting therapy immediately.
 -megasept

Actually, this is a decision best left to the individual and their doctor.

Toxicity of the meds is certainly an issue. But, the virus is also toxic to the body. It also causes problems, including lipoatrophy, even without the presense of the meds.

It also causes dementia and, once it reduces the immune system to a shadow of its former self, allows other diseases to blossom and grow.

So it is certainly a balancing act. Were I to consider taking an STI, to give my body a rest from the meds, I would not allow my CD4s to drop below 350, and possibly not below 400, before restarting meds.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 09:07:42 am by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline StrongGuy

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 07:42:36 pm »
Meds are definitely improving with much fewer sides and what some people term "toxiciity." I look at each drug and see what we know from doctors observations and studies and take each drug as it's own seperate entity and build a personal knowledge base from that . I'd also second what Megasept said.

"Get your medical advice from Doctors or medical professionals who you trust and know your history."

"Beware of the fortune teller doom and gloomers who seek to bring you down and are only looking for company, purpose and validation - not your best physical/mental interests."

"You know you all are saying that this is incurable. When the real thing you should be saying is it's not curable at the present time' because as we know, the great strides we've made in medicine." - Elizabeth Edwards

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 08:02:23 pm »
I keep seeing all of these references to "organ failure" etc. on various threads due to drug toxicity.  Can someone provide some, uh... actual links instead of making assertions here?

Thanks.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.