Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 12:06:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37634
  • Latest: Hope007
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66329
  • Online Today: 222
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 203
Total: 203

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: PMMA Response & Age  (Read 13238 times)

Offline Pepino2

• Facial wasting need not be...Teach PMMA!
PMMA Response & Age
« on: March 07, 2009, 02:47:25 pm »
I have heard that getting your PMMA done early (eg. 40's instead of say.....60's) is better than waiting as the "response" seems to negatively correlate with age (i.e. It doesn't work as well as you age).  I'll refrain from disclosing my source as this was given to me by a practitioner's experience rather than any kind of empirical research.

I think of it similar to muscle mass....better to "build it up" early on.

Any insights?

Offline dearestgrandson

Re: PMMA Response & Age
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 12:23:14 am »
My wife had artefill a few years ago and the results are holding up fine. I know that it is not put into non-HIV positive person's faces at the volume it is of those who are HIV positive, but it is holding up just fine. When it came out her cosmetic surgeon was a bit sceptical tht it would last as long as marketed, but there have been great results.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 06:53:46 pm »
I have heard that getting your PMMA done early (eg. 40's instead of say.....60's) is better than waiting as the "response" seems to negatively correlate with age (i.e. It doesn't work as well as you age).  I'll refrain from disclosing my source as this was given to me by a practitioner's experience rather than any kind of empirical research.

I think of it similar to muscle mass....better to "build it up" early on.

Any insights?

This makes sense because the way PMMA works is that the microspheres become encapsulated in the patient's collagen and as we age we produce less collagen so the collagen response will not be the same in someone older than in someone younger.

Offline Catman

• Blessed with more than 9 lives! + since 1986
    • Who is the Catman?
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 09:11:55 pm »
Yep, I do agree that around 40 is a good age. I'm now 46 and look much younger than many of my co-workers my age and even those younger than me. They have no idea why! :P
Catman

Meow to the birds
Meow to the tree's
Meow to the end
of this dreadful disease...

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 11:25:25 pm »
Yep, I do agree that around 40 is a good age. I'm now 46 and look much younger than many of my co-workers my age and even those younger than me. They have no idea why! :P

Where did you have the PMMA done?

Offline Catman

• Who is the Catman?
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 12:46:49 pm »
In Ponce, Puerto Rico. The guy is a general doctor who took his PMMA training in France and treats many hiv patients. I have no idea if he still does it or if he still has his office. I do I have him as a friend in Facebook and that I've seen him traveling around the globe going to aids talks, taking seminars and even running in the NY marathon! He seems to be very busy! I can give you more info if you request it through a private message, ok? I don't want to promote him here because I really don't know if he is still in office.
Catman

Meow to the birds
Meow to the tree's
Meow to the end

Offline jamespaul

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 06:18:20 pm »
@Catman,   I just happened across your post on this thread, and wondered if you have heard of a female doctor in Aguadilla who works with hiv patients.   I lived for 12 years in San Juan, and moved back to CA in 2005.  I had a couple friends who had great jobs done with a woman doctor.   It took them three treatments, and back then the cost was only $300-$400 a treatment.   I do not know what filler she was using, but their faces were terrific looking.    We all were patients together at Programa SIDA in SJ...at Stop 19.   Sadly, neither Hector or Ignacio are still with us, but they looked great when they departed.

I spend a couple months each winter on the island, and would be interested in knowing if this doctor in Ponce is still doing PMMA work.   I could rent a car & drive down to Ponce with no problem.

Offline Catman

• Who is the Catman?
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 01:30:03 pm »
I do remember that female because I went first to her after doing my research on facial fillers and she was a close option to my house, only 15 minutes away. She didn't use pmma and I didn't trust the material she was using because of it's lack of longevity, plus I didn't get a good vibe with her because she did not take into consideration much that I was HIV positive. That was my impression, but I'm not saying she is/was bad nor the material she used was bad. I just didn't see her as a concerned doctor, and thought of her more of a beautitian. Then at the Mayaguez hiv clinic where I go for check-ups my social worker advised me on the doctor from Ponce. One thing for sure, the cost of all the fillers has gone up since those days because my filling cost much more than what that female doctor charged, but I went with my gut feeling and feel very satisfied with my results with pmma and the doc in Ponce. I'll send you the requested info through your private email box...
Catman

Meow to the birds
Meow to the tree's
Meow to the end

Offline jamespaul

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 02:30:54 pm »
@Catman,    Thanks for the information on your doctor in Ponce.   I will give the office a call. 

Offline jamespaul

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 02:56:45 pm »
@catman,   If I ever learn how to send a private message to you, I would like to write to you about some off topic stuff.    I've searched high & low for a personal message capability, but have struck out.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 07:02:00 pm »
@catman,   If I ever learn how to send a private message to you, I would like to write to you about some off topic stuff.    I've searched high & low for a personal message capability, but have struck out.

After a certain number of posts, I think 3, the PM feature is activated.

Offline Catman

• Who is the Catman?
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 08:37:33 pm »
Yep Inchlingblue, the PM was activated and Jamespaul figured it out. Got his private message!
Catman

Meow to the birds
Meow to the tree's
Meow to the end

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.