Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:56:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 379
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 341
Total: 341

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Will I be doing more harm than good.......  (Read 9970 times)

Offline scotttt

Will I be doing more harm than good.......
« on: December 28, 2006, 05:20:46 pm »
I am wondering if I will be doing more harm than good if I spend the weeked with Marco (okay Rob, but he is the one who gave away his identity not me :o) by exposing him to my germs.  I have bronchitis (sp?).  I get it every year or so.  It is my understanding that a bronchial infection is not contagious, so therefore there is no risk to him.  I am trying to get on some antibiotics before I travel and that usually clears it up.

Thanks.

Scott

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Re: Will I be doing more harm than good.......
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 05:32:14 pm »
Scottt,

I think the main question to ask is, ''What does, er...'Marco' want to have happen?"  Is he up for the company?  Feel like being alone?  Just make sure you keep the communication lines completely open in an ongoing way & both are at ease with being bluntly honest.  Sometimes either of you may just want YOU time, and that it perfectly normal and to be expected.  Otherwise, I don't think there would be any particularly perilous threat to you visiting. 

I'm no doctor, so I can't say 100%, but I think you should be OK.  If anyone else thinks otherwise, I imagine they will chime in.

Tim
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 06:38:35 pm »
If antibiotics can clear up the "bronchitis"  then it is caused by some  type of organism.... and not just an irritation  or rash....... I would be very careful about being around anyone with an impaired  immunity ( HIV+ ) if I had anything that needed medication to clear.......  my DR even schedules me early in the appointment list so that I don't sit in the waiting room with "sick" people...he even advises to stay away from crowds...malls, theaters,stores etc....... I go to a lot of early matinees for movies and shop Tues afternoon at the store/mall  to keep the exposure down....

I am also not a DR but I have survived more than 20 yrs of this stuff....
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline Robert

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 09:03:12 pm »
HI scottttt....

I would be careful.  When I was recovering from PCP I wasn't allowed to go out either.  Malls, stores, PO....anywhere, it didn't matter.  I would bundle up with lots of layers and go with my brother just because I had to get out of the house.  But then I would stay in the car while he did the shopping.  If it's bronchitis and not contagous then it's not a problem but if you think you might have a cold or flu, tnen be careful.  He's only been diagnosed a little over a month and he still needs to get his strenth back and his immune system back in some sort of order.

I know it's New Year's weekend and it would be nice to be together.  What does Rob want?  Like Tim says, ask him and if he's up for it, then go ahead.   

By the way, it's important you don't act any differently around him.  Don't be afraid of him.  Don't walk around like you're on egg shells or something.  Don't be asking him all the time how's he's feeling.  Don't spoil him.  Be yourself.

Happy New Year.

robert

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 09:44:42 pm »

Don't be asking him all the time how's he's feeling. 

Amen. That's enough to drive a person crazy. 

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline scotttt

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 05:45:34 pm »
Thank you for the replies.  Rob told me that he wants to come visit me, but that I had to see a physician first to determine if what I have is contagious.  I am going in the morning.  I really want to see him.  The flight from LA to Oakland is about 45 minutes.  I think that he wants to get away, and Berkeley and SF and nice places to visit. There are a lot of good eateries close to my apartment and the city is a lot calmer now that the Berkeley students are away on Xmas break.

I am trying not to constantly ask him how he is feeling.  I know that if he isn't feeling well, he will share that with me. I really haven't changed the way I treat him.  However, I think we are both communicating better.  Little petty bullshit has pretty much evaporated.  When serious issues arise we become aware of how trivial so much of the other stuff is.  He has been very supportive of me thoroughout the years.  Whenever the shitstorms come, he is always there with an umbrella. I am doing everything I can to be supportive as well without being smothering.

Thanks again for the advice and support. 

Offline wtgr

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 05:26:29 pm »
Bronchitis is generally contagious as it is usually caused by bacterial or viral infection.

See here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronchitis, then scroll down to Prognosis.

Take care.

Offline scotttt

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 06:14:44 pm »
Hey everyone,

Went to the doctor (SF General Urgent Care).  It turns out that my asthma is flaring up.  He put me on a nebulizer (sp ?) and said I should be okay.  Asked about the situation with Rob and he stated that he didn't think I posed a health risk.  I stopped using my inhaler a few years ago and need to start it up again.

Rob came up yesterday.  He went to the local Stop Aids SF office and they were really kind and helpful. I will let him give you the details.  He hates when I tell his story for him :).

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.