Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:24:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773265
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 323
Total: 324

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 45,000 Walkers Can't Be Wrong  (Read 6633 times)

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
45,000 Walkers Can't Be Wrong
« on: May 21, 2007, 09:20:54 pm »
So yesterday morning I awoke at 5:00am  to do the sign in at the 22nd AIDS Walk-well I think it it was a success. Afterwards it was a great hook up with Alex and Jody!

AIDS WALK NEW YORK RAISES RECORD-SETTING $6.857 MILLION

World’s Largest AIDS Fundraiser Draws 45,000 Participants, Host of Celebrities

New York, NY – The 22nd Annual AIDS Walk New York , on Sunday May 20, was the largest and most successful AIDS Walk ever held, setting records for both participation and fundraising.  Organizers announced that 45,000 walkers helped to raise a grand total of $6,857,527.

“ New York showed its strong support for Gay Men’s Health Crisis (GMHC),” said AIDS Walk Founder and Producer Craig R. Miller.  “We all took to the streets to raise a record-setting $6.8 million to support people living with HIV/AIDS in New York City and to fund the critical HIV prevention programs needed to stop new infections.”

“The phenomenal success of AIDS Walk represents teamwork at its essence.  None of us walks alone, and the success of AIDS Walk is a testament to our ability to work, walk, and succeed together,” said Marjorie J. Hill, Chief Executive Officer of GMHC.  “AIDS Walk is proof that New Yorkers care very deeply about AIDS here in New York City , the epicenter of the AIDS epidemic in the U.S. ”

AIDS Walk opening ceremonies featured the participation of Oscar winner Whoopi Goldberg, Grammy winner Cyndi Lauper, T.R. Knight (Grey’s Anatomy), Lance Bass (‘N Sync), Alan Cumming (X2, Cabaret), B.D. Wong (Law & Order: SVU), Jason Steed (Noah’s Arc), and Emmy-winning writer/actor Bruce Vilanch, with special musical performances by the cast of A Chorus Line, and Stephanie J. Block (The Pirate Queen), who sang “You’ll Never Walk Alone,” the AIDS Walk theme song.

AIDS Walk New York benefits GMHC and more than 50 other local AIDS organizations.

“These dollars permit us to provide innovative direct service programs, outreach and education to hundreds of thousands, and fierce public policy leadership at all levels of government,” said Robert E. Bank, Esq., Chief Operating Officer at GMHC.  “We are grateful to our corporate and individual donors, media sponsors, and especially to the tens of thousands of New Yorkers who make this event the largest gathering of AIDS activists in the world.”

About GMHC:  GMHC is a not-for-profit, volunteer-supported and community-based organization committed to national leadership in the fight against AIDS.  Its mission is to reduce the spread of HIV disease, help people with HIV maintain and improve their health and independence, and keep the prevention, treatment and cure of HIV an urgent national and local priority.  GMHC provides services and programs to over 15,000 men, women and families that are living with or affected by HIV/AIDS in New York City , and outreach and education to hundreds of thousands throughout the world.  For more information about GMHC programs and services, please visit www.gmhc.org.

About MZA Events:  AIDS Walk New York was founded in 1986 by Craig R. Miller and his organization of activists, MZA Events.  Miller is the originator of the AIDS Walk fundraising model and has raised nearly $300 million for leading AIDS charities nationwide.  Miller and MZA have produced this landmark event every spring for the past twenty-two years.

###

"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Re: 45,000 Walkers Can't Be Wrong
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 09:19:49 pm »

WOW ! That was quite the turnout, and a nice chunk of change collected !!

Great Job !---------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline tsw923

Re: 45,000 Walkers Can't Be Wrong
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 10:37:14 pm »
AWESOME!!!

Can someone from the NYC organization help Baltimore out?  I have to tell you the turn out and the communication about the event here leaves much to be desired.

Ty
Help find a cure for leukemia, lymphoma, and other blood-related cancers by sponsoring me as I walk a 1/2 marathon as a part of the Maryland chapter of Team in Training.  To find out more and to donate, please click on the following site:  http://www.active.com/donate/tntmd/tswtntmd

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.