Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:07:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773300
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 650
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 609
Total: 610

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Dentist questions  (Read 2598 times)

Offline Falkore

Dentist questions
« on: October 02, 2007, 01:55:53 am »
Hey guys, I have a question. 

The family dentist that I visited when I was growing up is my uncle.  I used to always go with my family to visit my uncle Tom for my annual cleaning and checkup.  Back in 1998 I moved to another city to go to college and was over 3 hours drive away from my Uncle's office.  Because of that I have not been back except once about 4 years ago or so.  I really need to go back for another cleaning and checkup, but here is my dilemma.

Should I tell him that I am positive?  I know that it is the best thing to do since there is a large chance that my gums will bleed and all that.  I know that if I do tell him my status, he is legally bound to keep it confidential, however I do not like the idea of placing such a burden on my Uncle.  I have yet to tell anyone in my family of my status.  I plan on telling them soon, but not yet.  I spoke with a representative from my Dr's office and she said it's best to tell him or to go to a dentist who focuses on HIV + people. 

What do you guys think?  Should I tell him and request that he keep it confidential, should I not tell him and hope that the universal precautions hold, or should I just go to another dentist? 

Also, I have noticed my last four blood results have shown my CD4 count slowly drop from 595 to the current 531.  Should I be concerned?  I know that for the most part, over 500 is good, but it's slipping.  Any concerns?
Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 02:28:19 am by Falkore »
"Ain't no shame in my flame"
Date:          CD4:     VL:
10/02/05     568       2,070
11/18/05     541       2,970
02/17/06     442       4,720
04/17/06     510       1,100
07/12/06     391       3,050
Start Atripla
09/22/06     595       Undet.
01/18/07     562       Undet.
05/25/07     540       Undet.
09/26/07     531       Undet.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Dentist questions
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 05:46:45 am »
Hi Falkore,

It is always best to let your dentist know that you're positive.

How close are you to your uncle? If you have a good relationship with him, he may be a very good source of support for when you do tell your family. If you're not close, or have had a rocky relationship with him, then maybe it would be best to see another dentist. Which ever you choose, it is always best to let your dentist know. This is so they can be on the lookout for oral problems we positive people are prone to having.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline David_CA

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 11:10:37 am »
I'd probably get a local dentist.  That's what I did when I moved away from home years ago for college.  It was a lot easier than making a trip of 5 hours r/t.  If it's easier, I know I'm more likely to go to the dentist.  If part of the reason you haven't been to the dentist is due to the drive, and part is not wanting to tell your uncle your HIV status, the decision seems to be a bit easier to make: get a local dentist and tell him / her.  If you've moved back closer to your uncle, it may be a bit more difficult to switch dentist, though. 

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 11:34:03 am »
Indeed.  Why be so averse to going to a local dentist if you are not ready to disclose to a family member?  Seems like a simple solution to me.

Also, we are advised to disclose to a dentist specifically not for HIS benefit, but OURS.  There are special needs we HIVers have when visiting the dentist, and mine even routinely ask for current lab results for their files once a year.  I guess if your cd4's are in a lower range it is something that the dentist wishes to know.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline dixieman

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 12:31:10 pm »
Well since your dentist is your uncle and youve not disclosed to your family... to make it simple find a local dentist who deals with hiv... just to make it easier and less complicated... and when you disclose to your family... and you would like to use your Uncles services... then thats the appropriate time to let him know... Why put him in a situation between knowing your status... and not being able to share information with you other family members... People talk... especially Family Members between themselves... so if you want your status not known.. Find another dentist! period.

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 07:16:48 pm »
... to make it simple find a local dentist who deals with hiv... just to make it easier and less complicated... so if you want your status not known.. Find another dentist! period.

Dixieman: We don't need to find HIV Dentists! I refuse to live in an HIV ghetto! Everyone deserves GOOD DENTISTS.

I disclose where it asks on the intake form (once), and we go from there. (US Federal) HIPPA law guarantees you medical privacy. I can tell that my HIV status is announced to this or that hygienist, or dental tech, but always discretely. Once, this lead to an enjoyable discussion of my HIV and HIV treatment. It made me feel respected and that the dental practice was on board with me and my total health. A similar event happened in an ER once.

I wouldn't go to my Uncle for medical or dental care, because I like my privacy, so I am not discussing the original issue of family relationships, privacy, disclosure, etc. If I found a dentist who wouldn't treat me or follow HIPPA, I'd report them! Demand professionalism, and you're more likely to receive it.

8) -megasept

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 08:24:00 pm »
Hi Falkore

This is an important decision as a dentist is the ideal lookout for all changes in your mouth and especially those related to HIV. I like Ann's advice regarding the relationship aspect.

The one thing you did not touch upon is whether you're considering your Uncle because you need dental care and because cost is a factor. If it's a factor, then you need to weigh the figurative cost of disclosing to him as I'm assuming he would treat you at no cost or very little cost.

However, if cost is not an issue ( and obviously you've got a three-hour drive/six-hour round trip X $? / gal/mil car you're using) then go local. It's easier for starters and if you need more treatments over a longer period, you're going to be relieved you've got someone nearby. You can disclose more easily and develop a relationship.

I empathize. I changed for a similar reason. My former, wonderful dentist was a high school chum. His wife, VERY chatty. As it turns out, she became his office manager. I would not have been ready for that at that time. Now, I'm out in certain groups so it's not as big an issue, but at that particular time, I needed the wagons circled.

When faced with decisions such as these a pro's/con's list helps you work it out quantitatively---just for one more option.

Em
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 08:31:55 pm by emeraldize »

Offline whizzer

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 08:38:16 pm »
If you are concerned that you may offend your uncle by seeking more convenient dental care, why not call him explain that distance has precluded you from getting regular dental care, and could he recommend someone close to you that you could see.  That way, you're not going behind his back, he's still participating in your care (by steering you to a good provider), you don't feel guilty about for changing dentists, and you don't have to disclose to your uncle. 

Just make sure and tell the new dentist that your family does not know of your HIV status.  After all, he and your uncle may be buds from dental school or something and you don't want him mentioning something in passing that you don't want mentioned.  HIPAA covers a lot of issues concerning PMI, but it does not preclude two individuals of the same profession from discussing a patient's history in whom they have a common interest, especially if one of the doctors has referred a patient to the other one.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.