Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:47:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 590
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 578
Total: 579

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Where would we be now without "Act Up":  (Read 4841 times)

Offline jm1953

Where would we be now without "Act Up":
« on: July 05, 2015, 11:50:35 pm »
Just watched a documentary about Larry Kramer on HBO or one of the premium channels.  Thank God for him and the countless "Act Up" warriors.

Without Larry Kramer's and "Act up's relentless determination to fight for those dying of AIDS, I don't think many or none of us would be here today.  Without their efforts HIV meds may have taken years to come out.

In the documentary they speak of the 1996 Crixivan trial by Merck.  I believe this was the first PI to be released and patients who were near death began to turn around remarkably.  I can personally speak to that as I was in this trial, and I was near death before I went on it.  This was a four arm study, and just by chance, I was on the arm which included the full AZT and Crixivan combo.

I hope all these incredible efforts are not forgotten and die off with us.  No one left to tell the story.

This is why I am so glad documentaries about Larry Kramer, AmFAR, and others are in the mainstream now.  And powerful films like "The Normal Heart" and "Dallas Buyers Club" which have both achieved critical claim.  But most importantly reminds people what it was like during the first years of the epidemic which were such a nightmare.

And proud that many of us participated in the Clinical Trials which not only saved our lives, but laid the groundwork for where we are now.

This documentary lifted my spirits, maybe igniting a spark that had been almost extinguished. 

Anyway, just wanted to share this with you as fellow LTS.  Especially those who were a part of "Act Up", and those who participated in the early Clinical Trials.

Positive 29 years. Diagnosed 10/1987.  Current CD 4: 720: Viral load: almost 100.  Current drug regimen, Tivicay, Emtriva, Endurant, Wellbutrin, Clonazepam, Uloric, Losartan Potassium,Allegra, Ambien, Testosterone, Nandrolone, Vicodin, Benedryl, Aspirin, lots of vitamin supplements.

Offline weasel

Re: Where would we be now without "Act Up":
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 04:26:56 pm »

Hey JM ,
               One can not mention ACT-UP without giving huge credit

to Peter Staley !     Those men worked thier asses off .

I'm greatful for all of the work done to push drug makers and the gov.

to fund them .

Carl
" Live and let Live "

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 04:36:48 pm »
And let us not forget the hard work Andy Velez has done and still does with Act up, he was there in the beginning also .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline weasel

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 07:33:16 pm »
And let us not forget the hard work Andy Velez has done and still does with Act up, he was there in the beginning also .

I did not know that Jeff .
   Act up saved us all .

Carl
" Live and let Live "

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 08:29:21 pm »
"The Normal Heart" and "Dallas Buyers Club"
if you enjoyed those, add "How to Survive a Plague" and "We were Here" on your list of movies-to-watch ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.