Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:02:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 380
Total: 381

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: What do you think? Thanks everyone.  (Read 10532 times)

Offline BITWORRY

What do you think? Thanks everyone.
« on: April 21, 2008, 09:31:02 am »
Hi, everyone. I am concerning over a stupid incident happened nearly 9 months ago. Yesterday I noticed a lymph node swollen at the back of my neck, I never had anything like that my entire life, I couldn't help thinking that I have been infected with Hiv virus. OK, here is my story, I had my lower lip pierced a year ago from a legal parlor, someday around two months after my piercing was done I took it off but I didn't realize the piercing wound healed up that quickly, so later I kinda pierced my lower lip again by myself. The scariest part was then I went to the mall, picked up a piercing jewelry from a store, and couple of hours later after I went back home I pierced my lip again without performing any sterilized procedure, there was bleeding involved as far as I remembered so what do you think my chances of contracting the virus over this stupid action? How long does this virus can survive after it exposure to the air? What if someone for example the store clerk just took this very piercing jewelry off her lip and she happened to be hiv infected, was I be automatically contracted? BTW I didn't noticed any blood in the jewelry but who knows.. I almost forgot this thing until yesterday I noticed this painful swollen gland at the back of my neck, so please advise me when should I be tested over this? Thanks so much, I'm so worried right now. :'(

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: What do you think? Thanks everyone.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 09:38:26 am »
This worry of yours is totally in the domain of what ifs and has no sound basis whatsoever in HIV science. You are worrying needlessly.

HIV is a fragile virus. It is not easily transmitted except in very receptive settings such as unprotected vaginal or anal intercourse. It doesn't get transferred from surfaces such as you have been worrying about. Read our lesson on Transmission. There's a link to it in the Welcome thread which opens this section.

As for your swollen nodes, leave them alone. You can create a problem where none exists by bothering them. If they persist discuss them with your doctor. Swollen lymph nodes happen for all sorts of reasons and absolutely are not an HIV specific occurence.

You need to become better informed about HIV. This epidemic is going to be around for a longtime to come so you need to know what the real risks are and not this kind of stuff you've been bothering yourself about.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline BITWORRY

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 10:01:36 am »
Thanks Andy:

I just wish that i had a second thought before i put a thing through my mouth, sometimes its hard to let it go when you surfing internet that full of scary info. Do you really think this isn't a hiv scenario? was i using unstrilized jewelry same as sharing needle with someone? I'm pretty sure the surface of the jewelry was dried when i purchased it. Anyway, thanks so much.

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 02:01:02 pm »
BITWORRY-

No need to worry, even a little bit. HIV cannot survive outside the body. It is passed primarily through unprotected vaginal and/or anal sex or through sharing needles while indulging in IV drugs.

Read the Lessons at the top of the page and familiarize yourself with the real risks, then use condoms and water-soluble lube, and you'll be good to go.

Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline BITWORRY

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 01:24:52 am »
Thanks Bucko.

I know environmental contact doesn't spread the virus, but my situation invloved probably contaminated jewelry and bleeding. I checked CDC website, they said the virus doesn't died outside human body immediately, so i guess my situation isn't that much different from pricked by a needle or cut by a razor blade on the street...am i right? So plz explain that to me if you can. ??? this is will be my last post, i'll get test on wednesday to put my anxiety to rest.Thanks again everyone. You are awesome.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 04:16:13 am »
Bit,

It's actually pretty rare for hiv infection to occur following a needle stick. Accidental needle sticks occur every day in the medical profession and yet in nearly 30 years of this pandemic, only approximately 100 cases of hiv infection have been reported amongst health care workers (in the USA) due to needle stick injury.

Sharing needles to inject street drugs is an entirely different matter. When injecting, the person will insert the needle and draw back on the plunger until they see blood appear in the barrel of the syringe. This is to ensure they have a vein. Some of this blood will remain behind in the needle.

When the needle is then IMMEDIATELY handed over to someone else, this second person will then inject some of the first person's fresh blood DIRECTLY into their blood stream. Even then, and even if the first person is hiv positive, infection is not guaranteed. 

This is nothing like what you're talking about. Hiv is a fragile virus that quickly becomes damaged when outside the body. Even if your far-fetched scenario is correct and an hiv positive person had used this jewelry before you, you're still worrying over nothing.

If testing over this is the only way to put it behind you, then by all means, test. As long as you've not been having unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse or sharing needles, you can fully expect your result to be negative. As this happened nine months ago, your test will be conclusive - the window period is only three months.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline BITWORRY

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 08:46:13 pm »
Hello Everybody in aidsmeds forum:

Sorry for my endless whining, i couldn't help overreacting about my situation, plz understand.

So i went health unit yesterday for the blood test, the counsellor really scared the shit of me. According to what she said not only i had a risk for HIV but also for HCV. Now i'm seriously freaking out, the test won't be back for TWO weeks, i don't have a damn clue how am i supposed to coping my fears during this time, any suggestions? Is this really a low risk exposure or what else? I just started my new program at college......

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 08:49:38 pm by BITWORRY »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 09:07:11 pm »
You didn't have a risk for HIV in the situation you provided.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 09:12:30 pm »
So much for the value of certain counselors! What nonsense!

However, now that you have allowed your (unfounded) anxiety to get you further on to the worry track, all you can do is wait for the result. We've repeatedly told you that there was no cause for concern about HIV. Nothing has changed my opinion about that and I do expect you to test negative.

In the meantime get productively busy with other things and the waiting will pass more quickly than you may imagine is possible before you can pick up your negative result.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline BITWORRY

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 09:45:56 pm »
Thanks Andy, Rapid:

Are you saying that it isn't necessary for me testing over this?  ???I'm not sure about that so i did it anyway. I'm not a sexually active person, there weren't any risky exposures beside this, well except sometimes cut myself in the finger, got stuck by fishhook while fishing, etc.I'd better be educated when the real risks are coming in the furture i guess, that is the only way to avoid infection.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 06:28:22 am »
You didn't have a risk so there is no need to test.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 08:00:37 am »
You're absolutely right about becoming better educated and learning to differentiate between real risks and what if so-called risks. Read our lesson on Transmission. You get the basics there.

And again, there was no need for testing. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline BITWORRY

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 01:06:59 am »
Hi, Everyone in Aidsmeds Forum:

Thanks for your support here, i got my test result back, and like all you have said it was negative; Thanks again.

Wish you all have a nice day.

Bye!^^ :-*

Offline BITWORRY

Re: What do you think? Thanks everyone.With New questions
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 06:23:20 pm »
Hi everyone here at Meds:

I have had 3 male to male encounters in the past week, which i have never done anything like that before, gay sex is quite new for me also some questions regard to those type of things i just need some reassurance i guess. I would've never done anything to hurt myself when it comes to sex with another male, thats why i only engaged in deep kissing and those guys performing oral sex on me( which by reading the post i realize weren't put me at a real risk, right?),i also tried to penetrated one of them with condom on, but it didn't work out, but i'm pretty sure the condom was covering the head of my penis all the time, so i guess there's nothing to worried about,either. the only concern that keeps borthering me is before i went out with those guys, i had a minor cut in the fore skin of my penis, but i still allowed them perform oral sex on me, which i wasn't sure about whether am i gonna catch up the virus or not by let them licking my broken skin. I came down with a sore throat yesterday which really scared me a lot, i know the ARS symptoms will not be showing up in at least two weeks after potential exposure, could any other types of std could be showing up that quick? plz help me out here, i'm waiting for your informative replies, thanks so much, have a nice evening.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 06:32:38 pm »
Bit,

Getting a blowjob, kissing, protected intercourse, NONE of these things are risky where hiv is concerned. Condoms have been proven to prevent hiv infection.

Furthermore, not only is saliva NOT infectious, but it also contains over a dozen different proteins and enzymes that damage hiv and render it unable to infect.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple.

Read through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use them with confidence.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline BITWORRY

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2008, 06:43:36 pm »
Ann:

Thanx, that was fast.

My sore thorat really scared me, so you meant this isn't an HIV concern at all? somewhere says getting a blowjob with cut or abrasion on your penis could lead up to infection somehow, i am really getting confused here, should i be testing over this? And thanx for the links, thats really helpful :)

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2008, 07:06:25 pm »
You didn't have a risk and no you don't need to test.

Offline BITWORRY

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2008, 07:38:36 pm »
So is more like theoratical than real risk?? Thanx for replies. :-*

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2008, 08:04:18 pm »
If it would have been theoretical we would have told you theoretical. It was, NO RISK.

Offline BITWORRY

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 09:35:27 am »
Sorry for posting at here again.

I just can't shake off the feelings of being Hiv positive after those 3 blowjob incidents, i have had a cold 1-2 days right after those encounters and today when i was washing my face, i noticed little white dots like blisters stuff around my eyes, they're quite small white dots....am i beijng paranoid again? or should i wait a little bit to get tested, cuz i was worried there was a small cut in the foreskin of my penis, and i didn't wash off those saliva until the next day...could you plz tell me does that increase the risk??

Thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2008, 11:47:18 am »
Bit,

It wouldn't matter if your foreskin was half bitten off. Saliva is not infectious. Getting a blowjob is NOT a risk for hiv infection. End of Story.

If you insist on using this forum to wring your hands over a blowjob, you'll be given a time out. Please consider yourself warned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline BITWORRY

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2008, 09:40:46 pm »
Hey wonderful help people on this forum:

I took your all advices tried to avoid misinfo on internet and forget about these incidents for the past 2 months, but 3 days ago, i had a new incident, i met up with another guy, we open mouth kissed a bit then he blew me for like 20 seconds, i wasn't worried the whole thing untill i got back home, my gums were bleeding, then i freaked out, what if he was infected with Hiv and his saliva came in contact with my bleeding gums? I tried to be as careful and rational as possible but things are just getting worse and worse. I already booked an appointment with my local Std clnic try to get tested and put the whole thing behind, Do i need to worry at all?  ??? Thanks for your time everyone.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2008, 11:25:34 pm »
Bit,

Getting a blowjob, kissing, protected intercourse, NONE of these things are risky where hiv is concerned. Condoms have been proven to prevent hiv infection.

Furthermore, not only is saliva NOT infectious, but it also contains over a dozen different proteins and enzymes that damage hiv and render it unable to infect.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple.

You obviously didn't read this or this:

Posted by: Ann 
Insert Quote
Bit,

It wouldn't matter if your foreskin was half bitten off. Saliva is not infectious. Getting a blowjob is NOT a risk for hiv infection. End of Story.

If you insist on using this forum to wring your hands over a blowjob, you'll be given a time out. Please consider yourself warned.

I'm giving you a 28 day TO.

Jan

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline BITWORRY

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2008, 12:36:53 am »
Hi Moderators:

Plz don't give me a time out this time, i do have a serious question need your inputs on it. Last sunday, i met a guy, needless to say, we had sex(i am the insertive part, it lasted 5 mins top, condom didn't go failure). everything went quite well except after we had sex i noticed the condom was expired, the expired date was 12/2005, i was freaking out, after went back to my place, i had it examed thoroughly with water filled, it didn't leak or teared as far as i can tell, OK, so does that necessarily means i am well protected where STD and Hiv concerned? I am fully awared that ppl should not using expired condoms, if i would've have known, trust me i wouldn't do that to put me at risk for sure. the only concern is The expired condoms are in greater chance to fail or break, am i right? or they are not protective against the virus at all cuz the tiny tiny holes on it? BTW, Ann thanks for the condom and lube links, i am checking them right now~

Oh, i have another question, last week i had a rapid hiv test done(Negative after 4 times unprotected insertive oral sex) at my local community health center, the test was performed in Canada, it called INSTI hiv test, i have no idea how reliable the tests are, does anyone here knows this kinda test used in Canada? thanks!

xxx

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2008, 01:50:35 am »
Read the transmission lessons. You can find the link in the "Welcome" thread.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2008, 06:29:43 am »
Bit,

You're not supposed to use out-of-date condoms because they're more likely to break. Yours didn't.

Getting a blowjob is not a risk for hiv infection, as you've been repeatedly told. It's no surprise you tested negative. You haven't had a risk. You don't have hiv.

Keep using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline BITWORRY

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2008, 08:14:41 pm »
Thanks,Ann and Rapid.

Offline BITWORRY

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2008, 10:38:40 pm »
Hi,moderators:

So even though the condom i used was way out of date, as long as the head of my penis was covered fully and didn't fail(slip or split), i am Ok, right? Sorry about the reassurance thingy,i'll try to do my best to let it go and in the future never let it happend again :-\

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2008, 05:29:12 am »
Bit,

YES! We've already explained this to you. Keep coming back with this and you WILL be timed out - for 56 days this time.

This is your LAST warning.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.