Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:04:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 675
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 662
Total: 662

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Stunned by blood test results...how can this happen??  (Read 3335 times)

Offline TraceyS

Stunned by blood test results...how can this happen??
« on: October 18, 2006, 11:09:06 am »
I used to post as Traceyj but got married and now am TraceyS. I contracted HIV Jan 04 and diagnosed in Aug 04 and blood results as follows...18/08/04 CD4 508 30%      VL 6260
                                             20/12/04 CD4 460 24.9% 
                                             29/07/05 CD4 408 26% 
                                             20/12/05 CD4 341 22.2%   VL 84,727
                                             11/06/07 CD4 321 25.8%
 Today I got my results for        10/10/06 CD4 420 29%      VL<400 
I don't exercise as much as I should due to work and having a child, I drink a little beer everyday and I often forget my vitamin tablets. I thought today I would be coming home with my first prescription of anti HIV meds but instead I got these amazing results!!! How, when my blood results were declining steadily, can my body suddenly be able to fight the virus. I feel so lucky today..but would like to understand a bit more how this can happen. I have never taken any meds.Thanks in advance if anyone can give me any answers!                               

Offline allopathicholistic

Re: Stunned by blood test results...how can this happen??
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 11:32:24 am »
i'm sure you'll be getting lots of answers here - i don't have any... all i can  say is .....*CONGRATZ!*

Offline Poz Brit

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 11:41:46 am »
I am unable to give you any answers, But I am really pleased for you, so just feel good, that your body has the strength to fight back at the moment, I had a similar experience at my last check up CD4 up from 367 to 521 and VL down from 3146 to 1600 I was elated, as I am also not yet on medication.
We done, Hope you continue to improve.

John(UK)

Offline Strayboy74

• tastes like chicken
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 12:34:56 pm »
I feel so lucky today...

The human body is a resilient vessel.

Your VL and CD4 count can change throughout the day - a great deal.  My old doctor told me this, when I got freaked out that my VL went from 5000 to 11,000 to 44,000 then down to 21,000.  My CD4's went from 960 to 420 to 360, then to 500.  Not to take the wind out of your sails.  Your percentage went up, so that's a good sign. :)  Doesn't sound like it could be (and hopefully its not) a lab error.

Stress is a big factor... perhaps you sold the children on the black market, and don't have to make sack lunches anymore.  yay!  stress gone! :)  you'd be amazed at what a terrible weight certain little things have on your health.  For example, I was volunteering for a non-profit.  When I quit, viola! my numbers went up.  I had no idea the stresses I was under just by helping out.

So, congrats on the numbers.  Get plenty of sleep, plenty of rest, and -if you have time- grow a few more middle fingers; you may need them later on.

-joseph

Offline trellium

• stArk raving Borg
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 01:19:45 pm »
I thought today I would be coming home with my first prescription of anti HIV meds but instead I got these amazing results!!! How, when my blood results were declining steadily, can my body suddenly be able to fight the virus. I feel so lucky today..but would like to understand a bit more how this can happen. I have never taken any meds.

TraceyS,

Curious.....your previous post on Oct 08, 2006 in  Main Forums / Nutrition & HIV / Spirulina says:

"I'm just starting out on treatment...Sustiva and Combivir. I am presently taking spirulina and vitamin ACE supplement. Does anyone know anything about drug interactions with spirulina? Is it something I should continue using or should I be spending my money on something else? Many thanks if you can help."

Forgetful eh?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 06:54:06 pm »
Trellium,

Tracy said today that she thought she would be coming home with her first meds. She posted the question about drug interactions with suppliments two days before her blood draw, maybe she was assuming the worst when she posted that. I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt anyway.

Tracy,

How long have you been married now? (congrats, btw!) I'm guessing that maybe wedded bliss is improving your numbers. Maybe having that security in your life is making life less stressful for you. Our mental/emotional state has a huge impact on our body's ability to fight this bug.

Whatever it is, it's good news.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline TraceyS

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 07:33:35 pm »
Thanks guys for your replies. I'll hope for the best and make more effort to exercise and take care!! I think you are definitely right about the stress factor.
Trelium, when I went to my doctor before my last blood draw it was to discuss starting meds as, with my previous results and the latest info on when to start meds I decided that I wanted to start sooner than later. My husband had TB when he had a CD4 of 190 and I had decided to start around 300 especially as my last viral load was 87 000. The doctor took my CD4 and viral load as a base level before I started meds and went to collect my first anti HIV meds...and instead got this unbelievable...and fantastic result. So I wasn't lying ..I believed I was just starting out on HIV meds. I would not use this forum to play games or lie, this forum is much to important and valuable for that. Thank you Ann for giving me the benefit of the doubt. Thanks again guys.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 12:10:42 am »
Hey Tracey,

Congratulations on your marriage. It is also good to hear that your numbers are where they are. Your CD4 percentage definitely looks good. Also, you DO want to continue with your multi-vitamin as well as some Omega 3. Exercise is also important including your rest as well.

Make the BEST of each Day!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.