Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 30, 2024, 12:46:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772965
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 178
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 132
Total: 132

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What is it about San Francisco?  (Read 7928 times)

Offline Tim Horn

What is it about San Francisco?
« on: September 01, 2009, 06:12:46 pm »
Hi Gang...

I'm working with the POZ folks on developing a cover wrap for the November issue of the magazine, to be handed out in San Francisco at the U.S. Conference on AIDS. In short, the cover wraps -- which are quite popular among conference attendees -- list a diverse mix of "best" restaurants, bars/clubs, and city attractions to consider while in town. Though a bunch of us on staff have a few favorite S.F. destinations, I'd really like to hear from others who have been there.

Between now and next Tuesday (9/08), if you guys could fire off a favorite restaurant, bar/club and city attraction -- with a brief explanation of your selections -- we can then turn out a best-of-the-best list with some blurbs incorporating some of your descriptive language.

Let 'em know what you find so magical about S.F.,

Tim Horn

Offline Puckslinger

Re: What is it about San Francisco?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 06:43:05 pm »
Hiya Tim,

I lived in the Bay Area for several years, and the San Francisco Bay Guardian newspaper lists a 'Best of the Bay' feature every year that you may find useful.

I haven't lived there for several years; so my faves might not be current or on target.

Anyway, here is a link to Best of the Bay 2009:

http://www.sfbg.com/entry.php?entry_id=8919

Hope this helps

Offline Merlin

• As My WILL, So MOTE It Be !
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 07:03:25 pm »
Your wish is my command Tim, food wise..lol ;)

Sushi Boat Restaurant
389 Geary St
San Francisco, CA 94102-1801
(415) 781-5111‎

This place serves one of the freshest and widest choice of sushi from here to Tokyo. Prices are reasonable and middle ranged. It's a revolving restaurant where instead of a conveying belt, you have interlinked moving junk boats circling the bar, carrying the food selection,floating on water. Cool visual and great food. For me, it's a must go whenever I'm in SF.

--------------

And if one fancies a quaint unforgettable experience after a good meal, try this:

The Sword and Rose
Neighborhood: Cole Valley
85 Carl St
(between Clayton St & Cole St)
San Francisco, CA 94117
(415) 681-5434

Probably the most mystical and magical wicca shop/cove in SF. Very friendly and accurate personal readings too (ask for Patrick). The setting is reminiscence of Camelot. Check it out. No regrets.

And another MUST go to place too is the famous historical landmark, Fisherman's Wharf.  From the killer Clam Chowder to watching seagulls and sea lions sunbathe under the cool beautiful warm cosy day sun, you will be mesmerized by this remarkable one stop sight see destination. Check out their complete attractions;
http://www.fishermanswharf.org/default.aspx?n=400357

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 01:20:08 am by Merlin »
I'll leave Hatred to those not strong enough to Love.

+++

Believe & The Power Of The Mind Transforms.
Make It Happen...

+++

I blame them for nothing.
I forgive them for everything.

---->> Mary J. Blige on dysfuctional parents

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 07:09:47 pm »
Terrific!

Keep 'em coming!

Offline freaky_dream

• mmm
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 07:24:03 pm »
You might want to direct them to get a CityPass. For 60 bucks it allows them entrance to a few museums including the new Academy of Science, a 7 day muni/cable car pass, and various coupons.

http://www.citypass.com/city/sanfrancisco.html

Offline Texan38

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 08:48:53 pm »
I visited San Francisco several years ago for the first time, and I fell in love with it!  I enjoyed Fisherman's Wharf Pier 39. The rides, the sounds of laughter all around, the cool fresh air, the relaxed atmosphere, eating on the pier with the sound sea lions below and seagulls flying about.  Plus walking along the beach heading towards Ghirardelli Square.  It was all so serene to me. 
In Hollywood an equitable divorce settlement means each party getting fifty per cent of publicity.
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline Jody

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 10:09:07 pm »
Hi Tim...Yes San Francisco is a nice town to visit, easy to get around, much to see and do.  A trip to one of the finest AIDS memorials is in beautiful Golden Gate Park.  Then a hop over to the DeYoung museum with its nice views and the plant and flower museum close by in the park.

Take the 'F' streetcar to the pier and head through the Levi Strauss office complex (one of the most tastefully done you'd want to see) and climb all the steps up Telegraph Hill to Coit tower...Take the elevator to the top and enjoy a condensed version of the beautiful views the city has to offer.

Alcatraz, intense and thought provoking as it was, surely was a once in a lifetime only experience for me (wear bug spray) but the ferry ride out there was great, the wind blowing through your hair (or off aztecan's head) where the winds of the bay are great.  A similar ferry ride to pretty Sausalito is a great way to spend an afternoon and do lunch.  We rode over the beautiful Golden Gate Bridge up to Sonoma and really enjoyed the beauty and serenity of California wine country.

Don't miss "Beach Blanket Babylon" in the theater on the north side.  It's always evolving with the times and is loads of great fun, very entertaining.

And don't forget to ride some cable cars, they are lot's of fun and try one to ride after dark.  Coming up the hill and seeing the bridge and Transamerica Tower are great.

Jody :)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 11:31:40 pm by Jody »
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline allanq

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 11:38:35 pm »
San Francisco is a great walking town.

A guy named Rick Evans conducts excellent walking tours. He has two different itineraries. The first is an architectural walking tour around the financial district. He recently added a Chinatown tour. Both tours are about two hours long.

You can find out more about them at these websites:

http://www.architecturesf.com/

http://www.chinatownwalk.com/

The Chinatown walk is new and I haven't been on it, but it's gotten excellent reviews. I did the architectural walk a couple of years ago and I was very impressed.

The architectural tour is done on Fridays and Saturdays at 11 am. If you do the Friday tour, you get to see some magnificent interiors. I believe he has a somewhat different itinerary for the Saturday tour.

The Chinatown tour is done on Wednesdays and Thursdays at 1 pm.

You can almost always find discounted tickets (half-price) for these tours at

www.goldstar.com

You have to become a member to order the discount tickets, but the membership is free.

- Allan -

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 12:09:14 am »
If they are gay, over 40 and would like to go to a bar, I would recommend the Twin Peaks. It is a landmark in the Castro and they serve an Irish coffee that is out of this world!

http://www.yelp.com/biz/twin-peaks-tavern-san-francisco

« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 12:13:58 am by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline md

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 12:33:07 pm »
If they are gay, over 40 and would like to go to a bar, I would recommend the Twin Peaks. It is a landmark in the Castro and they serve an Irish coffee that is out of this world!

Actually pretty much all of the Castro caters to the "gay male over 40" crowd.

At 53 I still feel kind of young to be in the Twin Peaks, though ...

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 05:21:03 pm »

And another MUST go to place too is the famous historical landmark, Fisherman's Wharf.  From the killer Clam Chowder to watching seagulls and sea lions sunbathe under the cool beautiful warm cosy day sun, you will be mesmerized by this remarkable one stop sight see destination. Check out their complete attractions;
http://www.fishermanswharf.org/default.aspx?n=400357

Reading that has made me really want to visit again!  I really like San Francisco.  I'm only coming back when I can enter the country without needing a waiver though!
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 05:32:41 pm »

Didn't we visit this place during AMG Mark?
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline freaky_dream

• mmm
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 06:00:19 pm »
Actually pretty much all of the Castro caters to the "gay male over 40" crowd.

At 53 I still feel kind of young to be in the Twin Peaks, though ...

By the way twin peaks is one of the only bars with windows facing out to the public. As to md's comment they don't call it the glass coffin for nothing.

Offline jgs

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 07:23:46 pm »
Grew up there starting in 1962/North Beach...still consider it as home base while living in NV...
Places I have to revisit on each trip:
Swan's Oyster Bar on Polk & California...old fashioned marble topped counter, creaky wire chairs. small line waiting, sit next to plumbers, dowagers typical SF mix...expensive...but stick with the essentials like the crab or shrimp louie and you can't go wrong.  Third generation, family owned...casual/flip flops to 3 piece suits
If you have to go to Fisherman's Wharf try Scoma's...go with whatever the old waiters recommend is fresh that day, last visit the calamari knocked your socks off...not the usual rubber band/batter awful snack you get everywhere else...petrale sole fabulous...
Washington Square Bar & Grill...casual North Beach mix of just about everybody...on Washington Square with the statue of Ben Franklin...go figure...can't go wrong and close to Beach Blanket Babylon...
Always tramp on the side streets off Stockton (not Grant) in Chinatown for dim sum...don't go enough to keep up with which one is hot, but you've got to do one dim sum (heart's delight) lunch (no dinner) for the quintessential SF experience...better with more than two to try everything off the trays that go by, be BRAVE, wonderful: har gow/shui mai/char shu et al   Japan town great also...

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2009, 07:39:25 pm »
Hi Tim

I really don't have much to add, just wanted to say I always think the world too big to visit the same place twice..but SF is a place i would visit again I absolutely loved it, so many wonderful places to visit...Sausalito is just beautiful and I would definitely recommend a trip over there.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2009, 10:24:27 pm »
A great day trip is to head north of SF to the Muirwoods with Sequoia trees.  It's very close and if you have never seen redwoods, well you need to see them to believe it.  Absolutely stunning nature area with waterfalls and some of the largest trees you will ever see.

Offline bonnie_nc

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2009, 08:18:11 pm »
Hey Tim, Actually Allanq gives one of the best walking tours in San Francisco....  Maybe if you ask him real nice(as we say here in NC....) ;)

Offline Robert

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2009, 08:26:19 pm »

Didn't we visit this place during AMG Mark?

You're right, Chris.  This is the bar you went to.  I bumped into all of you as you were coming out of the place.  So, yeah, you can tell all your 20 Something friends that you've been to the 'glass coffin'  The location can't be beat, at the intersection of Castro and Market with a great views of all the boys walking by.

ps...sounds like London just might be a possibility.  Then I can see you again ~~~   YEAH ~~~  !!!

me

Offline allanq

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2009, 11:20:35 pm »
Hey Tim, Actually Allanq gives one of the best walking tours in San Francisco....  Maybe if you ask him real nice(as we say here in NC....) ;)

Tim,

I just looked up the dates for the conference. I see that it's Oct. 29-31, which is Thursday to Saturday.

I'd be glad to lead a walking tour for conference attendees. I can handle a group up to about 25. Just let me know a good date and time. There are several different walks I can do. If you're interested, I'll tell you more about possible itineraries.

Allan

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2009, 09:30:40 am »
Wow, Alan... that's an amazing offer. I'll bring this up with a few folks in the office today -- I'll see if I can find some way to promote this.

Will be in touch with you soon,

Tim

Offline the trebmeister

• Fame is fleeting ... obscurity is forever.
    • daddy, you bastard
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2009, 04:17:06 am »
A great day trip is to head north of SF to the Muirwoods with Sequoia trees.  It's very close and if you have never seen redwoods, well you need to see them to believe it.  Absolutely stunning nature area with waterfalls and some of the largest trees you will ever see.

i agree!

[edited to excise digressions]
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 10:26:33 pm by the trebmeister »
Your friends may say that I’m a stranger
My face they’ll never see no more
There is but one promise that’s given
I’ll sail on God’s golden shore

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.