Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:37:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 257
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 264
Total: 264

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Live Webcast of AMG 2007  (Read 16446 times)

Offline AMG Coordinator

Live Webcast of AMG 2007
« on: July 08, 2007, 04:35:27 pm »
Hey Everyone,

I've been playing around with an idea and want everyone's feedback.  I have a friend who does live webcasts of different club events he promotes.  This gave me the idea to maybe do the same thing during AMG this year; possibly doing a live broadcast of the Meet & Greet and the social hour. 

This would allow those who can't be with us to participate in another way and possibly draw greater interest for future gatherings. 

I know there's an issue of privacy involved.  What I'm thinking is password protecting the website where the live streaming would occur and only release the password and website to long standing members via a pm request prior to AMG.

What's everyone's thoughts on this?

Dennis

Offline mrtallguy

Re: Live Webcast of AMG 2007
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 05:12:08 pm »
Hey Dennis,
I don't have a problem with it....but then I have my pic posted anyway.   However, I'm not sure it will have the impact you desire....it will basically be a video thread of a bunch of people hanging out and chatting with eachother.  Will someone have a web cam and go around interviewing people?  That is really the only way the video would be interesting.   Having said that, it now takes on the likeness of a production with editing.... which may be more than you wanted to deal with.  A poorly done video link might do more harm than good. Perhaps a post-event link to a photo gallery would be easier and more effective. 

WOW....your dedication to this event just does not stop!  THANK YOU!  :o

Craig
I AM DETERMINED TO SEE THINGS DIFFERENTLY!
--ACIM

Offline allanq

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 05:22:02 pm »
How would this work? Would there someone roving around with a camera doing  individual and group "interviews," or would there just be a stationary camera taking a wide-angle picture of the event. (That would probably be kind of boring to look at.)

I immediately freeze in front of a camera and am therefore not enthusiastic about this idea. It would make me very self-conscious.

I can't even relax to take a picture of myself. For evidence, look at my photo.

Allan

Offline AMG Coordinator

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 05:28:59 pm »
This is exactly what I'm thinking.  No roving reporter or interviews.  Just a simple webcam off to the side pointing to a central spot with sound.  It could also be made somewhat interactive where those who are watching could post comments.  For some it probably will be boring.  But I think it would add another dimension to the event allowing those who can't be there in person the opportunity to be a part in someway.  The streaming video could also be archived and edited later.

Anyways, just an idea.

How would this work? Would there someone roving around with a camera doing  individual and group "interviews," or would there just be a stationary camera taking a wide-angle picture of the event. (That would probably be kind of boring to look at.)

I immediately freeze in front of a camera and am therefore not enthusiastic about this idea. It would make me very self-conscious.

I can't even relax to take a picture of myself. For evidence, look at my photo.

Allan

Offline allanq

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 05:42:11 pm »
I like Craig's idea of creating a photo gallery to capture the spirit of the event. I suggest that each attendee submit their five or six (or seven or eight) best pictures of the event and that they be compiled into an on-line album. To protect privacy, we should ask for permission of the people being photographed before posting their pictures.

Allan
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 05:44:03 pm by allanq »

Dan J.

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 08:19:06 pm »
This sounds like a great idea !

I have no problems with cameras/camcorders tv, webcast being there.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 09:29:03 am by Dan J. »

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 08:43:05 pm »
I don't care for the idea of webcasting portions of the AMG 2007 events.  It's not that I'm concerned about being identified as postive, as I've had my photo on the forums since I joined.  What I do not like is knowing that what I say or do over any period of time may be recorded.  It destroys my sense of privacy, and inhibits me from opening up.  If an event is going to be webcast, you'll likely not find me in attendance.  I realize I sound like I'm throwing a "wet blanket" on this idea, but I do feel strongly in this regard.

A gallery of still photos would be just fine by me.

Regards,

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 09:01:48 pm »
It's fine with me. I don't have anything to hide.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 09:46:20 pm »
If it were interactive I could see doing it -- a webcam conference call/chat type thing.  Absent of that I'd rather see an edited video after the event... like a documentary.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 09:59:57 pm »
As long as the camera spot is clearly defined and I can avoid it, it's fine with me :)

Milker (who only does camera for xtube)
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline RICKY77531

• just Chill
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2007, 10:05:40 pm »
silly milker>>>>> :-\
06/2007   CD4 266  Vl 62000
06/2007   CD4 200  Vl 13495
07/2007   ATRIPLA
09/2007   CD4 323  VL Undetectable
11/2007   CD4 428  VL Undetectable
01/2008   CD4 357  VL Undetectable
04/2008   CD4 357  VL UNDETECTABLE
08/2008   CD4 402  VL UNDETECTABLE
11/2008   CD4 421  79 DETECTABLE..
2/2009     CD4 450  VL UNDETECTABLE

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 12:29:09 am »
Hey Dennis,

I have taken every opportunity to get in front of the media on RWCA  issues.  Over the past couple of years, I have met a lot of people here in the forums but, have never met another forum member in person.   I would enjoy saying hello in the webcast.

There must be some costs involved, is there funds available?  Anyway, like the idea.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline mjmel

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 07:27:38 am »
I would avoid a webcast.
xxx,
Mike

Offline Nadine

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2007, 08:10:37 am »

I would avoid a webcast.

Same here...no problem with pictures though...my camera holds 1000!  :D

Offline AMG Coordinator

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2007, 08:50:15 am »
Since there are some who object I'm prepared to scratch this idea. 

However I'm curious as to what's the difference whether a larger number of our fellow forum members are there in person or with us via cyber?  Would we all act differently if there were 100 people in attendance rather than the 50 scheduled to attend this year in person.  The webcast would only be viewable to forum members.  To those who object, would you also object to those of us who have camcorders?  How about local news coverage?

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2007, 01:10:47 pm »
I say interesting idea but nay. I'm all for keeping things as simple as poss. This sounds a bit too Big Brothery for me. Can't stand BB. I'm just there to meet some friends, chill out and have a laugh. I have no problem with being identified or photographed but I don't want to feel like I'm on candid camera.

Not to mention, I'd have to breathe in the whole time to hold my pot belly in! :D

Melia :)
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2007, 01:16:48 pm »
Hey AMG Cr:   ;D

Since there are some who object I'm prepared to scratch this idea. 

I don't know the first thing about a "live webcast" so this may sound foolish.  But does it have to be an all or nothing situation?  What I mean by that is, would it be possible to set up your webcam in one defined area, allowing those members who wish to be a part of it to do so, and allowing those members who may not wish to be a part of it, to not do so?  I suspect, at the meet and greet for instance, the area viewable by camera would have to be set up off to the side or something, so as not to inhibit the flow and participation of everyone.  Is that possible?

However I'm curious as to what's the difference whether a larger number of our fellow forum members are there in person or with us via cyber?  Would we all act differently if there were 100 people in attendance rather than the 50 scheduled to attend this year in person.  The webcast would only be viewable to forum members. 

Well, speaking only for myself here, depending how much mischief I get into   ;), the number of "witnesses" could become an issue if I have to start paying people off.  LOL! ::)

To those who object, would you also object to those of us who have camcorders?  How about local news coverage?

Whether it's a camcorder or a camera, I would hope that wherever someone falls on the spectrum of being concerned about privacy (None, Some, A Lot) that their wishes and circumstances would be treated with respect and consideration.  Allowing everyone who is attending to participate freely, openly, and without concern for possible discomfort, either at the gathering or post-gathering (with photo's being posted here).  Otherwise one of the most important and meaningful parts of AMG would be lost, and I think that would be tragic.

Finally, regarding your question about local news coverage.  Last year we compiled a list of those members who were willing to make themselves available to the media.  We did this by asking them to send a pm to Joe.  They included information that any media would likely require if they opt to do a story on the gathering.  Full legal name, address, contact phone, and a brief bio (gender, length of status etc).  Perhaps there is a member attending this year, who would be willing to help coordinate this aspect?  The advantage to this was it respected the privacy concerns of members, it provided a potential pool of other members, without the possible awkwardness of asking people to publicly state their willingness/unwillingness (is that a word?)  Just a suggestion.

RAB

Edited to correct error
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 08:36:34 am by RAB »

Offline allanq

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2007, 01:45:00 pm »
I see a big difference between having 100 people actually at the event vs. having 50 at the event and 50 watching it live on video. With a webcam, the people at the event have no idea who is even watching, so it's not like those viewers are actually participating in the event.

Like Melia, I don't like the idea of being on Candid Camera.

If Alicia Dattner agrees to having her performance recorded, that might be nice.

Allan

Offline mjmel

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2007, 02:49:24 pm »

Not to mention, I'd have to breathe in the whole time to hold my pot belly in! :D

Melia :)

Me too, Melia.  ;D
xxx,
Mike
(who will have to fast before a trip to San Diego or San Francisco so as not to look like a piglet)

Offline JR Gabbard

• Union Jacks
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2007, 03:20:51 pm »
Dennis:
My first reaction when I read this thread was to strike my best Norma Desmond pose--"I'm ready for my close-up, Mr. DeMille." So very gay!  (I am, you know)

My next reaction was the same as many others here--how's that gonna work?

I like the idea of making AMG accessible to those who cannot attend.  I also like the idea of photos and/or video to record the event.  And there are other options.

How about a live chat (maybe with webcam)?  That would make the M&G interactive in a way that a simple webcast could not.  'Twould require at least one Wi-Fi-ready laptop.  The uplink logistics would (should) be the same as for a webcast.  I believe (but am not certain) that there's a hot spot in that neighborhhod.

Also, since there are hot spots all over town, we could bring more than just the M&G(s) to the web.  And my imagination begins to spin out of control.......

Just some thoughts.

Can't wait to meet everyone!!!!!

JR (who just realized he may have inadvertently volunteered for a recon mission)   ;D
It goes like this
The fourth, the fifth,
The minor fall, the major lift,
The baffled king composing Hallelujah!

L. Cohen

Offline Basquo

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2007, 03:57:10 pm »

Finally, regarding your question about local news coverage.  Last year we compiled a list of those members who were willing to make themselves available to the media.  We did this by asking them to send a pm to Joe.  They included information that any media would likely require if they opt to do a story on the gathering.  Full legal name, address, contact phone, and a brief bio (gender, length of status etc).  Perhaps there is a member attending this year, who would be willing to help coordinate this aspect?  The advantage to this was it respected the privacy concerns of members, it provided a potential pool of other members, without the possible awkwardness of asking people to publicly state their willingness/unwillingness (is that a word?)  Just a suggestion.

[/quote]

I would be willing to do this. I'm planning on writing a feature on AMG and would need this info for photos to be published along with the article. Should I start another thread? In all probability I would need to get releases signed in person, but if I had the info I could fill them out beforehand and save everyone from having to fill out the whole thing.

Offline AMG Coordinator

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2007, 07:10:21 pm »
JR,
You hit the nail on the head.  My idea was to bring my laptop and connect a simple web camera.  The idea was to aim the camera towards the central area of the event location.  People would be free to go to the laptop and chat with any forum members who may be viewing.  The events I thought this might work well at were the meet and greet and the social hours at the hotel.  The hotel has wifi.  Still waiting to hear from Crimson Lounge.

There are a few options.  Staging the camera in a way that the majority of the event area is viewable to the online audience.  Another option, as Rocky mentioned is to set the viewing angle off to the side.  Yet, another option would be to set up the cam and computer in an areas where only the person sitting at the computer would be viewable.  The third option is my least favorite as it doesn't really bring the event to the other forum members but it will work as a compromise.

Again, this could all be setup pretty securely where only forum members would have access.  The website would be password protected only released to long standing members of the forum via a pm request prior to our arrival in SFO.  We could have a cutoff for requests one week prior to our arrival and those who have been granted access can be made available to the members in attendance. 

For those not familiar with the concept visit http://www.mapwest.com/web_cam/sealions/listing.html

Just throwing ideas out there.  Perhaps this isn't the year to shake things up or push the limits.  Everyone needs to feel comfortable and I respect that. 

Dennis:

How about a live chat (maybe with webcam)?  That would make the M&G interactive in a way that a simple webcast could not.  'Twould require at least one Wi-Fi-ready laptop.  The uplink logistics would (should) be the same as for a webcast.  I believe (but am not certain) that there's a hot spot in that neighborhhod.

Offline JR Gabbard

• Union Jacks
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2007, 02:51:49 pm »

Whether it's a camcorder or a camera, I would hope that wherever someone falls on the spectrum of being concerned about privacy (None, Some, A Lot) that their wishes and circumstances would be treated with respect and consideration.  Allowing everyone who is attending to participate freely, openly, and without concern for possible discomfort, either at the gathering or post-gathering (with photo's being posted here).  Otherwise one of the most important and meaningful parts of AMG would be lost, and I think that would be tragic.

bold added

I agree 100%.  So I have to say that I think a webcam set-up like the one on the (missing) sealions would be a very bad idea.  I can think of 3 people right now who would be completely skeeved by that idea.

There are a couple of compromises that might work.  We could set up a camera/video-free zone where the majority of the action happens, and a separate video zone with webcams pointed away from the crowd, where folks can get face time if they wish.  Or, we could ban webcams altogether, and have a text-only chat room with as many laptops as want in. 

One wrinkle--it would be very cool to record/broadcast the singer, with her permission of course, but in order to do that we would have to shoot over the crowd.  This will bring up a privacy issue for those who absolutely do not want to be on camera.  There's a work-around, of course, but it deserves to be discussed.

AMG will be a lot of fun!

JR
It goes like this
The fourth, the fifth,
The minor fall, the major lift,
The baffled king composing Hallelujah!

L. Cohen

Offline AMG Coordinator

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2007, 06:27:03 pm »
I personally don't care for the idea of having a text only chatroom with a bunch of laptops set up at the events.  This kind of defeats the whole purpose of the gathering.   We could could all just sit home and do the same thing.  The idea of a live webcast was more for the benefit of those unable to attend due to financial constraints, health, work, etc. then for those in attendace.  To allow others in the forum not in attendance to be a part in someway. 

To setup a live webcast of the comedian would be too much work for just 15-25 minutes of time.  It would be if someone had a camcorder though.

This may all be a mute point anyway.  Crimson Lounge doesn't have wifi. 

The only place a live webcast would be feasible would be the social hour at the hotel on Saturday and Sunday. 
What I recommend doing is what several have suggested.  Setup the camera so it's view is off to the side, away from the main area of activity.   A chat room could also be setup.  The social hours aren't major events and officially only last an hour.  We can then evaluate after the weekend is over.  Based on the feedback from the attendees and the number of views from forum members we can then decide if it was successfull and worth doing in future gatherings. 

Dennis

Offline Cliff

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2007, 02:03:48 pm »
As long as it's set up in a defined area, I don't have a problem with it.  It really doesn't sound that different to the media event that happend last year.  Those who wanted to be interviewed participated.  Those that didn't, didn't.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2007, 02:24:21 pm »
Lordy!  Maybe we should just set up webcams from the bedrooms and offer pay-per-view.  We could probably finance our SF spending and add to the grants fund in one swoop.   ;D
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Jerry71

• Biktarvy CD4 637 04-17-18
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2007, 08:28:20 pm »
Last year we setup a Kodak site just for AMG members to view of our trip to Montreal. It was private and also you can send out the password to only those that attended the event to view the photos to keep your idenity cleared. It was fun and safe. As far as the video site goes that also can be setup through youtube, where the AMG can setup an account for only those that went could view privately.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2007, 11:54:47 pm »
Last year we setup a Kodak site just for AMG members to view of our trip to Montreal. It was private and also you can send out the password to only those that attended the event to view the photos to keep your idenity cleared. It was fun and safe. As far as the video site goes that also can be setup through youtube, where the AMG can setup an account for only those that went could view privately.

Actually Jerry the kodak site wasn't private. I didn't need no password to see what all you monkeys got up to.

MtD

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2007, 11:26:43 pm »
Lordy!  Maybe we should just set up webcams from the bedrooms and offer pay-per-view.  We could probably finance our SF spending and add to the grants fund in one swoop.   ;D
I've contacted xtube. They're on it. Room 69.

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline mrtallguy

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2007, 09:00:26 pm »
THUNTER....your capitalistic ways are music to my loins...and that avatar pic deserves a big WOOF!!  :P

MILKER.....I'll be joining you in room 69!  :o

MATTY....your avatar gets FIRST PLACE.....love it....love it...love it!!

DENNIS.....what should WE do in front of that camera??  ;)

I AM DETERMINED TO SEE THINGS DIFFERENTLY!
--ACIM

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2007, 12:54:19 pm »
for a webbased livecam that is free check out stickam.com.  There is nothing for either party to download and you literally just need a cam, a puter and a connection to go live.   Virtually no set-up time.  The player also lets you record a live upload for later playback which might be good for the morning after coffeehouse confessionals.

For a sample you can check out my blog where I am currently using this service.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.