Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:26:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 198
Total: 201

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: sustiva and insomnia  (Read 5818 times)

Offline jdn

sustiva and insomnia
« on: September 06, 2008, 06:54:54 am »
Hello everyone,

I've been taking sustiva+truvadas from april 2008.
Doc prescribed me this treatment with Orfidal (benzodiazepine) in case I had insomnia so I took it together for several months.
I felt the quality of sleep was not so good with these sleeping pills but due to my work and the stress I felt I took it anyway.
Now I wanted to get rid of this sleeping pills and it is been quite difficult.
I've been taking sustiva and truvada alone and after three hour on dosage I woke up aveynight (it's been almost a week).
The only good thing is that avrynight it takes me less time to fall back to sleep (from more than three hours to one hour).
I'd just would like to know whether anyone has experience this and whether this anoying side effect will go away after time. Ive also thought that it could be that my body is feeling attached to the benzos and that it needs sometime to readjust.

Thanks for your replies.
Hope you are all well.

Take care

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
Re: sustiva and insomnia
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 08:28:21 am »
Yeah, benzodiazepines are addictive and can take some time to return to a regular sleep pattern after you stop taking them.

I'd recommend the following plan:

1)  Give it at least another week to see how you adjust.

2)  If you still can't sleep well, I'd look at two options:

a)  Start using one of the newer sleeping pills that are non-addictive (or far less addictive), like Lunesta (I LOVE this little pill).

b)  Switch off of Sustiva to either Viramune or boosted Reyataz.

Obviously, consult your doctor on any possible options before making a decision.

Good luck!

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 08:43:44 am »
Jdn,

Benzos are addictive and one of the things I've been strung out on in the past.  I quit cold turkey after taking them/overtaking them for about 10 years.  That's not something I'd recommend.  I think most doctors (or at least some) know how to do a safe taper of these.  And that's what's recommended coming off of benzos.  Still, it does take time for the body to adjust.

Otherwise, I'd follow Peter's #2 suggestion.
  luv,
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline markaj

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 01:54:30 pm »
I've been on Sustiva and Truvada for 2 weeks after switching from Kaletra and Truvada.  I've got exactly the same problem.  I take both pills at 10pm on an empty stomach, have no problem dropping off to sleep but at 1am I'm wide awake, really restless and agitated and cannot get back to sleep. 
I tried Zopiclone - that brought me an extra 2 hours sleep and am now taking 20mg Temazepam at 930pm every night - this is the only thing that keeps me asleep and when I have woken up I have no problem getting back off again.  I know Temazepam's really addictive and I can't take it indefinitely (I only have 56 tabs anyway) so I'll be really interested to hear some of the tips you get, thanks for posting the question.  I tried the other night to not take any sleeping pills and sure enough there I was wide awake at 130am - after tossing and turning for an hour I took the Temapzepam.  Sorry I can't offer you any advice on how much longer this is likely to go on as I'm in exactly the same boat. I hope we both get a proper chemically unaided sleep very soon. Best wishes. Mark x
Infected Jan 08 / diagnosed Feb 08
Feb 08 - CD4 230 (9%) VL 3.5 million
Mar 08 - CD4 440 (6%) VL 660.000
Apr 08 - CD4 420 (11%) VL 3 million
Jun 08 - CD4 200 (7%) VL 3 million
Started Kaletra/Truvada Jul 08
Jul 08  - CD4 250 (14%) VL 23.893
Aug 08 - CD4 410 (15%)  VL 4.313
Switched to Sustiva/Truvada Aug 08
Switched to Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada Sep 08
Diagnosed with Hep C, HIV meds stopped for a bit
Nov 08 - CD4 414 (12%) VL 500.000+
Started Isentress/Truvada Nov 2008
Dec 08 - CD4 381 (17%) VL 1.116
Jan 09 - CD4 534 (20%) VL <50
Started Interferon/Ribavirin Jan 09
Feb 09 - CD4 407 (24%) VL <50
Mar 09 - CD4 360 (28%) VL <50
Apr 09 - CD4 279 (30%) VL <50
Jun 09 - CD4 298 (36%) VL <50
Aug 09 - CD4 303 (35%) VL <50

Offline jdn

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 07:11:15 am »
Thanks for your replies.
I think I'm going to give it a try for another week or so.
Last night it was a little bit better, I did woke up but felt back asleep much quicker. Hopefully I am getting rid of y addiction ;)

I want to believe that human body has the capability of adapting to any situation.

Markaj,
It is really not good at all not beeing able to sleep. But I've also heard that inevitably and eventually the body has to fall asleep sometime.... I hope you find your get back to sleep in a most natural and resting way.

A hug to all

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 06:22:47 pm »
A pretty good sleeping med that doctors prescribe that's not addicting is called Trazadone.  Believe me guys, that will definitely knock you out w/out the possibility of getting dependent (physically) on it.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 09:39:44 am »
A friend of mine remedied this problem by taking his Truvada in the morning when he gets up, and taking the Sustiva at bedtime as usual. It might be worth a try - speak to your doctor about changing your Truvada dosing time.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 09:42:39 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline parteboy

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 07:53:41 pm »
I had the same issue and put up with it for 12 months. I've just switched to viramune and the sleep has been wonderful, however for me i've had a few more side effects from viramune. Hopefully they are temporary.

Stick with it and see what happens but remember there are other choices....

Offline Finnboy

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 07:55:43 am »
A friend of mine remedied this problem by taking his Truvada in the morning when he gets up, and taking the Sustiva at bedtime as usual. It might be worth a try - speak to your doctor about changing your Truvada dosing time.

Given that you've been on the drugs for a while now, I'd suggest a variation on the plan suggested by Ann: take both pills on an empty stomach in the morning, half an hour before eating your breakfast. When I did that, the effect was a marked and instantaneous return to a normal sleep and dream pattern. But do speak to your doctor first. 

I wouldn't advise this for anyone just starting out on this combo. Be patient and wait a couple of months, until you no longer get that high that hits you an hour or so after taking the Sustiva.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 07:59:27 am by Finnboy »

Offline MYSTERY

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 11:25:57 pm »
I had problems sleeping while taking atripla, but once I stopped drinking my triple grande latte I have never slept better. My pharmacist told me that there is a nine hour half life on caffeine. So if you are drinking coffee and having problems sleeping that might be your proble. Just a thought. ;D
Atheist don't believe in GOD, but GOD believes in them and loves them. Never let the failure of man conflict with your love of GOD.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.