Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:56:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 651
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 622
Total: 625

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Better late than never - Gemini20 - a brief history  (Read 4882 times)

Offline gemini20

Better late than never - Gemini20 - a brief history
« on: December 05, 2006, 08:10:38 pm »
I never did formally introduce myself in the old forums so like others who've gone before me recently I thought I'd do a quick biography so you know a little more about me.

One of twin girls born in Hannover, Germany as my dad was in the British Army. I spent first few years of my life moving between army bases in the UK and Germany but we moved permanently back to rural England after Dad died suddenly aged 34 in 1975 - I was 6 years old at the time and it is still a loss I have never come to terms with.

After school I escaped my rural childhood and headed to university to study for a degree in Social and Environmental Studies (i.e. I didn't have a clue what career I wanted so tried a bit of everything!).

In 1991 during my final term at uni I went to a concert in central London and met the man who would change my life forever. Ian was good looking, intelligent and typically for me an 'older man'. What I didn't know was that he was HIV positive, he only told me three months into the relationship when a condom broke during sex. Three months later I got tested and the result came back positive.

After my diagnosis I threw myself into the whole HIV world but Ian refused to join me in any of it and carried on his life as if it wasn't happening. We split up about six months later and within 18 months he had died. I spent the last few months visiting him regularly in a hospice but by then he'd developed AIDS related dementia and it was terribly hard and frightening to watch the deterioration in someone I had loved. I still think of him often and occasionally visit his grave and sit and 'chat' to him.

The past 15 years have been a rollercoaster and I've seen the HIV world change considerably. All my initial support was provided by gay men and for that I will always be eternally grateful as they gave me hope and provided a glimmer of light at the end of a dark tunnel. But the loss of so many friends in the first couple of years after my diagnosis took its toll and I drifted away from the HIV world as I couldn't deal with the cumulative effects of multiple bereavements.

I threw myself into employment to give me something other than HIV to focus on and got a job working in local government where I climbed the public sector career ladder - lasted ten years in that environment before I realised that life was too short to spend writing dull reports for elected officials who couldn't really give a toss.

So I negotiated redundancy, took the money and set myself up as a self-employed consultant. A couple of big money jobs gave me some financial security and enabled me to concentrate on building up my HIV education business in schools. Thankfully that has proved to be a success and I now have over 120 schools on my books allowing me to only have to work for about half the year!

Health has been remarkably stable since diagnosis which I wish I could have predicted as in the early years I was convinced that every cough or cold was the beginning of the end - how wrong I was!

First illness didn't occur until 2003 when I developed pneumonia on a trip to Sydney and later that year also got shingles. I've had two relatively short periods on treatment (4 months in 1999/2000 and then 18 months from 2004/2005) but lack of compliance led me to stop all treatment in October 2005 and I remain off all meds currently.

Friends have called me 'ferociously independent' and I definitely prefer my own company to anyone else's although I am blessed with the most fantastic circle of friends who continue to go through this journey with me.

I've discovered since diagnosis that it's important to have a passion in my life so that when times get tough then these passions can pull me through. Thankfully mine are multiple in number and include Bruce Springsteen (43 gigs since 1991!); football (soccer for my US friends!); being creative - I am yet another AIDSMeds artist; playing golf (yes, really!) and travelling to Australia (5 visits in 15 years).

I always said that if I made it to the 10th anniversary after diagnosis then I would consider life after that as a bonus and I try to live each day now with a degree of thankfulness, joy and understanding of those less fortunate than myself.

I hope that gives you some small insight into me and apologies for not doing an intro sooner!

Emma
Diagnosed 11th September 1991
Current CD4 count 484 (26%); viral load undetectable (December 2011).
Restarting boosted Prezista 08/04/11

Offline Teresa

Re: Better late than never - Gemini20 - a brief history
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 08:32:25 pm »
Emma,

Thanks for sharing. Another fantastic read. You will have to post some of your art work for us to see!

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 08:56:10 pm »
Thanks for sharing a bit of yourself with us. Another artist, that's just great! I am seeing a great deal of talent here on the Forums. I agree with others who have said there should be something to display members art work. It is nice to meet you, Emma.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 09:09:10 pm »
Hi Emma... That was such a good read.. Thank you for allowing us into your life a bit more..

Love

Offline Longislander

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 09:45:25 pm »
Thanks for sharing with us. (besides the post on sex thread!) that smile says alot!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 11:55:12 pm by Longislander »
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline swede_dish

• I feel like an angel baby wrapped in a candy cloud
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 11:46:28 pm »
Thank you for sharing this with all of us....it was a wonderful post! =)
"I married a German. Every night I dress up as Poland and he invades me. "
-Bette Midler

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 12:19:52 am »
Emma,
I really enjoyed learning more about you. I just love independent souls, and from what I have read here and elsewhere, you are definitely one.

Glad you shared with us.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 02:16:19 am »
I always said that if I made it to the 10th anniversary after diagnosis then I would consider life after that as a bonus and I try to live each day now with a degree of thankfulness, joy and understanding of those less fortunate than myself.

I think we're both on the same RADAR screen, Emma.  I have lived so long with HIV I don't have a clue what life would be like without this frigging virus.  I have definitely become more compassionate (in my ego-centric sort of way) and when I can clearly focus every minute is a wonder to behold.  I still wrestle with my own demons but even that is easier since I accepted my HIV status. 

Life isn't easy for most of us but it sure helps to be grounded by the realization so many have so much more to endure than I do.  I am often awestruck by how easy my life has been when I see what others have had to live with. 

L' chaim!

Boo
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 03:54:50 am »
Thank you for posting that Emma,

I can definitely relate to "Friends have called me 'ferociously independent' and I definitely prefer my own company to anyone else's although I am blessed with the most fantastic circle of friends who continue to go through this journey with me." most of all.

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline MSPspud

• Joined Mar 2005 - Formerly UofMurbs
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 03:02:30 pm »
Emma -  What an amazing journey, compassion, passion and fight.  Thank you for sharing your life with us. 

Jason 

Offline gemini20

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 04:27:01 pm »
Thanks everyone for your kind comments - it took me ages to decide whether it was worth me posting or not and am now pleased that I did.

I also found it quite therapeutic to actually feel something as I was typing it up - me and feelings don't often communicate with each other and I worry sometimes that I've become emotionally detached from myself so it was good to reconnect if only fleetingly.

For those who wanted to see some art I am going to have to disappoint you at this time as all my photos of the paintings are over the 200kb size allowed as an attachment. I will however attempt to figure out if I can shrink the 1mb files down to an acceptable level but I'm not the most able computer user so you may have to wait til the weekend when I can devote time to figuring it out!

Best wishes to you all,

Emma

Diagnosed 11th September 1991
Current CD4 count 484 (26%); viral load undetectable (December 2011).
Restarting boosted Prezista 08/04/11

Offline Christine

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 05:43:47 pm »
Hi Emma,
It is nice to meet you! Thanks for sharing your story.
Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline ozzie

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 05:52:22 pm »
thanks for sharing your story with us Emma, you are an inspiration for me and im sure many more. ;D

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 09:10:51 pm »
Emma,
You are an amazingly brave, strong women. And the work you do with all of those kids is just remarkable. England is lucky to have you! And we at aidsmed are lucky to have you as well. I love your posts and hope more are on the way!

Thank you for sharing!
Love,
Jeff
Positive since 1985

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2006, 05:09:27 pm »
Hi Emma. Thanks for sharing. The 90's was quite a decade for you. Glad you're with us and I look forward to your updates re: artwork, staying off of meds (nice!), etc

:) Alex

Offline Alain

• I am.
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2006, 05:35:04 pm »
Dear Emma,

Thanks for sharing yourself.

You have such a great way with getting on living.

And the smile....

Offline Eldon

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2006, 09:03:20 pm »
Hello Emma!

Thank you for taking the time out to share your Bio with us. We are happy to have you amoung us in our community!

Happy Holidays!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.