Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:02:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 361
Total: 362

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Are you guys voting today?  (Read 18894 times)

Offline Cliff

Are you guys voting today?
« on: February 05, 2008, 05:11:08 am »
I hope those who live in the super-tuesday states are voting today!!!  Regardless of who you support, I hope everyone takes the time to exercise their right to vote.

I ran into an American on the train today, and that was one of her first questions to me (have I mailed in my absentee ballot?).  Yes, I have.

I think people are ready for a change!

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Re: Are you guys voting today?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 07:48:21 am »

I also hope that everyone gets out today for the super Tuesday, and votes. And if you don't, don't bitch moan or complain, after the fact !! The thing I can't tolerate, are those that like to flap their  jaws, but are too lazy to get out there and vote...So get out and vote everyone !!

I had one co-worker that's been doing a lot of bitchin and complaining this past year. When I asked him, if he voted last Tuesday, he said  "Why Bother" needless to say I layed into him pretty heavy. 50 years of age, and never voted !!( also found out he was never registered)  I've managed to get at least a dozen people registered this past year, a few of them have never voted before.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 08:17:41 am »
Republicans don't get to vote in the primary in WV.  The decision will be made by the members of the Republican convention.  I guess the decided there's not enough of us in the state to actually open poles.  The Democrats aren't voting until May - by then it'll all be over. 

HAPPY MARDI GRAS!  King Cake, beads, and dabloos all around!

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 08:24:19 am »
HELL YES! I will be marking my X for Obama as soon as I finish my coffee and I encourage anyone else that can vote today to do the same.

Offline ubotts

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 09:09:53 am »
yep Ill be voting ...I want a women to run the office ...It doesnt matter if its Hillary as long as its a women..

Men have done enough, now lets see it from a womens point of view.. ;)
Live Love Laugh and dance like no ones watching.
Laughter is the best medicine, so try to have a laugh everyday..Even if your not feeling your best, think about something that was funny at one time in your life and work with it..   :o)

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 10:33:08 am »
yes yes yes.....one for Obama here !
POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 10:39:29 am »
On my way.  And another Hillary supporter here, although I really like both the top two this time. 
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 10:45:55 am »
I would be voting for Obama if Pennsylvania had their primary today, but alas it's in April and won't probably matter much.

I don't loathe Sen. Clinton though.  Well, OK slightly in the past month or so I've semi-loathed her (and her husband) but I digress.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline ademas

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 11:33:26 am »
Our caucus is on Feb. 9th, and our primary on Feb. 19th.
Both parties pretty much ignore the voter-mandated primary, though, and rely on the caucus to assign delegates.
I hate the caucus process.
Obama for me, but I won't be heartbroken by any means should Hillary take it.

Offline Robert

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 11:57:24 am »
Voted by mail last week.

By the you, you Obama lovers might want to check THIS out.

robert

Offline ademas

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 12:14:20 pm »
By the you, you Obama lovers might want to check THIS out.

robert

wow...thanks for that, Robert.
Inspiring and powerful.

Offline md

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 12:19:30 pm »
I hope those who live in the super-tuesday states are voting today!!!  Regardless of who you support, I hope everyone takes the time to exercise their right to vote.

Nope - not going to vote because I am not a US citizen so I don't have the "right to vote".

I do pay taxes though - lots of them - seem to remember something about "no taxation without representation" - whatever ...

Offline cmhjeff

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 12:26:06 pm »
We'll be voting for Hilllary when Ohio goes to the polls.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline StrongGuy

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 12:33:12 pm »
Voted for my lady Hillary!!!

I liked Edward's too...very sad that he is out.

I liked Obama but the more I heard from him in the debates and read up on him, the more I got turned off.

In the end, as long as it isn't a Republican, I'll vote for any Democrat.

"Get your medical advice from Doctors or medical professionals who you trust and know your history."

"Beware of the fortune teller doom and gloomers who seek to bring you down and are only looking for company, purpose and validation - not your best physical/mental interests."

"You know you all are saying that this is incurable. When the real thing you should be saying is it's not curable at the present time' because as we know, the great strides we've made in medicine." - Elizabeth Edwards

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 12:49:54 pm »
I can't really get past the Clintonian dissembling that Hillary does with her Iraq vote.  Everyone knows it's utter bullshit and was pure cowardly political expediency.

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2008, 01:30:53 pm »
I've been keeping a close eye on the voting so far with fingers crossed for Barack Obama.  But ultimately when it comes to the presidential election as long as it's not a Republican I'll be happy!
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline Cliff

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2008, 01:35:36 pm »
Nope - not going to vote because I am not a US citizen so I don't have the "right to vote".

I do pay taxes though - lots of them - seem to remember something about "no taxation without representation" - whatever ...
It works that way in most countries.  Loads of Americans living in the UK, paying even higher taxes than foreigners in the US, have no say in who the next PM will be!

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2008, 02:08:23 pm »
The fact is, it looks like another election where both Dems and Reps won't be casting a vote because they actually like the candidate, they just dislike him or her less than the alternatives.

Offline Hard Times

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2008, 02:29:58 pm »
hay every one .   
get this !!!  i DON"T get to vote to day here in az. !    WHY ?  because i'm an independant !
just what kind of crap is that ?   
i am going to vote in nov.
Your Body Is What You Are.
Your Soul Is Who You Are.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2008, 02:37:30 pm »
Republicans don't get to vote in the primary in WV.  The decision will be made by the members of the Republican convention.  I guess the decided there's not enough of us in the state to actually open poles.  The Democrats aren't voting until May - by then it'll all be over. 

HAPPY MARDI GRAS!  King Cake, beads, and dabloos all around!

Mum

Huckabee wins West Virginia with the help of McCain:

http://www.americablog.com/2008/02/huckabee-wins-in-west-virginia-with.html

Offline jack

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2008, 02:40:53 pm »
free teeth for everyone

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2008, 02:47:40 pm »
*giggle*

Dobson whacks McCain, says he can't vote for him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yDro-hy3TU

Offline minismom

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2008, 02:49:29 pm »
That's what happens when you don't actually let the people vote - your state picks the biggest creep running.  Believe me, that's NOT who would've gotten my vote. 

Mum
www.watoto.com
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2008, 02:59:36 pm »

MtD

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2008, 03:12:30 pm »
LOL @ Matty

I voted at 8:00 a.m. this morning.   In this state, when you tell them you are a Democrat, they look at you funny....

You should see the old ballots we vote on....I halfway expected to be asked to take out a pocket knife and whittle out certain areas to vote for someone...

;)
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline minismom

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2008, 03:15:49 pm »
I just told hubby who WV delegates threw there votes to.  His exact quote was, "This has got to be the most ass-backwards state in the union!"

He also said that this "vote" only gives partial delegation the rest will be decided when we get to vote in May.  Well, WV wanted to get national attention with it's early convention :-\

Mum

BTW - Mornin' Beautiful
www.watoto.com

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2008, 04:12:48 pm »
Voted for Hillary, but i'm cool with Obama getting it also. 

Anyone but another godawful Republican.

And get this, my partner Ron went to vote today and they had him registered as a REPUBLICAN, which he has never voted in his life.  He has voted numerous times as a Democrat here previously.  They wouldn't let him have a ballot for the Democratic candidates.

>:(

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2008, 04:22:15 pm »
Hey Cliff,

I live in a Super Tuesday State, I did miss Super Sunday... but NOT Stormy Monday, I did vote the old fashioned way (absentee ballot) on the First!.  I drove 40 miles one election year to get to the polls before closing, even after my candidate conceded on election eve.  I have never missed an election.

This campaign has been exciting and interesting because for the first time in history a Black man and a Woman are running.  I like both candidates and would be happy with either in the White House, I did vote for Hillary because during the RWCA reauthorization/modernization Act, she voted against one of the proposed legislation because she said, she would not allow 100,000 of her people to go with their HIV services.

David Letterman made a comment last night which sounded like a possible opening to Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton running together as President and Vice President.  She said no matter what happens, Obama will always be her friend but she would choose Letterman or Regis.  ;D.

There are a couple of issues on the California ballot which I find interesting, Props 94, 95. 96, and 97 on Indian gaming.  Both sides have advertised on every commercial break on every TV channel for months.  Both sides have Indian rights activists, teachers, firemen asking to support yes and to support no on these 4 measures.  With all the money spent, I was not convinced either way and Arnold Schwartzenegger did endorse a yes vote so I made a decision to vote no on all 4 measures.  Have the best day
Michael
(who will be glued to the news tonight)

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2008, 06:10:56 pm »
Those who seem so ready for the Democrats to "take over" should review the record of the past year where they have controlled the Congress......accomplishments...virtually none....spent millions on some "investigations" which did nothing but spend money and waste time.... tried to push an agenda of higher taxes that was foiled by the Democratic  Senate...tried to couple lots of "pet projects" to essential legislation which only got them more entries in the official " Golden Fleece Book" published in Washington... If they win in November expect more of the same... another year of" investigations",  long lists of "bring home the bacon" type programs and little or no movement on the real issues....Social Security, Medicare, tax reduction, funding the infrastructure,Immigration reform, and many others.....  BTW  they won't "pull out of Iraq" and then spend the money on the social programs....and they won't "balance the budget"   Remember we still have International agreements to honor..we support our troops and other countries in many places..Germany , England, Italy, Japan, Okinawa, and a few others...so be careful what you wish for>>>>>

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2008, 07:07:15 pm »

Results are coming in :

Obama wins Georgia :

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23006750/?GT1=10856

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2008, 07:34:37 pm »
Those who seem so ready for the Democrats to "take over" should review the record of the past year where they have controlled the Congress......accomplishments...virtually none....spent millions on some "investigations" which did nothing but spend money and waste time.... tried to push an agenda of higher taxes that was foiled by the Democratic  Senate...tried to couple lots of "pet projects" to essential legislation which only got them more entries in the official " Golden Fleece Book" published in Washington... If they win in November expect more of the same... another year of" investigations",  long lists of "bring home the bacon" type programs and little or no movement on the real issues....Social Security, Medicare, tax reduction, funding the infrastructure,Immigration reform, and many others.....  BTW  they won't "pull out of Iraq" and then spend the money on the social programs....and they won't "balance the budget"   Remember we still have International agreements to honor..we support our troops and other countries in many places..Germany , England, Italy, Japan, Okinawa, and a few others...so be careful what you wish for>>>>>

Nick

Please tell the thousands of people living with HIV/AIDS in Sacramento, Santa Clara and Sonoma Counties that losing the funding which pays for their health care and support services in a Republican administration is for the greater good.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline ademas

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2008, 10:36:11 pm »
BREAKING NEWS!

Romney wins Utah!!

Offline Ric Wilke

• I joined AIDSmed.com 10/2002.
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2008, 11:17:50 pm »
We vote here in Wisconsin on Feb 19th.  We can't cross over the party line.  If you like a Republican, you have to vote straight Republican, same is true for a Democrate choice.

As Log Cabin Republicans, we will be voting for Sen Hillary Clinton.  (My father will never speak to me again if he reads this.)  Republicans be damned!  Enough is enough.

And, Fuckabee should hang his head in shame and with tail between his legs go home.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2008, 11:32:00 pm »

Nick

Nick, you obviously slept through the six years of the Republican controlled house and senate. To point out the mistakes in your post would take longer than six years, so I'll leave it at that.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 11:33:56 pm by Dachshund »

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2008, 11:52:34 pm »
I voted for Obama, I was for Hilary until that South Carolina Event.
Positive since 1985

Offline DCGUY2007

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2008, 04:05:14 am »
I will vote next Tuesday. Go Democrats!!!

Offline Cliff

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2008, 05:41:37 am »
A close race, but looks like Clinton won where she needed to win (despite losing more states and more delegates to Obama).  I guess her nomination is now likely to happen.  Maybe I'll vote Republican.  20 years of bushes and clintons is too much.

And I guess Mccain will win the Republican nomination.

>:(

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2008, 06:17:48 am »
Maybe I'll vote Republican.  20 years of bushes and clintons is too much.

Oh Jesus H. Particular Christ, Cliffie!

You voted for that brain-dead oaf who calls himself the current Mayor of New York City and look where that went. Straight down the shitter. Fucker couldn't even bring himself to stay in the Republican party. Now he's an independent joke rather than a partisan one.

And that's a fine distinction.

The bottom line is that you Demonkrats are spoiled for choice at this election. You have two excellent candidates on offer, a veritable embarrassment of riches so to speak, and you'd seriously consider voting for that drooling, senile moron McCain?

Because let's face it, neither that redneck Jesus freak Huckabee or the Mormon spiv are gonna get the nod.

The man was a fraud in the 2004 primaries and he's a fraud today. He sat out the Vietnam war in some cushy Vietcong prison rather than slaughtering the foot-soldiers of the Red Peril as he was sent to do. Even that perfumed gigolo John Kerry managed to get some notches on his belt during the war.

It's about time that progressive Americans stopped fretting about whether their nominee for November 4th 2008 is the closet muslim or the lesbian. It doesn't matter which one you elect, either will go on to be one of the most outstanding Chief Executives your nation has ever produced.

MtD

« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 06:19:24 am by matty.the.damned »

Offline jack

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2008, 10:10:35 am »
I am to the point where my vote will depend on which candidate I least want to listen to or view on TV. That would be the Clintons. Please no more Bushes or Clintons. Please. I cant take the drama. Our government has become so huge it is impossible for anyone to stop it from increasing,so wtf, might as well join the crowd.
I think most here would love McCain as President since most conservatives hate him. He has been instrumental in passing many bills without Rep support, the campaign finance bill is the one that comes quickly to mind. A disaster for anyone who believes in the freedom of speech and elections,but it hides McCains involvement in Keating 5.
Obama is a nice speaker but really says less than Willy used to, and has less experience at anything important than Hillary, if that is possible.
McCain is most popular with those who consider themselves moderates, people who really have no core beliefs,they just want to get along to get along. On the other hand McCain seems  a lot like the walking corpse Bob Dole

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2008, 10:20:30 am »
Jakey you know I love you, but be honest; you and your kind are nothing but ornaments in this election cycle.

You look good, but ultimately you're useless.

Your party is on a hiding to nothing, and there seems to be a swing on. It's gonna be a LIEbral DEMONkrat in the White Hizzy come January 20 2009.

And even if it isn't, the best your party can do is John McCain.

Which is much the same thing. :)

MtD
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 12:15:55 pm by matty.the.damned »

Offline jack

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2008, 10:27:58 am »
and we have GW to thank for that. A liberal big spender who masqueraded as a Conservative and crippled those who believe in freedom,small government,the value of the individual,and of course low taxes. I loved Reagan but his biggest mistake was putting a big government guy like Bush on the ticket from the Rockefeller wing of the party.
I look forward to having a Dem in office. My very best years financially were during the Carter and Clinton years(until the recession started in 1999). I go with the flow. There are usually more opps to profit when Dems are in office if you can find the right one to grease.

Offline Robert

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2008, 11:35:12 am »
Hey Cliff.

Don't worry.   It's still way too early to call.  This is going to be a great primary season.  First  time in recent memory (which, when it comes to me really isn't saying much) it's ever been this close.

According to the SF Chronicle:

National Delegate Totals

Total   2,025 needed

Barack Obama          709
Hillary  Clinton            783
John Edwards         26

Right now it's going to be day-by-day and week-by week. 

Next week Chesapeake Bay States

Maybe by May we'll have an answer.

Who knows?  It may come down to S. Dakota in June.

robert
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 11:42:28 am by Robert »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2008, 12:21:01 pm »
I love all of our resident Log Cabin Sodomites who are willing to vote for someone who still supports DADT in 2008.  Not to mention McCain does this while it's a barely kept secret that he maintains a staff of fags in his congressional office.

Can someone supporting John McCain please state his stance on funding DOMESTIC HIV programs?

Offline jack

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2008, 02:12:51 pm »
everyone has their hand out.  Most people now vote for whoever will give them something for nothing. What a sad state of affairs. Why dont you ask McCain? He will probably support whatever you want to get your vote just like any good democrat.
The Dems are running a one term Senator with absolutely no experience at anything and another who was married to an expresident who is a short term Senator with absolutely no experience at anything. Yeah,thats gonna be one helluva of race.
The Republicans are running a guy who was the only Rep indicted in the Keating 5(the story goes the dems made a deal if investigators would let hero John Glenn off they would POW McCain off) and a guy who is running on his record as a POW. WTF is going on?
Hell, even GW and Willy had more real world experience than both Dems.
HIllary stated the other day she would freeze interest rates for 5 years. Do you realize how disastrous that would be? Today she said something about freezing subprime foreclosures for several months. Also disastrous. The government can not save us from our own mistakes. Freezing interest rates would cause a world wide depression overnight.  I would love to see a woman as President, but I would hope it isnt one whose only business experience was turning 10,000 to 100,000 in commodities in several days.

Offline minismom

« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2008, 04:56:50 pm »
2025 delegates needed for democrat nomination.  Only 1190 for Republicans.  Just an FYI.

Mum
www.watoto.com

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2008, 05:18:08 pm »
I am very aware of the lousy record that several administrations both Democrat and Republican have been responsible for over the past 25 years.....my comments about the current Congress simply highlighted that I don't expect anything to change if the Dems win...something I think is probable...The current list of candidates leave  many issues  open or simply ignored.....campaign promises are an Oxymoron...the actual record is what counts..I expect we will have to have a major financial crisis to spark any real activity on the issues that can help the country the most....Issues like "universal Healthcare" have been around for years in both parties...no one has stepped up to the way to pay...lowering taxes is such a sad tag line that I don't think anyone even hears that one anymore...and of course fixing the infrastructure that was essentially authorized and started to be  built in the Eisenhower days will be constantly put off  or "studied" because there is no nice neat way to "share " the huge amounts of money that will cost..highways and airports especially the Air control system are falling apart and have long since been obsolete...   heard any candidates step up to these issues....????

The issues that specifically concern many of us , especially the support for HIV treatment/ cure will never make the "promise " list,  only the constant   background activism that exists and  steady support will accomplish that....I hope that one and all have taken advantage of the easy and effective "write you representative" thread in the Activism thread...

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline David_CA

« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2008, 05:27:43 pm »
It doesn't seem like elections and candidates are really any different now than in the past.  They've all had issues and skeletons in their closets.  Corruption is nothing new.  Neither are BS promises.  What's seems to make things different now is the internet and the media.  We just hear and read about the crap now. 

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2008, 05:29:53 pm »
We seem to have plenty of dough for this...

http://www.nationalpriorities.org/costofwar_home

Offline fearless

« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2008, 05:36:21 pm »
I won't comment on any of the candidates as it's really not my concern and I know so little about what they stand for. But, man, when I see the long, seemingly tedious and drawn out process you guys have to go through every 4 years just to nominate a candidate for each party I'm glad our Parliament appoints our Head of State. It's one less money wasting nomination/election exercise that we have to worry about.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Jody

« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2008, 06:20:31 pm »
I voted for Clinton as she is the Senator from my home state, New York.  But I will be glad to back Obama.  Obama did well yesterday, especially in states that had caucuses...He also won Connecticut, which had to really shock Hillary...He won Missouri as well and has some momentum.  Hopefully Huckabee and his theocratic and very anti gay rights principles for governing will fade, though you have to give him some credit for going as far as he has on a shoestring budget.

Get ready for more mud slinging and those TV commercials as the year goes on.

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.