Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:52:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 353
Total: 354

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: was i at risk?  (Read 12840 times)

Offline howie

• Standard
was i at risk?
« on: July 01, 2009, 09:18:25 am »
i am in my late twenties and a homosexual. i had an hiv antibody test on me this week and the result was negative. i still have to do another test in 3 months (the clinic where i went to suggested 6 months) since I had oral/anal sex for the previous 3 months. i have a couple of questions that i hope you could shed light on.

1. i had oral and anal sex with my bf who i have since broken off with. We always practiced safe sex. During a couple of our encounters, I bled from the anus but the condom did not break. was i at risk?

2. i had a one night stand with a guy. we had oral and anal sex. we used condoms. when i did oral sex on him i tasted precum on 2 instances. the first one i spit and the second one i swallowed using saliva. i have bad gums (my gums bleed when i brush my teeth although i did not brush before i performed oral sex). was i at risk?

i'm scared that i might have been infected with hiv.

please help!

thanks.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: was i at risk?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 09:41:37 am »
Howie,

You have not been at risk for hiv infection. You don't need futher testing at this time. Condoms have been proven to prevent hiv infection. It doesn't matter if you bled or not afterwards, you were still protected by the condom.

As for giving oral, the risk here is more theoretical than real. When it's said that poor oral health can make it a risk, they don't mean if your gums bleed when you brush, they mean if you have really terrible oral health, like meth mouth. (see photo below) While you'd be wise to not blow anyone immediately after brushing your teeth, you don't need to worry about brushing them earlier.

We even have studies that support this. There have been long-term studies of couples where one is positive and one is negative. In the couples who used condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, but no barrier for oral activities, not one of the negative partners became infected with hiv. Not one.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

ALTHOUGH YOU DO NOT NEED FURTHER HIV TESTING AT THIS TIME, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann

[attachment deleted by admin]
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 09:41:41 am »
The key element in what you have written is that you and your ex and your one-nighter both used condoms for anal intercourse. Condoms provide very effective protection.

As far as giving oral is concerned the risk is really more theoretical than actual. Your saliva has over a dozen elements and proteins which very effective prevent the transmission of viable HIV. Can it happen? Sure, but in the real world of HIV we know that it's about unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse.

From what you have reported I do expect you will test negative. Keep using those condoms everytime no matter whom youi are with.

Good luck on your test if you decide to re-test. It's strictly for your peace of mind and not because you had a risk.

Cheers.  
Andy Velez

Offline howie

• Standard
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 08:39:52 pm »
Ann/Andy,

Thanks for the reply. It was a confidence booster. I was getting very paranoid and had mild anxiety attacks. It's pretty hard since I live independently, in the closet, and no support group.

Howie

Offline howie

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 06:13:33 pm »
I'm back. One more question though. I know that using condoms during insertive sex is very effective in preventing HIV infection. But is there a possibility that one could be infected when using condoms? What comes to mind is only when the condom breaks/torn (fringe loop on the penis) during sex. Am I correct? Also, Is it true that the virus cannot wiggle itself out of the condom through the "miniscule" holes in the rubber like for instances when a girl gets pregnant even though the condom did not break?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 06:15:01 pm »
Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 06:33:37 pm »
We're not interested in the what ifs and other speculations you and your fears may come up with. We deal with what happened.

You had protected intercourse. There is no cause for further concern about this incident. PERIOD.

Get on with your life. 
Andy Velez

Offline howie

• Standard
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 11:37:41 am »
hi. i'm back. in a few weeks i will be having myself tested again for hiv. it will be my second. the first was in june. it was a rapid testing.

my question is i just learned that the kit they used was 85% accurate. now, i am scared that my result was a false negative. could that be possible? it was always on my mind that when you test negative there is no possibility that it is negative. that is why when you test positive, they take another blood sample for confirmatory tests because the positive result may have been false.

please clear this up for me. im scared.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 12:18:37 pm »
Reread the replies you've been given, at no time were you at risk nor did you need any testing.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 02:45:20 pm »
As long as a test is done at the appropriate time a negative is a negative. The problem with testing is the occasional false positive or someone testing too early for a reliable result.

In your case all of the above are irrelevant because you didn't have a risk to begin with. So testing for you is strictly for your peace of mind and not because there was a real risk. Obviously testing has only stirred up more doubts and fears on your part.

There really is nothing more we can tell you beyond that you didn't have a risk and testing is not necessary.
Andy Velez

Offline howie

• Standard
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 11:20:43 pm »
hi. i performed oral sex on a man and he was a bit rough especially when he wanted to deep throat. Within the duration of oral sex I take a break to spit and gargle water. I noticed that there was blood (only once - i took a break 4-5x). Is there reason to worry? Should I get myself tested in 3 months?

I know hiv transmission in oral sex is only theoretical.  I'm just scared because I bled. Also, he came in my mouth but I didn't swallow.

Please help.

Thanks.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 05:28:16 am »
Howie,

As you know, giving oral is only a theoretical risk. It's totally up to you whether or not you test over this. And yes, I saw the bit where you mentioned blood. The mouth is a very inhospitable environment for hiv, whether or not there's a tiny bit of blood present.

Anyone who is sexually active should be testing for ALL STIs at least once a year, so if you do go test, make sure you're testing for everything as part of your yearly check-up. I hope you're aware that you're much more likely to end up with oral gonorrhea than you are to end up with hiv through giving blowjobs. Gonorrhea doesn't always have symptoms no matter where in the body it is, so get checked.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline howie

• Standard
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 07:16:17 pm »
thanks ann. i appreciate your reply.

one more thing though. this is more for my peace of mind. it doesn't really matter if i spit or swallow or let it stay in the mouth for a few seconds right? i was still not at risk?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 07:21:14 pm »
That's right. Still not a risk.

But you're worried enough about it so that I guess testing and getting the inevitable negative result maybe what you need to let go of this concern and move on.

And yes, I expect you will test negative.
Andy Velez

Offline howie

• Standard
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 06:26:43 pm »
hi andy. i bottomed to 2 different guys in march and october this year. i am 100% sure they we wearing condoms. after ejaculating and pulling out i took a look at the c0ndom when it was still on them and i am 100% sure the tip was intact and the semen was safely inside the condom. im sure they did not remove and slip the condom back on the entire time we were having sex. is there any possibility i could be infected? im getting paranoid as im into 3 weeks after i last bottomed and i have this sore in my gums.

thank you.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 08:19:37 pm »
hi andy. i bottomed to 2 different guys in march and october this year. i am 100% sure they we wearing condoms. after ejaculating and pulling out i took a look at the c0ndom when it was still on them and i am 100% sure the tip was intact and the semen was safely inside the condom. im sure they did not remove and slip the condom back on the entire time we were having sex. is there any possibility i could be infected? im getting paranoid as im into 3 weeks after i last bottomed and i have this sore in my gums.

thank you.

You just described protected sex, and there is not a risk of HIV infection from protected sex.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline howie

• Standard
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2012, 05:29:10 am »
is there a possibility i could be infected due to cuts on the base of the insertive partner's penis? I read from another post that what's important is the head of the penis was covered but that was for heterosexual sex. Does that apply to homosexual sex too?

thanks.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2012, 07:06:53 am »
Howie,

When it comes to gay sex and condom usage, the ONLY difference is the fact that you must make sure there is plenty of lube being used. The vagina produces its own lubricant while the anus doesn't (at least not in enough quantities). Even with vaginal intercourse plenty of lube is still recommended, but lube is absolutely crucial when it comes to anal.

You're worrying unnecessarily when it comes to cuts on the base of the penis, whether it's the top or bottom's penis.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. IT REALLY IS THAT SIMPLE!!!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline howie

• Standard
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2012, 08:47:13 am »
to clarify. this means i wasnt at risk since the condom was intact and the head of the penis was covered the entire time. right?

my apologies for being such a pain. i had muscle pains and lbm and canker sore 2-3 weeks after my last sex and its making me a bit paranoid.

thank you.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2012, 10:33:48 am »
Howie,

You weren't at risk. End of story.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline howie

• Standard
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2014, 06:56:26 pm »
Hi!

I know this in question is incredibly stupid but I'll throw it your way still. I recently went to a gay sauna/bathhouse and used the toilet bidet. I inserted the nozzle up my anus. Is it possible that I can get infected by HIV by that action?

Thank you.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2014, 07:04:44 pm »
Hi!

I know this in question is incredibly stupid but I'll throw it your way still. I recently went to a gay sauna/bathhouse and used the toilet bidet. I inserted the nozzle up my anus. Is it possible that I can get infected by HIV by that action?

Thank you.

No it was not a risk ... you cant get HIV off environmental surfaces . You have been around here long enough to know that only unprotected anal and vaginal sex and sharing IV drug injection rigs are a risk for HIV so don't get started asking questions you know the answers too or has been already addressed . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline howie

• Standard
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2018, 05:43:25 pm »
Hi!

I have the following encounters a few months back:

1. I had protected sex with a guy of unknown HIV status. He wanted to ejeculate in my back and I let him. I also ejaculated in the same position but when ejaculating, he suddenly placed his finger, possibly with semen, inside my anus. We had a short chat later and he assured me didn’t have any semen on his fingers.

2. A week later I had another encounter with a guy of unknown HIV status. No penetration happened but when we were having shower together he was nudging my ass with his finger when suddeny I felt his penis. I’m sure he didn’t penerate me since I would have felt him enter.

Was I at risk on both occasions? A week or two after these encounters, I had diarrhea for almost 2 weeks. Is this a symptom that I am sero-converting? I didn’t shiw any of the other flu-like symptoms when sero-converting.

Please help.  I’ve always used 100% of the time condoms when having sex and I’m scared I’m infected because of those encounters just described.

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2018, 06:22:05 pm »
No, you are not at risk of HIV-contraction from the incidents you have described in your post.

Firstly, you had protected sex when it mattered. 

As for the "fingering," the HIV is fragile and would not survive in any viable manner to infect you after it had been exposed to the ambient environment (i.e., outside the body).

In the second incident, no penetration occurred, so you are not at risk.

Moderators of this forum do not assess symptoms acute HIV-infection, since symptoms, if they occur at all, vary widely.

If you are ill, see your healthcare provide for an appropriate consultation.

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline howie

• Standard
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2018, 09:20:55 pm »
I also gave blow jobs to the guys I previously described. I am still not at risk, right? Unprotected anal sex for guys like me is the real risk?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2018, 09:36:42 pm »
Howie.

All of this has been asked and answered before reading back your thread, anal sex, HIV exposed outside the human body, blowjobs etc etc etc, so what has you so worried that you are asking about the same activities again?

Have you perhaps considered taking daily PrEP as an additional layer of protection against HIV but in addition maybe it would give you peace of mind going forward?

Anyhow to answer the question, giving a blowjob is a near negligible concern, we don't recommend testing over it or loosing any sleep. The mouth generally without damage lacks the cells for HIV to infect (route) and even then saliva is also hostile towards HIV. Just test whenever next normally routinely due for a check-up, no need to stress.

Unprotected vaginal or anal intercourse however meets all the biological requirements for acquiring HIV and is globally the main route of HIV infection.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, every time, no exceptions. Consider starting PrEP as an additional layer of HIV protection going forward.

Keep in mind that some sexual practices which may be described as ‘safe’ in terms of HIV transmission might still pose a risk for transmission of other STI's, so please do get fully tested regularly and at least yearly for all STI's including but not limited to HIV and test more frequently if unprotected intercourse occurs
Also note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms and the only way of knowing is by testing.

More information on HIV Basics, PEP, TaSP and Transmission can be found through the links in my signature to our POZ pages, this includes information on HIV Testing

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the AM I Infected Forum you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here . It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be deleted.

HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline howie

• Standard
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2018, 10:04:33 pm »
What got me worried was the almost 2-week diarrhea I had a week after those encounters. I know symptoms are not a gauge for sero-converting. Some may show sogns, others don’t. I think I’m just letting my paranoia get the better of me.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2018, 10:22:46 pm »
I hear you but please understand diarrhea happens to people all the time, half the people at work had the shits last week, i very much doubt they all spontaneously developed HIV simultaneously and if they did, well I would be really pissed off as I was not invited to the fun group event leading to this mass transmission  ;D

Look its the winter, people get sick, it happens. See your regular doctor and treat whatever is the cause and try not to let the fears get the better of you.

I do hope you feel better soon.

I think I’m just letting my paranoia get the better of me.

Even more reason to really start thinking about PrEP going forward,and the peace of mind it might give you. Perhaps next time you are seeing a doctor you could talk to them about if PrEP would be suitable for you and the availability of PrEP in your area?

Take it easy

Jim

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline howie

• Standard
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2018, 09:04:08 am »
Thanks, Jim. I would definitely consider PrEP in the future.

By the way, I just remembered that when he pulled out the condom was hanging in my ass (condom slippage) and I had to literally pull it out. Is this something I should be concerned about? I’m pretty sure the condom was intact during the intercourse because I kept holding on to the condom base and asking him if the condom was still in place.

I’m so sorry I’m so paranoid.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2018, 09:12:01 am »
Slipping out during withdraw, no concern

Look if he or you had to go fishing to find the condom afterwards, so totally come off and diapered north it could be a risk. Now before you now start thinking that happened, ill beat you to it and say it did not! ;) So relax and move on, stop looking to find an issue.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline howie

• Standard
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2018, 09:43:37 am »
Thanks again, Jim. You’ve been very helpful.

I admit that it always scares the hell out of me when I read posts on twitter of guys who have always used protection and were confused why they were still infected with HIV. I visit this forum as my “place” of solace, to remind me that the stories of these guys may crumble when carefully scrutinized (this I read in one of the threads in this forum) and that there have been studies done before that concludes oral sex is very low risk with none of the non-infected partners in the study infected by their HIV-positive partners.

I will definitely get myself tested for my peace of mind.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2018, 10:00:02 am »
You're welcome.

Twitter ... aha, yeah.

Look stop reading stories, focus on yourself and reducing your own risks. That is what safer sex is all about, reducing risk. So start thinking about PrEP going forward, and the peace of mind it might give you and continue to use condoms correctly as its simple, as long as the male latex condom does not shred during intercourse they are impermeable to HIV contained in genital secretions.

The problem with stories are many reasons why someone would rather not admit to an exposure or the full truth, or they don't know how to use condoms (No joke) Or what i see often when talking to people face to face, is they mistakenly don't think that someone they know, is married, is nice or themselves was tested recently is a risk when it fact this all means nothing as HIV simply does not care about such things.

Also being newly diagnosed is difficult enough time on its own, for some it is a time of struggling with deep fear of HIV stigma, social judgment & self stigma but also  things like sexuality, religion, family, sexual relationships etc etc come into play as well and for others even legal fears.

End of the day there is allot of misinformation and stories on the internet and lots of opinions or outdated data that get passed around as facts, when its basically nonsense or irrelevant to you or your situation. It lacks the context needed to apply it to anything.

Relax take it easy, test whenever next due, look after yourself and if you want to read "stories" below are a few fun ones:

https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eclinm.2018.08.001

STI Risk Perception in the British Population and How It Relates to Sexual Behaviour and STI Healthcare Use: Findings From a Cross-sectional Survey (Natsal-3)

We have identified falsely optimistic views of personal STI risk among a substantial proportion of those at risk of STIs in the British population, which could have a negative impact on efforts to promote safe sex and STI testing, and the control of STIs.

Among those classed as having ‘unsafe sex’ in the past year (comprising approximately 1 in 5 sexually-active 16–44-year-olds), 39.2% of men and 51.0% of women rated themselves as not at all at risk of STIs [/u]
[/b]

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0032885517753163

Underreporting in HIV-Related High-Risk Behaviors: Comparing the Results of Multiple Data Collection Methods in a Behavioral Survey of Prisoners in Iran

Participants reported more sexual contact in prison for their friends than they did for themselves. In men, NSU provided lower estimates than direct questioning, whereas in women NSU estimates were higher. Different data collection methods provide different estimates and collectively offer a more comprehensive picture of HIV-related risk behaviors in prisons.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5268760/

Socially desirability response bias and other factors that may influence self-reports of substance use and HIV risk behaviors: A qualitative study of drug users in Vietnam

The accuracy of self-report data may be marred by a range of cognitive and motivational biases, including social desirability response bias

http://emj.bmj.com/content/35/1/46
Self-perceived risk of STIs in a population-based study of Scandinavian women

Subjective perception of risk for STI was associated with women’s current risk-taking behaviours, indicating women generally are able to assess their risks for STIs. However, a considerable proportion of women with multiple new partners in the last 6 months and no condom use still considered themselves at no/low risk for STI.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/09540121.2017.1384787

Social desirability bias and underreporting of HIV risk behaviors are significant challenges to the accurate evaluation of HIV prevention programs for orphans and vulnerable children (OVC) in sub-Saharan Africa

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28509997

Social Desirability Bias and Prevalence of Sexual HIV Risk Behaviors Among People Who Use Drugs in Baltimore, Maryland: Implications for Identifying Individuals Prone to Underreporting Sexual Risk Behaviors.

2017 --In regards to STI's
https://journals.lww.com/stdjournal/toc/2017/07000
Sexually Transmitted Diseases: July 2017 - Volume 44 - Issue 7 - p 390–392

Is Patient-Reported Exposure a Reliable Indicator for Anogenital Gonorrhea and Chlamydia Screening in Young Black Men Who Have Sex With Men?

Among 485 young black men who have sex with men recruited in Jackson, MS, 90-day anal sexual exposure significantly predicted rectal infection, but 19.4% of rectal infections would have been missed among men denying receptive anal sex. Reports of consistent condom use were associated with lower infection rates only in men reporting insertive anal sex.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0010782416305418
Could misreporting of condom use explain the observed association between injectable hormonal contraceptives and HIV acquisition risk?

Jim - Not a conclusive or in depth study but under the study participants it did find: 9 out of every 20 sex acts reported with condoms are actually unprotected

The Validity of Teens’ and Young Adults’ Self-reported Condom Use
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapediatrics/articlepdf/380711/poa80067_61_64.pdf

A significant degree of discordance between self-reports of consistent condom use and YcPCR positivity was observed. Several rival explanations for the observed discordance exist, including (1) teens and young adults inaccurately reported condom use; (2) teens and young adults used condoms consistently but
used them incorrectly, resulting in user error; and (3) teens and young adults responded with socially desirable answers

BMC Public Health 2007
https://bmcpublichealth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-2458-7-60

Analyses of data from the Demographic and Health Surveys, Sexual Behaviour Surveys and from other countries show a similar pattern indicating under-reporting
It is probable that as HIV campaigns encouraging delayed sexual debut and abstinence before marriage reach the population, people will report behaviour
assumed to be more socially desirable.

there are some signs of differential reporting bias in our study. We found that controlling for less risky sexual behaviour substantially reduced the association between HIV and survey time among urban men, but less so among women; this may suggest that self-reports from men about sexual behaviour are more reliable. Studies suggest that respondents, especially women, tend to under-report the number of lifetime sexual partners . Therefore, analyses of associations with, and changes in, self-reported sexual behaviour should be interpreted with caution.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2957626/

Self-presentation bias (wishing to be viewed in a positive light) may result in patients underreporting behaviors they perceive to be stigmatizing

Approximately a third of the men in the sample reported that they did not disclose all of their risk behaviors to the HIV counselor during the face-to-face risk assessment. These results echo similar studies of risk disclosure to medical providers

« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 10:02:11 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline howie

• Standard
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2020, 10:34:58 am »
Hello again!

I’ve been taking PrEP daily since April 2019 and have used condoms in my sexual encounters. My last HIV test was in October 2019 and the result was negative.

Earlier today (January 2, 2020) I had an encounter where my insertive partner, who was using condom during the entire encounter until he ejaculated, started to bareback soon after ejaculating. I told him to stop after a few seconds.

Now I’m getting anxious that the PrEP I took could not fully protect me from getting HIV. I know that those taking PrEP 7x a week is 99% protected. My fear is could I be the 1% from this statistic? Is my fear valid or I’m just super paranoid? Should I take PEP?

Please help! :-(

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2020, 11:26:37 am »
You are being a tad paranoid to be blunt.

PrEP has a very solid record and as a PrEP user, you should be testing regularly i.e every 3 months. I see no reason to test outside of that routine or to take PEP in your case, ultimately the choice to take PEP or not over this incident is up-to-you.

Best, Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline howie

• Standard
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2020, 04:16:04 pm »
Jim,

Is it correct to assume that I will test negative for HIV in six weeks and 12 weeks? And that those who were infected with HIV while taking PrEP had very little “PrEP” in their system because they have stopped taking it at the time of risky sex (according to studies?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2020, 04:41:10 pm »
Hiya,

I would fully expect a negative result if what you posted is accurate.

I reviewed this in-depth recently, Nov 2019. Now PrEP is highly effective, although it's not a guarantee. I counted about 31 cases of PrEP failing from earlier case reports, now before you panic that is an ultra-low number given the number of PrEP users and exposures over the past decade.

More recent case reports often included drug level testing and the trend is indeed mainly suboptimal drug levels i.e not taking the drugs as prescribed or an odd few drugs resist strains causing PrEP to fail.

Overall PrEP remains so highly effective when taken correctly and hence the odds are so small of HIV transmission occurring in your case, I recommend you simply relax and test as standard every 3 months.

No need to run out and conduct additional tests, no need to lose any sleep over this or to stress about it.

Now, if you are looking for a 100% safe sex life, it's going to be a pretty lonely affair. Instead, continue to use condoms and PrEP and test regularly for STI's and HIV.

Jim

« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 04:49:01 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline howie

• Standard
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2020, 05:57:12 pm »
Hey Jim. Apologies for being such a pain. One more clarification - in your last statement you mentioned PrEP is highly effective but not a guarantee. What does it mean by “not a guarantee”?

Thank you for being patient with me.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2020, 06:25:42 pm »
PrEP is not 100% perfect, hence the need for routine screening.
If you are looking for 100% all the time without exception than don't have sex.

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.