Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:14:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 513
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 479
Total: 479

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Reyataz and acid reflux.  (Read 5496 times)

Offline ubotts

Reyataz and acid reflux.
« on: January 10, 2008, 10:20:01 am »
HI all.

Is anyone having the same problem as myself..

Reyataz is a new cocktail of mine along with Norvir an truvada..

I believe its the Reyataz giving me such acid reflux, than I usually throw up after
my meals now..with a burning liquid so strong, I swear it took some enamel off my bottom front teeth.......that's how strong this is.

I was giving Pepcid,,which does nothing..
I was on Previciad which really worked, but when they switched my cocktail to reyataz that's when the problems became much worse.

I have a hiadle hernia, plus being on this new med..the doctor said I cant take previcad
anymore and gave me pepcid..........NO GOOD............

What to do...what to do.....Help..any suggestion..

Oh btw, I did go to a natural health store and by papaya pills, which is an alternative to
using western meds, but that's not even helping...

So please if you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them..
                       thank you 8)
Live Love Laugh and dance like no ones watching.
Laughter is the best medicine, so try to have a laugh everyday..Even if your not feeling your best, think about something that was funny at one time in your life and work with it..   :o)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: Reyataz and acid reflux.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 12:55:06 am »
My word Ubotts! You've been having quite a bad time lately. I sure hope things get better for you real quick.  ;)

I have a similar problem 6-12 times a month. I've always thought it was from the Norvir though, as I could swear sometimes that I can tell exactly when that gelcap has burst in my stomach - or worse, further up in my esopghaus!(when it's gotten "stuck" going down - it'll happen sometimes. none of these pills ever go down nicely ALL the time. LOL)

(I'm on Reyataz, Norvir, Viread, Viramune, Videx EC
I take my Videx first thing in the morning, because it can't be taken with food and I don't eat breakfast, so it works out okay along with a Viramune, some Bactrim and Acycolvir)

Since Reyataz needs to be taken with food, I take Reyataz, Norvir, Viread, and another Viramune, and Acyclovir at dinner. To avoid the problem with the Norvir, I always take it with a full dinner. I'm just a skinny guy (130lbs) and usually just "nibble" throughout the day; but I always plan on a decent size dinner. About halfway through the meal, after I've got a fair amount of food in my stomach, I take my Reyataz, Viread, and Norvir. Really quickly afterwards, I shovel in the rest of my meal to "cover up" those pills in my stomach. Most days, everything stays down (including my viral load, since the meds stay in me too). But some days, I don't eat enough or something, and anywhere from 10-45 minutes later, I can feel that gelcap burst, and I end up throwing up. Rarely do I throw up my dinner; but many times it's just liquid and very bitter.

Once in a full blue moon, I'll throw up first thing in the morning too. I'll wake up hot, flushed and feeling queasy. Many times after I throw up (that same bittery liquid), I'll feel fine (or at least much better) within an hr or so.

I have no clue about why I'll barf first thing in the morning; but for me there does seem to be some correlation between the Norvir, how much (and what) I put in my stomach, and whether I throw up.

I've been on other meds and had much worse side effects. This is the first regimen that has gotten my viral load down to undetectable after 10-12 yrs worth of meds. I just try to figure out what foods my meds don't seem to agree with (some tomato sauces, garlic, cinnamon) and plan to eat enough each dinner to keep the meds happily buried in my stomach.

Don't know if any of that might apply in your situation; but at least I can sympathize with you. ;)  ;D

mikie
(who eats a lot of mashed potatos to keep his meds down where they belong ;) )
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline ubotts

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 07:07:40 am »
I am thinking its the reyataz, never even gave norvir a thought..
Truvada is cool..no side effects there.
today I go to the drs. office and there going to change my meds...
Now, i am not sure weather its the norvir of the reyataz harming my stomach..
Guess the doctor will help me to find out....thank you for your imput
Laughter is the best medicine, so try to have a laugh everyday..Even if your not feeling your best, think about something that was funny at one time in your life and work with it..   :o)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 10:41:46 am »
it's so confusing sometimes because these meds seems to affect many people a little different with the side effects. I hope your doctor can help out some and get you onto something that won't make you throw up.

I quit a lot of meds over the years because so many made me throw up. Even though I'm still barfing some now (half a doz times or more a month), my current regimen seems about the best I could get with good results and as few side effects as possible.

I do hope your doctor can help you. You've had a tough time lately, and deserve to get a break.   ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline sacinsc

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 11:39:49 am »
I am on the same cocktail, but no acid reflux. Well I had some but it went away. I think it was because I was taking it with a lot of food. I learned to NOT take it with any food, but a few hours after I ate. I was getting really bad stomach cramps when I took it with food. Doctor told me I could not take any anti-acids because the meds need the acid really badly to break down. So I take nothing but milk when I have acid in my throat. Only thing I have noticed is sometimes now I have green, I mean green poop. I think thats odd but its not hurting me. I know another guy who takes this cocktail and he has no side effects with it either.

I hope it gets better for you :)

Matt
March 07 - Negative
May 07 - Exposed
June 07 - Seroconversion
September 07 - CD4 402 VL 118000 25%
October 07 -     CD4 294 VL 124000 22%
November 07 - Norvir, Triuvada and Reyataz
December 07 -  CD4 355 VL  550 .... guess the meds are working.
January 08 - CD4 446 VL <48 undetectable!
April 08 - CD4 554 VL <48 undetectable!
July 08 - CD4 666 VL <48 undetectable! Hporay...I have devil CD4's

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 04:28:21 pm »
Doctor told me I could not take any anti-acids because the meds need the acid really badly to break down. So I take nothing but milk when I have acid in my throat. Only thing I have noticed is sometimes now I have green, I mean green poop. I
I hope it gets better for you :)

Matt

This is why I had to switch to Lexiva. The Reyataz didn't cause the acid reflux. I had it to begin with. But I couldn't take my stomach pill with the Reyataz and, after a while, it was just more than I could handle.

Lexiva is working great for me thus far, no side effects and I can take my stomach meds again.

Ubotts, honey, you need to have a heart-to-heart with your doc if you are having this much trouble.

Good luck and keep us posted.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline ubotts

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 08:43:20 pm »
 :)
Ok..
Did the right thing, got off reyataz and i am on Lexia...Truvada and Norvir stayed the same.

The Doctor was worried because I am allergic to batrium, and Lexia has some sulfates in it.
She suggested if I would like to go back to Kaletra.. ???

I said NO NOT REALLY.... ???...I want to get away from anything with azt in it, and plus get off some of these meds that put weight on my body that I try hard to avoid..

So I told her I will try Lexia, and if something happens Ill call you...

Its something I  just had to do and try...If it doesnt work, well then, ill try something else
till my body gets it right.... ;)

I have a fever of 100.3 and have had it for quite awhile..was on Predisone due to inflammed
lungs and asmatha, finished that, and then was put on leviquin 500 mgs antibotic for 2 weeks
and just finished it two days ago.

So, the doctor, didnt want to put me on anymore antibotics.....so she sent me home.. :o
I said ok..no problem..

I am getting better slowly..a little to slow for me, but at least I am making some changes to
help my system..

Then on the 17th, I go for a sonogram to see how my hep c is...

After that a biopsy will be done..

From there, inferon treatments......... :(

The doctor said to me..Hey I have good news for you..I said ok, what..

She replied once your on khemo injections you will lose weight.. >:( If thats good news I said to her please dont tell me what the bad new is..

Then I go to the pharmacy, and the insurance company turned me down to get prevacd..for heartburn.......  >:(

Now I really pissed, tired and reeling from my temperature..........
What a fucked up day..excuse my italian, but I need to vent....

From now on I am taking charge of my life, my doctors, and see how I can deal with these
asshole HMO's...............oy ve WHAT A DAY!!!!!!!!!!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.