Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:01:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 388
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 357
Total: 358

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: tested positive last oct 2011, but scared to go for a checkup until now  (Read 5249 times)

Offline ichigo_kun

i was tested positive last nov 2011  .but didnt go for a checkup or cd4 count,its very hard in my situation because i still dont have open permit or permanent residence here in canada. just working visa. they said you will be deported if you are positive and will never have pr because of very expensive meds.my family didnt know too.
i dont know what to do but just keep on going and pray. i just hope everything will be fine in the future.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: tested positive last oct 2011, but scared to go for a checkup until now
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 05:24:03 am »
Tested  positive by what method of test?

I am sorry you are living in such turmoil and anxiety.  First of all, get yourself an anonymous, but reliable, western blot confirmation that you are HIV+.

Secondly, if you are, or are not HIV+, you need to change the way you are living your life.  When life puts a bit road block in your way, you have to agressively and intelligently get ALL the information from the real sources, about what is possible and what isn't. You have to put all your resources into finding the correct way to going forward, despite the big boulder.

Living with your head in the sand, giving into fear, and second or third hand "info" about what is and isn't possible, is not going to lead to a successful, independent life.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 11:50:15 am »
i was tested positive last nov 2011  .but didnt go for a checkup or cd4 count,its very hard in my situation
instead of posting all that stuff in the research forum, what you should have been doing was getting yourself back to the doctor, confirming the HIV and getting a cd4 count and VL count, so you and the doctor knew your next course of action. A cure, if its too found, is still a long ways away and you're going to have to do something about HIV long before a cure miraculously saves you. Get your head out of the sand and get to a doctor. No one likes the consequences of being infected and having to deal with things; but that's what you need to do - and sooner rather than later.

but just keep on going and pray. i just hope everything will be fine in the future.
HIV doesn't care about your prayers. HIV doesn't care what you hope will happen. HIV is a terminal illness that, unless properly treated, will eventually make you very sick before killing you.

I hope now that you've admitted your fears and owned up to not following through with medical care, that you will listen to our advice and move forward in your life, actively doing something about your situation and taking charge of your life by seeking proper medical attention.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline ichigo_kun

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 01:37:47 pm »
i went to a private clinic for std test. and was tested negative for some std's. then i tried quick hiv test anonymously, but tested positive. so the nurse and the councilor talk to me with some stuff and they need to take more blood for western blot. they sent it to ontario health center and there tested positive. i need to wait for my papers before seeking medical attention or else, ill get deported and loose my job.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 01:45:58 pm by ichigo_kun »

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 02:57:13 pm »
ichigo;

How long are you talking about before you get your papers?

As leatherman noted, at a minimum you really need to know what your CD4 and viral load counts are (and track them every three months or so).  Once you know these you will be able to gauge and track your health care decisions relative to the wait for your papers.

As you can tell, you will get some tough love here if you are postponing some basic health care that could put you at very serious risk - we want you healthy but you have to do your part.

Also, kilofile provided this link to someone else emigrating to Canada.  There may be some useful info and links if don't already have it.

http://www.aidslaw.ca/publications/interfaces/downloadFile.php?ref=2004

JM

03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive
07/11/12 CD4 790          VL 4,000
08/06/12 CD4 816/38%   VL 49,300
08/20/12 Started Complera
11/06/12 CD4   819/41% VL 38
02/11/13 CD4   935/41% VL UD
06/06/13 CD4   816/41% VL UD
10/28/13 CD4 1131/45% VL 25
02/25/14 CD4   792/37% VL UD
07/09/14 CD4 1004/39% VL UD
11/03/14 CD4   711/34% VL UD
03/13/15 CD4   833/36% VL UD
04/??/15 Truvada & Tivicay
06/01/15 CD4 1100/50% VL UD
10/16/15 CD4   826/43% VL UD
??/??/2017 Descov & Tivicay
2017 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850
2018 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850

Offline friskyguy

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 05:24:39 pm »
Immigration rules are always changing. You already having a job and paying taxes may put u in a better light within the rules.

Anyway if the rules are as you say they are, why not say that when the time comes to start meds that you will purchase them from outside Canada (a written guarantee of sorts) and therefore not a burden on their universal medical system.

I am sure there must be a number of ways to prevent deportation. Start researching. In any event take the smart advice of those who have advised you to immediately start taking the proper responsibility for your own health and for those you care about and share your bed.

Shit I have to fly to another country to deal with my HIV needs. There are others who dont even have the available options available to you.

Praying wont help so start to take responsibility now.

Good luck and let us know

Sero converted Sept '10 / Confirmed + Dec '10
Jan '11, VL 9,500 / CD4 482 (32%)
Feb '11, VL 5,800 / CD4 680 (37%)
start Atripla
Mch '11, VL UD / CD4 700 (42%)
Jun  '11, VL UD / CD4 750 (43%)
swap to Kivexa and Efav. due to osteopenia diag. (DEXA) / kidney issues ( decline in eGFR to 77 )
start supplements - Vit D3 / Omega 3 / multivitamin / mini aspirin
Dec '11,  VL UD <20 /  CD4 670 (49%)  / CD4:CD8 = 1.4
all labs now within normal ranges
Mch '12,  VL UD / CD4 600 (51%)
Sep '12,  VL UD / CD4 810 (51%)
Mch '13   VL UD / CD4 965 (56%)
Sep '13   VL UD / CD4 (not taken)
Dec '13   VL UD / CD4 901 (35%) / CD4:CD8 = 1.1  /  eGFR > 100

Offline anmlvrnyc

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 06:00:25 pm »
hi ichigo,
i completely understand what you are going through.
i have a friend in toronto that knows the laws in that regard. i will email him and ask him about your situation and get back to you.
don't be scared. it's not the end of the world no matter what happens to your immigration status. your health is more important.

most asian countries don't allow foreigners with hiv. in order to keep their jobs and their health foreigners with hiv travel to thailand or japan to get their blood work done and meds. a lot of $$$ on traveling and meds of course. but that's their decision and you will have to find a way and make your own decision as to what you want to do. if you look, there is a way.

anyway, i will get back to you.

Offline anmlvrnyc

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 04:41:49 pm »
hi ichigo,
my friend is asking around for more info. but as far as i know every immigration case is handled differently based on your nationality, occupation, current immigration status, your CD4 and VL, etc. it looks like the first thing you need to do is find out what your numbers are and look for your options.
i will repost when i hear back from my friend again. don't stress yourself too much. stress is the worst enemy for us.

Offline anmlvrnyc

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 10:36:29 am »
hi ichigo,
i'm not sure if you are still checking this thread.
i got some info.

HALCO (HIV & AIDS Legal Clinic of Ontario): http://www.halco.org/contact-us

i don't know where in canada you are but you should contact them and get some info. they might be able to help you.
i wish you all the best.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.