Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:27:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 325
Total: 328

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hillary will win Kentucky  (Read 22890 times)

Offline AndyArrow

Hillary will win Kentucky
« on: May 19, 2008, 12:46:13 am »
After a landslide victory in West Virginia, the Clinton Campaign today announced that former Kentucky Governors Wendell Ford, Paul Patton, John Brown, and Julian Carroll are all endorsing Hillary for President.  The endorsements demonstrate the widespread support Hillary continues to receive throughout the Bluegrass State.

Ambassador Joe Wilson and Valerie Plane Wilson believe Hillary Clinton has the strongest plan for ending the Iraq war and are supporting her for President.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 12:52:39 am by AndyArrow »
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Hillary will win Kentucky
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 12:51:36 am »
Meanwhile the Washington Post reported today that Clinton's financial backers have already begun private discussions with Team Obama about folding their operations in with his soon. :)
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 01:05:07 am »
And Obama will probably win but I just love politics so I hope it keeps going!  :)
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 01:11:29 am »
Meanwhile the Washington Post reported today that Clinton's financial backers have already begun private discussions with Team Obama about folding their operations in with his soon. :)

You kind of got it wrong.  This is the direct quote:

Top fundraisers for Sens. Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama have begun private talks aimed at merging the two candidates' teams, not waiting for the Democratic nominating process to end before they start preparations for a hard-fought fall campaign.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 01:22:11 am »
Yeah, but nobody thinks Hillary will win except Hillary and her delusional supporters.  You don't actually think that Obama's financial backers are going into those discussion with any other expectation than what I said?  THEY are not the ones $20 million in debt. Game over, sweetpea.  What are you smoking tonight?

Oh hey, look:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iFR0r8H6W8nb59poWNJ7qF8YApEgD90KABF80

(and this was a week ago)

Barack Obama's wave of superdelegate endorsements puts him within reach of the Democratic presidential nomination by the end of the primary season on June 3 — even if he loses half of the remaining six contests.

The Illinois senator has picked up 26 superdelegates in the past week. At that pace, he will reach the number of delegates needed to clinch the nomination — 2,025 — in the next three weeks, when delegates from the remaining primaries are included.

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 01:38:21 am »
I'm not smoking anything Darlin' and I never said she would win. 

I just want it to continue also please remember that until the convention the superdelegates declared or not have the right to change their mind.  People change their minds all the time.  Heck, Barack Obama vote 3 times for gas tax holiday in Illinois but now he thinks it's a bad idea.   ;)

Again I'm not saying it's going to happen but that it can.

AA

edited for spelling

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 01:41:48 am »
... still delusional

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 01:52:37 am »
... still delusional

You love it!

Kentucky leaders who support Hillary:

Former Governor and Senator Wendell H. Ford
Former Governor John Y. Brown
Former Governor Paul Patton
Former Kentucky First Lady Judy Patton
Former Governor Jullian Carroll
Former Senator Dee Huddleston
Former Lt. Governor Steve Henry
Former Miss America and Community Activist Heather French Henry
Former Kentucky First Lady Phyllis George
House Speaker Jody Richards
Former Attorney General and State Rep. Greg Stumbo
Majority Floor Leader Rep. Rocky Adkins
State Rep. Joni Jenkins

1st Congressional District

Rep. Fred Nessler
Rep. Brent Yonts
Rep. John Arnold
Rep. Will Coursey

2nd Congressional District

Rep. Dottie Simms
Rep. Larry Belcher

3rd Congressional District

Sen. Denise Harper-Angel
Rep. Mary-Lou Marzian
Rep. Tim Firkins
Rep. Steve Riggs
Rep. Tom Burch

4th Congressional District

Rep. Robin Webb

5th Congressional District

Sen. Ray Jones
Rep. John Will Stacy
Rep. Leslie Combs
Rep. Keith Hall
Rep. Rick Nelson

6th Congressional District

Rep. Harry Moberly
Majority Caucus Chairman Rep. Charlie Hoffman
Rep. Carl Rollins
Rep. Don Pasley

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 02:15:25 am »
Honey, WHO CARES ABOUT KENTUCKY?  They don't vote for Democrats in the general election.  Nor does West Virginia or *cough* Indiana.

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 02:19:56 am »
Oh quit trying to bust my balloon!  At least until June 3rd!

Smooches til then!
AA

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 03:04:49 am »
Honey, WHO CARES ABOUT KENTUCKY?  They don't vote for Democrats in the general election.  Nor does West Virginia or *cough* Indiana.

Behind my gal Phil'q'aaha amd my man Barry...all the way, baby.

Brent
(Who makes odd comebacks)
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 03:15:31 am »

You have very short term memory.

Bill Clinton won Kentucky & West Virgina in 1992 and again 1996.   :)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 08:48:07 am »
Nor does West Virginia or *cough* Indiana.

Yes, I'm aware of the super-conservative area I live.  But, there have been more first-time voters (democrat) here than there has ever been.  And my congressman (Joe Donnelly) threw his support (and he's a super-delegate) behind Obama.  As did Tim Roemer, a past congressman.  Evan Bayh, however (who I really like), threw his support behind Hillary.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 10:21:27 am »
You have very short term memory.

Bill Clinton won Kentucky & West Virgina in 1992 and again 1996.   :)

Yes, and both Clintons are war mongerers that appeal to that sector of the electorate.  It amazes me that any progressive can swallow Hillary's disingenuous explanation of her politically expedient vote on the Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq Resolution of 2002.  I mean come on -- EVERYONE knew what that vote was for, and it wasn't to get UN inspectors to look around more.  It's as laughable an explanation as her sniper fire lie.  For someone who rants about "right wing conspiracies" she sure seems easily suckered by them.

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 11:02:35 am »

Ahhhh, philly, I am hurt, nobody cares about Kentucky.

Kentucky used to be very Democratic, but in the 80's went over to the dark side.  Fortunately, things are slowly improving.  Hillary will win big tomorrow and McCain will win by a huge margin in the fall.  What we need to work on in Kentucky and really get help from throughout the country is getting rid of Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, the mastermind of the Republican takeover of KY politics.
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 12:18:14 am »
Yes, and both Clintons are war mongerers that appeal to that sector of the electorate.  It amazes me that any progressive can swallow Hillary's disingenuous explanation of her politically expedient vote on the Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq Resolution of 2002.  I mean come on -- EVERYONE knew what that vote was for, and it wasn't to get UN inspectors to look around more.  It's as laughable an explanation as her sniper fire lie.  For someone who rants about "right wing conspiracies" she sure seems easily suckered by them.

If both Clintons are war mongers what do you make of Barack Obama?

When Barack Obama was running for a U.S. Senate seat from Illinois in 2004, he filled out a questionnaire for the Chicago Sun-Times answering “no” to this question: Would you have voted for the $87 billion supplemental appropriation for Iraq and Afghanistan?

Once elected to the U.S. Senate, Obama repeated voted for a series of war funding measures.

Obama said if elected in November 2008 he would be willing to attack inside Pakistan with or without approval from the Pakistani government.

Sounds a bit like warmongering to me.   :D

Peace & Love!
AA

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 12:26:45 am »
Now you're being as disingenuous as Hillary.  Funding troops in the field is different than launching a war, and you know it.  Fighting al Qaeda is different than going after non-existent WMD's in Iraq based on flimsy, knowingly hyped intelligence.  I'm about to come over there an yank out your tube, queen.  No wonder you're voting for her if you're that easily bamboozled.

btw, Hillary's campaign was caught bribing super-delegates today.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 12:29:40 am by philly267 »

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2008, 12:37:43 am »
You miss read again, Darlin'

Barack Obama said he would vote against FUNDING when he was running for his Senate seat.  Once in office he vote REPEATEDLY for funding. Once he was against it now he is for it.  You need to read more carefully before you type.

Hugs!
AA

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2008, 12:54:30 am »
It's still not an appropriate comparison.  And Hillary is still bribing people.

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2008, 01:08:27 am »
I'm merely saying that he has changed his position on this and many issues and seems to act more like a typical politic an then you are willing to accept.

In a 2003 forum on health care, Mr. Obama said he supported the children of illegal aliens' receiving the same benefits as citizens, "whether it's medical, whether it's in-state tuition." Asked specifically whether he included "undocumented" people, Mr. Obama replied, "Absolutely."

But in a CNN debate Jan. 21,  when Mr. Obama was asked whether his health care proposal covers illegal aliens, he said "no" and that he first wants to cover the U.S. citizens and legal residents without health care.

In 2004, Mr. Obama told an audience at Southern Illinois University, "I think it's time for us to end the embargo with Cuba. ... It's time for us to acknowledge that that particular policy has failed.”

However, he stopped short of calling for an end to the embargo in a Miami Herald op-ed in August. He said he would rely on diplomacy, with a message that if a post-Fidel Castro government made democratic changes, the U.S. "is prepared to take steps to normalize relations and ease the embargo."

Mr. Obama told an AFL-CIO group in June 2003: "I happen to be a proponent of a single-payer, universal health care plan."

But in one of the debates he said he has never endorsed such a plan.

Sounds like a typical politican to me!
AA

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2008, 01:21:38 am »
Apples to oranges.  I'm sure all of our dead soldiers appreciate your deplorably immoral and highly odious comparisons of Iraq with the offspring of illegal aliens and college tuition.  Are you even listening to yourself?

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2008, 01:35:42 am »
You miss my point ... I'm not comparing anything to anything.

I'm saying he changes his positions to meet his audience. 

I am against the war in Iraq and always have been.

I was against the first gulf war. 

I was against the invasion of Panama in 89.

I was against the airstrikes on Libya in 86.

I was against the invasion of Grenada in 83.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2008, 02:24:50 am »
You were against Grenada?  You were like 12!  If your issue with Obama is consistency, I'm not sure why that means Clinton is the better candidate.  Are you suggesting that she never changes her positions?

Plus is changing a position such a bad thing?  We have a President who consistently sticks to his guns!  Look at the mess that's got us in.  In any event, it's over.  If even a former West Virginia Klansman can see the writing on the wall and endorse Obama, game over!

The Wall Street Journal's opinion of Clinton's biggest flip flop:

http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2007/2/8/130258.shtml

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2008, 02:42:22 am »
You were against Grenada?  You were like 12! 

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2008, 02:55:05 am »
Actually, I was 13 ... I have followed politics since I was six. 

Geopolitics still fascinates me today.  I follow the election process going on in Zimbabwe just as closely as I follow the US elections. 

I think Angela Merkle would make a much better first President of the EU than Tony Blair.

Changing your position is not a bad thing.  Changing your position for political gain is.  Barack Obama voted for a gas tax holiday 3 times ... now he is against but he won't explain why it was such a great idea just a few years ago.

I'm not holding Hillary Clinton or John McCain in any higher regard.  I am however saying they are all politicans and Barack Obama is no different and I think you are naive if you think otherwise.

I will vote for Barack Obama if he is the nominee but I disagree on many of his positions but less than with John McCain.

AA

Offline Cliff

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2008, 04:51:58 am »
Yes, all politicians do change their positions from time to time, but I don't believe all politicians are the same.  I believe the Clintons (and it's a packaged deal) have some serious integrity issues.  They exemplify gutter politics.  As crazy and irrational as McCain is, I think I trust him more than I trust either Clinton, even if I agree with her policies more than his.  I don't think that because Obama voted for a state gas tax holiday but is now against a federal tax holiday makes him the same as Clinton.  I think a gas tax holiday is a foolish and short-sighted political gimmick that will hurt the US economy more than it helps it, so regardless of Obama's past state voting record I'm glad he's against it now!

As an aside, why do you believe Merkle would make a good EU President?

Offline randym431

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2008, 06:48:54 am »
I'll add my sustiva tainted 2 cents worth...
I watched Bill Clinton on cspan last night before Hillary came on stage. I think its probably over for her,
but its easy to see how the Clintons want to hang onto the dream. No doubt, their last chance in the forefront of politics.
So its not easy for them to toss in the towel. I understand that.
I also watched Obama at his rally, before the Hillary rally, on cspan. I still just don’t get the Obama craze.
They took questions from the audience and every question was answered by "during my first year" and also involved funding.
One lady ask about college funding for people (like her) that wanted to "go back" to college.
Again, she was answered with a "yes you can" and added funding would be there for her.
If Obama actually did everything he says, and during his first year as he states, and funded it all, well it just looks like empty lip service to me.
Just seems to be a reality check missing here. And a detachment from reality. Its like people aren’t really hearing what he is saying.
They just want to hear him talk and talk. I still just don’t get it.
Like the 80,000 crowd at the rally over the weekend. People bringing their dogs dressed up with Obama signs sitting in the grass all afternoon.
You know, probably only 20% actually could even see him or hear him with a crowd that huge.
Made me wonder, we’re they also giving away free hams???
If this is some sort of fad, what worries me is people drop fads as fast as they take them up.
Bottom line, I REALLY hate to see McCain get in, for 4 more years of further republican HELL. But I see it coming...
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2008, 09:31:45 am »
My partner is one of the many people who will be voting for McCain if Obama is the democratic nominee. One reason for his decision doesn't have as much to do with Obama as his supporters. There is a cult of personality regarding Obama that doesn't sit well with many people. Having immigrated here from Cuba he has a reluctance to vote for someone who's supporters view him as a larger than life. He also resents the people who will be voting for him just because he is black.

Another problem for Democrates is what is being demonstrated by this thread. As Clinton and Obama supporters attack each other it makes both candidates look bad. Republicans are not arguing and tearing down McCain.

Personally I haven't decided who will get my vote.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2008, 10:13:49 am »
I feel like I'm Alice and I've stepped through the looking glass. Has anyone bothered to read McCain's stand on the issues? Talk about a cult of personality, Grandpa's not a "straight talker" or a "maverick" just because the media says so. Does anyone seriously believe that any of McCain's positions will benefit the uninsured, or people with HIV? John McCain will be four more years of the same and if folks are happy with that then you should vote for him. But please someone point out to me one talking point of McCain's that could convince me to vote for him, one issue that makes him a better choice than either Obama or Hillary. Just one, I'm listening.

He also resents the people who will be voting for him just because he is black.

Statements like this chill me to the bone.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2008, 10:42:49 am »
Someone who moves from the Hillary column to the McCain column, is on crack.  Do you honestly think that she is closer to Saint John than she is to Obama on a VARIETY of issues?  Seriously?  Leave aside your emotional distress talking points and get to the red meat here.

Factor in that they're gay and with a partner who has HIV (sorry, can't recall if the husband-in-question has it) and you've really got some good times.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2008, 10:50:34 am »
My partner is one of the many people who will be voting for McCain if Obama is the democratic nominee. One reason for his decision doesn't have as much to do with Obama as his supporters. There is a cult of personality regarding Obama that doesn't sit well with many people. Having immigrated here from Cuba he has a reluctance to vote for someone who's supporters view him as a larger than life. He also resents the people who will be voting for him just because he is black.

Another problem for Democrates is what is being demonstrated by this thread. As Clinton and Obama supporters attack each other it makes both candidates look bad. Republicans are not arguing and tearing down McCain.

Personally I haven't decided who will get my vote.

Dear Ford, I do believe this is the most unnattractive post I have ever read from you.  And I realize you are stating so on behalf of your other, but still.  I must say that it sounds like your partner who has the race issue here.  And what?  Now that Americans are finally getting off their asses and paying attention - that constitutes a "cult of personality"?  Bah.  I don't think the case is that people are getting over hyped now, it's that we've been astonishingly under-involved previously. 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2008, 10:59:17 am »
Given the recent scandal with McCain's advisors, I wouldn't want to be associated with that man or his party in any way.

http://pol.moveon.org/charlieblack/video.html#facts?id=12678-9064

Edited to add:  Be sure to read the documentation.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2008, 11:01:10 am »
Also, beware of John McCain's *new* sham "progressive campaign"

http://www.openleft.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=5879

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2008, 12:01:04 pm »
I hope I express this properly.

Ya know...even though there are plenty of valid reasons to vote for Obama, I have to say there is perhaps a part of me that can understand even the notion of "just voting for him because he is black" as a part of one's decision making process.  And it's just this sort of sentiment expressed above that pushes me toward thinking so.

I'm sick to death of hearing "oh, he'll be shot as soon as he takes office" or "oh, people will only vote for him because of his race" or "oh, it will all be about race if he gets in" or "oh, everything he proposes will have to pass or it will be blamed on racism" or "oh, America isn't ready".

America needs to get freakin' ready, ok?  It's time.  Past time, really.

This great country of mine can be embarassingly juvenile sometimes, and this is one of them.  If all this horrible stuff is fated to happen if (gasp) a black man takes office, part of me wants to say "so be it".  Because it's always worst at the dawn of significant changes like this.  If America needs to have its time to behave like a bratty adolescent about this, then I suppose it's gonna have to happen eventually one way or another, right?  So it might as well be now, so maybe we can get past this childishness and grow up already.

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2008, 12:26:57 pm »
It ain't called the "audacity of hope" fo' nuffin!

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2008, 12:33:19 pm »
i struggled over how to phrase that post above.  it's just that part of me hears all this endless, ENDLESS race mess and has to wonder...if we are still truly there  at this late day and age, then maybe this is what needs to happen for my country.  if it has to be "a thing", then bring it and let's finally move on.  please.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2008, 12:42:45 pm »

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2008, 01:05:28 pm »
I relayed what my partner told me, not that I agree with him (now you see why he and I don't discuss politics). This weekend I was talking with a gay coworker who was adamant he wouldn't vote for Obama because he is convinced he is Muslim. ???  Right or wrong, there are people who freely admit that one reason they are voting for Obama because he is black and because it is time for a president who is not a old white man. I'm warning the Democrates, this is the mentality you are dealing with.

As far as what I think, I won't vote for McCain for one major issue: his stance on Iraq. I don't care what his position is on other issues; it is a deal breaker for me. Obama and Clinton are a toss up. They generally are on the same side of major issues. They both make pretty speeches but I think they are, like all politicians, telling me what they think I want to hear. I'm skeptical that either will be able to bring about "the change" that they are promising, mostly because a lot of what they are discussing involve powerful forces that they cannot control, such as the global economy.

I'm trying to decide whether to vote for the Democratic candidate or the Libertarian candidate. Of course the Libertarians don't have a snowballs chance in hell but I'm sick of the two party, us-or-them system in the US. We need a viable third party in the US. I agree with most, not all, of the Libertarian positions and the idea of voting for a principle rather than a person appeals to me. They, like the Democrates, have not chosen a candidate yet, so I'm waiting to see what the options will be.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2008, 01:18:14 pm »
I'm warning the Democrates, this is the mentality you are dealing with.

No offense, but much of this is specific to Appalachia.  Not all of it, but it's struck me that it's at a much higher level in that area.  You can see it in the primary vote breakdown if you look at a county by county map spanning that entire area, and it goes all the way from down where you live up through Pennsylvania's center.

Maybe a better question to ask is why this type of thinking is so specific to that geographical area.

source

Of the counties in which Clinton got 65 percent of the vote or more this year in head-to-head match-ups with Obama, all were in Appalachia.

btw, I believe homo-hatin' Bob Barr is going to be the Libertarian candidate now:

http://www.bobbarr2008.com
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 01:38:42 pm by philly267 »

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2008, 01:24:35 pm »
I relayed what my partner told me, not that I agree with him (now you see why he and I don't discuss politics). This weekend I was talking with a gay coworker who was adamant he wouldn't vote for Obama because he is convinced he is Muslim. ??? Right or wrong, there are people who freely admit that one reason they are voting for Obama because he is black and because it is time for a president who is not a old white man. I'm warning the Democrates, this is the mentality you are dealing with.

As far as what I think, I won't vote for McCain for one major issue: his stance on Iraq. I don't care what his position is on other issues; it is a deal breaker for me. Obama and Clinton are a toss up. They generally are on the same side of major issues. They both make pretty speeches but I think they are, like all politicians, telling me what they think I want to hear. I'm skeptical that either will be able to bring about "the change" that they are promising, mostly because a lot of what they are discussing involve powerful forces that they cannot control, such as the global economy.

I'm trying to decide whether to vote for the Democratic candidate or the Libertarian candidate. Of course the Libertarians don't have a snowballs chance in hell but I'm sick of the two party, us-or-them system in the US. We need a viable third party in the US. I agree with most, not all, of the Libertarian positions and the idea of voting for a principle rather than a person appeals to me. They, like the Democrates, have not chosen a candidate yet, so I'm waiting to see what the options will be.

This makes no sense at all. You're taking a couple of people you talk to, to make an informed decision? One mo believes Obama's a Muslim and you've heard people say they're voting for Obama because he's black. Would it make a difference to you if you hear people say they're voting for McCain because he's white? Frankly, I'm surprised this is how you're making political decisions.

Do you even know who the Libertarian Party candidate is this year? It's former Congressman Bob Barr of Georgia. Google him and see how much you guys agree on.

Offline woodshere

« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2008, 02:29:20 pm »
No offense, but much of this is specific to Appalachia.  Not all of it, but it's struck me that it's at a much higher level in that area.  You can see it in the primary vote breakdown if you look at a county by county map spanning that entire area, and it goes all the way from down where you live up through Pennsylvania's center.

Maybe a better question to ask is why this type of thinking is so specific to that geographical area.

You can say that same thing about Obama's support in heavily African American populated areas.  No matter how politically correct we are or how much we want to say race doesn't matter, the simple fact is that race is a major factor in this election.  Right or wrong, that is just the way it is. Why is he winning the African American vote by over 90%?  Obama is winning votes because he is African American, the same as Hillary is winning votes because she is female. 

As far as I am concerned there isn't a great deal of difference on the issues between the two.  I was at a rally 2 years ago when Obama spoke.  He was two hours late and the crowd was very restless.  When he took the stage it was instant excitement, he was phenomenal, and I would have followed him and supported him in any endeavor.  However, I support Hillary.  She is, I agree, a very polarizing figure and Obama seems to be much more the unifier and has the ability to make the country "feel" better.  But with such little difference in the two on the issues I chose Hillary because I want a female President, but more importantly looking at things the way they are I want a Democrat as President and I believe she is the Democrat who can win in the fall.

And Ford, I was thinking along the Libertarian lines until I realized that Barr would be the party's nominee and regardless of whether it is Obama or Clinton, it must be a Democrat so I have to vote the party.
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2008, 02:36:37 pm »
You can say that same thing about Obama's support in heavily African American populated areas.  No matter how politically correct we are or how much we want to say race doesn't matter, the simple fact is that race is a major factor in this election.  Right or wrong, that is just the way it is. Why is he winning the African American vote by over 90%?  Obama is winning votes because he is African American, the same as Hillary is winning votes because she is female. 

Except that's a fallacious argument somewhat because Hillary BEGAN the primary with a 30-point lead among African-Americans.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/andrew_sullivan/article3907239.ece

However, I support Hillary.  She is, I agree, a very polarizing figure and Obama seems to be much more the unifier and has the ability to make the country "feel" better. 

.... and I believe she is the Democrat who can win in the fall.

lolwut -- how is she more electable if, by your own standards and admission, Hillary is more polarizing and Obama more of a unifier?  Sorry, there's a bit of cognitive dissonance in your post, woods.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 02:41:40 pm by philly267 »

Offline woodshere

« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2008, 02:40:48 pm »
Except that's a fallacious argument somewhat because Hillary BEGAN the primary with a 30-point lead among African-Americans.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/andrew_sullivan/article3907239.ece

So you are saying she lost that lead and now only has less than 10% support among African Americans because African Americans support Obama strictly on the issues.  I don't think so.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2008, 02:42:08 pm »
So you are saying she lost that lead and now only has less than 10% support among African Americans because African Americans support Obama strictly on the issues.  I don't think so.

Did you even READ the article?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 02:45:31 pm by philly267 »

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2008, 03:04:50 pm »
Step away from the watercooler kids, numbers don't lie.

The latest national numbers from Gallup show some startling movement towards Obama among Dems who have been among Hillary's most reliable supporters.
It finds that Obama is now tied with Hillary among whites (47%-47%); leads her among women (49%-46%); edges her among Dems with a high school graduate or less (46%-47%); and leads her among Hispanics (51%-44%).

Those groups, obviously, have been the bedrock of Hillary's candidacy. The only major demographic group that Hillary gets 51% or more of are women aged 50 and older.

These numbers suggest that Obama's support is broadening daily, and that the party's rank and file -- in addition to its institutional players -- appear to be coalescing behind him.
[/i]

Offline woodshere

« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2008, 03:16:40 pm »
Did you even READ the article?

Yes I read the article, not once, not twice, but several times.  Sullivan, a columnist, does address the tactics used by the Clinton's, and how Obama has improved his percentages among certain white voting groups.  All I am saying is that race, as gender and for some sexual orientation, is a factor among how some people vote.  In a perfect world I would hope it wouldn't, but the fact remains it does.  Will it keep me from voting for Obama when he runs in the fall, of course not.  Let's just realize though that race has played a factor and will even more so.  

These numbers suggest that Obama's support is broadening daily, and that the party's rank and file -- in addition to its institutional players -- appear to be coalescing behind him.[/color][/i]

This is good, just as Clinton's numbers would improve if she were going to be the nominee.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 03:18:53 pm by woodshere »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2008, 03:24:13 pm »
Yes I read the article, not once, not twice, but several times.  

Oh come now -- you hadn't done so when I asked that question.  A mere 4 minutes had elapsed from the time I threw it up and the time you first replied. 

Otherwise you don't seem to accept Sullivan's argument that the Clinton's race-baiting throughout the campaign has pushed their 30-point lead among African Americans to what it is now.

In fact, it also pushed a lot of white voters over to Obama, myself included.  I was sitting on the fence previous to the SC primary.  Which begs the question -- why do their tactics horrify me so much but seem to just slide off of others backs? 

Offline woodshere

« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2008, 03:38:35 pm »
Do I accept ..."Sullivan's argument that Clinton's race-baiting throughout the campaign has pushed their 30-point lead among African Americans to what it is now." No I don't.  A factor yes, but the sole reason no.

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2008, 04:00:20 pm »
This makes no sense at all. You're taking a couple of people you talk to, to make an informed decision? One mo believes Obama's a Muslim and you've heard people say they're voting for Obama because he's black. Would it make a difference to you if you hear people say they're voting for McCain because he's white? Frankly, I'm surprised this is how you're making political decisions.

Do you even know who the Libertarian Party candidate is this year? It's former Congressman Bob Barr of Georgia. Google him and see how much you guys agree on.

I'm not making my political decision based on race and sex. Lots of people, particularly in my area of the country, are. Whether it is Clinton or Obama I want the Democrates to win. You can't just write people off as being Appalachian hillbillies because these people vote. Once the Democrates chose a candidate they need to make a better effort at winning over the people who don't think a racial minority or a woman can lead.

As far as voting Libertarian, as I said it would be more about the principle than the person. It would be impossible for a libertarian to win this election. I assume you are referring to Bob Barr not being "gay friendly". He writes that he would support getting rid of "Don't ask, don't tell" and letting gays serve openly in the military. I don't know his history extensively so maybe there is something you are referring to that I'm unaware of.

My problem with the Libertarian philosophy has to do with my belief that there are services that the government needs to regulate. These primarily include military defense, law enforcement, fire protection, healthcare and public education. Of course no party completely reflects my thoughts on the issues. I do think we need more Libertarian principles in our government.

As I said, I haven't decided who I will vote for. I'll probably end up caving and voting for the Democratic candidate just so McCain doesn't keep us in Iraq.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2008, 04:17:26 pm »
I assume you are referring to Bob Barr not being "gay friendly". He writes that he would support getting rid of "Don't ask, don't tell" and letting gays serve openly in the military. I don't know his history extensively so maybe there is something you are referring to that I'm unaware of.

Bob Barr authored and sponsored the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act.

“The homosexual agenda calls for taking these so-called marriage licenses to the mainland and the other 50 states, the other 49 states, and trying to force these other states, the citizens of these other states, to accept their bizarre view of marriage.” [CBS This Morning, 12/4/96]

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/06/13/barr-dont-ask/

Authoring something like that is the very antithesis of libertarian priciples, so in most ways I'd view him as a chameleon.

It's nice that he's finally "evolved" in his opinion about gays serving in the military, but you're probably going to want to do some research on his other views.

Oh, and Barr introduced a resolution to impeach Bill Clinton BEFORE Monica Lewinsky even came to light.

But hey, what a little fun?  Barr, an outspoken foe of abortion (like any good dashboard tin saint of family values in the Republican Party) was later exposed to having paid for his first wife's abortion in 1983, and later refused to answer questions about cheating on his second wife to be with what turned into his thrid wife. 

Quality guy there.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 04:19:00 pm by philly267 »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.