Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 07:07:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772997
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 225
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 184
Total: 184

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Finally ready after 5 years...  (Read 5999 times)

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
Finally ready after 5 years...
« on: September 17, 2010, 10:34:02 pm »
   Five years ago I was able to buy my (one of) my dream car(s). A 1957 DeSoto wagon. It is called a "Shopper" so it's perfect for those trips to the mall, Home Depot, or anywhere else you care to go and beat the living hell out of your bank account. The old boy needs quite a bit of work, but seeing as how I used to work in the Restoration field, this is mostly familiar territory. So after 5 years, I'm finally able to start working on it, as other things took priority such as buying a fixxer-upper house, cancer, transplants, ad nauseum... So I have spent the last few days prepping the car to pull the engine out in order to rebuild it this winter. So far I've got all the accessories off, as well as the radiator, core support, bumper, grille, and front sheetmetal all off. Everything is disconnected except the exhaust, which I will have to cut off with a power saw. If all goes well, I should be able to yank the motor out this coming week. It feels good to be finally working on my car, and I look forward to having it at least running next year, if not actually driving. After the engine, it's the braking system which I want to modify and convert to disc brakes. Then we shall see how it goes down the road from there. Will try to post a fw pics here, don't know if it will work or not, but here goes....

Gotta love an old V8. 325 inch (5.3L) 245hp

Mikey likes to help...

Lots of room in the engine bay

Ready to be pulled, everything out of the way

Have a great weekend everyone!!
CaptCarl

Edited to add: Didn't realize that the whole album can be viewed by clicking on pictures. Enjoy...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 10:39:25 pm by CaptCarl »
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
Re: Finally ready after 5 years...
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 11:51:38 pm »
This sounds like it could be a fun and rewarding project. I did a Google image search for it and it's beautiful, I could imagine Lucy & Ricky having one when they were living in Connecticut.

Offline weasel

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 01:13:20 am »

Sounds like your going good .

Great pictures .   I wish I had taken  more pictures when I took my DeSoto apart  ???

I found a great place that makes new aluminum gas tanks  ( cheaply )  . My next move with mine ,

before  finding a double Master  brake cylinder . 

Good luck with the project !  I found " Andy Burnbaum "  to have many  items , as did   EGGE

Carl
" Live and let Live "

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 04:42:51 am »
Carl,

Good luck with the restoration and the engine rebuild.  Nothing like rebuilding things !!  Years ago, it seemed every month, my friends and I would have some car in the garage, that we were working on, either rebuilding the engine, pulling transmissions, or pulling the rear-end, brake jobs... It never seemed to end,...Kept us out of trouble.   :)

I still do my own brake jobs, and most other work that I am capable of doing these days.  I just don't trust others working on my car, if you know what I mean.

Although I was never in the restoration business, I always enjoyed these projects, and I could see myself in the engine compartment like you were in that picture ! Thanks for sharing !  Looks like a big project !

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 04:48:21 am »
 8)

And yes, love the V-8 !!   :)  Been driving, 1.4 and 1.6 L so long, forgot what it's like !! Did a lot of work in the days,  on the old 283 !!

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 08:04:12 am »
Hey Carl, did you take all those engine photos so you had something to go by in order to put it all back together again? ;D Makes me think of when my brother-in-law took his Harley to bits and couldn't put it back together. He should have taken photos.

It also makes me think of Moffie. He would have loved this project.

Good luck with it Carl. Hope to see some after photos of the whole car.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline CaptCarl

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 10:37:54 am »
Hey Carl, did you take all those engine photos so you had something to go by in order to put it all back together again? ;D Makes me think of when my brother-in-law took his Harley to bits and couldn't put it back together. He should have taken photos.

It also makes me think of Moffie. He would have loved this project.

Good luck with it Carl. Hope to see some after photos of the whole car.

Ann-
   Yes exactly! It always seems as though you wil remember how things go together, but when you are doing restoration work, the time that goes by between dis-assembly and re-assembly can literally be years. This is the safest wy to do it. Plus also the organizing of parts during dis-assembly is critical. A five pound coffee can full of bolts tells you nothing of where they are supposed to go. So it's time to break out the zip loc baggies and magic marker. Remove a part and put the hardware in the bag, write on the bag  something like "Intake Manifold Bolts- (10) 9/16" Which tells you where they go, how many of them there need to be, and what size wrench you'll need to use. Put the baggies in a box with other related parts and mark the box. Also keep a notebook of assembly sequence.
   Yes Moffie would have loved it. We talked old cars many times. I would love to have met him in person.

Carl-
   Go get yourself a copy of Hemmings Motor News, available in any magazine shop. Anything you need for you car will be found there if it is to be found at all. Andy Bernbaum has a lot of stuff, but he can be a bit mercurial to deal with sometimes.

'50's cars are so cool to me, however to have a flashy car painted white is an abomination, the only thing being worse is tan :-\ So in the spirit of color, I will be painting Virgil in a vivid Turquiose and Black two-tone.

CaptCarl
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 10:40:06 am by CaptCarl »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 11:09:45 am »
hehehe... my brother-in-law did exactly that - put all the nuts and bolts in coffee cans. He used "Chock Full 'O Nuts" brand because he thought it was funny. He wasn't laughing when he tried to put it back together. I think he sold it as parts in the end.

Virgil's gonna be a very 50s turquoise and black eh? Can't wait to see the photos. Love the name.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline CaptCarl

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 11:21:23 am »
Quote from: Ann link=topic=34430.msg427905#msg427905 date=1284822585
Virgil's gonna be a very 50s turquoise and black eh? Can't wait to see the photos. Love the name.
[/quote

He is named after the man who designed the Chrysler Corporation line of cars from about 1955-1963, Virgil Exner.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 11:24:15 am »
By the way, could we see some before photos of the body work and interior as well? Pretty please? With chocolate and sprinkles on top? (of the please, not the car!) :)

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 12:40:57 pm »
Carl  great project   my Dad had a Desoto  four door "hardtop convertible"   we called it "Tuna Schooner"  because It was   sort of  shrimp colored and white with two huge antennae sticking out at the tip of each of those big fins   it was one of the few that came with the big Chrysler Hemi engines   great project car  , have fun

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 12:49:17 pm »

Cool stuff Carl.  Can't wait to see the finished results.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2010, 03:57:37 pm »
Captain, my Captain,

Is this the car used in one of your earlier avatar pics?  I have been driving my restoration project since 1998 a 1979 MGB.  This year, I gave up on it, I now have a 1979 Tarp!   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline northernguy

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2010, 05:59:34 pm »
I'd love to be that mechanically inclined.  The 1957 DeSoto Adventurer is one of my favourite cars.

Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline CaptCarl

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2010, 07:06:52 pm »
By the way, could we see some before photos of the body work and interior as well? Pretty please? With chocolate and sprinkles on top? (of the please, not the car!) :)

I'll snap some this week. I have others in my laptop so maybe I'll try to send those instead.  The interior is partially removed already, and I am going to change out the front seat for a set of swivelling bucket seats I pulled out of a '59 DeSoto FireFlite.

Nick- IIRC, the color you are talking about was called "Calypso Coral" and I really like it. I do have a set of the twin antennas for my car I got from a parts car. Not sure if they  were available on the wagons, but I still think they would look cool on it. It's shocking to see what a set of those things goes for on the rare occasion that they become available for sale, like around $1,000 or more. The Hemi in your dads car was normal for the DeSotos, Mine is a bottom feeder FireSweep, and as such only has the poly head engine linked to a 2 speed automatic. The non-Hemi cars are a lot less common than the Hemi cars, but that does not translate to them being more valuable or desireable 'cuz they're not unfortunately...

Michael- Yes it was used in an avatar pic at one point. 1979 Tarp ??? ???

Northerguy- One of mine too. I have an acquaintance who bought a '57 Adventurer convertible two years ago. It was very rough, needing pretty much everything. But it still had the Hiway-HiFi setup, which was a record player mounted under the dashboard. He paid over $30,000 USD for it in the condition it was in. When finished, the value should be somewhere in the $130-$150,000 range. As such it will always remain one of my dream cars....

CaptCarl
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 07:10:39 pm by CaptCarl »

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2010, 07:17:16 pm »
My Aunt had so many husbands, she was right up there with Elizabeth Taylor.  One of the 15 Uncles had a record player in his convertible.  The needle skipped every time he hit a pot hole   ;D  Have the best day
Michael
(who should mention a 1979 Tarp is a 1979 MGB, covered in my driveway)

Offline smiteler

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2010, 11:27:12 am »
neat car!
good luck with the ride.

i have the same hobby that i do with my brother and honestly, it is about
the only thing that is keeping me sane,everything else in my life can go
to shit,friends,jobs,relationships i could care less about it all
as long as i can escape and go work on the car, i'm good...

i wish the junk i have was in as good shape as that one
as most of my junk is about 15 years newer and alot more rusty
one rare car we have been working on and off for over 4 years now
and we have replaced almost every panel on the car from a few donar cars.
it still has a ways to go.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2010, 11:41:34 am »
I am going to change out the front seat for a set of swivelling bucket seats I pulled out of a '59 DeSoto FireFlite.

Oooo.... swivelling bucket seats. Sexy. Looking forward to seeing the photos. :)

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2010, 11:56:50 am »
My Aunt had so many husbands, she was right up there with Elizabeth Taylor.  One of the 15 Uncles had a record player in his convertible.  The needle skipped every time he hit a pot hole   ;D  Have the best day
Michael
(who should mention a 1979 Tarp is a 1979 MGB, covered in my driveway)

You're beginning to remind me of Bob Hope when he used to do the Christmas specials with cued laughter.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2010, 12:05:40 pm »
I wish there were a "like" button on these forums as on Facebook  ;D

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2010, 12:12:00 pm »
Great pics!

Question- were the "radiator dogs" stock or are they aftermarket?

Yes, would love to see some interior pics.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2010, 05:04:09 pm »
Hey Carl,

I was wondering how the DeSoto was doing.

When its done, will you show it off, like during pride? I would love to see it.

I love the turquoise and black combo.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2010, 05:56:35 pm »
Great pics, I love your helper.  Can't wait to see the end result, the turquoise and black sounds beautiful.  I did a 65 Ford pickup with my Dad when I was in high school.  Took it down to the frame, I thought I was never going to finish sanding that thing.

My dream car is still a 65 Ford Mustang, convertible, red.
Have fun!
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2010, 10:04:01 pm »
You're beginning to remind me of Bob Hope when he used to do the Christmas specials with cued laughter.

Bob Hope and most comedy shows from the early 1950's to the 1970's used the laugh track from Desilu Studios.  There was always the same female voice who screeched above the crowd, she was Lucille Ball's Aunt, watching I Love Lucy in the studio audience.

But back to the topic of dream cars... When I see a canary yellow 57 T-Bird, I want to be Phyllis McGuire because the mafia kingpin bought her one.  When I see a fire engine red 57 T-Bird, I want to be Ava Gardner because Frank Sinatra bought her one.  When I see the white 57 T-Bird, I want to be Susanne Somers, a man didn't buy it for her, it was a prop in American Graffiti but there would have been a Thighmaster in my future.  Finally, only weeks ago a black unmolested 55 T-Bird in near perfect condition showed up on Craigslist, Would the seller trade for a sailboat?  NO! he is afraid of sailing.  ;D  Have the best day
Michael
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 10:58:33 pm by Choofnhurl »

Offline CaptCarl

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2010, 06:24:10 pm »
Question- were the "radiator dogs" stock or are they aftermarket?

Will-
    The radiator dogs (aka: Mikey&Rindy) are most definitley aftermarket. Rindy is an '06 model, while Mikey is an '07 vintage. Considering how old the car is, (53 years) I shudder to think of what the original Radiator Dogs would look like. Multiply 53 by whatever number it is you multiply by to figure out dog years would, by my calculations, equal roughly Eleventy Thousand Billion Dog Years. Give or take  few. They'd be beyond Mummy.

Mikey always comes out to inspect while I am working on any of the cars. He doesn't hesitate to climb up on the engine of any vehicle. Witness....

You can see the DeSoto in the background.

Have a look through the album this links to. There are other pics like this of Mikey as well as a lot of stuff you might find interesting. Most of it dog or old car centric, as well as a ghost town , and my other four wheeled baby, Erma, my 1986 AMC Eagle wagon.

Mark- Perhaps, but  likely not. You see I made a bit of a bad name for myself about a decade or so ago concerning the gay pride parade. The Condensed Version: Was in the gay car club which was rub a bunch of (mostly) Uptight Queens. During Pride, the car club supplies convertables for use in the parade. There was a shortage that year, so I offered the use of my trusty old 1967 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40, as it was topless. It was aso not a show vehicle with faded paint, and scars from off roading adventures. I was rather pointedly refused beacuse the 'Cruiser wasn't nice enough. Later on the V.P. of the club who was a friend told me to bring it anyway, because they couldn't really keep me from being in the paraded if I wanted to, and encouraged me to come anyway just to stir things up.

So I did.

But before I did, i made sure to go out and play in a mudpit just before the start. When I was driving in formation with the other cars, there was still mud dripping from the suspension. It was plastered. Oddly enough, there wasn't a single  personn interested in riding along. Shifted the t-case in to low range, and just let it creep along at an idle, never even came close to getting hot, as well as being able to creep like that kept the clutch from frying. After all, it was designed to creep along for hours at a walking pace over big ass rocks without overheating, pavement is cake compared to that

I got a lot if thumbs-up from the crowd long the parade route ;D

As far as the prissy boys who did the primary complaining, their cars didn't do so well. One overheated severely, and the other puked it's tranny fluid all over the place. I politely offered a ride to the marooned passengers of both vehicles. I was politley declined in both cases.
Their lips were so tigh they were almost invisible...

As a result, A Gay Pride debut might be tinged with previous scandal. I will be more likey to bring it while it's still ratty looking. Now that option has quite  a bit of appeal, actually.

Ultimately, I see the car used to tow a small to medium sized vintage camper trailer. A Canned Ham type. I want two. A medium sized one for travelling, and a small one for used as a mibile art galery and display for doing art shows with, It would definitley get attention. I also plan to ultimately put in a big block V8 in it. They became optional the following year , and are a direct bolt in. No modification requied. I'll always be able to put it back to stock should I desire. I have a 413 in ((6.9L) out of a '63 New Yorker Stock it's a 350 hp engine, which should be entertaining. A good intake cam and exhaust, 400 should make it even more entertaining.

CaptCarl

« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 06:25:52 pm by CaptCarl »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.