Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:39:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 661
Total: 662

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Diabetes Symptoms?  (Read 4209 times)

Offline Lamek

Diabetes Symptoms?
« on: May 15, 2019, 08:21:46 am »
Hello everyone, I hope you are all having a good day.

I know you are not doctors, but I just want to get an insight from you. Maybe you had or are having a similar experience. 

I came to notice that, for about two months now...or probably way back, I am constantly thirsty, and urinating a lot. Also, my vision is surely changing. I already wear spects, but I thought maybe I just need new glasses.

But now I am scared! I googled my symptoms and they exactly match Diabetes diagnosis!

Did/do you guys experience these?

HIV and Diabetes is just damn scary! I'm now really freaking out! I am now starring at my sleeping pills and thinking to take a handful and sleep forever.  :-\ But I am scared to go to hell!

Somebody please advise?

Thank you so much!

Offline Lamek

Re: Diabetes Symptoms?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 08:31:59 am »
Oh, and I am constantly hungry btw...Also another symptom of Type 2 diabetes

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 08:34:41 am »
Hiya

Instead of scaring yourself by googling symptoms & jumping to conclusions simply see your GP.

Googling tends to bring the worse fears in people and search results, a while back I had an issue and, googled it myself despite the fact I should know better and I had if Ebola if i belied it! Now somehow I don't think so and, indeed it was just a reaction to my blood pressure/blood pressure treatment.

Anyhow see your GP and keep us posted.

Also just reading your other thread, I hope the Atripla meds are settling in now, it can take a few months to settle into new meds so give yourself time to adjust but key is also to take them correctly, in this instance on an empty stomach, you can also in addition try drinking plenty of water with them.

Best, Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Lamek

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 09:35:36 am »
Thanks a lot for feedback, Jim

I have actually switched to a new Regimen called Acriptega...it is a generic of Lanograv that I talked about in that thread. I have not really noticed any difference after switching yet...only the Atripla "crazy dreams" seem to have subsided.

The only convenience with Acriptega is can take it with food or on an empty stomach.

I still however have terrible insomia. Last night I only slept three hours but right now I don't even feel sleepy at all. But I know I am tired.

I will try to be positive (no pun intended) and focus on my work.

The thing that is really stressing me right now is my job! Nothing else besides that. I just fear I might not be able to keep up. I am managing a big project and i am a new employee...so i am required to keep things in check.

On Monday next week I am required to go for a Medical at work (every 9 months or so). HIV testing is voluntary (by law here)...thank goodness. I will just tell the doctor "I am not ready to know my status". But for the medical they require one to do physical exercises. I hope it won't be an issue for me. Maybe I will also try to get new glasses before I go, to improve my eyesight...they also do an eye test.

I also hope I will not get a false positive from the hiv meds, when I do a drug test.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 09:46:38 am »
Acriptega = TLD if i am not mistaken.

It can take time to settle in or could be the insomnia is unrelated. Do keep the Doc posted, however if it does not settle than you could try switching the time of day you are taking the meds to the AM without food, I say this as TLD contains dolutegravir.

Best, Jim

https://www.poz.com/article/morning-dosing-tivicay-may-ease-insomnia-side-effect
https://www.poz.com/article/tivicay-linked-greater-insomnia-compared-hiv-meds
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Lamek

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 09:54:02 am »
My biggest worry is that if I lose, or have to change my job, I will lose my medical insurance as well because it is linked to the company I work for, and I will not be able to take sustain myself.

While medication is offered for free here at government/public clinics, the service is humiliating, a once has to join long queues at the hospital. People in the western world (usa, Europe etc.) should be really glad to live in those developed countries. Some even have the privilege of having their medication posted to them. Wow..that just fancy.

Also, the other thing is that I cant discuss my status with friends or family. I am very popular here and highly 'respected' and have a huge circle of friends, and everyone know my family. Even worse my father is a bishop! This just puts so much pressure on me. Now I just wish I was a nobody.

Oh, and the other thing that is scaring me is the fact that here, any person working at any pharmacy can simply enter your name on the system and see an entire list of medications that were prescribed to you. I found this out at the pharmacy when I went to collect my new drug. and this was a different pharmacy, in a different city!

The same is true with any blood tests you have taken. Anyone working at any pathological institute can see your history.

So you surely can't keep a secret here!

Aaarrg!

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 10:16:36 am »
Hiya,

Yeah that's a lot of stressful thoughts. Do take a deep breath.

I am not going to dismiss your fears & concerns, however you do need to take things one step at a time and, focus on "what is" at the moment an issue and, not worry about what currently is not an issue or outside of your control.  Otherwise you will end up driving yourself insane & making yourself sick by stressing about "What if's" and "Maybe's"

While medication is offered for free here at government/public clinics, the service is humiliating, a once has to join long queues at the hospital.

Do people have to wait for other medications & treatment or care like this in the hospitals?

Not denying though that being within the EU has some privileges, although just to give you a clear picture though we (most people at my clinc) do have to wait around for meds about 3-4 hours wait in line, in a public hospital room off the main hallway so its obvious why someone would be visiting that room. This is the case though for many services and illnesses, so its not unique. As for the emergency rooms here (encase something happened) its sometimes 18-24 hour waiting time to be seen.

Oh, and the other thing that is scaring me is the fact that here, any person working at any pharmacy can simply enter your name on the system and see an entire list of medications that were prescribed to you. I found this out at the pharmacy when I went to collect my new drug. and this was a different pharmacy, in a different city!

To be honest sounds like your nation is ahead on us with this one, we want to have this here but government are still working on it and, its taking years to implement a uniformed IT system across clinics, doctors and pharmacies so that wherever you land for care your medications used & history can be accessed.  I was at a conference 2 years ago and still little progress today. 

Jim

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Lamek

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 12:40:26 pm »
Thank Jim.

I actually typed a long message and somehow lost it.

Yea these sections in public hospitals scare people to collect their meds. Some pay others to collect their methods for them.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 12:58:30 pm »
Yeah that can happen, I always copy the text before posting if its a long reply.

;) You will be okay, just take it one day at a time. Things are far from perfect in the world just keep in mind not everything needs or can be resolved at once. 
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Lamek

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 01:01:06 pm »
But hey, I really don't know how you guys remain strong. I'm really under a lot of pressure. And I know if my parents find out they are also going to be under a lot of pressure from society, so I'm avoiding telling them, or anyone for that matter.

The whole day today I was googling "ways to commit suicide", but now I remember that once you're dead they do an autopsy on your body and quickly they will know your hiv status. Thehe news will then spread..."an HIV suicide  :'(
It's also a terrible thought imagining people attending my funeral...I'm too young...my mom will just collapse. But what is really scary is the fear of what is behind death, growing up with a religious background.
I'm really ashamed!

Offline Lamek

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 01:01:56 pm »
Thanks Jim

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2019, 01:24:12 pm »
You're welcome.

I'm sorry you're in so much pain and, prehaps not what you want to hear right now but the way you are feeling should be reported to your doctor as well. Its not uncommon to feel lost post diagnosis as its a lot to digest and sometimes the meds can affect our moods particularity when starting out.

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but have you looked into any peer support groups in your area? Meeting people face to face has always helped me over the years.

hey, I really don't know how you guys remain strong.

Well if you mean me, i do not consider myself one of the strong ones. I just tend to get on with stuff, too busy with work, life, kids, travel etc and when something does come up i choose to not let the shit stick. If its outside my control then why worry about it and, if it is within my control i change it.

But what is really scary is the fear of what is behind death, growing up with a religious background.
I'm really ashamed!

There is nothing wrong with fearing death, if you ask me. When people don't i wonder if they have a screw loose  ;D. Thing to keep in mind is this falls into "can't change it " & "Not going to happen today" bucket, so not much point wasting life worrying about it.  ;) Whatever you believe or don't believe, it will ultimately be what it will be.

society

Society is whatever we make it, changes are sometimes slow but they do happen and life is long. First things first, take care of yourself today, take your meds, suppress the virus and be in a good head space, than worry about how are you going to contribute to changing society, because if you want a better one than it start with yourself, change the world one person at a time.  ;)

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Lamek

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2019, 01:37:55 pm »
Thanks Jim

I'm particularly not scared of death though. I'm not scared of being non-existent. I'm just scared of there's really he'land heaven. The thought of people attending my funeral is also scary...I would feel like I hurt them.

All ways to die, after doing my research, seem very painful. Arrg...I have also noticed that I have started driving roughly and at a high speed ..hoping that God takes me 'naturally'.

I have watched my aunt die of Aids when I was really young...but she was suffering from poverty too. Something keeps telling "you're next! What makes you think you're special!" And then I just loose it all.

But yeah, I'll try to be strong.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.