Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:52:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 243
Total: 246

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: "You are about to be logged out" warning?  (Read 3798 times)

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
"You are about to be logged out" warning?
« on: December 10, 2006, 05:10:11 pm »
Can the SMF software be configured to provide a user with a warning before he/she is logged out? 

I've spent valuable time composing absolutely brilliant posts only to press the Post button and receive the log in screen with a notice I've been logged out (well, duh!!). 

I have now set my log-out period to 320 minutes but it seems strange that this limit is so literal -- I'll get logged out in 320 minutes regardless of whether I'm typing a 20 page post or if I left my PC 2 hours ago and forgot to log out.  Some software checks for keystrokes or other activity to see if a member is idle or not and starts the log-out timer based on last activity.  Other programs pop up a little box on the screen saying "do something or you'll be logged out, dufus" (or similar).

I know I could stay logged in forever but I have an intrinsic dislike of being logged in long after I left the PC and went to bed or whatever.   Besides, the stupid Omnipass software I use with my fingerprint reader doesn't recognize the check box so I have to enter a value in the "Minutes to stay logged in" field.  I guess I can set it to 720 or 1440 minutes but I'm afraid of making the Internet explode...

Boo

P.S.  I know I can copy text I've typed before pressing Post and do so iften but my memory ain't what it used to be so sometimes I forget.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 05:12:10 pm by Boo Radley »
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline Longislander

Re: "You are about to be logged out" warning?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 05:15:21 pm »
OMG PLEASE!! I only log in for an hour, because I don't want this up on my PC, should anyone stop by and I forget to log out. I cannot tell you how many times I've had to rethink and entire post or PM!!  >:( ;D
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline Boo Radley

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 06:05:16 pm »
OMG PLEASE!! I only log in for an hour, because I don't want this up on my PC, should anyone stop by and I forget to log out. I cannot tell you how many times I've had to rethink and entire post or PM!!  >:( ;D

I suggest the SMF programmers write special code for you which would make a pop-up message occur and audio file start playing every 15 minutes of inactivity with something like "Hey, you diseased homo pariah, get back to work and stop wasting your employer's time here at this AIDS site!!"

As a former supervisor I have a very low tolerance for people spending work time on personal activities.  (insert winking smiley here).  I'm so mean I used to counsel some staff about getting too many personal phone calls.

Boo

P.S.  That is a joke, in case there is any question...

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline Longislander

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 06:10:14 pm »
Boo, I'm agreeing with you on all fronts! It's my PC at home, never at work! ;)

I just love the women at work who bring all their household billing and the sunday paper's coupons in these tote bags, and proceed to make sure that stuff is taken care before they start working!

(no offense beautiful ladies of AM!  :-\)
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 06:46:23 pm »
Hi Boo,

If you log on via the left hand side bar, there is a drop-down list there that will enable you to log on FOREVER! LOL... you can still log off by hitting the log off button, you won't be stuck logged in, but it won't destroy your posts either.

Hope that helps!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 07:04:25 pm »
I've had similar trouble with Myspace (Proud Addict Since 2003), where I'll write a long, beautifully written blog entry, and then the site goes down when I hit "post" which induces me to emit a stream of cusswords and God knows what else.  ;) 

Now, what I do when about to post something is just copy the text before I send it off into the ether.  This way, if something happens (which it usually does, computers sense fear), I can just paste it and try again.
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline Boo Radley

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 07:06:28 pm »
Boo, I'm agreeing with you on all fronts! It's my PC at home, never at work! ;)

My sincere apologies, monsieur.  My cats and dogs don't give a hoot what I do on the PC as long as they're taken care of, and the cats simply climb all over the keyboard if I'm being remiss.

I just love the women at work who bring all their household billing and the sunday paper's coupons in these tote bags, and proceed to make sure that stuff is taken care before they start working!

Many a checkbook and bills were quickly shoved under the nearest pile when I walked into the office.  After every PC in the library got Internet access I was often amused (not) by what I'd find in a minimized window if I used one of the service desk PCs.  When someone left a mail program open I'd send a message to the same address reminding the person to log off after finishing with email... ahem.

One of the people I hired as the department supervisor got the nickname "Little Robert" because she actually enforced departmental guidelines and rules in my absence.  She and I thought that was hilarious.

Boo
AKA Robert

Offline Eldon

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 08:24:41 pm »
Hey Boo...

MS Word or Notepad has saved many beuitifully written docs from being lost. Use one of them, then copy and paste it into the post window. It will save you a lot of trouble.

Happy Holidays!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.