Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 05:56:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773459
  • Total Topics: 66366
  • Online Today: 341
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 239
Total: 239

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 8 weeks since diagnosis  (Read 11340 times)

Offline eddieispoz

8 weeks since diagnosis
« on: July 20, 2021, 09:15:45 am »
Hello,

I have been reading many stories in this forum and it has really helped me come to terms with my own diagnosis and new reality.

I wanted to share my story, mainly because I wanted to feel part of this community rather than just looking in from the sidelines.

Up until 8 weeks ago I was a healthy single gay male who had never really been ill. I had a one night stand with a guy I met online and the rest, as they say is history. We had unprotected sex very briefly in the throws of passion! (about 2 mins lol) before I insisted he put a condom on, he did and that was that. Two weeks later I felt feverish, totally spaced out, full of aches and pains, developed a rash on my torso and developed receding and bleeding gums. To cut a long story short I got tested and was positive (warning to anyone reading this, you really can get exposed that quickly and without ejaculation) it was a complete shock as I have never been particularly promiscuous and always been very careful and practiced safe sex. I obviously contacted the guy after my diagnosis (it can only have been this one particular guy) he acted surprised but sort of shrugged the whole thing off and said he would get tested when he returned to his home country. I have a feeling he may have had suspicions of his own status but was either in denial or he knew. Anyway it takes two to tango and I am an adult who made the wrong choice but I have to take responsibility for my part, it was fully consensual.

My VL was in the millions and CD4 just above 600. I was prescribed Symtuza and Tivicay I started this medication 4 weeks after exposure, from what I have read this is a good place to start. After 2 weeks on meds my VL dropped to 140000 and CD4 rose to just over 1000. I had my bloods done again at the 4week mark and my VL had dropped to 1400, so things seem to be working and moving in the right direction. I have been lucky and had no significant side effects from meds. The only lingering symptom is my gums, which remain sore and receded. Has anyone else experienced this?

The diagnosis has hit me mentally much harder. For the last twenty years I have lived and worked in the Middle East, fortunately I was not diagnosed there (I so sympathize with people who have had the ordeal of deportation for testing positive there) however it means I have had to make the decision to start again here in Europe. This is hard as my network of work colleagues and friends are in the Middle East. I do have a couple of friends here and a fantastic brother and parents. My brother is the only person I have told (he has been great) I do not feel ready to tell anyone else and I have made the decision not to tell my elderly parents, I feel they would react like it is still 1987 and it would cause more concern and worry than needed and in no way help.

After 8 weeks I still am in the ‘shocked’ faze and have waves of real anxiety, some days are better than others. Reading people’s stories has made me feel that I am not going crazy and that I am not a bad guy and that we are all human. It seems the feelings of despair, guilt and anger are all part of the process.

My next blood work is early September, hopefully that will be good news and a turning point to get on with my life.

Thanks again for all who contribute to this forum, it has been such a comfort.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: 8 weeks since diagnosis
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 10:55:13 am »
Hiya,

I'm on the move but just wanted to post a quick note to say hi.

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis, glad to hear you have started treatment and that you have found the forum helpful.

Regarding the gums, never had any issue myself but see your dentist when you can. My aunt had receding gums a few years back.

Anyhow take it easy and keep us posted how you get on with your journey and with any questions you have along the way.

HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2021, 09:14:09 pm »

ojo.       Hi there!!….sorry for the dx, you don’t need to be promiscuous to adquiere hiv, if you don’t protect yourself even if it is your first time having sex, you might get hiv…well, now you know you are positive, now you treat it. I’m glad that your treatment is working, it’s just a matter of time and you will be UD and you will learn to live with the virus, the sooner you learn to live with hiv, the better, the medications will take control of the virus so you can take back control of your life…you are no alone, we are here for you…hugs

Ps. Take it from someone who has been living with AIDS/HIV for 27 years since dx, infection seven years before

Offline eddieispoz

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 04:54:24 am »
Just got my results back after my 3 month check. I’m now U=U 😀🎉

Offline Matths

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 08:02:50 am »
Wonderful! Congratulations. Keep taking your meds and live your life! Best Matt

Offline RMalongo

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 09:45:51 am »
Congratulations!! Always be positive 💪🏻

Offline Sparky39

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2021, 08:37:35 pm »
Just got my results back after my 3 month check. I’m now U=U 😀🎉

Congratulations..... Not to put a dampener on things but you need to be undetectable for 6 months to be classed as U=U (Undetectable = Untransmittable)

Offline eddieispoz

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2022, 01:44:15 pm »
The six month wait is over!!

I’m now officially U=U 😅

I feel like life is back on track and good again! 😊

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2022, 03:21:09 pm »

ojo.            Hi there!…congrats!!!, now that the meds are controlling the virus, you can take control, again, of your life and live a positive life, no pun intended. Remember that, in order to keep yourself UD, you need to be disciplined by taking your “vitamins” as prescribed and have a “positive” attitude…good luck and hugs.           ojo

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2022, 06:03:44 pm »
The six month wait is over!!

I’m now officially U=U 😅

I feel like life is back on track and good again! 😊

Excellent update, glad to hear treatment is going well and you feel back on track.
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.