Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:51:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773195
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 397
Total: 398

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: braces and HIV..=/  (Read 13795 times)

Offline snoofle

braces and HIV..=/
« on: June 12, 2007, 01:02:31 am »
hey guys, i recently just got braces (and feel too old for them) but anyways, i was just wondering if anyone who had braces out there (whether recently or a long time ago) experienced any issues when deep kissing or oral sex...i have read a few Q and A columns that said it is possible to cut your partners lips or gums with the braces..and i obviously dont want that to happen for fear of receiving any blood in my mouth since hes poz.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: braces and HIV..=/
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 01:17:25 am »
Hey Snoofle,

No babe, HIV isn't transmitted via kissing even if one or both of you have corrective orthodontic braces. HIV is a fussy and fragile virus which is very particular about how it is and is not transmitted. The human mouth is a very hostile place as far as viruses like HIV are concerned. Human saliva contains quite a few substances that actually inhibit the virus -- even if blood is present.

As for oral sex, well this is a subject of some debate. There is a theoretical risk of HIV being transmitted from a positive guy to a person performing oral sex on him, but I stress this risk is theoretical. There are no documented cases of HIV being transmitted this way as far as I know. Since people have real not theoretical sex, you should focus on real risks, not theoretical ones. Your partner cannot transmit HIV to you when or if he performs oral sex on you.

So no, your shiny new fang straighteners pose no HIV risk.

Regards,

MtD

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 08:55:13 am »
I had almost 4 years of braces  ::) and that hasn't stopped me from kissing and giving blow jobs, I just stopped smiling for 4 years :D

If the wire breaks, which is very rare, you will have a dangling thing in your mouth that will scare you more than wanting to blow someone, so when this happens, try to remove the dangling part and call your orthodontist. What is more common is to have one of the little brackets disconnect from the tooth.

None of my partners realized I had braces when I was kissing or blowing them, and I never felt braces when kissing someone with them. You may want to avoid people with a tongue piercing if you have the kind of braces that have large elastics or wires in the sides :)

As for the risk, Matty already replied grandiosely.

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 12:25:04 pm »
None of my partners realized I had braces when I was kissing or blowing them, and I never felt braces when kissing someone with them. You may want to avoid people with a tongue piercing if you have the kind of braces that have large elastics or wires in the sides :)  As for the risk, Matty already replied grandiosely.

Amen, brother!  I got braces on Christmas Eve 1998 and lived with them for 2 years.  I had a much bigger problem with keeping them and the spaces between my teeth free of debris than with wounding any man I kissed or fellated.  That being said, I did have one extremely well-endowed partner who liked to plow my throat get a bit too vigourous, pull bakc and to the side, and catch the corona on one of the rubber band hooks on the inside of a molar.  John was fortunate in not even cutting his penis, and it was apparently the only time that any of my partners realized that I had dental appliances.

Cheers,
David
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline bear60

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 10:02:24 am »
I have to tell you that there are braces now which DO NOT HAVE ANY SHARP THINGYS,  Really.  They dont even look like the OLD KIND of braces at all.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.