Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:00:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 342
Total: 345

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Eat This, Not That  (Read 14116 times)

Offline lucas clay

Eat This, Not That
« on: April 24, 2008, 05:29:51 pm »
http://health.yahoo.com/experts/eatthis/1488/6-fat-melting-food-swaps/

We all love fast foods

Lucas

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Eat This, Not That
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 06:35:25 pm »
Hmm, to be honest, I'm not all that fond of fast foods. I like my food to be nice and slow so I don't have to go chasing after it with my fork. I'm just lazy like that I guess.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 10:16:41 pm »
LOL...That's funny Ann!!!

Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 03:37:43 am »

Just the other day, Ed was reading an article in the paper, and asked me if I knew which one( the whopper or the Bigmac) had the lowest fat and calorie. I guessed that the Big mac was worse for ya. But, I was wrong.

I still enjoy my whopper( and other fast food) from time to time !!

Ray 8)
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 03:41:33 am »
 ::)

It's also 3:40 in the morning. Got to get back to bed, right after I finish cooking my hotdog !!
 ( I am used to eating at this time)

Take care----Ray  :)
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline knowdifferent

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 12:10:15 pm »
I've seen the guy that wrote that book on the Today Show a few times and I'd like to eat him. :o YUM!

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 01:15:33 pm »
Wow.  100 burgers average per year?  I still have to have a Wendy's double cheeseburger from time to time, but I don't have more than one per month.  Someone must be making up my deficit.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Funkengruven

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 02:55:50 pm »
There is a book called "Eat This, Not That" by the editor of Men's Health Magazine (I pretty sure that's the guy), and I love it.  It's an interesting read, full of colorful pictures and has actually been pretty handy when dining out.  If I'm going to eat at a chain restaurant, I may as well do my best to order a healthier choice.  There is also a nice section at the back about what to buy in the grocery store

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 05:34:02 pm »
Funny how when given a choice between this or that. I always seem to prefer the one you are not supposed to eat.
The pizza, burgers and doughnuts are the only examples given which I would eat if offered.

I don't think the turkey sandwich would apply to me because I don't eat anything with mayo. If I had any dressing at all on my sandwich it would be italian dressing. 

I try not to eat anything at McDonald's unless it is breakfast. Those burgers gross me out for some reason and the chicken nuggets leave me feeling bloated and guilty. LOL

I don't like Domino's crust. Its like eating Chucky Cheese pizza. Not for adult consumption.

Cinnamon rolls smell great and taste good but they make my stomach hurt.

I don't like beer.

I don't drink smoothies. I'd rather have a chocolate shake. But it has to be one made with real scooped chocolate icecream. I don't want soft serve vanilla with chocolate syrup. It taste different.

Fortunately for you the list ended and I don't have anymore nutty opinions to give you on what I will and will not consume.

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 07:26:56 am »
Wow.  100 burgers average per year?  I still have to have a Wendy's double cheeseburger from time to time, but I don't have more than one per month.  Someone must be making up my deficit.

Not me ! I think I had about 10 last year, from In & out and Red robin. Maybe 1 or 2 so far this year.

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 01:08:50 pm »
Yeah I dont eat burgers very often either. 1 per month would be a lot for me.
I eat a buncha buncha chicken breast.

If you are what you eat I'd likely be at least 1/2 chicken breast.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 01:17:29 pm »
Actually lots of time if I really crave a burger I just make one at home, and I use ~96% lean ground beef.  I don't really count such things as "bad" :)

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 01:18:53 pm »
I prefer the ones made at home.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 05:17:25 pm »
I eat fast food but I try to limit it. Subway is my fast food place of choice especially now that they have foot longs for $5, which for me is two meals. You can eat fairly healthful at the chains if you stay away from anything fried.

FYI- the Carl's Junior Double Six Dollar has 1520 calories and111 grams of fat!

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 05:52:51 pm »
I had to Google Carl's Junior Double Six Dollar. We dont have Carl's Jr's here.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 06:38:50 pm »
I have been trying to eat healthy , I got the the bad lipid thing going on along with diabetes .

I was at the grocery store today where a friend caught me at the meat counter holding some thick center cut pork chops , He said those look great . I was kinda embarrassed when I had to tell him that I wasn't buying them , I was just looking .
Getting old is gonna be kinda boring if all I can find to lust after is pork
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2008, 06:52:04 pm »
Can't you trim the fat off of a pork chops and just grill it?

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 07:18:57 pm »
Butterfly chops are white meat. I thought they might be healthy if you cooked them right.

There is a joke somewhere in here about getting porked but I cant come up with one for some reason right now.  ;D

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 07:20:45 pm »
Can't you trim the fat off of a pork chops and just grill it?

I do eat all kinds of things in moderation , mostly baked or grilled . Summer time is a hard time of year for me to watch my diet . Every where I go someone has the grill fired up filled with ribs , steak and bratworst . The main reason I did not buy the pork chops  is I know before the week is up I will be at the beach with a beer in my hand and a plate full or something full of fat .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2008, 07:23:20 pm »
Butterfly chops are white meat. I thought they might be healthy if you cooked them right.

There is a joke somewhere in here about getting porked but I cant come up with one for some reason right now.  ;D

LOL , yep the next time I get porked it will be by a pig
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.