Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:50:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772963
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 215
Total: 215

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: grey hairs question  (Read 9133 times)

Offline ademas

grey hairs question
« on: October 02, 2006, 03:15:03 pm »
I got grey hairs.  Lots of 'em.  I didn't notice too much until I got my hair cut last week, and the lady used a black cape to drape over me.  I was a bit shocked at how much grey there was, to be honest.

My hair is kind of a dark blonde, and it lightens quite a bit in the summer, so the little bit of grey I've had for the past 5 years or so hasn't been noticeable.  That's not the case anymore. 

It's starting to get very noticeable, and it's not a cool Anderson Cooper grey, either.

I've never colored my hair, except for a couple of radical things I did in my late-20's...but I'm seriously considering it now. 

Do you color your hair?  Do you have it done somewhere, or do you do it yourself?  Do you try to match the natural color of your hair, or do you do something more radical?

Just curious...

Offline Alain

• I am.
Re: grey hairs question
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 03:37:14 pm »
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 09:21:02 pm by cowandalehouse »

Offline MSPspud

• Joined Mar 2005 - Formerly UofMurbs
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 03:39:38 pm »
I have the same sort of hair you do.  For the most part it's greying at the temples, which leaves me with the option to cut it with a 2 guard and then a 1.5 guard around the edges.  The shorter it is, the more the greys are hidden.  It's not until week 3, that it becomes noticeable again.  I say WTF is wrong with grey though ???  :)

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 03:44:00 pm »
I say WTF is wrong with grey though ???  :)

nothing at all babe! woof!  :D

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 04:29:48 pm »
Ademas,
   Like you I have medium blonde hair, and I found the first greys a few years back, It was at then end of a very long and bad day.Finding them made me laugh, and still does 'cuz I never thought that I'd live long enought to see them. IF I were to color my hair, I would make in the most un-natural shade of whatever color I chose, just so there would be none of that "Is it natural? Or Miss Clairol?" bullshit. If I pay good money to have it colored, you bet your ass that I want it known. I keep think something in a shade of Crack Whore Red would be nice...
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline MSPspud

• Joined Mar 2005 - Formerly UofMurbs
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 04:38:29 pm »
Yes, Carl is right.  It's almost impossible to duplicate a dirty blonde w/o it being green or god knows what. 

I'd either highlight it or grey it enough to be Anderson Cooper like. 

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 08:43:19 pm »
I started to go grey when I was about 23. Fortunately I'm ginger haired and it's not terribly noticeable. Pity my brother however, who with black hair started the whole salt and pepper thing when he was 19.

Sucks to be him. ;)

MtD

Offline swede_dish

• I feel like an angel baby wrapped in a candy cloud
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 08:54:46 pm »
I found a grey hair last week....my great gramma went white by age 30....this scares the poop out of me..

Why do I have a feeling I'm going to end up like older lady on Judging Amy!
"I married a German. Every night I dress up as Poland and he invades me. "
-Bette Midler

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 09:02:40 pm »
Hey Jenn, I think you'd look dashing with a blue rinse. ;)

I found a grey pube the other week. Admittedly it was in a sandwich, but there it was nonetheless.

MtD

Offline CaptCarl

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 09:11:56 pm »
Matty,
   Why on Earth are you carrying your lunch around in your shorts?

Offline Teresa

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2006, 09:17:13 pm »
There is nothing wrong with grey hair! :)

I am 48 and I have alot of grey. I have earned every one of them. Raising 2 kids, getting my brother thru his cancer, and now dealing with hubbys HIV. I have dyed my hair a few times thru the years and my hair grows so fast it was a never ending job of keeping the roots touched up. Nothing looks worse than having grey roots! So i let my grey sparkle and shine. My 2 sisters who are older have a little more grey than I do and they don't dye their hair either. We all started getting grey in our mid 20s.

Teresa

« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 10:03:24 pm by Teresa »
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2006, 09:20:31 pm »
Matty,

Matty has his reasons. ;)

MtD

Offline swede_dish

• My blog
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2006, 12:47:22 am »
Hey Jenn, I think you'd look dashing with a blue rinse. ;)

It will go nicely with my stir-up leggins, orthapedic clogs and my "Kittens : An American Tradition" T-shirt.

Oh and my visor. I'm a swede. I can't handle the sun.
-Bette Midler

Offline Christine

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2006, 10:04:08 am »
I have grey hair...lots of it. I started to color it went I first noticed the greys, I did it myself, but I always had roots, and the color was never right. It just got to be an a pain in the a** to keep up with it, so I let it grow out.

I like it, and think it looks pretty good. One thing I really dislike is to see older men who have really bad dye jobs....ooooww. Now, an older man with a great hair cut, and striking grey hair, that looks fabulous!

Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2006, 10:35:16 am »
LOL @ Jenn, thinking she's going to end up looking like Tyne Daley....

honey, I don't think there's much chance of that.....at least for about 45 more years.....then, who cares??? :-*
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline CaptCarl

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2006, 12:07:09 pm »
Jenn,
  If you're worried about looking like Tyne Daly, just don't gain the extra three hundred pounds and you'll have nothing to worry about

Offline David84

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2006, 02:32:20 pm »
My honey and I own a salon... you'd be surprised at the number of male colours we do!! Personally, I'm letting mine go.. Its our merit awards!! IF you decide to join the ranks go for the highlights and/or Redken Shades EQ.  It blends and washes out slowly so do don't get defined roots.

Who would have thought after leaving healthcare I would be doing this?!?

Hugs

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2006, 03:18:04 pm »
I'll never colour my greying hair. Never never never.

I'm glad I've lived long enough to grow any at all (and I've earned every one of them).

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline swede_dish

• My blog
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2006, 03:55:50 pm »
I aspire to look like tyne daily....minus the extra 300 lbs...which somehow I doubt that I could gain even if i wanted to.
-Bette Midler

Offline et in arcadia ego

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2006, 04:00:05 pm »
Yup, I color my hair. White. As you can see.

mike
(who, in reality, went gray in his late 30s and never considered hair - or beard - dye).

Offline Terry

• 7/13/82 Infected
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2006, 09:23:11 pm »
Matty,

Gives a new meaning to the phrase “Let’s do lunch.”  ::)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2006, 11:11:13 pm »
As you can see, I haven't a grey hair on my head!

I do have one or two in the beard,  ::)

Oh, and the pubes, they, too are going grey, but only in a few spots.   :o

Does anyone know how hard it is to dye pubic hair? EEP!

HUGS,

Mark

[attachment deleted by admin]
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline IzPoz

• God, grant me the serenity...
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2006, 12:12:46 am »
My grandmother was grey at a young age, my father too... At 13, I started to notice a patch of white in my head... at the top.  By 14, my friends called me Pepe Le Peu (lovingly!)... Now, at 38, I'm what they call "salt and pepper".  I have dark brown hair with grey highlights.  I've tried coloring it a couple of times, but said screw it after the first month or two and realized how much work it really is to try and maintain a color balance.  Then the way the chemicals made my hair feel like straw...

Grey is the way to go!!
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

Offline Nadine

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2006, 07:01:40 am »
I have grey hairs and I've earned every one of them!

But yes, I do dye it, myself...to my natural blonde color.

Oh and Mark...leave the pubes alone!  :D

Offline carousel

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2006, 07:15:02 am »

« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 12:32:16 pm by carousel »

Offline Poz Brit

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2006, 11:54:45 am »
I started going grey at 16, by the time 30 hit, I was white, but strangely other bodily hair has not changed. I am 56 now and gratefully still have hair.

John(UK)

Offline Dray

• Gents Canine Society
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2006, 11:49:25 pm »
Gray hair is great...but if you don't like it high lights are the way to go.

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2006, 02:52:11 am »
I'm getting grey around the edges, but in that hot "daddy" manner... ;)

Had to shave off the full beard as it made me look quite old, but the goatee suits me just fine.

I don't see grey pubes, but lotsa grey chest hair right in the middle (still dark on the belly though).

Speaking of dyeing pubic hairs....i had an old battleaxe nurse friend MANY years ago who used to read those trashy "True Hollywood" and "True Detective" magazines at work (you don't see those mags anymore).  She solemnly informed me that she found out that Mariilyn Monroe would hire a personal assistant just to dye each individual public hair with peroxide to get that "platinum blonde bombshell" look.  And that the pain was excruciating.

You'd have thought she was schooling me in the Catechism by the look on her face.

John

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2006, 02:56:39 am »

I found a grey pube the other week. Admittedly it was in a sandwich, but there it was nonetheless.

MtD

Funny you should mention that Matty because that is where I started going gray first as well. I made light of the situation by saying if someone put their mouth down there, they might hear an echo... :D   Since I braid my own hair, I have noticed a few gray strands but I wear them with pride. Am looking forward to my hair going gray, then I can one of them gray rinses....Gonna be gray and still be sexy..the new generation of spinsters.... ;D :D ;D :D ;D
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Oh501sguy

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2006, 06:06:57 am »
I just started getting a few grey hairs this year.  I've been thinking about coloring, but I have a really nice medium brown.  Ill hate to lose it, but like many of you...I have earned them.

What really ticks me off is the grey in my gotee.  I have colored that, used a eye brow pencil... eventually Ill just let it go.  What scares the hell out of me is when I get grey in my chest and pubes!

Really... carrying your lunch in your shorts?  Hmmm!   

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2006, 10:35:49 am »
There is a great way to keep the grey out of the pubes - it is called a razor!  :o

I know people who shave religiously. It really is a fad these days. I have, in the past, indulged in this practice and may again when the whim strikes.

Even better is to do this with a good, or at least trusted, friend.  8)

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2006, 11:01:32 am »
the mop up top is still holding steady, but i do have more salt than pepper on my face if it grows out.

not to mention the grey- no, snow white rogue chest hairs that emerge from time to time.

~+
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Oh501sguy

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2006, 06:36:27 pm »
Just one question:  Has anyone really looked at the price of razor blades these days?  Man those things got pricey!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2006, 07:02:02 pm »
Oh, I use every blade till it starts to pull. I would use a straight razor but I would cough and cut my throat. Then I would have to clean up the blood. It wouldn't be pretty.

GRAY? Is there any other color?

Offline emapeal

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2006, 07:06:06 pm »
Hey emapeal here -- there are products -just for men --that make products taht only color the grey --otherwise it is a very messy project- but the products that target only the grey are fairly neat and easy to use.
 :o

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2006, 07:18:27 pm »
 :),

I always notice the gray hair, especiallly  when I get a hair cut. I am also dark blond, Clairol , makes natural instincts for men. ("dark Blond "( M-5)) is written on the box. Been using it for about five years and works very well. 15 minutes application time, on dry hair, little longer time for more gray. Works very well for me, and it looks natural. You can get it at almost any pharmacy...

Ray

( I still don't look like the guy on the box, when I am done applying it :P
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2006, 07:20:37 pm »

What was that commercial from years ago..." only your hairdresser knows for sure"... ;D
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline bluelove

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2006, 09:17:08 pm »
I have started to get them.

And yea l colour my hair.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.