Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:08:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 379
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 350
Total: 351

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: TATTOOS AND PIERCINGS  (Read 21977 times)

Offline andres101984

TATTOOS AND PIERCINGS
« on: April 24, 2011, 06:01:08 pm »
Hey everyone....
There's a concern that I've had in my mind for sometime now....I'm a big fan of tattoos and piercings, and I've been dying to get one, but I'm a bit scared of the risks...
Is it safe? What are the risks?....should I do it?
BTW....I'm having my doctor's app next May 4th to check my Cd4...hope they've increased!
See ya
Diag: 08/12/2010
11/03/2010 1st Lab: CD4:200 - VL: 250,000
04/05/2011 2nd Lab: CD4:358 - VL: 81
15/06/2011 3rd Lab: CD4: None taken - VL: UD (Yayyy!!!)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Re: TATTOOS AND PIERCINGS
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 06:06:26 pm »
Andres, as long as it's a reputable tattoo parlor, and they use sterile equipment for each person, then there's no worries.  I've had 8 tatts since being diagnosed, and have had piercings (nose, eyebrow, and lapel), plus ears and have had no problems.  Just follow the instructions for the healing process, and make sure they're on the up-and-up.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline klouny

• ~ can you see me now~
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 06:12:27 pm »
 I agree with BT

if the tattoo parlor is following protocol ( which they should)
using sterile needles, wearing gloves. this are all things to protect BOTH the artist and client from getting anything. so it should not be a problem.

my advice would be for you to talk and get too know a good tattoo artist in your area. I don't think the risk are any greater either if you take the right precautions. remember a tattoo IS an open wound, so make sure you don't get an infection by properly keeping it clean and making sure it's healing properly.

I'm "naked" at the moment ( no tattoos ) , just have my tongue pierced ( re-opened it a couple of times myself ). so it shouldn't be a real problem in my opinion.

hope you have good numbers :)
~Strange ideas are Superfluous and unoriginal~

Offline weasel

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 06:50:55 pm »

Andres , Be very careful !
    One of the guys  in our support group lost his LEG from a BAD Tattoo Artist's lack of cleanliness !
     They are kewl  , See Dennis's  Bunny-MAN !  F'n hot !

But make sure they are clean & safe !

Carl

" Live and let Live "

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 07:00:30 pm »
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline andres101984

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 07:14:15 pm »
Thx everyone for the info....
Now I'm really dying for getting a tattoo....I have several in mind, but the first one I want are the words 'Valens, Sapientia, Vis, Tranquilitas', which translate 'healthy, wisdom, strength and tranquility' in latin...I'm still figuring out where to do it, it would be cool across my chest, or somewhere I'd be able read it.

Thanks again for the info and will keep you posted about my results in my next doctos app.

Greetings from Colombia!! (that's with an o, not an u hehehe)
Diag: 08/12/2010
11/03/2010 1st Lab: CD4:200 - VL: 250,000
04/05/2011 2nd Lab: CD4:358 - VL: 81
15/06/2011 3rd Lab: CD4: None taken - VL: UD (Yayyy!!!)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 12:35:29 am »
Just curious.  I've thought about getting one also.  Did those who got tats after diagnosis inform the artist?  Is there an obligation to do so?  I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be having a homophobic/AIDS fearing artist performing permamemt work on me.
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 02:48:43 am »
Just curious.  I've thought about getting one also.  Did those who got tats after diagnosis inform the artist?  Is there an obligation to do so?  I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be having a homophobic/AIDS fearing artist performing permamemt work on me.

This is an excellent question.  Many say we should tell all our medical providers and dentists, and not just so they can watch out for HIV related issues.  Should this apply to tattoo and piercing artists as well?

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 09:09:33 am »
I've never informed the artist who did my tatts, or the ones who did my piercings.  They used the correct precautions, so really I saw no need.  I went to a reputable parlor, and knew the artist doing the tatts.  I believe it's a bit different situation when seeing a doctor or dentist.  Of course, this is just my opinion.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline bear60

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 10:07:09 am »
My partner and I just got tatoos.  He is on blood thinners and had to stay off them for 2 weeks so he could get the tattoo.
Other than that, I dont know of any real problem for an Hiv positive person.
True, its got to be a clean and sterile proceedure.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 10:53:54 am »
Don't be afraid to question the tattoo artist (or a person doing piercings) about his or her safety precautions. A good artist will be happy to answer your questions. If they don't want to talk about it or don't seem to know much about it, run, don't walk, to another artist.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 11:14:44 am »
This is an excellent question.  Many say we should tell all our medical providers and dentists, and not just so they can watch out for HIV related issues.  Should this apply to tattoo and piercing artists as well?

If your tattoo artist is taking out your teeth or gall bladder you should probably tell him you have HIV, Teddy. 
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 12:33:58 pm »
The time I disclosed I did so because they wanted me to sign a form stating that I didn't have HIV amongst a host of other things. I refused to lie and they promptly gave me my money back (I had already paid when they started up this bullshit.)

In Montreal, however, they didn't ask and I didn't tell.

Offline weasel

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 01:54:27 pm »

With the amount of YOUR  BLOOD   sopped up during the tattooing  .

How could any of you NOT think  you  should NOT tell the artist you have HIV !

I find that  to be a bit self centered and  a  compleat lack of any conscience !

Get real people that is why HIV / AIDS  is here !

Because  of people that THINK  their HIV is THIER business   >:(

You all pissed me off !   

Carl

" Live and let Live "

Offline wolfter

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 02:15:57 pm »
Damn!  I manage to piss so many people off just for asking questions.  I've never had a tat, or seen one performed.  Didn't even know there was blood loss involved.  But hey, I guess I got my question answered.

Offline weasel

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2011, 05:26:44 pm »

It ain't you Wofter  ;)

But these people that have had or seen people getting tatoos  KNOW BETTER !

Grrrr. 

I have spoke ,

Carl
" Live and let Live "

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2011, 08:09:37 pm »

It ain't you Wofter  ;)

But these people that have had or seen people getting tatoos  KNOW BETTER !

Grrrr.  

I have spoke ,

Carl

Humm funny, in the state of calif. they will still tattoo you even if your HIV + I didn't lie, and I had to sgin some papers stating I was POZ+ if I wanted all 2 of mine, the 3rd one I did myself, it's a cue-ball ( 8 ball) on my left bicept , however in Calif. they take the nesscesary procautions, and every tatoo shop in that state abeids by the law , if they don't the state dept of health will shut them DOWN and yank the license ;D
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 08:17:28 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2011, 08:20:05 pm »

I just wanted a tattoo.  Because there was no needle sharing or sex involved I figured I'd give the guy the pleasure of unknowingly tattooing a HIV+ person.   

Offline denb45

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2011, 08:23:21 pm »

I just wanted a tattoo.  Because there was no needle sharing or sex involved I figured I'd give the guy the pleasure of unknowingly tattooing a HIV+ person.   

Every State is different Tomas, it was the same form that you sgin even if your not POZ, I anwsered YES, and the artits thanked me for being honest about it, same thing w/ my nipple PIERCINGS  :D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline wolfter

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2011, 08:57:23 pm »
I no longer want one either.  Mayber Rev L was partially correct?  It does cause too much focus....I kill me

Offline denb45

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2011, 09:02:03 pm »
I no longer want one either.  Mayber Rev L was partially correct?  It does cause too much focus....I kill me

wolfter  :D :D :D you can get one, but you have to be careful, ask a lot of questions, like Ann said, if they cannot answer them very well, than I would get one @ other Shop  ;D

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2011, 09:12:48 pm »
If you are using a reputable artist, they will be using universal precautions, so disclosure of your status is not required. Don't you think that artists know that people can lie and the only way to keep THEM safe is to use the proper procedures. Knowing your status will not cause them to do anything differently. That's why they call them universal precautions, so they work for every customer, every time.

Also, never ever get a tattoo when you are drunk.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 09:17:50 pm by killfoile »

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2011, 09:46:20 pm »
Also, never ever get a tattoo when you are drunk.

Never pick a tattoo artist while drunk...  I did and have a screwed up aztec sun on my leg to show for it.  The face ended up looking something like this:

Offline denb45

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2011, 09:58:09 pm »
Never pick a tattoo artist while drunk...  I did and have a screwed up aztec sun on my leg to show for it.  The face ended up looking something like this:

:D :D :D

Offline weasel

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2011, 12:04:10 pm »

ROLLING ON THE FLOOR LAUGHING MY LITTLE BUTT OFF    :o
" Live and let Live "

Offline weasel

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2011, 02:06:10 pm »

Andres , Be very careful !
    One of the guys  in our support group lost his LEG from a BAD Tattoo Artist's lack of cleanliness !
     They are kewl  , See Dennis's  Bunny-MAN !  F'n hot !

But make sure they are clean & safe !

Carl

I have been corrected !   Our Friend got  HIV from the Tattoo !

He then LOST HIS LEG with the TATOO on it to a motorcycle wreck .

" Live and let Live "

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2011, 02:10:37 pm »
OK, I'll bite -- how does one "get HIV" from a tattoo, Karl?  Or should I assume that the needles were being shared, i.e. it wasn't done under standard licensed tattoo guidelines?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 02:15:57 pm by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline denb45

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2011, 02:11:44 pm »
   I have been corrected !   Our Friend got  HIV from the Tattoo !

He then LOST HIS LEG with the TATOO on it to a motorcycle wreck .

:'( but I bet he still hot tho, bob & I know a few guys like this, and they are sexy butch HOT men to boot  :P

Offline denb45

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2011, 02:15:52 pm »
OK, I'll bite -- how does one "get HIV" from a tattoo, Karl?

Just like I got teh aids, shooting up smack, it was probably a dirty tattooing needle......u can get HEP c and HIV that way in-case you didn't know that  ;)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 02:17:37 pm by denb45 »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2011, 02:17:02 pm »
Just like I got teh aids, shooting up smack, it was probably a dirty tattooing needle......

Yeah, I edited my post -- previously we were all discussing professional tattoo parlors that follow guidelines, not tattoos given in a dark hallway at the state maximum security prison.  Keeping in mind as well that Karl was the one screaming about HIV disclosure in tattoo parlors, etc.

Offline denb45

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2011, 02:19:31 pm »
Yeah, I edited my post -- previously we were all discussing professional tattoo parlors that follow guidelines, not tattoos given in a dark hallway at the state maximum security prison.  Keeping in mind as well that Karl was the one screaming about HIV disclosure in tattoo parlors, etc.

Yeah you have to be very careful, I don't think I'd get one here in New Mexico  ??? I already have 4 of them  :-*

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2011, 02:24:11 pm »
In Philadelphia a tattoo artist has to take health classes, blood borne pathogen training, how to run a sterilizer, ultra-sonic, do emergency situation training, etc.  It's all regulated and licensed and consequently there are a lot of up-and-up tattoo parlors and you see tons of tattoos on people.  It's the same in NYC though tattoo parlors weren't legalized until about a decade ago.

Offline denb45

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2011, 02:28:03 pm »
In Philadelphia a tattoo artist has to take health classes, blood borne pathogen training, how to run a sterilizer, ultra-sonic, do emergency situation training, etc.  It's all regulated and licensed and consequently there are a lot of up-and-up tattoo parlors and you see tons of tattoos on people.  It's the same in NYC though tattoo parlors weren't legalized until about a decade ago.

California is the same way  ;) however they were legal only 15 yrs ago

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2011, 03:43:14 pm »

With the amount of YOUR  BLOOD   sopped up during the tattooing  .

How could any of you NOT think  you  should NOT tell the artist you have HIV !

I find that  to be a bit self centered and  a  compleat lack of any conscience !

Get real people that is why HIV / AIDS  is here !

Because  of people that THINK  their HIV is THIER business   >:(

You all pissed me off !   

Carl

Carl, while I'm a big proponent of being out about my hiv status and agree that everyone should tell their medical care providers, there's really no reason to tell a tattoo artist.

They MUST treat each and every client they work on as though they have hiv or hep C or any other blood-borne pathogen. After all, how many people don't even know they have hiv or hep C? How could those people disclose what they don't know?

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2011, 04:40:45 pm »
speaking of piercings (i know this has mainly been about tats but the title does mention the other), I'm having a very ow-y moment as I accidentally ripped out one of my nipples rings a little while ago. :o

The sad thing is it didn't happen during anything nifty like a bar fight or wild sex. When I was cutting down a tree last week, it was so dead that the top half (30ft or so) broke off while I was using the chainsaw and came crashing down, crushing part of the fence. The fence wasn't too badly mangled so today I was out there trying to straighten it out some more. Well as I leaned over the fence, part of the chain link caught the ball on the end semi-circle nipple ring and yanked it right out of my right nipple :o as I pulled up on the section of fence. It took me a second to even realize what happened. I was like, what the hell just happened?!?! Ow. Hey! Where's my nipple ring? OW! Oh, that's what happened!

There was little bleeding and it wasn't until about 30 minutes later that it really began to hurt. I've put neosporin on it and have held ice on it for the last hour or so. Thankfully it was a straight tear with little bleeding so hopefully it'll heal back up in one piece. Sadly, online resources say it'll take a while (as in a couple of months) to fully heal, and then I will have to have it re-pierced. Ow!
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline denb45

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2011, 05:40:10 pm »

OUCH  Mikie  ??? I had to take both of mine out about 5 yrs. ago, I just couldn't stand them anymore, your suppose to turn-them on a daily basis, but, lazy me didn't, so they got all crusty, and that was that, I still have the rings tho, same thing happen to hubby to  :-[

Offline weasel

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2011, 06:57:33 pm »

ANN , I agree with you .

BUT  not all people are bright !

I just always lean to the safe side . I do not want anyone to be infected by me .

MISS P .   Really ?  You really can't imagine a tattoo artist not being clean ?

I won't go there  :D

I also do not want a nipple ring ripped out   :o

ta ta , Carl

" Live and let Live "

Offline denb45

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2011, 07:02:18 pm »

ANN , I agree with you .

BUT  not all people are bright !

I just always lean to the safe side . I do not want anyone to be infected by me .

MISS P .   Really ?  You really can't imagine a tattoo artist not being clean ?

I won't go there  :D

I also do not want a nipple ring ripped out   :o

ta ta , Carl

Carl & all of you that don't know? I wish I never got both of my tits done, you loose all feeling in the nipples, well @ least I did, now that they have been out for a number of yrs. the feeling has started to come back a little bit, had I known this I would have NEVER done it back in 96, so they aren't for everyone  ;)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2011, 07:34:39 pm »
you loose all feeling in the nipples, well @ least I did,
oh not for me! Mine were sensitive both before and after the piercings. with the right person doing the right things, I don't even need to touch myself to get off. ;) Luckily, I had someone that knew what they were doing just the other day.... cause ain't nobody going to be messing with this one nipple for a while. (but that does leave the other one available  ;) ) It's still very ouchy ... but sorta in a good way, like when it was first pierced.  8)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline denb45

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2011, 07:41:55 pm »
get well soon mikie, and let it heal, and thanks for the pics  ;D bob & I really did enjoy them  flap, flap, flap flap  :P WOOOOF  GRRRRRRRR   ;)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2011, 08:16:06 pm »
***shiver***

Offline wolfter

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2011, 08:28:44 pm »
Oh Mikie, when I first saw this pic, I had to click off.  I can't imagine!  I've never had a piercing either and am pretty sure I won't.  This image will forever be burned.

Greg

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2011, 08:34:25 pm »
This image will forever be burned.
but that's just the bandaid. :D I took a pix without the bandage; but except for some redness and a speck of blood, you can't really tell anything. So I'm really hoping because the wound was so quick, so clean, and started to close up so soon that it's going to heal properly.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2011, 08:54:45 pm »
Carl & all of you that don't know? I wish I never got both of my tits done, you loose all feeling in the nipples, well @ least I did, now that they have been out for a number of yrs. the feeling has started to come back a little bit, had I known this I would have NEVER done it back in 96, so they aren't for everyone  ;)

I prefer clamps. :)

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2011, 08:59:49 pm »
I've gotten two tattoos -
here in Florida - at least where I went - there is a questionnaire that asks about HIV status.
However, I was negative when I had both done -
A friend who is positive got his done at the same time lied when responding on the form - which probably occurs more often than not....
Thus, another reason for universal precautions.

Definitely look around the tattoo shop - make sure they have proper, working sanitizing equipment, etc.

Also, ask questions about their procedures regarding safety and sanitation - if they are reputable, they won't mind answering.
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2011, 09:20:01 pm »

ANN , I agree with you .

BUT  not all people are bright !

Carl, then we both agree. While I would most likely disclose my hiv status to a tat artist, I would also question them very closely about their safety precautions. I certainly do not want to infect any one else, and I REALLY do not want hep C again. Hep C is the more likely virus that is going to be transmitted by unsafe tattooing practices.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Basquo

« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2011, 08:15:36 am »
California is the same way  ;) however they were legal only 15 yrs ago

Really?? That's weird. I got a tat in Laguna 25 years ago. You're saying that setup wasn't legal? Or you mean California only set up licensing 15 years ago?

Offline denb45

« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2011, 10:20:46 am »
Really?? That's weird. I got a tat in Laguna 25 years ago. You're saying that setup wasn't legal? Or you mean California only set up licensing 15 years ago?

I'm not sayin it wasn't legal, but, did you ask to see that Laguna, Ca tattoo-shops current Health Certificate and it's Business license?  I sure would have  ;)

California Tattoo Laws
CALIFORNIA HEALTH AND SAFETY CODE
DIVISION 104. ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH
PART 15. MISCELLANEOUS REQUIREMENTS
Chapter 7. Tattooing, Body Piercing, and Permanent Cosmetics

119300 thur 119308 Health & Safety.

For purposes of this chapter, the following definitions shall apply:

(a) "Tattooing" means to insert pigment under the surface of the skin of a human being, by pricking with a needle or otherwise, to produce an indelible mark or figure visible through the skin.

(b) "Body piercing" means the creation of an opening in the body of a human being for the purpose of inserting jewelry or other decoration. This includes, but is not limited to, piercing of an ear, lip, tongue, nose, or eyebrow. "Body piercing" does not, for the purpose of this chapter, include piercing an ear with a disposable,
single-use stud or solid needle that is applied using a mechanical device to force the needle or stud through the ear.

(c) "Permanent> <cosmetics" means the application of pigments to or under the skin of a human being for the purpose of permanently changing the color or other appearance of the skin. This includes, but is not limited to, permanent eyeliner, eye shadow, or lip color.

(d) "Department" means the State Department of Health Services.

(Added by Stats. 1997, Ch. 742, Sec. 1. Effective January 1, 1998.)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 10:28:50 am by denb45 »

Offline Basquo

« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2011, 01:07:21 pm »
I'm not sayin it wasn't legal, but, did you ask to see that Laguna, Ca tattoo-shops current Health Certificate and it's Business license?  I sure would have  ;)

Are you kidding?? 25 years ago I was 20 and invincible. Of course I didn't ask!  ;)

Offline denb45

« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2011, 04:17:48 pm »
Are you kidding?? 25 years ago I was 20 and invincible. Of course I didn't ask!  ;)

:-* me too, or @ least I though I was invincible, when I put the dirty rig into my arm  ???

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.