Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 08:52:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773516
  • Total Topics: 66380
  • Online Today: 449
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 311
Total: 311

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I don’t qualify for HASA due to T-cell count. Didn’t they change this?  (Read 5049 times)

Offline Ejt52

Hello, I’m new to this forum and happy to have found it. I’m hoping someone has some knowledge they can share. I have been homeless for a few months and I am tired of living on the streets. I was encouraged to apply for HASA benefits and, yesterday, I went to the men’s shelter in nyc which is the point of entry for services. I was told that I would not qualify because my t-cell count is above 200. I thought that that qualification was changed in August 2016 to just a HIV diagnosis. I’m hoping that I am right. I will speak to someone else tonight but now I’m scared. Anyone know about HASA? Thanks for any and all advice.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
A google  answer for you I admit.
Hope it helps and wishing you all the best

Jim

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/hra/help/hiv-aids-services.page

HIV/AIDS Services
Notice: Starting August 29, 2016, you no longer need to have HIV-related illness to receive HASA services. All NYC residents with HIV or AIDS who meet financial need requirements are eligible.

Read HASA Frequently Asked Questions

HASA assists individuals living with AIDS or HIV illness to live healthier, more independent lives. The program can help clients with individualized service plans to target necessary benefits and provide support that is specific to their medical situation and that will enhance their well-being. HASA clients receive ongoing case management and are assigned to a caseworker at one of our HASA centers, located in all 5 boroughs.

HASA services include intensive case management and assistance in applying for public benefits and services, including:

Medicaid
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits
Cash assistance
Emergency transitional housing
Non-emergency housing
Rental assistance
Home care and homemaking services
Mental health and substance abuse screening and treatment referrals
Employment and vocational services
Transportation assistance
SSI or SSD application and appeal

Applying for HASA
ServiceLine is the single entry point for applications, information, and referrals for services. Applicants are typically referred by medical and service organizations though applicants can also directly contact ServiceLine.

To establish eligibility, an applicant must have been diagnosed, at any time, with HIV illness or with AIDS as defined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

ServiceLine is in operation from Monday through Friday, 9 AM to 5 PM. The primary contact number is 212-971-0626 or for TTY machine: 212-971-2731. The unit is located at:
400 Eighth Avenue, 2nd Floor, New York, NY 10001
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Ejt52

Thanks for the speedy reply, Jim. This was my understanding also. Hopefully I will get to speak to someone who is more current in the qualifications. I’m not one to make waves, but I really need these services. I’m too old for the streets. The only other alternative is to not take meds in order to lower my t-cell count, which is absurd. 
Was just wondering if anyone else had the same experience.

Offline Ejt52

UPDATE...I met with a counselor and I have a referral to HASA on Monday. Hoping this will be a game changer in my life.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.