Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:26:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 382
Total: 382

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: PASSED HIV TO SON, NOW HAS RESTRICTIONS ON WHAT TRAINING HE CAN TAKE  (Read 4789 times)

Offline Begud

My son is turning 18 coming December.  Has been living with the virus all his life.  he is currently doing his A levels.  He wished to be a pilot since he was young.  Recently he made enquiries for the training, was told he qualified but would not enrol people who are HIV positive.  Then Opted to do the engineering side (aircraft engineer) the story was the same.  My son is in Africa, he is very upset.  I have been looking after my children on my own as the father passed away 13 years back.  I wanted my children to have the best i can give them in life.  I feel so angry with myself as I feel I have let my son down, by passing this virus on to him.  Can anyone suggest a good course my son can take up that HIV will not restrict his abilities. Im in the UK working day and nite to make ends meet. Please help

Offline Lostgirl

Re: PASSED HIV TO SON, NOW HAS RESTRICTIONS ON WHAT TRAINING HE CAN TAKE
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 07:57:42 pm »
Hi Begud

I can understand how upset your son must be at having his career hopes dashed in this way.  Please don't blame yourself - you know you did not pass on the virus through choice and you have already proved your devotion to your children by your hard work and love. 

Now as for joining the Forces.  I am not able to answer your questions about where he goes from here but I guess from what you say about your son being in Africa that his career would have been in that country.  His first option is to talk to a career's adviser that is already in the know about your son being HIV+ and one that your son can trust and talk openly with.  Is there such a person?  What about the person he already talked to about pilot/engineering careers?  Were they unable to point him in the right direction?  If he is interested in engineering, the world is crying out for trained engineers and many Companies are offering traineeships.  There would be absolutely no need for anybody to know your son's status in the public field on engineering.  I understand this would not be his first choice - obviously the Forces are. 

Of course my information is relevant to Britain, where you are at present.  Does your son have the option of joining you in the UK if his field of opportunities were greater there?  Is this feasible for you financially to have him join you there?  There are many, many options still open to him.  Let him know how much you are looking into these for him rather than dwell on having passed on the virus to him and shutting the door on his first choice.

Don't think that only the HIV has prevented him from joining.  I was involved with University RAF cadets many, many years ago and out of 20 of them who all wished to join the RAF professionally, only about two ever made it to pilot positions for many, many other reasons.  Eyesight, height, other health reasons, aptitude - the list of obstacles to be overcome were enormous, so in the end he may not have made the grade for so many reasons.  I can assure you that these guys I knew who had spent their whole high school years, university years, and many many interviews later wishing above all else to become pilots, to have their hopes dashed so late on was far more devastating than finding out from day one.  Your son is young and if his A levels are good (which I am sure they will be) he will have a wonderful field of careers to choose from.  I know you will do everything in your power to help him achieve this and be aware of this.

Wishing you and your son every eventual happiness.
LG

Lostgirl

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 08:21:12 pm »
Begud,

I was wondering the same thing as Lostgirl; would your son be able to pursue his dreams in another country with less restrictive laws? 

Please don't guilt-trip yourself.  I know if you could have it another way you would and so do you.  You can't change the past, only the present.  Please concentrate on that and just keep plugging.

And welcome to the forums.
  Luv,
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline shotis

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 05:41:17 am »
hi

sorry to hear that sad story, but hopeful and inspiring taking into account your son's aspirations. I live in the uk as well and as that goes i think the best option for your son is to be here in the Uk. This country has given people like us many options that I never thought will ever happen. There are many organisations here that will provide your son with adequate information based on his abilities and his willingness. Least to say that sky is the limit. I dont know whether you have heard about THT they offer advise on anything from personal to returning to work and education. Universities have equal opportunity policy and data protection law and are bound by these laws to offer education unbiased. As you say you are working hard I am sure you can bring your son here as long as you can prove that you can support him. There are many charities that can help you here in uk e.g crusade.. hope this will help...

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.