Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 12:12:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37634
  • Latest: Hope007
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66329
  • Online Today: 222
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 193
Total: 193

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What's In Your Butt ????  (Read 5878 times)

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
What's In Your Butt ????
« on: June 07, 2006, 03:13:03 pm »
 ;D We haven't had a good 'Whats in Your..' thread in the new forums yet or a recipe thread so Ill kill two birds with one Butt:
Boston Butt/Pork butt that is which is actually from the Pork Shoulder. Go Figure.
 It makes for a great roast, butt, :-[     it really is at its best heavily seasoned and slow cooked untill it can be shredded or "Pulled" with a fork , its a classic for BBQ fans everywhere .
I currently have two Butt Roasts ( does that equal a complete ass ?) ready to go, the first will be  cumin and chile seasoned for Tamales and Enchiladas, ( recipe below)  and I'm going to try something different on Butt #2, an Italian spice blend for lasagna and Ravioli filling.. 
Does anyone have any great spice rub recipes for Pork roast or Ribs I've found an avalanche of them on the internet but they tend to be really similar.
 Anyway as the Summer Grilling Season begins I thought some BBQ recipes would be apropriate.
Also can some fellow BBQ fans help me clear something up aboutthe major styles of BBQ seasoning ?
Am I correct that:   

Memphis Style = a sweet sauce, lots of molasses honey etc...
Kansas City Style = a  Tangy vinegar sauce ( or citrus juice or something similar)
Texas Style = dry spice rub only, and No sauce and usually cooked over Mesquite  ????????
I wanted this to have a strong Cumin Taste for Tamales, it does.

Tamale/Enchilada Rub

3 Parts Ancho/ or other dried chili powder (not a blend)
3 Parts cumin powder
1 Part Garlic Powder
1 Part Onion Powder
1 Part Mustard Powder
1 Part Black pepper

* I use Tablespoons for 'Parts' but anything will work

What No Salt???  I salt the roast before I put the rub on but dont go crazy you can always add more later but you cant take it away.... and be pretty liberal with the rub mix, you want to over season somewhat to make up for the flavor fade that happens over the long cooking time . Anyway put your spice rubbed roast in a roasting pan covered or wrapped in foil  in the fridge overnight. First thing the next morn. pop it into the oven at 270 degrees for about Six or Seven hours, fat side UP. Covered with a lid or Foil. Yes, your house will smell like a Taqueria.
Technically it will be done in about 90 minutes ( internal temp around 170) but it will take the extra hours to become 'Falling apart' tender , the final internal temp will be around 190 but dont worry it wont be charcoal.
Shred with a couple of forks  & Break out the Tequila.

The Italian one will use sausage type spices, mostly Rosemary and Fennel If it comes out OK Ill post the exact recipe....
Enjoy your (_^_)   
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline Oscar

• 20 Years POZ
Re: What's In Your Butt ????
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 04:23:53 pm »
When will dinner be ready? I will bring desert (key lime pie) & a case of Corona.

Offline BB

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 06:06:20 pm »
;D Who's on third and What's on second and I forget the one on first, butt I really only care about the guy that scored anyway! So Who cares what his name is cause Who is next and What's a distant second...

Sae, is there an arseicon for revolving door butt?
Damn the Torpedoes! Full speed ahead! Adm. D. Farragut.

Started Atripla 8/18/06 and if I eat the right food when I take my meds, I get to go on a-trip-la.

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 06:09:39 am »
I like to brine my butt overnight, then insert garlic cloves, and rosemary into slits all over.
Food Lion has them on sale this week. Good idea hun. I haven't had any butt in a long time.(double entendre) ;)
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline Lwood

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 09:35:11 am »
I hadn't thought about brining, I usually brine Country Style Pork ribs in a salt sugar and Apple Cider mix -( dont use Hard cider the alcohol will make them tough, besides why waste good alcohol? )  Ive also used Cherry juice in a pork rib brine with O.K. results but Apple cider is the best one Ive found so far....Im sure it would work well in a roast, and if you whipped up an apple cider vinegar bbq sauce or maybe a Granny Smith apple chutney that might just win the Pork Sandwich Blue Ribbon. 
Pork Butt is without a doubt the best deal going I just checked, and the Sams Club price is $1.27 a pound which added up to about $17.00 for a two Roast Pack. with the exception of a few ounces of bone and Fat   its ALL meat
Even One roast is way more than we can handle and it usually goes into the freezer after a few days of gorging.
A local BBQ place sent me a flyer recently, their Pulled pork sandwiches were just over $6.00 and for picnics, Pulled pork sold for the bargain price of $9.50 a pound. WTF ? does it come with Shaved Truffles or something?
 I'd like to get in on some of That $$$$.... 

OH , I found a fairly good deal on a Forschner Santoku - Forschner has been rated pretty well by Americas Test Kitchen and others...  http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fofisakn7.html 

I'd Love to have this one....http://www.surlatable.com/common/products/product_large_details.cfm?prrfnbr=15867    well, maybe If I open a Pork Emporium.

Ill definitely brine the next one, ( and use plenty of Garlic!!!!)    but it may be awhile..

Offline Lisa

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 10:42:48 am »
Darn it Lwood!!!!
Did ya have to wave the neato knives under my nose? Now I have a raging case of knife envy. :P
I learned scads of cool preparations for pork products from my ex-mother in law. Her parents(and the Mr.too) came from the old country, where pork was the only meat in decent supply. As people who lived through WWII, the only fresh meat they could find was often a little "over", so often vinegar was used in the cooking process to cover the gamey taste of the meat.
I have another interesting little recpie to try sometime.
Back in the day, pork ribs used to be pretty cheap, and she would buy these giant slabs(10 kids to feed) and spend a good portion of the day with the slabs braising in a giant pot. Once the ribs had reached the desired tenderness, she would then add equal parts(cans) of saurkraut, and pork&beans. The first time I ever saw her make this, all I could think was EEEEeeeeeeewwwwww, but in fact it tasted quite good.
Someday remind me to tell you about fried macaroni.

Offline Lwood

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 11:31:34 am »
I've Made Fried Macaroni !!!! I used some leftover Macaroni and Cheese cut into squares and coated with breadcrumbs !!!!  Ribs and Saurkraut are a pretty logical combination  I unfortunately only eat Saurkraut around Octoberfest but some braised cabbage is never far away... and neither are 'Pigs in a blanket'  -drools-
Another regular on the table here is pork Loin  not those tiny things either, the Big Boys about 5'' in Diameter and two feet long...Ive seen them sliced into thick 'Chops'  stuffed with seasoned bread crumbs  and sold for a premium price as 'Thick Cut Boneless Pork Chops"... Please!  for the price of Two of them I can pick up a whole loin and make my own stuffing out of dried apricots and walnuts and maybe some dried sage  and truly eat 'High On The Hog !!!
I heard that Chutney and vinegar sauces were developed for meat that wasn't quite at its peak of freshness but I like them just the same... I found a recipe for Cranberry chutney a few years ago and Ive never gone back to the Traditional sweet relish...

Offline Lisa

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 11:57:08 am »
The fried macaroni I'm talking about is exactly that. Boil the mac until el dente', drain and rinse(to stop the cooking), place in a large skillet with an equal amount of chopped onion, and fry in oil of your choice until browned. I use gray salt that I get from the international market.(5lb bag for 2.99$) and pepper to taste.
Nuthin but onion, and mac. The first time she showed me this, I fell in love with it. I haven't made any in ages.
Matter of fact, I think I will today. I esprecially like to add about three or four hungarian peppers sliced into it.

~drool~

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.